2014 New York Yankees season thread Vol. (84-78) .. Essential's Offseason thread coming soon

Blue Jays outfielder Melky Cabrera once again presents quite an interesting free agent case, as Mike Petriello of Fangraphs explores. Heading into his age-30 season, Cabrera is very well-placed in the upcoming free agent market, and Petriello thinks that a three or four-year deal makes sense in spite of Cabrera’s baggage. Some clubs will be willing to forgive his previous PED issues, and Petriello notes that a qualifying offer may not be a major impediment if teams with a protected first-round pick — he suggests the Phillies, White Sox, Astros, and Padres, and potentially the Reds and Mets — make a run at Cabrera. Ultimately, his value could settle somewhere in the range of three years and ~$40MM up to Curtis Granderson‘s four-year, $60MM deal.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

The Yankees are not far off from facing yet another round of questions with regard to embattled third baseman Alex Rodriguez, writes Joel Sherman of the New York Post. Though simply cutting him loose surely has some appeal, given the uncertainty of his ability to perform (to say nothing of off-field considerations), Sherman notes that doing so would prevent any chance of recovering some portion of the remaining $61MM owed Rodriguez if his hip issues ultimately trigger an insurance payout. Sherman argues that the club should have Rodriguez report for training in October, ready to learn first base. The Yankees could then begin to see what he has left to offer, opening the possibility of using him on either side of the diamond and recouping what value there is left to be had from his ill-fated contract.

For Christ sake, cut your ties.

I'll take Headley & Teix in 2015 production over A-Rod 100 times out of 100.

What do you expect from A-Rod. 20HRs, on best case scenario, maybe 25. Teix does that. Headley will hover mid teens, but well above A-Rod defensively and not injury prone.

Cut your ties.. Or A-Rod shares DH with Beltran, occasional 3B.

It's pretty damn simple.

Last edited:
I've said it before, but I don't think the fan base or the team wants A-Rod back in all reality.

I've said it before, but I don't think the fan base or the team wants A-Rod back in all reality.

I think everyone wants him gone, maybe the exception of the few guys who have been here for a while. But the biggest problem is the $61mil. I give him a 0% chance of finishing his contract, I think they just want to get all they can from it. The logic of bringing him back, is just to see if he still has anything left in the tank. If he doesn't, then you kick him to the curb and eat the $40mil that would be left.

If we are going to bring him back, it has to be without sacrificing Headley. He just brings too much with his glove, and a very good late order hitter. Headley & Prado 6-7 or 7-8 in the order :pimp:

Assume everyone stays relatively healthy because that's all you can really think about. This is best case scenario if A-Rod comes back.
Headley - 135 games
Teix - 130 games
Beltran - 125 games
A-Rod - 125 games

Give everyone rest throughout the season.

1B - Teix - 130 games / Headley 12 games / McCann + Cervelli 20 games
3B - Headley 123 games / A-Rod 39 games
RF - Beltran 60 games
DH - A-Rod 86 games / Beltran 65 games / Teix & McCann get the rest

Still would allow us to chase Melky if we want him. Maybe Increase Beltran's games at DH, so only A-Rod & Beltran are the only DHs in the season, unless one of them goes down. Would give Melky 120 games in RF, and the rest filling in for Gardner & Ellsbury days off.

Worst case is :x. A-Rod is everyday 3B. He gets injured, Prado then becomes everyday 3B, and we have a hole at 2B & SS. Or A-Rod is everyday DH, and Beltran is everyday RF. Then when A-Rod & Beltran get injured. Prado fills in for 1 and we have a hole at 2B, SS & 3B.

Last edited:
We play TB 4 more times (1 Home, 3 Away) , Toronto 4 times (Home), Boston 3 times (Away), Orioles 8 times (4H, 4A)

Take 3 of 4 from the Rays
Sweep Toronto
Sweep Boston
Take 5 of 8 from Orioles.

15-4 to close it out

Would put us at 89 wins, tied for Detroit's pace.

:lol:

Last edited:
We play TB 4 more times (1 Home, 3 Away) , Toronto 4 times (Home), Boston 3 times (Away), Orioles 8 times (4H, 4A)

Take 3 of 4 from the Rays
Sweep Toronto
Sweep Boston
Take 5 of 8 from Orioles.

15-4 to close it out

Would put us at 89 wins, tied for Detroit's pace.

:lol:
Entering tonight, Rays are 27-27 at the new Yankee Stadium. The old fixture, some crazy number off the top like 20-60 (ESPN?).

Back
Top Bottom