2014 New York Yankees season thread Vol. (84-78) .. Essential's Offseason thread coming soon

The memories are great. But I hate the stand that they are taking which is basically saying that his goodbye tour is more important than the success of the team. Playoffs should be the priority.
What would they do differently if he never mentioned he was retiring?

What would they do differently if he never mentioned he was retiring?

For starters probably shift him around the lineup like they should have months ago.

I love Jeter. No doubt my favorite athlete of all time, but it's definitely been a struggle to watch him bat more than it is a pleasure the past few months :wow: .

And the Jeter flip against the A's still gives me chills to this day. Surreal how heads up that was.

Last edited:
He wouldn't be batting in the second hole with some of the worst offensive numbers in the league. The number two hitter is way too valuable to have a guy bat there who rarely gets on base, rarely makes contact and when he does it's almost always a weak grounder. With the great years Ellsbury and Gardner are having, they should be 1-2 with Jeter batting 8th or 9th.

Might pain people to say/think it but that Yankees as a whole are more important to me than Jeter, I wanna see games in October :lol:

Last edited:
It's frustrating how throughout the season the brightest spots on offense have only been Ellsbury and Gardner.

For starters probably shift him around the lineup like they should have months ago.
He wouldn't be batting in the second hole with some of the worst offensive numbers in the league. The number two hitter is way too valuable to have a guy bat there who rarely gets on base, rarely makes contact and when he does it's almost always a weak grounder. With the great years Ellsbury and Gardner are having, they should be 1-2 with Jeter batting 8th or 9th.
Come on man, moving Jeter around isn't gonna make up for the injuries and lackluster performance from the other players.  I'm not even trying to defend him, but you're making it seem like his retirement is the only reason the Yankees are in their current position.

Come on man, moving Jeter around isn't gonna make up for the injuries and lackluster performance from the other players.  I'm not even trying to defend him, but you're making it seem like his retirement is the only reason the Yankees are in their current position.

You're right he's not the only reason. But we are not 60 - 77, we are 71-66. 5 games out of the 2nd Wild Card. With all of those injuries.

You don't think having Ellsbury bat 1st where he has a 500+ SLG, and hitting 300 wouldn't change anything. He has 2 less homeruns batting 1st in 230 less at-bats. Batting 1st is what he's best at. Just now having him bat 1st, and having him kill after 3 months of batting 3rd should show you that it does matter.

How could batting second impact Gardner. Coming up with Ellsbury on. Pitcher has to worry about Ellsbury who is the tops of smartest base stealers, with Gardy's new approach this year showing aggressiveness at the plate, it would make his mindset in the box that much easier.

Or possibly how it would impact Beltran or Tex, whoever is batting 3rd to go up after two guys who can steal a lot of bases, and get on a fairly good amount. You come up with Gardner & Ellsbury on who could double steal, so pitcher can't F around, one mistake it's 3-0 in the first.

Or even McCann batting 5th. How would this impact McCann, being able to follow guys who put a hurting on the pitcher, and will either elevate the pitch count, and/or drive in a lot of runs. It will cause pitchers to have to be extremely precise, which leads to mistakes.

Instead. Ellsbury cannot perform to his level because he's asked to do something entirely different. And even then Ells would come up with no runners on because if Gardner gets on... Jeter either unloads the bases with a double play, or Gardner's speed is off the bases on a weakly hit force play. Being the # 3 guy with no runners on ever basically might as well just walk up there, look at every pitch, and either walk to first or go back to the dugout. No runners on for the 3 hole goes against everything you ask the 3rd guy to do.

I mean for Christ Sake, we've been hitting Gardner THIRD the past 2 games. I guess it's better than 7th, but THIRD. All this to protect a guy who cannot hit anymore.

As much as they tell you order doesn't matter. It does, because it impacts the situations you come up.

Also sorry if I come off as coming at you, I'm not. It just pisses me off that the idea of shaking things up and dropping Jeter down has never been considered to the detriment of guys we are paying a lot of money. For example Ichiro has 5 at-bats this season before 6 in the order. Why? Because he is a singles hitter exclusively now, and doesn't get on as much as he used to that would warrant batting 1st or 2nd. Jeter has been worse than Ichiro batting, and has 1 at bat below #2 in the order.

I picked the 8 players with the most At-Bats for the Yankees so far.

Runners on Slugging
1. McCann - .447
2. Ellsbury - .442
3. Gardner - .438
4. Roberts -.419
5. Beltran -.406
6. Teixeira -.365
7. Ichiro - .302
8. Jeter - .268

Runners on OBP
1. Gardner -.374
2. Roberts -.369
3. Ellsbury - .368
4. Teixeira -.329
5. Beltran -.317
6. Jeter - .317
7. McCann -.315
8. Ichiro - .305

To further add insult, his OPS with runners on was 230 points better in 2012 in 36 more at-bats

Last edited:
You're right he's not the only reason.
That's all I'm saying.  Dudes are talking about getting him out of lineup as if he's the only reason y'all aren't doing great.  I'm not saying lineup order doesn't matter, but let's not act like y'all will go from worst to first if he's batting 9th or not playing.  However, I do agree that moving him and some others may help with this last push to get a WC spot.  Your issue is really with Girardi and his managing, which I never thought he was a great manager anyway.  I think if Jeter doesn't announce his retirement, you'll still have him batting 2nd.  That's just Girardi not being confident that the team will respond to major changes.  I mean, if he plays it safe and it doesn't work then it's not a big deal, but if he moves Jeter to 9th and things get even worse then he'll get ravaged by the media and probably lose his job as well.

You're right he's not the only reason.

That's all I'm saying.  Dudes are talking about getting him out of lineup as if he's the only reason y'all aren't doing great.  I'm not saying lineup order doesn't matter, but let's not act like y'all will go from worst to first if he's batting 9th or not playing.  However, I do agree that moving him and some others may help with this last push to get a WC spot.  Your issue is really with Girardi and his managing, which I never thought he was a great manager anyway.  I think if Jeter doesn't announce his retirement, you'll still have him batting 2nd.  That's just Girardi not being confident that the team will respond to major changes.  I mean, if he plays it safe and it doesn't work then it's not a big deal, but if he moves Jeter to 9th and things get even worse then he'll get ravaged by the media and probably lose his job as well.

Girardi is a good manager, because he can piece together a roster and keep them hanging around even with almost the entire rotation out for months. We should be a 50 win team right now just based on losing our 1,3,4,5 starters for all 2+ months of the season (at least).

I think he just doesn't want to do it to Jeter. Also he'd be killed by the fan base. Even if it works.

Girardi is a good manager, because he can piece together a roster and keep them hanging around even with almost the entire rotation out for months. We should be a 50 win team right now just based on losing our 1,3,4,5 starters for all 2+ months of the season (at least).

I think he just doesn't want to do it to Jeter. Also he'd be killed by the fan base. Even if it works.

We'll agree to disagree. I don't think Girardi is a horrible manager by any means, but I don't think he's managed the Yankees very well during his tenure in NY. Then again, I'm not a fan of the Giants' manager, Bruce Bochy, and he's led them two WS championships :lol:.

Sup guys Yankee fan here come playoff time. It used to keep me sane from knicks seasons. I don't mess with football.

Can anybody hookup the wifi code to Yankee stadium? Just wondering someone screen shot TND aka ES aka sm posted it.

+ Headley!
pimp.gif

Last edited:
If the Tigers play .550 baseball like they have for the rest of the season. Yankees have to go 18-6 to pass them for the Wild Card.

Francesa cracks me up.

We're pretty much done though. We have a chance but too many teams ahead of us in the Wild Card.

Sigh.

Consider readjusting the whole damn order. Please!
That will give you cover for moving Jeter

Back
Top Bottom