2014 New York Yankees season thread Vol. (84-78) .. Essential's Offseason thread coming soon

I'm expecting the same story as last year. Our pitching staff keeps us in the race, until about mid-August because our bats are horrible. Then the pitching collapses under the weight of carrying the team for the whole season, and we drift further and further back until we are out of it with about 3 weeks to go.

Yankees did well to secure Headley at a cut-rate price. Likely won't ever duplicate 2012 again, but he's a good enough hitter to regain respectability at the hot corner.

I'm expecting the same story as last year. Our pitching staff keeps us in the race, until about mid-August because our bats are horrible. Then the pitching collapses under the weight of carrying the team for the whole season, and we drift further and further back until we are out of it with about 3 weeks to go.

There's rumors linking em to Edwin Jackson who I've always thought is an unlucky pitcher in front of bad defenses...so it'd be a huge risk with the corners/OF secure but the middle being so :x

I'm torn about going for it this year or just playing it out, hoping for a WC spot and spending again next off season. I wish it were possible to know by this time next week to know if Tanaka will be back this season or if it's on to 2016 with him.

There's rumors linking em to Edwin Jackson who I've always thought is an unlucky pitcher in front of bad defenses...so it'd be a huge risk with the corners/OF secure but the middle being so :x

I'm torn about going for it this year or just playing it out, hoping for a WC spot and spending again next off season. I wish it were possible to know by this time next week to know if Tanaka will be back this season or if it's on to 2016 with him.
He eats innings if nothing else.

If it's a low cost, might as well.

Tanaka could miss the whole season, Nova will be out until All-Star Break, Pineda is always a question mark, Kuroda is retiring, Phelps is a #5 starter, C.C. is a #3 starter at this point.

I honestly think Scherzer is a Yankee next year. He's the #1. C.C. by default has to move up to #2. Jackson #3. Phelps #4. #5 fill in.

IDK man, Theo hasn't been low cost :lol: it'll cost em something that has some value. Some pitcher down in A ball with a high ceiling/low floor.

I think they go two this winter.

They'll either pay big for two of Lester/Scherzer/Shields or pay big for one and medium for another. Someone like Gallardo or Masterson. Cueto might be out there too. It's a decent sized field coming up this winter.

They'll either pay big for two of Lester/Scherzer/Shields or pay big for one and medium for another. Someone like Gallardo or Masterson. Cueto might be out there too. It's a decent sized field coming up this winter.

Yeah I fully expect a $300-$500mil offseason again.

After re-signing Robertson, two starters, and either a 3B or SS. We'll be spending a lot of money.

Forgot all about SS :lol:

I'm really hoping they don't overpay Hanley, Hardy or Asdrubal but it might be inevitable.

I think we should seriously consider keeping Headley to be the everyday 3B for the next couple of years. He'll be the cheapest guy on the market at 3B, and we desperately need the defense in the infield. Jagielo can hit, but he's a couple of years away no matter what.

Give A-Rod a shot in 2015 (Although, I'd rather just pay him to go away), but make him a regular DH. Split it with Beltran.

You should probably limit both ARod and Beltran to 120-130 games.

Teix, McCann, Beltran & A-Rod should be only guys that DH. Teix needs maybe 10 games at DH, McCann 10-15 games since he can also play 1B decently. We'll need Beltran in the field more often than A-Rod because Sori is gone, and Ichiro is likely gone as well, not that big of a deal with Gardner & Ellsbury locking down 2/3 of the field. Maybe have Beltran play RF when we are at home. 40 games at DH for Beltran. 82 games at DH for A-Rod.

If A-Rod is not worth the hassle, you cut him before 2016, and just pay the money.

Regardless we'd have to spend money at 3B in the offseason because A-Rod is too big of a question mark to not have other plans.

Last edited:
Not sure how I feel about adding Capuano but I'll trust Cash right now.

Rotation has a sub-3.00 ERA in July. Which means it will all come crashing down in August.

Back
Top Bottom