2016 Academy Awards/Oscars - Nominees Announced Today - February 28th

The crazy thing is that people have limited the discussion to Black and White. There are and have been actors from all walks of life, Hispanic, Asian etc throughout the years who deserve oscars. The lack of diversity in the academy has marginalized them too.

How many Hispanic, Asian, natives etc have won or been nominated for Oscars throughout the years???

I looked it up there are something like thirty something Latinos how have won oscars in 85 years. We need to diversify the academy voters.

I looked it up there are something like thirty something Latinos how have won oscars in 85 years. We need to diversify the academy voters.
Like it's been said a million times, the issue is not enough diversity in the majority of big time roles. People acting like the Academy is comprised of descendants of the Third Reich
laugh.gif

More work needs to be given to talented black actors.

Yeah that's a good point about asian and hispanics, I guess black people are the majority of the minority if that makes sense. We have way more support than them.

while topic is actors of color and movies, what do you guys think of the amount of black biopics and period pieces?

it's not that I don't think those stories need to be told, it just seems like these are the only "black" movies being made or rather given any attention.

To be able to captivate an audience, you have to have star appeal. A lot of the minorities in the hollywood screen simply do not have that intangible "IT" factor. The ones that do probably have that "IT" star quality are probably in different fields.

Sure there's prejudice, but it's not like supressing ultra talented minorities like in professional sports back in the day.

Last edited:
while topic is actors of color and movies, what do you guys think of the amount of black biopics and period pieces?
it's not that I don't think those stories need to be told, it just seems like these are the only "black" movies being made or rather given any attention.
Plenty of different genre films of being made. Romances, Comedies, Thrillers. They just get labeled as "Black/Urban" films and not funded or marketed to larger because the starring cast isn't majority White.

^that's what i'm saying.  The only ones that get any real light are the civil rights stories and biopics about athletes and musicians

movies that don't fit that mold don't a lot of backing so they don't have the budget for big names or high production

Last edited:
^that's what i'm saying.  The only ones that get any real light are the civil rights stories and biopics about athletes and musicians
movies that don't fit that mold don't a lot of backing so they don't have the budget for big names or high production

True

Like it's been said a million times, the issue is not enough diversity in the majority of big time roles. People acting like the Academy is comprised of descendants of the Third Reich :lol:

More work needs to be given to talented black actors.
there have been great films and roles that minorities have played. It's just that their work isn't respected or acknowledged by the academy. There do need to be more roles for people of color too. One does not have to be in the third reach to not value or understand work by Minorities. Ever heard of implicit bias????

Last edited:
To be able to captivate an audience, you have to have star appeal. A lot of the minorities in the hollywood screen simply do not have that intangible "IT" factor. The ones that do probably have that "IT" star quality are probably in different fields.

Sure there's prejudice, but it's not like supressing ultra talented minorities like in professional sports back in the day.
According to who? How would we measure or quantify the so called it factor? I know plenty of actors of color who have the it factor.

How many Hispanic, Asian, natives etc have won or been nominated for Oscars throughout the years???
How many native actors are out there in prominent roles? I know I've seen a few on tv and movies but I don't know their names. At best I can recognize their faces and name something they were in before. That's it.

Asian actors in America are greatly under represented in Hollywood. I'd say more so than black ppl. You'll hear all type of excuses and practices set in motion to defend why they don't get lead roles in comedies, romances, dramas, etc. not counting movies that are all Asian on purpose.

Asian actors today unfortunately I mostly known for being the tech guys or predominately the martial artists. Female Asians get minor bit roles a lot but I'd say it's better for them even if they're just playing the gf or wife. Outside of being eye candy you can see them in more genres.

That's mostly east Asians though. Indians got their own Hollywood. Hollywood rarely if ever targets them unless it's a mash-up tv show with white ppl (that outsourcing tv show, that drama/romance movie about an Indian and French restaurant).

According to who? How would we measure or quantify the so called it factor? I know plenty of actors of color who have the it factor.
Just name them so we can get past that. Easiest way to dismiss that notion imo.

That issue aside, there's plenty of white actors without the IT factor getting propped up and pushed in our faces on a constant basis.

There's a current white male lead dilemma in Hollywood where all the young ones suck but they keep getting lead roles and included in movies like they have talent. I swear those dudes are probably giving the best BJs. From Jai Courtney to Taylor Kitsch.

Last edited:
How many native actors are out there in prominent roles? I know I've seen a few on tv and movies but I don't know their names. At best I can recognize their faces and name something they were in before. That's it.

Asian actors in America are greatly under represented in Hollywood. I'd say more so than black ppl. You'll hear all type of excuses and practices set in motion to defend why they don't get lead roles in comedies, romances, dramas, etc. not counting movies that are all Asian on purpose.

Asian actors today unfortunately I mostly known for being the tech guys or predominately the martial artists. Female Asians get minor bit roles a lot but I'd say it's better for them even if they're just playing the gf or wife. Outside of being eye candy you can see them in more genres.

That's mostly east Asians though. Indians got their own Hollywood. Hollywood rarely if ever targets them unless it's a mash-up tv show with white ppl (that outsourcing tv show, that drama/romance movie about an Indian and French restaurant).
Just name them so we can get past that. Easiest way to dismiss that notion imo.

That issue aside, there's plenty of white actors without the IT factor getting propped up and pushed in our faces on a constant basis.

There's a current white male lead dilemma in Hollywood where all the young ones suck but they keep getting lead roles and included in movies like they have talent. I swear those dudes are probably giving the best BJs. From Jai Courtney to Taylor Kitsch.
The it factor is highely subjective though. What I may consider the it factor may not what you consider the it factor. Diversifying academy voters is important because it will allow marginalized people the ability to determine who has and doesn't have the it factor....

there have been great films and roles that minorities have played. It's just that their work isn't respected or acknowledged by the academy.
For example?

Not disagreeing with you I just want to see what you had in mind.

Oscar snubs go beyond the race factor.

Back
Top Bottom