2016 MLB thread. THE CUBS HAVE BROKEN THE CURSE! Chicago Cubs are your 2016 World Series champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darvish being investigated for gambling on games smh, apparently a connection with his brother

Last edited:
Forgot to do this on Friday, so I will do it now....and you will all have the honor of hearing two this week.  
laugh.gif

Ridiculous Goat stat of the week.......

Barry Bonds reached base safely 4,516 times between 4/25/1991 and 9/26/2007 (2,258 total games).  That is an average of exactly twice per game. 

pimp.gif

NEW YORK (AP) — Just as a trial was to begin, Major League Baseball and a group of its fans who had sued reached agreement Tuesday to expand the menu of online packages for televised games and lower prices.

The deal came weeks after baseball's lawyers said for the first time the league was going to let fans buy single-team online TV packages. In the past, viewers who didn't live in their favored teams' home markets had to buy access to every televised MLB game included in the national plan.

Lawyers for fans who filed the class action lawsuit in 2012 said MLB will offer unbundled Internet packages for the next five years, including single-team packages for $84.99 next season. They said that's a 23 percent drop from the cheapest version previously available.

The deal also calls for the cost of a league-wide package to drop to $109.99. The agreement provides other options to cable subscribers to regional sports broadcast networks. The league will let a subscriber buy access to a visiting team's broadcast online. MLB also agreed to provide live local team broadcasts over the Internet for cable subscribers by the start of the 2017 season.

In most instances, a subscription to a team's cable outlet is necessary to view games online, though the agreement contemplates eventually enabling some fans to watch games online without traditional cable subscriptions.

"We believe this settlement brings significant change to the sports broadcasting landscape," said Ned Diver, a plaintiffs' lawyer. "It is a big win for baseball fans."

Major League Baseball confirmed the settlement but said it could not comment further because "the process remains ongoing."

NBC Sports Regional Networks said in a statement it was pleased with the deal.

The trial had been scheduled to start Tuesday in Manhattan federal court, though officials indicated last week a settlement was likely.

Recently, MLB's lawyers said they would change their sport's packages similar to what the National Hockey League undertook when it settled its side of the lawsuit last year. The NHL also agreed to let fans buy single-team packages.

In 2013, U.S. District Judge Shira Scheindlin ruled baseball could not use its antitrust exemption as a defense.

The lawsuit had said that the leagues' clubs and some television broadcast entities colluded to eliminate competition in the airing of games on the Internet and on television. Baseball had defended a decades-old system of regional television contracts designed to protect each baseball team's area from competitors.

More recently, baseball has multiplied options for fans so they could view games on various electronic devices.

"Make no mistake, this mission is not altruistic," baseball's lawyers said in court papers. "Baseball faces fierce competition, including from other sports offerings and an increasing slate of non-sports entertainment and leisure options."

Diver, the plaintiffs' lawyer, had argued that dividing the country into geographic territories for each team had strengthened baseball's monopoly and permitted it to overcharge fans.

Last edited:
I sleep with my window open every single night no matter the temperature outside and each morning that I wake before my alarm sounds I listen for that early bird of the morning that shows up when Spring is near/here.

I can't wait for baseball.

I sleep with my window open every single night no matter the temperature outside and each morning that I wake before my alarm sounds I listen for that early bird of the morning that shows up when Spring is near/here.

I thought you lived in Minnesota?

So to watch my Braves I can pay $85... Or if I wanna watch games across the league I can cough up $20 more

How stupid... Should be like $50 for one single team :smh:

Not saying its a bad deal, but when I can pay $20 more and watch my favorite players that are on different teams, I rather do that

I'm sure a lot more people will be doing the same
But thats the point lol. Its close enough thats most people will just get the leaguewide package. Thats $25 more a person for a service thats infinite.

A bird just chirped in my backyard right now, but snow is due here this weekend |I .

It bothers me more than it should since I hate the Yankees that Bird is being slated to play in Triple A :smh: Just trade Tex already.

It bothers me more than it should since I hate the Yankees that Bird is being slated to play in Triple A :smh: Just trade Tex already.

He's a 10&5 player. Need his permission and he won't give it.

I think they could make it work with both Teix and Bird by doing some crafty lineup maneuvering with Teix, ARod & Beltran day to day.

But if they feel they can't, I'm fine with Bird getting 1 more year to work on everything without any scrutiny. Particularly his fielding, I'd also like a bit more of entire field at bat.

Also, likelihood he gets into the show because Teix has a significant injury is high.

Last edited:
Good point about 10/5. Yeah he'll get his AB's cause someone will get hurt, but meh, I hate seeing a guy who needs to see major league pitching stuck in the minors in favor of a guy who is only there because of his contract and not his long-term value.

I'm bored so I'm looking at 2016 Steamer projections:

http://www.fangraphs.com/projection...ype=steamer&team=0&lg=all&players=0&sort=12,d

Kris Bryant projected to be second the in the league with 179 K's :x if he ever gets that number down like Anthony Rizzo did :wow:

Chris Davis projected with 194 :lol:

Preaching with this Bird/Teix talk :smh: . Fully bracing myself for another injury for Mark, but regardless of health, Bird should be the one getting the majority of playing time at 1B.

I've been saying it, hell we all have, but the Yanks will be much better off when Teix and Beltran come off the books. A-Rod too.

IDK what's gonna be funnier this season. The heel turn with Met fans on Murph/Cespedes or when the Nats win 100 games and get swept by the Giants :lol:

Oh stop, the Nats aren't winning 100 games :lol:

I'll go out on a limb and make a dumb prediction and say the Marlins finish second and Nats third.

I was soooooo close to saying "The Nats make all these moves and the Marlins win the division" :lol:

I can see it for them though. Make him CF and move Revere to the bench and he'll be a solid replacement for whoever gets hurt first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom