2016 MLB thread. THE CUBS HAVE BROKEN THE CURSE! Chicago Cubs are your 2016 World Series champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shed a few tears when I first read the news yesterday morning.

Shed more when I saw Dee Gordon on the mound yesterday.

Shed some more when I saw Dee hit a HR.

Just shed a few more seeing a video of the pregame tribute/Mets commentators a few minutes ago. And i've never cried for any other athlete/celeb before in my life. I think most of us really felt like he was just one of the homies. 24 years old. Stud. Daughter on the way. Literally looked like a kid playing out there.

I'd usually be excited for October, and i kinda am, but this just makes it feel so unimportant.

100% exactly how I feel. I've never cried before at an athlete or celebrity dying but he was one of my favorite players to watch and just seeing the emotions of all his teammates, you knew he was bigger than baseball itself. 

Sports can be so surreal sometimes. That HR was the best sports moment all year for me. I've seen so many different sporting events, and it legit might be the most special I've ever witnessed as well. Easily the most special moment in baseball since the Piazza homer after 9/11 too. 

Last edited:
I don't think I cried about him dying, just not knowing him personally. But watching the player cry on field and the people talk to me got to me, the whole magnitude for sadness gets to me and other.
Writing messages on the mound with their fingers, allergies started to act up.

I was at the first game after Nick Adenhart died in that car wreck and man I def shed a few tears it was a very emotional night.

Last edited:
That text message exchange was heartbreaking. Dude tried his best to keep them from going out, then his worst fear comes true. Can't imagine the feeling.

Following Monday’s game, Marcell Ozuna said he turned down an invitation from Fernandez after Saturday night’s game to go out with him and join him for a spin on his boat . . .

“That night I told him, ‘Don’t go out,’” Ozuna said. “Everybody knew he was crazy about that boat and loved being out on the water. I told him I couldn’t go out that night because I had the kids and my wife waiting for me."

As sad as the whole situation is I cant help to think about how foolish it is to ride a boat 65 mph in the dark. Of coarse we all do dumb things when we are young but wow! That was suicidal. Boats don't have brakes

Last edited:
Following Monday’s game, Marcell Ozuna said he turned down an invitation from Fernandez after Saturday night’s game to go out with him and join him for a spin on his boat . . .

“That night I told him, ‘Don’t go out,’” Ozuna said. “Everybody knew he was crazy about that boat and loved being out on the water. I told him I couldn’t go out that night because I had the kids and my wife waiting for me."
Yeah, the Passan article says that there were multiple Marlins who were invited to go out on the boat, but all declined. 

Personally, I think there was something all his teammates knew about him to all turn him down. They had to know something
Well, to me it makes more sense that a position player who had a game the next day wasnt willing to go on a boat trip in the middle of the night, than a pitcher who wasnt pitching that next day.  While there is certainly no way to prove my opinion or yours, I think its more logical to assume that players like Ozuna didnt want to go because they needed to rest for the game than that they knew something terrible was going to happen.

Well, to me it makes more sense that a position player who had a game the next day wasnt willing to go on a boat trip in the middle of the night, than a pitcher who wasnt pitching that next day.  While there is certainly no way to prove my opinion or yours, I think its more logical to assume that players like Ozuna didnt want to go because they needed to rest for the game than that they knew something terrible was going to happen.

Thank you for not huffing glue.

Personally, I think there was something all his teammates knew about him to all turn him down. They had to know something

What time was the Monday game scheduled for?

By the way, I think your explanation makes perfect sense.

This here is a fascinating, albeit heartbreaking, read. Do yourself a favor.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-tragic-final-night-of-jose-fernandezs-life-023645408.html
I cant imagine 
mean.gif

If Mets can beat Bum in a possible WC game,

gonna roll with

Thor

GOAT Bartolo
Gsellman

Lugo

eek.gif

Even for 7 o'clock games, players get in by 11/12 o'clock, if not earlier depending on the player. So Sunday day game is closer to 8/9

Last edited:

Even for 7 o'clock games, players get in by 11/12 o'clock, if not earlier depending on the player. So Sunday day game is closer to 8/9
I am not saying that you are wrong, but I know from personal experience that the times you just listed arent always correct.  About 10 or so years ago, a girl I was dating at the time was a cocktail waitress at a bar called the Matrix in San Francisco.  At around 1am, Bernie Williams, Jorge Posada, Hideki Matsui, Carl Pavano and a couple other players who I cant remember right now came into the Matrix.  I was at a bar down the street and my girl told me to come over quick.  After last call, they kicked everyone out of the bar except the Yankees, a handful of hot girls, and my brother and I.  The workers and the people I just named got to drink in the club until about 330am.  Those Yankees had a 5pm game against the A's the following day.  And some of the players left the bar with girls, so I know for a fact those players werent getting any sort of sleep the night before another game.

Anyway, just pointing out that A.) Players do go out and get after it after night games and B.) they stayed out SUPER late knowing the next day was the Sunday night game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom