2017 FANTASY FOOTBALL THREAD VOL. ZERO RB IS STILL KING

I'd like to see that draft board. I haven't heard of a first round like that since like 2005 :lol:.

1. Christian McCaffrey
2. Leonard Fournette
3. Dalvin Cook
4. Kareem Hunt
5. Lamar Miller
6. Joe Mixon
7. Marshawn Lynch
8. Mark Ingram
9. Carlos Hyde
10. Ty Montgomery
11. Ameer Abdullah
12. Bilal Powell

There you go. Draft results of my first round. To your point, l have never seen a first round be entirely running backs either. However it does prove the point that "zero rb is king" is nuts.

1. Christian McCaffrey
2. Leonard Fournette
3. Dalvin Cook
4. Kareem Hunt
5. Lamar Miller
6. Joe Mixon
7. Marshawn Lynch
8. Mark Ingram
9. Carlos Hyde
10. Ty Montgomery
11. Ameer Abdullah
12. Bilal Powell

There you go. Draft results of my first round. To your point, l have never seen a first round be entirely running backs either. However it does prove the point that "zero rb is king" is nuts.
I don't see how a league drafting all of the bottom half of the top-24 RBs over the top 12 WRs proves anything. You've gotta be trolling :lol:. That's just mind boggling to me.

Unless your league is non-PPR or your scoring settings strongly favor RBs somehow, there's no way that any of those guys should have been drafted over the top 10 or so WRs. Even in a non-PPR league with no keepers and all of the top RBs still on the board, AB, Julio, Beckham, Evans, and AJ Green are all 1st round picks. Mark Ingram, Ameer Abdullah, and Bilal Powell are all especially puzzling, as those guys have 5th and 6th round ADPs.

Trying to swindle a trade for McCaffery :lol: his owners WRs are Julio, Garcon, Thieln, Matthews, & Decker. I was thinking of offering Kelvin for Christian straight up, Panther for Panther. That would leave me with AJ, DJax & Shepard as my WR1-3.

Thoughts?

I don't see how a league drafting all of the bottom half of the top-24 RBs over the top 12 WRs proves anything. You've gotta be trolling :lol:. That's just mind boggling to me.

Unless your league is non-PPR or your scoring settings strongly favor RBs somehow, there's no way that any of those guys should have been drafted over the top 10 or so WRs. Even in a non-PPR league with no keepers and all of the top RBs still on the board, AB, Julio, Beckham, Evans, and AJ Green are all 1st round picks. Mark Ingram, Ameer Abdullah, and Bilal Powell are all especially puzzling, as those guys have 5th and 6th round ADPs.

I would say you clearly missed the part where I said there were keepers, although you specifically responded to the post where I said there were. So, I am confused at you saying I am trolling. No one drafted the bottom half of the top 24-RBs over the top 12 WRs.

There were 16 WRs kept and there were 11 RBs kept (3 keepers per team). So round 1 of our draft was really round 4. Not sure if this needs to be said since your understanding of my league was completely incorrect...but having 23 running backs selected in what is the equivalent of the top 4 rounds should prove definitively that the zero running back strategy is silly.

Trying to swindle a trade for McCaffery :lol: his owners WRs are Julio, Garcon, Thieln, Matthews, & Decker. I was thinking of offering Kelvin for Christian straight up, Panther for Panther. That would leave me with AJ, DJax & Shepard as my WR1-3.

Thoughts?

I think the dude would be out of his mind to trade McCaffery for Kelvin straight up.

I would say you clearly missed the part where I said there were keepers, although you specifically responded to the post where I said there were. So, I am confused at you saying I am trolling. No one drafted the bottom half of the top 24-RBs over the top 12 WRs.

There were 16 WRs kept and there were 11 RBs kept (3 keepers per team). So round 1 of our draft was really round 4. Not sure if this needs to be said since your understanding of my league was completely incorrect...but having 23 running backs selected in what is the equivalent of the top 4 rounds should prove definitively that the zero running back strategy is silly.
My understanding of your league was based on your post that only said there were 11 RBs kept. With no mention of any other keepers I just assumed that 1 WR was kept in addition to them. How the hell was I supposed to know that an additional 24 players were kept :lol:?

And 23 RBs being selected in the first four rounds of the draft is par for the course. That happens in every draft. It doesn't prove that Zero RB isn't a viable strategy. It's exactly what Zero RB is trying to exploit. The inevitable injury or bust to a majority of those RBs (roughly 60%, or 14 RBs) leads to the Zero RB team getting better in three ways- your team getting worse because you had those players, my team getting stronger in relation to yours by not having those players, and my team potentially already having the backup for the player in question, all the while still having a stacked WR corps. I understand that you don't like the Zero RB strategy and that's perfectly fine. But throwing out arbitrary circumstances to try to discount it isn't a strong argument at all.

1. Christian McCaffrey
2. Leonard Fournette
3. Dalvin Cook
4. Kareem Hunt
5. Lamar Miller
6. Joe Mixon
7. Marshawn Lynch
8. Mark Ingram
9. Carlos Hyde
10. Ty Montgomery
11. Ameer Abdullah
12. Bilal Powell

People going RB heavy in your draft also doesnt disprove that it doesnt work. As posted above, RB's have a higher rate of catastrophic injuries that WRs typically do. Last year I basically got through the year with Spencer Ware, Christine Michael, ty montgomery, and Jordan Howard. All people who took over due to an injury to a starter. The strategy absolutely takes work, but if you are active I have had far and away more success with that than just drafting BPA.

My understanding of your league was based on your post that only said there were 11 RBs kept. With no mention of any other keepers I just assumed that 1 WR was kept in addition to them. How the hell was I supposed to know that an additional 24 players were kept :lol:?

And 23 RBs being selected in the first four rounds of the draft is par for the course. That happens in every draft. It doesn't prove that Zero RB isn't a viable strategy. It's exactly what Zero RB is trying to exploit. The inevitable injury or bust to a majority of those RBs (roughly 60%, or 14 RBs) leads to the Zero RB team getting better in three ways- your team getting worse because you had those players, my team getting stronger in relation to yours by not having those players, and my team potentially already having the backup for the player in question, all the while still having a stacked WR corps. I understand that you don't like the Zero RB strategy and that's perfectly fine. But throwing out arbitrary circumstances to try to discount it isn't a strong argument at all.

I guess you and I assumed a bunch of things (like I assumed no one would believe that I meant all of those rb2s went before the Julio Joneses Odel Beckhams of the world lol).

Sorry for the confusion.

I guess I just cant get behind the idea of drafting a WR over a RB simply because you are worried about catostrophic injury. And you are right. It is all about preference. There is no one way to win a fantasy league. But I just dont understand the logic of drafting a WR who is ranked lower than a RB, simply because of the fear the RB will get injured. Because if you went with the zero running back strategy, you would HAVE to be doing just that.

Take my league last night for example. The first WR drafted was Michael Crabtree (highest rated WR on the board). Is he that much better (if at all), than Golden Tate who was the last pick of the 2nd round? Is he that much better (if at all), than Brandon Marshall who went near the end of the 3rd round?

Look, I know we have different philosophies, and thats fine. But after the first two or so rounds of the draft, reaching on WRs because you are trying the no RB strategy just seems silly to me. There is amazing depth at WR, and after the top 10 or so WRs are gone, there is really not a ton of difference between the top remaining guys and who can be drafted rounds later.

IMG_0945.PNG
IMG_0946.PNG
My keeper league, full point ppr, 6 points TD for Qb. Football guys reviews rated my team as a heavy favorite vs. average players in fantasy. I just hope my team stays healthy and I make playoffs.

Good luck this year fellas!!

Just got this trade proposal:

I get: McCaffery & Engram or Hooper
I give: Kelce & Henry

No go right? Full-point PPR

yall think Peterson or Forte would be a solid FLEX play? got em both on the bench. currently have Fitzgerald in the FLEX spot. (I know, I got a lot of old farts on my team :lol:)

I grabbed Gio my last pick in a PPR.

It's crazy to me he's going that low.
Agreed. I'm assuming people are thinking he'll be third in line for touches but I think he'll be the change of pace/3rd down back regardless of who the starter is. He's been a bankable RB2 in PPR leagues since he's been in the league. I'm pissed I was only able to grab him in one league.

Back
Top Bottom