2017 NBA Playoffs Thread - CLE @ BOS Game 5 on TNT

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really depends on Steph to be honest. The Cavs will play Kyrie on Curry again and in PNR situations, TT will show hard and stop him from turning that corner. If there's a switch, Curry HAS to be aggressive and take advantage. If TT can contain him in those situations, it'll be REALLY tough to stop Clev. I know that'll be tough, but whoever TT man is, he has to be able to punish the Cavs in the boards when TT is out in the perimeter like that.

Curry has had some strong performances in the Finals, but he never came up in the big moments. It was always someone else who stepped up. This is Curry's moment to start his legacy. If he fails again, it'll be too much for him going forward. One of those things that follow him his entire career.

After all this, I have the Cavs in 7. You also have the KD/LeBron thing as well. Durant will either push back and finally get over LeBron mentally, or LeBron will eat him up again. So many sub-plots in this rivalry man. What an incredible couple years it's really been.
One subject I don't think I've seen covered so far here is whether Curry and KD butting heads for the Finals MVP award will prevent the Warriors from being as good as they can be. Regardless of their super predictable "All I care about is winning the championship" replies if they were asked about the subject, I can assure you that both of them would like that FMVP award to go with the chip bad.

If Curry wins another chip without a FMVP, it would terrible his resume to be a 2 x regular season MVP, 2 x champ and 0 x Finals MVP. At least if he wants to be mentioned in the same sentence as the truly great players. He would be ridiculed as someone who was better throughout the regular season and carried by his team in the finals. He has received 0 out of 22 Finals MVP votes over the previous two finals.

If KD doesn't win it, he would look like what everyone's initial reaction was to him signing with GS: He piggybacked a 73 win team to a championship. If he does win it however, he would have one hell of an excuse and could say "*****, I was the Finals MVP." whenever someone brought up him joining the Warriors. Plus I've seen KD play in all-star games. He was definitely gunning for that all star game MVP award many times. And since he cares about the worthless all star game MVP, you better believe he would care about about a much more legit and prestigeous award.

Had Curry won the FMVP in 2015, I don't think that this would be an issue nearly as much, but this way, it can definitely do some harm. **** like that can even ruin a series. For example, the 2004 Lakers vs Pistons finals. Kobe didn't give a damn about winning another chip unless he was the Finals MVP this time around. So that's why he sabotaged the Lakers by taking way more shots than Shaq and shot 38% over those finals whereas Shaq shot 63% and got nowhere near as many shots as he should've.

KD and Curry have been pretty much 50/50 as far as value for the Warriors throughout the season and the playoffs so far. They've been as close to a true 1A and 1B as any championship contender I've seen. And 1A and 1B is historically not good for championship teams. I don't think there's ever been a championship winner with a true 1A and 1B. And no delusional Kobe stans, it was definitely not any of those three-peat Lakers championship teams.

The vast majority of time, the structure of a championship team is one player who is the Alpha hands down + one or two Betas and then some role players. Occasionally, it's a team-based championship where several players contribute differently but about equally, such as the 2004 Pistons, 2008 Celtics or 2014 Spurs. But the last championship that you can truly classify as 1A and 1B was probably Lakers in 1982 with Magic and Kareem.

at this point i doubt they care so long as they try to redeem themselves

remember lebron washed kd in the finals before too lol

It really depends on Steph to be honest. The Cavs will play Kyrie on Curry again and in PNR situations, TT will show hard and stop him from turning that corner. If there's a switch, Curry HAS to be aggressive and take advantage. If TT can contain him in those situations, it'll be REALLY tough to stop Clev. I know that'll be tough, but whoever TT man is, he has to be able to punish the Cavs in the boards when TT is out in the perimeter like that.

Curry has had some strong performances in the Finals, but he never came up in the big moments. It was always someone else who stepped up. This is Curry's moment to start his legacy. If he fails again, it'll be too much for him going forward. One of those things that follow him his entire career.

After all this, I have the Cavs in 7. You also have the KD/LeBron thing as well. Durant will either push back and finally get over LeBron mentally, or LeBron will eat him up again. So many sub-plots in this rivalry man. What an incredible couple years it's really been.

One subject I don't think I've seen covered so far here is whether Curry and KD butting heads for the Finals MVP award will prevent the Warriors from being as good as they can be. Regardless of their super predictable "All I care about is winning the championship" replies if they were asked about the subject, I can assure you that both of them would like that FMVP award to go with the chip bad.

If Curry wins another chip without a FMVP, it would terrible his resume to be a 2 x regular season MVP, 2 x champ and 0 x Finals MVP. At least if he wants to be mentioned in the same sentence as the truly great players. He would be ridiculed as someone who was better throughout the regular season and carried by his team in the finals. He has received 0 out of 22 Finals MVP votes over the previous two finals.

If KD doesn't win it, he would look like what everyone's initial reaction was to him signing with GS: He piggybacked a 73 win team to a championship. If he does win it however, he would have one hell of an excuse and could say "*****, I was the Finals MVP." whenever someone brought up him joining the Warriors. Plus I've seen KD play in all-star games. He was definitely gunning for that all star game MVP award many times. And since he cares about the worthless all star game MVP, you better believe he would care about about a much more legit and prestigeous award.

Had Curry won the FMVP in 2015, I don't think that this would be an issue nearly as much, but this way, it can definitely do some harm. **** like that can even ruin a series. For example, the 2004 Lakers vs Pistons finals. Kobe didn't give a damn about winning another chip unless he was the Finals MVP this time around. So that's why he sabotaged the Lakers by taking way more shots than Shaq and shot 38% over those finals whereas Shaq shot 63% and got nowhere near as many shots as he should've.

KD and Curry have been pretty much 50/50 as far as value for the Warriors throughout the season and the playoffs so far. They've been as close to a true 1A and 1B as any championship contender I've seen. And 1A and 1B is historically not good for championship teams. I don't think there's ever been a championship winner with a true 1A and 1B. And no delusional Kobe stans, it was definitely not any of those three-peat Lakers championship teams.

The vast majority of time, the structure of a championship team is one player who is the Alpha hands down + one or two Betas and then some role players. Occasionally, it's a team-based championship where several players contribute differently but about equally, such as the 2004 Pistons, 2008 Celtics or 2014 Spurs. But the last championship that you can truly classify as 1A and 1B was probably Lakers in 1982 with Magic and Kareem.

KD seems like he couldn't care less about FMVP. dude just wants to win a championship. these dudes coexisted during the season and this playoffs better than most married couples. they haven't butt heads in close to 80+ games and suddenly it's going to be an issue? NT refers to KD as beta 99.999% of the time and all of the sudden, he's gonna be too alpha/selfish in the finals and possibly cost the warriors a championship?

the only people trippin off the minutiae of FMVP in comparison to the larger picture of a championship are fans and those who want to create some drama...it's a different sport, but think back to a few super bowls ago when Malcolm Smith won super bowl MVP, did that take away from Russel Wilson or Marshawn's "legacy?" nope.

Last edited:
KD seems like he couldn't care less about FMVP. dude just wants to win a championship. these dudes coexisted during the season and this playoffs better than most married couples. they haven't butt heads in close to 80+ games and suddenly it's going to be an issue? NT refers to KD as beta 99.999% of the time and all of the sudden, he's gonna be too alpha/selfish in the finals and possibly cost the warriors a championship?

the only people trippin off the minutiae of FMVP in comparison to the larger picture of a championship are fans and those who want to create some drama...it's a different sport, but think back to a few super bowls ago when Malcolm Smith won super bowl MVP, did that take away from Russel Wilson or Marshawn's "legacy?" nope.
Whatever makes you sleep easier at night. Spoken like KD's PR agent.

And winning a chip or multiple chips without the FMVP might not take away from your legacy if you want to be top 20-30, but it will definitely not add to it if you want to be something like top 10 player of all time. Show me one player who is conensus top 10 and doesn't have multiple FMVPs, aside from Russell and Chamberlain who played when the award didn't exist and who would have multiple FMVPs as well.

You damn right it's a different sport. Super Bowl MVP is given for one single game, not a series. It can literally come down to one big play. That's why not winning one over some defensive player who happened to catch a key interception is more forgiveable and not as big of a deal as a 4-7 game series.

6 what? Years?

I'm happy Boston won because 8 days w/o basketball would've been awful.

Hopefully SA can win one, doubt it happens, tho.

KD doesn't need to win FMVP to prove that he added value to winning a championship for the GSW.

You'd have to seriously be delusional to believe KD is thinking this way. He can let his numbers speak for itself. For example, there is no way GS wins the Finals with KD average 12-16 ppg. Unless Klay or Draymond averages 20 ppg as well. He could average maybe 22-24 ppg, and Curry could average close to 25-28 and still win the Finals MVP. Does that mean KD didn't add value? C'mon now :lol:

It can even work the other way around. Lets say KD averages 23 ppg, but does a phenomenal job on the defensive end and makes key stops in big moments, but Curry averages 28-30 ppg. A lot of people would give the award to KD.

Iggy won the FMVP and only averaged around 16 pgg. Curry averaged around 26. It's not solely a numbers only thing, since you're suggesting KD and Curry will "fight" for the award. Two players can still play VERY well throughout a series at the same time. Look at what LeBron and Love have been doing this ECF. Adv. stats would prove Love is having the better ECF, but up until game 3, LeBron was having the better overall series.

At the end of the day, no one is going to critique KD if he wins a championship. If anything, he'll be praised for helping the Warriors with or without a FMVP.

Last edited:
Winning championships as the Alpha matters in all time rankings, no matter how much you try to downplay it. That's why you'll keep hearing more about Clyde Drexler's two finals Ls as the alpha with the Blazers than his W with the Rockets as the beta.

Winning championships as the Alpha matters in all time rankings, no matter how much you try to downplay it. That's why you'll keep hearing more about Clyde Drexler's two finals Ls as the alpha with the Blazers than his W with the Rockets as the beta.

What? Who talks about Drexler losing those two Finals? Dude, everyone talks about how he won during the repeat with the Rockets. People don't take away his glory because he lost to MJ.

You're just picking hairs now and just throwing **** on the walls and hoping it sticks.

If the GSW win the Finals, Durant comes out of it looking great with or without a FMVP.

Maybe guys like Skip Bayless or Colin Cowherd will make up a stupid point like that, but in the grand scheme of things, no one counts how many FMVP's you have. At the end, all that matters is if you won or not.

Last edited:
What? Who talks about Drexler losing those two Finals? Dude, everyone talks about how he won during the repeat with the Rockets. People don't take away his glory because he lost to MJ.

You're just picking hairs now and just throwing **** on the walls and hoping it sticks.

If the GSW win the Finals, Durant comes out of it looking great with or without a FMVP.

Maybe guys like Skip Bayless or Colin Cowherd will make up a stupid point like that, but in the grand scheme of things, no one counts how many FMVP's you have. At the end, all that matters is if you won or not.
Dude, everyone brings up Drexler's two Ls whenever his place in the all time rankings is discussed. Had he won one of those finals with the Blazers along with a FMVP, he would've been right around top 20 all time. This way, he isn't even top 30.

Durant will end up "looking great" to one of these two groups:

A. Los Angeles Lakers fans all throughout the 2000s Golden State Warriors fans

B. People who want to see LeBron lose regardless of how it's done, even if the Warriors had added Kawhi on top of Durant during the off season - this group B is a much bigger group than group A by the way

He will not end up looking great when it's all said and done if this happens to be his only chip and he doesn't win the FMVP along with it. Not if we're talking about the very best players of all time anyway.

Last edited:

LeBron with the salt :rofl:

if he's salty to anybody he needs to be salty towards JR Smith who blew the simplest coverage in the world to give avery bradley that open 3. thats typical JR being JR

dont worry LBJ, that extra game wont hurt. the spurs will get one tonight to even it out

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom