2017 NBA Playoffs Thread - CLE @ BOS Game 5 on TNT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really shocked that the Cavs lost. Good job, Celtics. Have some pride in yourselves lol

If LeBron gets swept in the Finals Or even loses 4-1 does it change his legacy and debate about Jordan

Nope. It'd be more about GS legacy than Bron's

Nah... LeBron and the Cavs are the defending Champs. If they get swept, this definitely puts a bigger dent on his resume.

I hope Iggy wins finals MVP just for the laughs

I hope Javele McGee wins FMVP.... and have Shaq give it to him.

funny how everyone forgets that the warriors were 73-9 last year and crazy folks really called that team better than MJs 1996 bulls team...(which wasnt even his best team IMO)

lebron and co. comes back from 3-1 down to beat the "best team ever" and we are already questioning his legacy should he lose.

after that win, his legacy is pretty secure IMO

funny how everyone forgets that the warriors were 73-9 last year and crazy folks really called that team better than MJs 1996 bulls team...(which wasnt even his best team IMO)

lebron and co. comes back from 3-1 down to beat the "best team ever" and we are already questioning his legacy should he lose.

after that win, his legacy is pretty secure IMO
You're right, everyone forgets that happened.  It happened a long time ago and no one ever mentions it.  (/s)

Anyways its not about his legacy being secure, its about him being on the legacy of Jordan.  Obviously his legacy as a top 5 player is secure but he needs to win a couple more times to be a true GOAT candidate.

Last edited:
You're right, everyone forgets that happened.  It happened a long time ago and no one ever mentions it.  

Anyways its not about his legacy being secure, its about him being on the legacy of Jordan.  Obviously his legacy as a top 5 player is secure but he needs to win a couple more times to be a true GOAT candidate.

agreed.

i guess i am in the crowd that really truly thinks that the "can lebron pass jordan" thing was over long ago. starting with the brain fart vs. dallas years ago

agreed.

i guess i am in the crowd that really truly thinks that the "can lebron pass jordan" thing was over long ago. starting with the brain fart vs. dallas years ago
I thought that but after his performance this year and no real signs of slowing down I have reconsidered a little.  It's a long way away still but its theoretically possible.  I do think it would take 2 more championships.

One subject I don't think I've seen covered so far here is whether Curry and KD butting heads for the Finals MVP award will prevent the Warriors from being as good as they can be. Regardless of their super predictable "All I care about is winning the championship" replies if they were asked about the subject, I can assure you that both of them would like that FMVP award to go with the chip bad.

If Curry wins another chip without a FMVP, it would terrible his resume to be a 2 x regular season MVP, 2 x champ and 0 x Finals MVP. At least if he wants to be mentioned in the same sentence as the truly great players. He would be ridiculed as someone who was better throughout the regular season and carried by his team in the finals. He has received 0 out of 22 Finals MVP votes over the previous two finals.

If KD doesn't win it, he would look like what everyone's initial reaction was to him signing with GS: He piggybacked a 73 win team to a championship. If he does win it however, he would have one hell of an excuse and could say "*****, I was the Finals MVP." whenever someone brought up him joining the Warriors. Plus I've seen KD play in all-star games. He was definitely gunning for that all star game MVP award many times. And since he cares about the worthless all star game MVP, you better believe he would care about about a much more legit and prestigeous award.

Had Curry won the FMVP in 2015, I don't think that this would be an issue nearly as much, but this way, it can definitely do some harm. **** like that can even ruin a series. For example, the 2004 Lakers vs Pistons finals. Kobe didn't give a damn about winning another chip unless he was the Finals MVP this time around. So that's why he sabotaged the Lakers by taking way more shots than Shaq and shot 38% over those finals whereas Shaq shot 63% and got nowhere near as many shots as he should've.

KD and Curry have been pretty much 50/50 as far as value for the Warriors throughout the season and the playoffs so far. They've been as close to a true 1A and 1B as any championship contender I've seen. And 1A and 1B is historically not good for championship teams. I don't think there's ever been a championship winner with a true 1A and 1B. And no delusional Kobe stans, it was definitely not any of those three-peat Lakers championship teams.

The vast majority of time, the structure of a championship team is one player who is the Alpha hands down + one or two Betas and then some role players. Occasionally, it's a team-based championship where several players contribute differently but about equally, such as the 2004 Pistons, 2008 Celtics or 2014 Spurs. But the last championship that you can truly classify as 1A and 1B was probably Lakers in 1982 with Magic and Kareem.

Man what the **** are you talking about? These dudes could care less about who wins Finals MVP when they're actually playing the games. They're playing to win a championship. KD, Curry and the Warriors NEED to win a championship this year to right their wrongs of last year...none of them NEED to win Finals MVP.

Honestly, I think they all care about their accomplishments to add to their resume.

Sure, they want to win first and foremost, but they also want to win the finals MVP. They are humans, humans like being recognized no matter the profession.

I mean they can want a ring WHILE wanting finals MVP. It isn't an either or thing :lol:

Last edited:
Honestly, I think they all care about their accomplishments to add to their resume.

Sure, they want to win first and foremost, but they also want to win the finals MVP. They are humans, humans like being recognized no matter the profession.

I mean they can want a ring WHILE wanting finals MVP. It isn't an either or thing :lol:

With how both KD and Curry went out last year that is the last possible thing on their mind. You're not going to see either of them play hero ball to win a damn award right now. Both of these guys should have several more chances over the next 5 years to add a Finals MVP award to their resume.

294 teams have opened at +15 or worse since 2005. Only 8 of those dogs have won straight up
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Outside of MJ, who knows of the top of their head how many finals MVPs the greats have?

Kobe only got 1 [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]

incredulous.gif

Huh? *scratches head* The hell are you talking about dude?

Anyway...

Besides the recent players, I only know like 4 players. :lol:

Magic - 3
Bird - 2
Hakeem - 2
Kareem - 2

Last edited:
KD "if you don't like it don't watch it"

This is getting portrayed as arrogant/cocky/disrespectful?

KD is not my favorite kind of dude but man dudes going at him for that is just another example of why his move to GSW will never go away whether he Wins or loses or stays there or goes elsewhere. He's lost respect from some that he will never get back.

He can say what he wants about not caring, but if anybody cares about what others perceive them to be, I think it's KD.

I'd have to agree that he does act "persecuted" but I take no issue with him saying that.

Last edited:
Winning championships as the Alpha matters in all time rankings, no matter how much you try to downplay it. That's why you'll keep hearing more about Clyde Drexler's two finals Ls as the alpha with the Blazers than his W with the Rockets as the beta.

:lol: KD was OKC'S alpha in their finals loss to Miami..no one talks about him being "alpha." his "alpha" numbers aint saving him from the fact that he didn't win a ring

if he wanted to be "alpha" he would've stayed in okc and been on a team that would've lost to either the warriors or cavs year in and year out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom