2017 NBA Playoffs Thread - CLE @ BOS Game 5 on TNT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not going to pretend like that I'm super concerned about Lonzo, I don't know the and he's about to be a millionaire.

His dad is just dumb and going about this about as poorly as possible.
He would rather have (around) 100% of nothing with the chance of it becoming something rather than .01% of 16 billion

Can't really fault him.

but .01% of 16 billion is 160 million dollars. :nerd:

Isn't Phil Knight on record saying that without MJ, Nike isn't the giant it is today? Didn't he single handedly change the course of their trajectory?

Someone older than me can confirm...but back then Nike wasn't considered the must have **** right? People were into Converse and other ****. If Jordan signs with Adidas in 1984...Adidas is top dog today. That's power.

Lonzo ain't MJ. I love the idea, but Lavar isn't the person to execute this.

The thing is, Nike isn't exactly known for "exploiting" their athletes. As corporate sponsors they've been among the best. At the top level they're willing to invest in athletes and make them true partners.

MJ is a freaking billionaire. Hard to imagine that working out any better.

PG the GM killer
laugh.gif

Larry Bird just stepped down as Pacer's president. No surprise though as I am good friends with his son. 
Maybe he'll wait till a spot becomes available in Boston
Honestly Orlando has been after him hard the past two-three years. They offered him big money and even a chartered jet to and from games from his house in Florida. Nothing to do with PG imo. This been in the works for years

Isn't Phil Knight on record saying that without MJ, Nike isn't the giant it is today? Didn't he single handedly change the course of their trajectory?

Someone older than me can confirm...but back then Nike wasn't considered the must have **** right? People were into Converse and other ****. If Jordan signs with Adidas in 1984...Adidas is top dog today. That's power.

yep. nike was the running shoe company. air maxes were their bread and butter.

miguel changed everything

Yeah. They needed each other. It wasn't MJ and an amateur who had never run a business before.

Cant knock the hustle. Hypothetically, speaking...if you take the next 150 top flight prospects and put them under the same mentality...those shoe companies would undoubtedly be in trouble.

Even if you have a problem with Lavar...it's impossible for you to believe that the core of his argument is flawed. There's a much deeper underlying element to this entire topic. These companies have become giants because they've been empowered. By us...

When is the cycle going to change?
When the next few guys step up and follow in his footsteps.

Lavar Ball is a martyr now. Soon someone will flourish off the groundwork he laid. He likely will not though.

I'm not going to pretend like that I'm super concerned about Lonzo, I don't know the and he's about to be a millionaire.

He would rather have (around) 100% of nothing with the chance of it becoming something rather than .01% of 16 billion

Can't really fault him.

It's 1.6 Million dollars.

The thing is, Nike isn't exactly known for "exploiting" their athletes. As corporate sponsors they've been among the best. At the top level they're willing to invest in athletes and make them true partners.

MJ is a freaking billionaire. Hard to imagine that working out any better.

but but but, they treat athletes just like slaves...

gave lebron a billy not to run away.

- Galileo

I mean if Lavar is going to go out and find Lonzo a skilled independent business partner to build a company with more props to him.

But that's obviously not what he's doing, he has an amateur associate as Alonzo's agent. He's not trying to set his son up for success, just grabbing whatever he can now. Short sighted.

Last edited:
Obviously lonzo isn't MJ. Which is why I said If a ton of top flight prospects were to adopt this strategy...that would seriously bother the shoe giants. They NEED these kids. Lebron James, KD, etc. aren't immortal. The system is always going to rely on the next big things. I'm saying if the next big things were to do this...there would be a problem.

Isn't this the same exact thing happening in the music industry with Chance right now?

Only reason why it's "cool" to be independent in Music right now is because the Record industry is going downhill. Shoe companies aren't (yet) so there's obviously a large pushback to "independence".

Another problem Lavar has is he lacks creative vision. He has the right "idea", but but has no understanding of the art side of things. Big Baller Brand sounds corny. If he had access to true visionaries and creatives and made something "cool" he'd be on to something.

Last edited:
Cant knock the hustle. Hypothetically, speaking...if you take the next 150 top flight prospects and put them under the same mentality...those shoe companies would undoubtedly be in trouble.

Even if you have a problem with Lavar...it's impossible for you to believe that the core of his argument is flawed. There's a much deeper underlying element to this entire topic. These companies have become giants because they've been empowered. By us...

Yep. not mad at it at all.

Can't really fault him.

.01% = .0001

1% = .01

Last edited:

Yeah, but that's because of Mike's play. Also, because they already had the resources to, you know, ACTUALLY produce the product it worked. Lavar, and no prospect before or after Lonzo, doesn't have that. All he has is the person to sell the product. You STILL have to 1) make a product and 2) be good enough to sell. The entire thing has been stupid from jump. What he should have done was waited until he could break off on his own, THEN demand a billion. He's hustling backwards and it cost them millions

When the next few guys step up and follow in his footsteps.

Lavar Ball is a martyr now. Soon someone will flourish off the groundwork he laid. He likely will not though.

Can't really fault him.

It's 1.6 Million dollars.

ahhh good call. i read wrong and thought 1%

yea i'd pass on a mill too.

although werent they offering like 30?

Last edited:
Obviously lonzo isn't MJ. Which is why I said If a ton of top flight prospects were to adopt this strategy...that would seriously bother the shoe giants. They NEED these kids. Lebron James, KD, etc. aren't immortal. The system is always going to rely on the next big things. I'm saying if the next big things were to do this...there would be a problem.

Isn't this the same exact thing happening in the music industry with Chance right now?

Only reason why it's "cool" to be independent in Music right now is because the Record industry is going downhill. Shoe companies aren't (yet) so there's obviously a large pushback to "independence".

Another problem Lavar has is he lacks creative vision. He has the right "idea", but but has no understanding of the art side of things. Big Baller Brand sounds corny. If he had access to true visionaries and creatives and made something "cool" he'd be on to something.
The parallels you're attempting to draw between the music and sneaker industry aren't there.

The parallels you're attempting to draw between the music and sneaker industry aren't there.
They are tho.

Independence. The power players in both industries have remained there for generations because nobody has successfully banded together and challenged them.

If I'm lying...then explain to me how Kevin Plank took Under Armour from nothing to worth billies in 20 years? 

Funny **** is...the Kevin Plank's are the ones who went left when everyone went right. If he thought like some of ya'll...maybe he's just comfortable getting a nice paying job with Nike.

Some get it. Some don't. As Anti said...maybe Lavar is the martyr for this. But damn...what's the alternative? If nobody challenges the status quo...**** never changes.

Anyone with an aversion to independence, and seeks to shoot down anyone trying to industrialize looks funny in the light to me. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:
How does Lavar plan to produce products? Does he have a factory and workers on deck? Does he expect his son to come out of pocket to fund BBB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom