2017 NBA Playoffs Thread - CLE @ BOS Game 5 on TNT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by DMan14  
Tyson Chandler for $50M

Aminu for damn near it

I mean yeah, the inordinate price for good role players or former great role players with name recognition peaked the last two years. Will probably see a minor correction around the league as a result, less of that type of drastic risk-taking.

Lebron over Jordan? Nah. It's even difficult to argue Lebron over Magic Johnson. There's no guarantee that Lebron with Kareem, Worthy, and the rest of Showtime would've been "Showtime" and whether Lebron leading that team would get the best out of his teammates and defeat the Sixer, Celtic, and Detroit dynasties in the 80s.

to think nobody will ever surpass players of old is ludicris

basketball aint ending tomorrow

im sure people who saw dr j thought nobody would ever be better
Yeah son. I'm projecting based on my opinion/assessment. That's why I said probably. Who knows how long he'll stick around and dominate.

He'll probably go down as #2.
to think nobody will ever surpass players of old is ludicris

basketball aint ending tomorrow

im sure people who saw dr j thought nobody would ever be better
I saw Dr. J and during the late 70s and early 80s, there were already at least 3-4 players who were better. And the moment Jordan began his ascension, Dr. J disappeared from any discussion. In fact, Dr. J was never even considered the GOAT because it was already Kareem, Russell, and Wilt at that time.

I would put Lebron over Magic today
Individual skill-set wise and athleticism, yes. But the leadership, toughness, and ability to impact the sport the way Magic did at all facets and dominate at all 5 positions? No way.

You gotta remember, Magic averaged nearly 3 steals a game in his early prime and was known as a great defensive player his first 5 years in the league. Magic had a shortlived career but damn near dominated every single season for 12 years. If Bird, Moses Malone, Kareem, and Jordan never existed, Magic would've won at least 7 MVP's.

Lebron doesn't have nowhere near the peer group that Magic had in the 80s.

Magic won 2 of 3 Finals against the Sixer dynasty.

Magic won 2 of 3 Finals against the Celtic dynasty.

Magic beat the Bad Boys in the Finals at their prime.

Lebron is 1 for 3 against the only dynasty he's ever faced prior to GSW - the Spurs

And he could end up 1 for 3 against the GSW dynasty after this season is all said and done.

Last edited:
Yea guys, Bron is 8th all time in leadership, 6th in toughness, 11th in impacting the sport. Maybe he can close the gap in the next few seasons.

Last edited:
I would put Lebron over Magic today

Individual skill-set wise and athleticism, yes. But the leadership, toughness, and ability to impact the sport the way Magic did at all facets and dominate at all 5 positions? No way.

You gotta remember, Magic averaged nearly 3 steals a game in his early prime and was known as a great defensive player his first 5 years in the league. Magic had a shortlived career but damn near dominated every single season for 12 years. If Bird, Moses Malone, Kareem, and Jordan never existed, Magic would've won at least 7 MVP's.

Lebron doesn't have nowhere near the peer group that Magic had in the 80s.

Magic won 2 of 3 Finals against the Sixer dynasty.
Magic won 2 of 3 Finals against the Celtic dynasty.
Magic beat the Bad Boys in the Finals at their prime.

Lebron is 1 for 3 against the only dynasty he's ever faced prior to GSW - the Spurs
And he could end up 1 for 3 against the GSW dynasty after this season is all said and done.

How do you quantify leadership, toughness, and impacting the sport? As Lebron goes, so do EVERY team he plays on. Toughness? Never dealt w/ a major injury...probably playing thru pain and is banged up (as is anyone else this time of year.)

If it came down to it, I'm taking Lebron 100x out of 100 over Magic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom