2018 NBA Playoffs Thread

Who will win The Finals

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think that's the case whatsoever. As an outsider looking in, it's always easy to throw shade and say "earn the respect", but it's the fact that there's respect put on a lot of other teams that flat out don't deserve it too. ESPN had the Raptors finishing between 6-8 in the East this season. SI had Demar Derozan ranked 37 in the top 100 players currently in the NBA, with players like Jae Crowder even being ranked as better LMFAO. It's fair that the fanbase has a chip on their shoulder and feel like outsiders because they're the only Canadian franchise. With teams like the Bucks, Wizards and even the Charlotte Hornets finishing above them. I called out the "choker" narrative and said that Bucks or Wizards should have that title, but yet someone replied saying "Giannis is 23". So I guess you get a full pass for being young but also basically getting knocked out the exact same way by a Celtics team that even the Celtics fans were dissing the Bucks fans like, "you got beat by our bench" which is literally what happened. Wizards are NEVER called chokers but they have never made it out of the second round with three max players in Wall, Beal and Porter. I guess the only way the choking narrative will end is to win obviously. They have never been able to get by Lebron so clearly that's a big factor too. It's just funny though because even if the Raptors win this series...the narrative will be, "they could only beat Lebron when he had the weakest team he's ever had".

Well its not like the Raptors havent been the better seed for the last couple years. It isnt really choking when you are a lower seeded team and you lose to the higher seeded team. That is unless you are up like 3-1 or something and blow the lead.

That and the raptors have lost like 10 straight game 1s.

Shoutout to my man X xxpizzo for the flag from the game the other night :pimp:

2400FB24-1C5D-49CE-9457-36889BFE2E88.jpeg

I’d wave this **** in @B Sox ’s face right now if he was here
yeezy flex

Well its not like the Raptors havent been the better seed for the last couple years. It isnt really choking when you are a lower seeded team and you lose to the higher seeded team. That is unless you are up like 3-1 or something and blow the lead.

That and the raptors have lost like 10 straight game 1s.

They literally just beat the Wizards in game 1 last week.

Ya that's a legit and solid point junglejim junglejim . I can see why things like never winning game 1 is obviously viewed as a huge weakness, but what grinds my gears more is why do we give other teams the respect of having a clean slate in the next season or year? We don't bring up how Harden has ultimately been a Playoff failure or that Lebron with all the crazy achievements he's had, has had lows just like any other player/team (There are a ton of Lebron haters though for sure and I'm not one of them). I watch legit every show like Undisputed, First Take, Inside the NBA just naming a few but all of them collectively undermine the Raptors and speak about them like a bunch of clowns. It's only when they have a high seed or have been playing better this season that they are mentioned a bit more. The disappointing years for the Raptors was losing to an experienced Brooklyn team when Lowry/Derozan were young and it was their first playoffs ever (similarly to Giannis) and getting swept by the Wizards in 2015 in like Derozan/Lowry's third year (which they avenged by beating the Wizards this year). The main thing is when they lost to Lebron, that team had Kyrie and was clearly far superior to the Raptors. Now...when the Raptors go out and draft well and build a better and more deeper team, the talk is still only that Derozan and Lowry suck and the Raptors franchise are chokers.

Don't think that's the case whatsoever. As an outsider looking in, it's always easy to throw shade and say "earn the respect", but it's the fact that there's respect put on a lot of other teams that flat out don't deserve it too. ESPN had the Raptors finishing between 6-8 in the East this season. SI had Demar Derozan ranked 37 in the top 100 players currently in the NBA, with players like Jae Crowder even being ranked as better LMFAO. It's fair that the fanbase has a chip on their shoulder and feel like outsiders because they're the only Canadian franchise. With teams like the Bucks, Wizards and even the Charlotte Hornets finishing above them. I called out the "choker" narrative and said that Bucks or Wizards should have that title, but yet someone replied saying "Giannis is 23". So I guess you get a full pass for being young but also basically getting knocked out the exact same way by a Celtics team that even the Celtics fans were dissing the Bucks fans like, "you got beat by our bench" which is literally what happened. Wizards are NEVER called chokers but they have never made it out of the second round with three max players in Wall, Beal and Porter. I guess the only way the choking narrative will end is to win obviously. They have never been able to get by Lebron so clearly that's a big factor too. It's just funny though because even if the Raptors win this series...the narrative will be, "they could only beat Lebron when he had the weakest team he's ever had".
I completely disagreed with you on your take that the Sixer proved nothing by beating Miami. However, I totally agree with this. This is definitely not the same Raptors team. Maybe I'm bias because I love Fred, but I still think this team is fantastic. Do I see them beating the Sixers? No, but I still don't think the label of them being chokers is fair.

They literally just beat the Wizards in game 1 last week.

We just going to pretend like they didnt lose 10 before that or what?

Capture.JPG

Ya that's a legit and solid point junglejim junglejim . I can see why things like never winning game 1 is obviously viewed as a huge weakness, but what grinds my gears more is why do we give other teams the respect of having a clean slate in the next season or year? We don't bring up how Harden has ultimately been a Playoff failure or that Lebron with all the crazy achievements he's had, has had lows just like any other player/team (There are a ton of Lebron haters though for sure and I'm not one of them). I watch legit every show like Undisputed, First Take, Inside the NBA just naming a few but all of them collectively undermine the Raptors and speak about them like a bunch of clowns. It's only when they have a high seed or have been playing better this season that they are mentioned a bit more. The disappointing years for the Raptors was losing to an experienced Brooklyn team when Lowry/Derozan were young and it was their first playoffs ever (similarly to Giannis) and getting swept by the Wizards in 2015 in like Derozan/Lowry's third year (which they avenged by beating the Wizards this year). The main thing is when they lost to Lebron, that team had Kyrie and was clearly far superior to the Raptors. Now...when the Raptors go out and draft well and build a better and more deeper team, the talk is still only that Derozan and Lowry suck and the Raptors franchise are chokers.

I certainly dont disagree here. I definitely think players like Wall and Harden have been given a free pass. As much as I hate Lebron, he probably gets more scrutiny than anyone when he loses. And maybe I am putting too much into historical performances, but when your two best players are super inconsistent its hard for me to take a team seriously as a contender.

I was offered tix for Game 2 Thursday but it's gonna be like 90 degrees out. Not leaving the crib. Too early for that Florida heat up here.

We just going to pretend like they didnt lose 10 before that or what?

Capture.JPG

I certainly dont disagree here. I definitely think players like Wall and Harden have been given a free pass. As much as I hate Lebron, he probably gets more scrutiny than anyone when he loses. And maybe I am putting too much into historical performances, but when your two best players are super inconsistent its hard for me to take a team seriously as a contender.

The thing that’s never mentioned though are the series they lost those Game 1s and came back, recovered and came from behind to win multiple series like that. Point being is that the bad is accentuated but the good is not usually mentioned.

And CoachMiller1981 CoachMiller1981 . I didn’t really mean it that way to discredit the level of team the Sixers are. It’s just the fact that why are the Sixers given so much hype and credit to win the east based on hype and potential rather than that teams actual achievements in the Playoffs. This is the first year they’ve made the Playoffs and have had a somewhat full strength roster so I’m not discrediting them but you can’t tell me Miami is a great team. I watched every game of that series and Miami’s inability to score on offence was truly embarrassing. When old man Wade and the Dragon are your main scoring threats then I think you have major problems. Not to mention Whiteside continuously getting pissed, playing with no effort and throwing his team under the bus at every chance he had. Ya...the heat aren’t good.

All this ref talk gotta stop. Jordan moonwalked across the league for 15 yesrs and very few of y'all complained.

Last edited:
All this ref talk gotta stop. Jordan moonwalked across the league for 15 minutes and very few of y'all complained.
98 percent of people in this thread never seen Jordan play a full game with the bulls other then classic games and YouTube videos.
Jordan was babied like crazy . Lakers had the refs on some 8 on 5 ish too at times.

That's a great and valid point. But the NBA is a business and it relies on it's stars. My problem with the special treatment for great players is, what is it teaching young players? It's teaching them they can take an extra step or 3. It's teaching them they can use their hands on defense and not move their feet. That's my biggest problem with the refs not holding the stars accountable.

My problem with the special treatment for great players is, what is it teaching young players?

the NBA is a business and it relies on it's stars.

It is what it is my man, you answered your own question in your post. NBA is sports entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom