2019 NFL Discussion Thread: StaXX talking to himself

Should @Hahahaha be allowed byke?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, anytime you can help your team by drafting a clipboard holder in the first round and throwing in an extra 3rd to do so, you gotta do it, right?

You're right. Alex smith has a long history of taking his teams to a championship. Chiefs should have just stood pat and not drafted the dude who is on pace for 50 TDs this year. That strategy has worked incredibly well teams like the Jaguars who win championships every single year based on the strength of their team outside of mediocre QB play.

Ignoring the position where on average, a player is responsible for 60% of a NFL team's offensive possessions is a great strategy for winning.

I don't think the Chiefs would change a single thing that's happened in the past couple years.

Here are the players taken around where the chiefs original pick was

Screenshot_20181027-171930_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20181027-171940_Chrome.jpg

Not a single one of those players is going to be nearly as big of an upgrade as Mahomes was over Smith

Chiefs went from scoring 25 a game with Smith which is decent to scoring 37 a game with Mahomes which is unheard of.

You're right. Alex smith has a long history of taking his teams to a championship. Chiefs should have just stood pat and not drafted the dude who is on pace for 50 TDs this year. That strategy has worked incredibly well teams like the Jaguars who win championships every single year based on the strength of their team outside of mediocre QB play.

Ignoring the position where on average, a player is responsible for 60% of a NFL team's offensive possessions is a great strategy for winning.

True. Alex being a muffed punt away from the Super Bowl vs elite Eli did teach me he is incapable of winning anything.

Or the year after when Kap replaced him and lost to Flacco.

Or 55 TD Peyton losing the SB by a few dozen but duck throwing Peyton wins.

And Foles.

Surely, Smith having 3 other football players to the roster adds zero impact at all and Mahomes is definitely going to beat NE in the playoffs, no doubt. :pimp:

Brady (and his permanent paycuts) are the outlier and even he struggled beating Super Eli, or goalline hero Russ. Or the same crappy Bortles you mentioned.

I get it tho, you're one of those. No prob, we just don't see it the same, nothin wrong with that.

True. Alex being a muffed punt away from the Super Bowl vs elite Eli did teach me he is incapable of winning anything.

And Foles.

Surely, Smith having 3 other football players to the roster adds zero impact at all and Mahomes is definitely going to beat NE in the playoffs, no doubt. :pimp:

Brady (and his permanent paycuts) are the outlier and even he struggled beating Super Eli, or goalline hero Russ. Or the same crappy Bortles you mentioned.

I get it tho, you're one of those. No prob, we just don't see it the same, nothin wrong with that.

Worst teams in the NFL right now are the 49ers, cardinals, bills, raiders, and giants. What do all of these teams have in common right now?

Alex smith is 2-5 in the NFL playoffs and threw for 240 yards a game and two TDs in those games. World beater right there.

You conveniently left out megaminds superbowl with the Colts.

Screenshot_20181027-181040_Chrome.jpg

Patriots superbowls = HOF QB
Broncos = HOF qb with megamind and elway
Seahawks = TBD but Wilson will probably have a damn good career and maybe a HOFer
Giants = eli, maybe HOF
Packers = HOF QB
Saints = HOF qb
Steelers =HOF QB
Colts = HOF QB

Outliers on that list are Ravens, bucs, and Eagles. In both the eagles and ravens runs Flacco and Foles played out of their mind, but regardless, there is a pretty clear trend. Let's continue to act like teams win the superbowl every year with journeyman back up QBs. Also, Flacco was a first rounder.

Do the eagles make the playoffs last year with Foles at QB? Serious question. They looked pretty meh before Wentz came back this year.

Last edited:
Worst teams in the NFL right now are the 49ers, cardinals, bills, raiders, and giants. What do all of these teams have in common right now?

Alex smith is 2-5 in the NFL playoffs and threw for 240 yards a game and two TDs in those games. World beater right there.

Seahawks = TBD but Wilson will probably have a damn good career and maybe a HOFer
Giants = eli, maybe HOF
Packers = HOF QB
Saints = HOF qb
Steelers =HOF QB
Colts = HOF QB

Outliers on that list are Ravens, bucs, and Eagles. In both the eagles and ravens runs Flacco and Foles played out of their mind, but regardless, there is a pretty clear trend. Let's continue to act like teams win the superbowl every year with journeyman back up QBs.

Do the eagles make the playoffs last year with Foles at QB? Serious question. They looked pretty meh before Wentz came back this year.

I've typed novels and pointed out percent of #1 draft pick quarterbacks that have won SuperBowl (it's more than half of Superbowls) he ain't gonna listen or change his mind.

Giants = eli, maybe HOF
Packers = HOF QB
Saints = HOF qb
Steelers =HOF QB
Colts = HOF QB

Outliers on that list are Ravens, bucs, and Eagles. In both the eagles and ravens runs Flacco and Foles played out of their mind, but regardless, there is a pretty clear trend. Let's continue to act like teams win the superbowl every year with journeyman back up QBs. Also, Flacco was a first rounder.

I feel like I've typed all this before. :lol:

Elway........when he was 38-39?
Russ, when he was a baby, completing 9 passes in a playoff game beating Drew Brees.
Ben, as a baby, handing off every snap. (He later became a true gunslinger)

Peyton is everyone's favorite, he won one SB over 17+ years before he got one in Denver with a lollipop arm.

Brees has 1 in ~ 17 years
Rodgers has 1 in ~ 12 years
Marino had 0 in ~ 17 years

Troy Aikman won 3 in 4 years.

Credit always goes to the QB, people gloss over the details. I'm not one of them.

Eagles won because of home field, which we got with a huge role of wentz

Foles was great for 2 games.. the defence matching up well vs matt Ryan and catching a dome team outdoors in the cold is the reason we beat atlanta
I've typed novels and pointed out percent of #1 draft pick quarterbacks that have won SuperBowl (it's more than half of Superbowls) he ain't gonna listen or change his mind.

If we wanted to change the argument that teams win superbowls because they have good QB play on cheaper than average contracts, I'm all for it.

The argument that is lacking here is 50% of all first round picks become busts. They either become bench players or flame out in the league. About 15% of all first round picks go on to become pro bowlers or all pros. The remainder become starters. So with those two first rounders they gave up, statistically speaking one of them will bust and the other has a small chance at being a game changer.

We are also ignoring the additional cap space that the chiefs are going to have each year because they wont be paying a 33-37 year old alex Smith $25M a year. They have already used that on Hitchens and Watkins which will probably replace the production of those two first rounders and then some. So not only did they get better QB production, they replaced the first rounders they gave up with cap space in free agency.

The chiefs may not win a superbowl this year or any time soon, but they are sure as hell in a better spot now than they were with Smith. I'm not saying you have to have a QB to win either. I'm just saying it's pretty easy to see the Chiefs became a better team because they traded up for Mahomes.

Last edited:
how many non 1st round QBs drafted in the last 20 years were considered THE starter for multiple seasons?

Brees (who was a 32nd pick, which is now 1st round)
Brady (6th round)
Russ (3rd round)
Cousins (4th round)
Kaep (36th pick)
Dalton (35th pick)
Dak (4th round)
Romo (UDFA)
Schaub (3rd round)
Garrard (4th round)

If we wanted to change the argument that teams win superbowls because they have good QB play on cheaper than average contracts, I'm all for it.

The argument that is lacking here is 50% of all first round picks become busts. They either become bench players or flame out in the league. About 15% of all first round picks go on to become pro bowlers or all pros. The remainder become starters. So with those two first rounders they gave up, statistically speaking one of them will bust and the other has a small chance at being a game changer.

We are also ignoring the additional cap space that the chiefs are going to have each year because they wont be paying a 33-37 year old alex Smith $25M a year. They have already used that on Hitchens and Watkins which will probably replace the production of those two first rounders and then some.

The chiefs may not win a superbowl this year or any time soon, but they are sure as hell in a better spot now than they were with Smith

With the set rookie contract, even the 1st overall pick is a bargain for teams

Plus I'd argue, you're better off getting your QB in the 1st round because then you have them locked in for 5 years at that rate

Meanwhile zeke is already one of the highest paid at his position.. amari cooper getting paid in the teens

And Foles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom