2020-21 NBA Offseason thread: Officially a wrap

I used to think people hated on the WNBA because of them being women, im sure some do, but man i bet on a game once and decided to watch...

The score was stuck at 35-35 for damn near an entire quarter.

There are many who hate on the WNBA solely because they are women. That and the fact that women just aren't as interested as men are, are the reasons they will never reach the NBA's level.

Yikes
B9A105D9-15CD-4C8B-AC24-303A902CEEBC.jpeg

:rofl: :rofl:

There are many who hate on the WNBA solely because they are women. That and the fact that women just aren't as interested as men are, are the reasons they will never reach the NBA's level.

its a sad situation. what can you do? majority of women dont like sports. been like that since the beginning of time.

losing over ten million a year???

The league has seen growth in many areas since the current CBA went into effect in 2014. Television ratings this season were the league’s best in four years. The WNBA started livestreaming games on Twitter and partnered with one-day daily fantasy sites. Players appeared in a video game for the first time.

That hasn’t translated into the league and its owners making money. According to the WNBA, it’s lost a significant amount over the last 22 years, including $12 million last season.

On average [we’ve lost] over $10 million every year we’ve operated,’ NBA commissioner Adam Silver told the AP in a phone interview this week.”

I know there's a pay gap between men & women, but the WNBA is the last place that should be standing on this.

this whole they don't make money is a BS excuse, don't fall for it.

The WNBA exists to

1. Provide positive publicity to the NBA.
2. To increase female youth participation in basketball.
3. to create more female basketball fans.

the idea that there pay derives from how much money they make from tickets and tv contract is some BS.

They exist to create positive publicity for the league and be role models for future female basketball players.

but heres the thing, if the women get soooooo much less than the men you start to lose that positive publicity. it suddenly no longer looks like youre a league that respects and promotes women and suddenly the WNBA goes from a positive publicity to negative.

hate it or love it in our socitey, money is a proxy for respect,

and WNBA players are totally right to demand more if the NBA wants them to continue to provide them good publicity.

The WNBA exists to

the idea that there pay derives from how much money they make from tickets and tv contract is some BS.

They exist to create positive publicity for the league and be role models for future female basketball players.

but heres the thing, if the women get soooooo much less than the men you start to lose that positive publicity. it suddenly no longer looks like youre a league that respects and promotes women and suddenly the WNBA goes from a positive publicity to negative.

and WNBA players are totally right to demand more if the NBA wants them to continue to provide them good publicity.

I’ve said before, but the ladies need to look at the WTA and use them as a template - especially in today’s favorable environment.

NBA has more fans than the WNBA and grosses more revenue to which in turn players achieve varying compensation for. What am I missing?

51% of women describe themselves as sports fans.

The impacts of role models has been studied by social scientists and the effects are pretty powerful.

The NBA is lucky basketball is a sport that can be played by women and it's a significant advantage to have a professional league the generates role models that influence future women to play basketball.

The WNBA is a loss leader and maybe it stays that way for the rest of time

but it's still valuable to the NBA. And the WNBA players are right to try and leverage that value to get a better deal.

The WNBA exists to

Wouldn’t putting out a better product from the WNBA be the best kind of publicity? If they tied pay to performance in the WNBA, I think you would see better basketball inherently (especially without salary caps).

NBA has more fans than the WNBA and grosses more revenue to which in turn players achieve varying compensation for. What am I missing?

No one is saying the WNBA players should be payed 100% equal men.

But the WNBA value isn't based on revenue and ticket sales, if it was they'd be making $0.

Clearly the WNBA has value to the NBA beyond the revenue it generates form tickets, jerseys and tv contracts.

Wouldn’t putting out a better product from the WNBA be the best kind of publicity? If they tied pay to performance in the WNBA, I think you would see better basketball inherently (especially without salary caps).

The league offensive rating is 105. That number is better than the NBA on the mid 2000s and basically equal to the NBA up untill the recent offensive explosion the last two years. Offense seems fine to me.

The WNBA exists to

okay i'm sure the NBA appreciates the "good publicity" & all, but there not gonna dump more money into the WNBA when it's proving to be losing them money.

Back
Top Bottom