2020-21 NBA Offseason thread: Officially a wrap

this whole they don't make money is a BS excuse, don't fall for it.

The WNBA exists to

1. Provide positive publicity to the NBA.
2. To increase female youth participation in basketball.
3. to create more female basketball fans.

the idea that there pay derives from how much money they make from tickets and tv contract is some BS.

They exist to create positive publicity for the league and be role models for future female basketball players.

but heres the thing, if the women get soooooo much less than the men you start to lose that positive publicity. it suddenly no longer looks like youre a league that respects and promotes women and suddenly the WNBA goes from a positive publicity to negative.

hate it or love it in our socitey, money is a proxy for respect,

and WNBA players are totally right to demand more if the NBA wants them to continue to provide them good publicity.
The men still needed 2nd jobs up until the ‘70s. Wasn’t that long ago. Then several stars drove viewership & revenue up, the merger happened and the rest was history.

The NBA wasn’t a billion dollar machine from the jump. You gotta build your **** up.

And the nba STILL has to keep growing like any other business, which is why we had the bubble this year & we’ll have an abbreviated offseason to fit as much games as possible. Grow your revenue every year, period.

Nobody bringing in revenue, nobody gets paid. The NBA isn’t a NFP

okay i'm sure the NBA appreciates the "good publicity" & all, but there not gonna dump more money into the WNBA when it's proving to be losing them money.

It's a loss leader it's supposed to lose money.

If the losing money was what determined the salaries they would have **** it down years ago.

But they haven't because it's valuable to them. And the only way to determine that value is to bargain and negotiate. Shutting down the convo with "they don't make money" is bs. This ain't a charity NBA runs the WNBA for a reason.

The men still needed 2nd jobs up until the ‘70s. Wasn’t that long ago. Then several stars drove viewership & revenue up, the merger happened and the rest was history.

The NBA wasn’t a billion dollar machine from the jump. You gotta build your **** up.

And the nba STILL has to keep growing like any other business, which is why we had the bubble this year & we’ll have an abbreviated offseason to fit as much games as possible. Grow your revenue every year, period.

Nobody bringing in revenue, nobody gets paid. The NBA isn’t a NFP

WNBA players are currently being paid despite losing money every year.

And You right the NBA ain't a NFP so clearly the WNBA players are worth something beyond the revenue they bring in.

It's a loss leader it's supposed to lose money.

If the losing money was what determined the salaries they would have **** it down years ago.

But they haven't because it's valuable to them. And the only way to determine that value is to bargain and negotiate. Shutting down the convo with "they don't make money" is bs. This ain't a charity NBA runs the WNBA for a reason.

And a company is gonna waste but so much money on a loss leader..... I've seen people suggesting that WNBA players should be getting paid at least HALF of wat NBA players make.... we're talking enormous amounts of money for something that isn't going to bring back nearly what they would have to spend in increasing those salaries.

So sure the WNBA could try & have the convo all they want, but this is business & i think they would have a VERY hard time trying to prove just how much value they bring to the NBA as a whole.

i mean we had a whole half decade of men's NBA basketball where that could happen.

how quickly yall forget game 7 2004 pacers/pistons.

1603069758881.png

:sick: :sick: :lol:
Old school cats will just call this “good defense” :lol: :smh:

WNBA players are currently being paid despite losing money every year.

And You right the NBA ain't a NFP so clearly the WNBA players are worth something beyond the revenue they bring in.
They’re an investment in the hopes that someday they will bring in millions/billions..... just like the men once upon a time :lol:

Every year multiple pre-revenue companies receive millions in funding under the same premise.

Companies get saved from bankruptcy every year under the same premise.

this whole they don't make money is a BS excuse, don't fall for it.

The WNBA exists to

1. Provide positive publicity to the NBA.
2. To increase female youth participation in basketball.
3. to create more female basketball fans.

the idea that there pay derives from how much money they make from tickets and tv contract is some BS.

They exist to create positive publicity for the league and be role models for future female basketball players.

but heres the thing, if the women get soooooo much less than the men you start to lose that positive publicity. it suddenly no longer looks like youre a league that respects and promotes women and suddenly the WNBA goes from a positive publicity to negative.

hate it or love it in our socitey, money is a proxy for respect,

and WNBA players are totally right to demand more if the NBA wants them to continue to provide them good publicity.
It can be both things at once...I’m sure the league appreciates the good publicity of having a woman’s league, but it’s still a big business at the end of the day...They only gon throw a certain amount of bread at something that’s taking losses

And a company is gonna waste but so much money on a loss leader..... I've seen people suggesting that WNBA players should be getting paid at least HALF of wat NBA players make.... we're talking enormous amounts of money for something that isn't going to bring back nearly what they would have to spend in increasing those salaries.

So sure the WNBA could try & have the convo all they want, but this is business & i think they would have a VERY hard time trying to prove just how much value they bring to the NBA as a whole.

Ain't nobody serious thinking they should get paid the same as the men.

they got a 50% pay raise on the last cba recently so clearly the NBA willing to waste more.

I

It can be both things at once...I’m sure the league appreciates the good publicity of having a woman’s league, but it’s still a big business at the end of the day...They only gon throw a certain amount of bread at something that’s taking losses

Before the pay increase in 2020 they were getting 12 million.

12 mill a year for WNBA is pennies lol.

Any business.school dropout could show you how the WNBA generates more than 12 mill in value for the WNBA.

And clearly im right because the NBA gave em a 53% pay raise. :lol:

Ain't nobody serious thinking they should get paid the same as the men.

they got a 50% pay raise on the last cba recently so clearly the NBA willing to waste more.

I

And a 50% pay raise for them isn't going to do anything for the NBA in terms of "good publicity" because the people who continuously write about the discrepancy between the NBA & WNBA are gonna look at that increase as an insult & continue to bang the drum of gender inequality, knowing damn well there request aren't reasonable.

And a 50% pay raise for them isn't going to do anything for the NBA in terms of "good publicity" because the people who continuously write about the discrepancy between the NBA & WNBA are gonna look at that increase as an insult & continue to bang the drum of gender inequality, knowing damn well there request aren't reasonable.

you're crazy if you think the NBA wants to deal with optics of a WNBA strike so they negotiated and came to a settlement.

my main point is some people (mostly dudes) act like the WNBA is a charity and they don't have the right to negotiate.

they clearly do, and yelling "tHe wNbA lOsEs mOnEy" doesn't make sense.

and clearly im right because the NBA gave em a raise despite the fact that they continue to lose money.

my main point is some people (mostly dudes) act like the WNBA is a charity and they don't have the right to negotiate.
Nobody in here been saying this tho...Just pointing out that it looks a lil crazy to compare salaries with Bron to try to make a point why the WNBA players should be paid more, and ignoring the context of why he gets paid that much

you're crazy if you think the NBA wants to deal with optics of a WNBA strike so they negotiated and came to a settlement.

they clearly do, and yelling "tHe wNbA lOsEs mOnEy" doesn't make sense.

and clearly im right because the NBA gave em a raise despite the fact that they continue to lose money.

Who is saying they don't have the right to negotiate?

The point of that tweet is to highlight the discrepancy between NBA & WNBA players.... whenever reading articles/tweets about that situation, the message always comes across as WNBA players should be making millions at the very least.

if the goal is to add another 50k-100k to their salaries that's one thing that the NBA may consider..... but these articles are calling for huge increases that the NBA would never agree to, and they have every reason to not do that.

Back
Top Bottom