2020-21 NBA Offseason thread: Officially a wrap

Yes, and, again, you’re missing my point.

The entire concept of revenue sharing ALLOWS revenue to go to teams with a bad product (I.e. Hornets, Kings, etc. etc.) because other teams put out a good product (I.e. Lakers, Celtics, etc. etc.). If the top teams were not consistently putting out a good product that was anchored by marketable superstars, the revenue sharing wouldn’t matter because far fewer people would watch.

So the steps that the NBA takes are:

1.) Put out a quality product that people will pay good money to see live or tune into.

2.) Market said product to ensure people engage in the aforementioned step.

And because you want to make this a gender/sexism issue instead of a purely sports one, women’s football/soccer seems to be better focused on doing just this. This was from this past June:

2CBE8849-C178-4C73-AAB8-38EBD813C14D.jpeg

Idk what you're trying to prove here. What specifically about the product needs improving?

Pulling up stats about other leagues is moot. That was literally a one time event, which has a significant impact on viewership.

Since you want to use the soccer reference, why is the champions league final the most watched game of the year? Cuz it only happens once! There is no second leg. But that doesn't really matter.

Let's entertain your theory a little more - what is the the marketing strategy of the leagues you mentioned? How does it differ from WNBA? Are they targeting the same demographics? What was the main group watching NWSL vs WNBA?

Idk what you're trying to prove here. What specifically about the product needs improving?

Pulling up stats about other leagues is moot. That was literally a one time event, which has a significant impact on viewership.

Since you want to use the soccer reference, why is the champions league final the most watched game of the year? Cuz it only happens once! There is no second leg. But that doesn't really matter.

Let's entertain your theory a little more - what is the the marketing strategy of the leagues you mentioned? How does it differ from WNBA? Are they targeting the same demographics? What was the main group watching NWSL vs WNBA?

Because NWSL is marketed as a separate product from the MLS. There aren’t dumb, derivative team names of the mens teams I.e. Mystics/Wizards. More importantly, look at the growth rate of the NWSL vs the WNBA. The WNBA is losing money because they aren’t spending money wisely-whether it’s the NBA venues that are being leased for faw fewer fans or simply the lack of spending in the right areas i.e. marketing. Hell, you don’t even have to take my word for it..

“We need the marketing to match our product.. Celebrate us for the things that matter -- the stories, the basketball, the character, the fiery competitiveness, our professionalism." -Maya Moore

Source: https://www.theplayerstribune.com/articles/maya-moore-wnba-visibility

Last edited:
The smaller talent pool, and the lack of dunking. 105 offensive rating is actually a testament to the skill level of women basketball players Tbh
Still don’t understand why more WNBA players don’t dunk the basketball.. So many volleyball players that jump out the gym.. yet so few WNBA players that dunk or even consistently dunk
Like dunking the basketball is a major draw in the NBA

There are too many tall athletic women for this to still be an issue

Because NWSL is marketed as a separate product from the MLS. There aren’t dumb, derivative team names of the mens teams I.e. Mystics/Wizards. More importantly, look at the growth rate of the NWSL vs the WNBA. The WNBA is losing money because they aren’t spending money wisely-whether it’s the NBA venues that are being leased for faw fewer fans or simply the lack of spending in the right areas i.e. marketing. Hell, you don’t even have to take my word for it..

“We need the marketing to match our product.. Celebrate us for the things that matter -- the stories, the basketball, the character, the fiery competitiveness, our professionalism." -Maya Moore

Source: https://www.theplayerstribune.com/articles/maya-moore-wnba-visibility

First of all, the quote you used says the product is fine. Why did you use a quote that goes against your argument that the product needs improving? My focus has been on the product, you keep bringing up marketing and other topics.

Secondly, you skipped the whole one time event strategies wont work for a full season. Just because two leagues feature women don't make them comparable. Marketing 101, have a message that speaks to a target audience.

Tertiary, you mentioned marketing AND improving the product. Did you want to answer the questions regarding product? Or hide behind Maya's quote?

P.S. I actually agree with you that the league does a horrible job marketing and have said such in the WNBA thread. We split at the point you said product needs improving.

I'm not believing the season is going to start sooner than the late January time frame that is being discussed by Silver. Cases are climbing and we're about to hit a full on second (third?) wave, and they've already said they wanted to do next season in Arenas. Unless they're going to do more bubbles, you'd think the season is going to get pushed backward, not forward.

First of all, the quote you used says the product is fine. Why did you use a quote that goes against your argument that the product needs improving? My focus has been on the product, you keep bringing up marketing and other topics.

Secondly, you skipped the whole one time event strategies wont work for a full season. Just because two leagues feature women don't make them comparable. Marketing 101, have a message that speaks to a target audience.

Tertiary, you mentioned marketing AND improving the product. Did you want to answer the questions regarding product? Or hide behind Maya's quote?

P.S. I actually agree with you that the league does a horrible job marketing and have said such in the WNBA thread. We split at the point you said product needs improving.

AGAIN, it can be both true that the product needs to improve AND marketing needs to improve.

I don’t know why you’re so fixated on the “one time event” example I used. My point was the NWSL has shown growth because they haven’t made many of the same mistakes the WNBA has.. Literally that’s it. They focused on making a quality product that doesn’t come off as a derivative of men’s football/soccer and focused on marketing it. As a result, attendance has grown since the league's inaugural season in 2013. The 2019 average was a 71.8% increase over the 4,270 average in the league's inaugural 2013 season, so this would be a growth rate of 9.4% per year. The total attendance in 2019 was a 111% increase over the 375,763 total in 2013, a growth rate of 13.2% per year. What is the WNBA’s comparable growth rate?

The craziest thing about it is that, for his size and athleticism, he really wasn’t that great shot blocker. Nets must have been making it easy for him.
You gotta remember the Orlando days was the prime for Shaq in terms of athleticism while being in shape ...Yo was jumping something crazy back then so I can see all the blocks and contesting shots

Didn't know Ingram was a free agent. Why didn't he sign an extension like most guys do on their rookie contracts?

Back
Top Bottom