2020-21 NBA Offseason thread: Officially a wrap

I think it’s just not wanting an unhappy superstar on your team. We already see how uninterested he is at times. You wouldn’t want that coupled with him being unhappy.

Of all years, this is one when you let a guy like that just be unhappy instead of taking a crappy deal to trade him. Team doesn’t have championship expectations even if he’s there. Filling up the arena isn’t an issue. Let him sulk until the Summer when it will be easier to trade him.

Forcing a trade isn't the problem. If you want out...you want out. Trying to bypass free agency and going to the team of your choice is the issue...and I doubt it happens. Kyrie had a list of teams for Cleveland too. Boston wasn't on it. Mavericks weren''t on KP's list to NY either.

Again...the only case of guys asking for specific trades with multiple years left is Russ/PG/OKC.
Wait I guess I misremembered that cause I thought the Mavs were on KP's list, that's why I cited the example. But yeah agreed. From the orgs standpoint can't let him do this.

Wait I guess I misremembered that cause I thought the Mavs were on KP's list, that's why I cited the example. But yeah agreed. From the orgs standpoint can't let him do this.

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 10.28.11 AM.png

Riles has gambled on non-Heat culture guys like Shaq, Antoine Walker, Ricky Davis, Whiteside, Waiters, etc before. In the end, he'll take the talent.

I guess but James is also got probably 2 MVP years left, I guess realistically they could try and flip him again if it doesn't work out. It's a risk for sure, maybe they could swap him and Giannis if the Freak ends up wanting to go there.

All in all though, Harden going to get what he wants. Superstars always do, Rockets delaying the inevitable.

I’m calling his bluff. I’ll trade you if it benefits me but he can sit on the end of the bench for all I care.
For right now I agree, but I just can’t see a scenario in which it is a good idea for them to last the entire season with him on the team. The longer they wait, the harder it will be for them to get good value out of him. Not saying they have much to work with now, but if they don’t budge, this has to be his last season in Houston.

Of all years, this is one when you let a guy like that just be unhappy instead of taking a crappy deal to trade him. Team doesn’t have championship expectations even if he’s there. Filling up the arena isn’t an issue. Let him sulk until the Summer when it will be easier to trade him.
Will it be easier to trade him and get good value tho the longer they wait? As James continue to shown how difficult he is, how his decision making has affected the team and so forth, will his trade value be the same?

Last edited:
Let him sulk until the Summer when it will be easier to trade him.
Bingo. Why rush and trade him in a restricted market where a bunch of potential suitors are on hold because of contracts they signed this winter?

If I'm them, I tell him to stay home and wait for the phone to ring. You don't want to be here, I don't want you here. And that eliminates the opportunity for him to keep up the shenanigans. Just go get your Kawhi on, and we'll be in touch.
I guess but James is also got probably 2 MVP years left, I guess realistically they could try and flip him again if it doesn't work out. It's a risk for sure, maybe they could swap him and Giannis if the Freak ends up wanting to go there.
Jimmy looks like a dude whose game will break down in a hurry when the time comes. They need to push all their chips in and capitalize on it, I think.

And while Giannis is great, I really don't get what the Heat are trying to do. In today's league, you wanna build your franchise around Bam and Giannis? Maybe you're gonna change the game, but man that seems like a tall order.

Will it be easier to trade him and get good value tho the longer they wait? As James continue to shown how difficult he is, how his decision making has affected the team and so forth, will his trade value be the same?

I still think it’s easier in the Summer, when there’s more flexibility with salary slots, roster openings and the draft picture is clearer. And I don’t think he’s going to scare of teams further by pouting this season any more than he already has. Other teams already know he doesn’t want to be in Houston and he’s acting like it. They’ll convince themselves he’ll be better in a different environment.

Harden gotta go, I get it. You cannot have this man report now.

They trying to change the culture with new players. This is from a coaching/GM standpoint.

Just get future players and picks man. Get what you lost trading for Russ. Build the future. Even if it is Levert, Spencer , Allen whatever and picks.

Hate to say it, this is not the NFL. Players run the show.

It's pretty straight forward and what some of us have been trying to tell y'all. He's artificially already depressed his trade value by limiting the amount of teams he's willing to go to. All the contenders know this, the longer the Rockets wait the less they'll get back. In theory, yes they COULD keep him there, he's going to have to play cause of the CBA and getting paid, but the situation will still be not salvageable, and at a time where next off-season you're dealing with the free agent frenzy where there's several superstars available where some of those same contenders as not having to give up anything (in Miami's case) or just in positions to really not give the Rockets anything cause now he'd be in the AD position but a lot worse.

It's pretty straight forward and what some of us have been trying to tell y'all. He's artificially already depressed his trade value by limiting the amount of teams he's willing to go to. All the contenders know this, the longer the Rockets wait the less they'll get back. In theory, yes they COULD keep him there, he's going to have to play cause of the CBA and getting paid, but the situation will still be not salvageable, and at a time where next off-season you're dealing with the free agent frenzy where there's several superstars available where some of those same contenders as not having to give up anything (in Miami's case) or just in positions to really not give the Rockets anything cause now he'd be in the AD position but a lot worse.
IDK, the All-Stars (AD, PG, Westbrook) and frankly non All-Stars (Jrue, Conley, Tobias Harris) in the last two years have been getting traded for a treasure trove of assets.

Do y'all really not think that Nets package won't still be there next year? Especially if they don't win it all this year, which they won't. Zero incentive for Houston to take that package right now.

What if the Sixers don't show much improvement? You think there's no chance Ben Simmons doesn't pop up as more attainable come summer time?

Potential contenders are always going to want to improve. Goes both ways.

IDK, the All-Stars (AD, PG, Westbrook) and frankly non All-Stars (Jrue, Conley) in the last two years have been getting traded for a treasure trove of assets.
Right... And they can sit until around the ASB when contract trade restrictions lift and let everyone see where they're at mid-year...

Might be some teams that realize they need to be aggressive and make a move.

IDK, the All-Stars (AD, PG, Westbrook) and frankly non All-Stars (Jrue, Conley) in the last two years have been getting traded for a treasure trove of assets.

Bottom line is they all got traded to where they wanted to go or ultimately got what they wanted is all (Jrue didn't ask for a trade and neither did Conley I don't recall). Rockets just kicking the can down the road. In AD's case they did it for what exactly? To be spiteful and ended up getting less in my opinion from the OG deal. The disgruntled superstar has the upper hand every time. In the meantime you've destroyed your locker room for the season and other stars are ALWAYS watching how amicably teams handle this type of situation.

Do y'all really not think that Nets package won't still be there next year? Especially if they don't win it all this year, which they won't. Zero incentive for Houston to take that package right now.

What if the Sixers don't show much improvement? You think there's no chance Ben Simmons doesn't pop up as more attainable come summer time?

Potential contenders are always going to want to improve. Goes both ways.

It will be there, but who wants a sour *** in the locker room for a whole season when you are trying to fix things (Silas and GM). Players def do not want that negativity around knowing someone does not even want to play with them. He gotta GO

It will be there, but who wants a sour *** in the locker room for a whole season when you are trying to fix things (Silas and GM). Players def do not want that negativity around knowing someone does not even want to play with them. He gotta GO

Nah. They can just tell him to stay home. Jim isn’t really a leader type anyway even in good times. Plus, that team as currently constructed is mostly old vets anyway. They’re not going to be that impacted by Jimbo’s pouting. Wall and Boogie both have incentive to prove they still can play.

Not interested in Embiid is a little shocking. Figured Simmons would be the main target though. Tough decision if you're Philly.

amitt5504 amitt5504 what's the general consensus on that potential swap from your Sixers brethren?

I don't think it's an issue of the Rockets not being given enough time either, we were hearing these things back before free agency started. There was those articles about Russ and Harden not communicating with the Rockets brass, and as soon as Russ requested his trade we knew what the deal was with Harden.

They have the right to be spiteful but it's partly of their on negligence. Organization is in shambles right now all around.

Back
Top Bottom