2021 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: Media Day...SHENANIGANS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Healthy John Wall was up there. Not quite on the tier of Rose/Westbrook in terms of explosion though.
He was right there imo. Rose was in a class of his own. I’d put Wall together with Russ when Wall was at his peak- unfortunately it wasn’t sustainable. Major props to Westbrook for performing with that kind of athleticism and maintaining health, that’s super impressive plus elite genetics

This might be RJ’s time to get some respect on his name. He’s been working on the off the dribble shooting.

Looks like the Knicks want him at the 3 but he’s our better Jimmy Butler.

Ben Simmons update, one-on-one with LiAngelo Ball, plus more NBA news and notes

As NBA training camps begin in one month, teams are in varying parts of the offseason. From players and coaches to ownership groups and front-office executives, team personnel have been haggard these past 18 months. The coronavirus pandemic has caused strain across the nation. Now, some teams are in an in-between period of the offseason — utilizing the time off to refresh — while others still need to finish their summer business.

As one high-ranking team official said in recent days, “There’s been a bit of a pause lately. Everyone needed to take a beat.”

Nevertheless, several situations need clarity and resolution before the start of training camps at the end of September.

Ben Simmons’ future
The 76ers opened up trade conversations around Simmons, the three-time All-Star, in July, but so far their conversations have not reached the cusp of a deal. Philadelphia has conducted expansive discussions with several teams, including Minnesota and Toronto, but neither a Timberwolves package nor the Raptors’ proposals have appealed to the 76ers as of yet. Philadelphia has set a high price threshold for teams to meet in talks for Simmons thus far.

So far, Simmons’ situation remains the same. While the 76ers have told teams they are comfortable bringing Simmons back for the 2021-22 season, rival executives believe it’s only a matter of when — not if — the All-Defensive team stalwart is moved.

For now, all signs continue to point to Simmons’ career in Philadelphia coming to an end.

Simmons was almost moved to the Rockets along with Matisse Thybulle and two first-round picks in the James Harden negotiations, but Houston traded Harden to the Brooklyn Nets. With previous trade talks coming so close to moving Simmons out of Philadelphia — coupled with the comments of Joel Embiid and Doc Rivers to end the 76ers season — the writing appears to be on the wall.

The Timberwolves have been motivated to find a deal for Simmons but would likely require a third team given their asset pool of Malik Beasley, Jaden McDaniels and D’Angelo Russell might not entice the 76ers.

Philadelphia has its eyes set on Portland All-NBA guard Damian Lillard, sources say, but the Trail Blazers have fully focused on continuing to build around Lillard. As of now, Lillard is continuing to evaluate the Trail Blazers’ present and future and is slated to begin training camp with the organization. The 76ers are stuck between deciding whether to make a move now with Simmons — or waiting until a star like Lillard shakes free.

Restricted free agent gets out of limbo
The Chicago Bulls completed their sign-and-trade of Lauri Markkanen, sending him to the Cleveland Cavaliers in a three-team deal that brings Larry Nance Jr. to the Trail Blazers and Derrick Jones Jr., a protected Portland first-round pick and a protected Denver second-round pick to Chicago. Chicago had sign-and-trade interest for Markkanen from the following teams, according to sources: Dallas, New Orleans, Cleveland, Minnesota, San Antonio, Sacramento and Boston. The Bulls had driven a hard bargain, refusing trade offers and eventually being hung up on a second-round pick from Cleveland, sources said.

Markkanen is signing a four-year, $67.5 million deal with the Cavaliers, with a partial guarantee on the fourth year, sources said.

For executives around the league, the message appeared to be that the Bulls did not want to move Markkanen, even though it is clear the former No. 7 pick wanted a fresh start and asked out. Markkanen fully expected to be part of the DeMar DeRozan sign-and-trade package to San Antonio, but Chicago is believed to have pulled him from the proposal, sources said.

Markkanen had a one-year, $9 million qualifying offer on the table. But after a major offseason acquiring DeRozan, Lonzo Ball and Alex Caruso, the Bulls wanted to address the Markkanen situation sooner rather than later. If Markkanen signed the qualifying offer, he would have had a no-trade clause and therefore the Bulls risked losing him for nothing at the end of the season. The Bulls received a strong haul in a rotation player like Jones and two draft picks in Friday’s trade.

Markkanen averaged 13.6 points and shot a career-high 40.2 percent from 3-point range last season. It was clear during the season that both sides would benefit from a new start: Markkanen was offered up in trade packages to teams such as New Orleans, and then lost his starting role in the second half of the season. Around the NBA, teams value the 24-year-old 7-footer as a shooter and scorer and see untapped upside.

One on one with LiAngelo Ball
LiAngelo Ball, the brother of the Bulls’ Lonzo Ball and the Hornets’ LaMelo Ball, had a strong Las Vegas Summer League for Charlotte. LiAngelo Ball, a 6-foot-5 shooting guard, averaged 9.6 points, two rebounds, 1.6 steals and 17.4 minutes in five games.

Ball spoke one-on-one with The Athletic in Las Vegas about his summer league performances, attempt to play in the NBA and much more.

You underwent ankle surgery in July 2019 and have worked to be 100 percent since then. You went to training camp with the Detroit Pistons in 2020-21 but were cut in camp. How was recovering from the ankle procedure and sticking with your pro basketball journey?

I just stayed down and stayed true to the game. I love playing basketball. So it wasn’t like I was like busting myself to do something. I just stay focused, I kept to it. I knew I wanted to get into the NBA. I just kept working out.

If I wanted to take that next step into the NBA, I had to be 100 percent because it’s a long season. I made sure I did my rehab and I worked out every day. I just kept my head down and kept on pushing. I don’t worry about what people say. I just stuck to what I know. I’ve always been motivated to get into the NBA. Since a kid, I’ve never changed my mind on that. Even when the Pistons released me, I knew I still wanted to play in the league. I didn’t let it bother me.

How would you describe your game, being able to serve as a spot-up shooter?

I just know how to play the game. I don’t really worry about how I didn’t go to college, how I’ve been overseas. I just know how to play basketball. I grew up playing. I started playing when I was 4, so the game comes easy. I don’t force anything. I just know where to be at, listen to my coaches and go from there.

How did leaving UCLA before the 2017-18 season after that shoplifting incident in China shape you?

It made me who I am today. I done dealt with so much. I done heard everything — good and bad. Nothing really bothers me. My skin is thick. When I play today, I just keep that same energy. For sure, people cast judgment. I was young, I don’t look back on that. I just learned from it and kept pushing. I’m not gonna let one decision mess up my whole life.

Your Hornets summer league coaches say that you are extremely coachable, how did you set your mindset over the past year?

I just listen to my coaches really. I could do whatever they want me to do. If they want me to get the ball and score, I could do that. If they want me to run off screens, I could do that. I just make sure I work on everything, so when they do ask me to do something, I’ll be 100 percent and ready to go.

I just know I had to stick to my own path. I can’t do what ‘Melo and ‘Zo did because they had different paths. I know I had to stay grounded and stay locked in one spot. Charlotte felt like home.

More news and notes from around the NBA
Brooklyn Nets
Center DeAndre Jordan and the Nets are working toward parting ways via contract buyout, sources tell me and Alex Schiffer. Jordan is increasingly unlikely to be part of the organization moving forward, but the sides have not made a final decision. Jordan did not appear in the Nets’ last 16 games of the 2020-21 season and playoffs.

Chicago Bulls
Along with Brooklyn and Golden State, the Bulls are pursuing free-agent forward Paul Millsap, sources said. Millsap, a battle-tested 15-year NBA veteran, finished a four-year stint in Denver in which the Nuggets had a 64.7 percent winning percentage and reached the Western Conference finals in 2020. At 35, Millsap’s steal and block rates per 36 minutes were in line with his career average, and last season, his 56.5 percent true shooting percentage was around his career average.

In Brooklyn, Millsap would compete for a starting power forward role alongside Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving and James Harden.

Golden State Warriors
Warriors No. 14 pick Moses Moody is signing a multiyear endorsement deal with Nike, sources said. Moody averaged 16.3 points and 2.8 rebounds in four summer league games.

LA Clippers
The Clippers are expressing interest in Millsap as well, sources said.

Philadelphia 76ers
Sixers rookie Charles Bassey — the No. 53 pick in the 2021 NBA Draft out of Western Kentucky — plans to sign the one-year, non-guaranteed tender, sources said. Bassey and the 76ers have so far been unable to land a rookie deal. Bassey did not play in the Las Vegas Summer League because he was unsigned.

Phoenix Suns
The Suns are among the contenders who have pursued Spurs forward Thaddeus Young, sources said. San Antonio acquired Young in a sign-and-trade — along with a first-round pick and two second-round picks — and now are expected to receive strong interest in the veteran forward from competitive teams. Young averaged 12.1 points, 6.2 rebounds and 4.3 assists while playing in 68 games (23 starts) and shooting 55.9 percent from the field a season ago.

Portland Trail Blazers
Before acquiring Nance, the Trail Blazers also had an interest in Grizzlies guard Dillon Brooks, sources said.

I swear that Thad Young is a missing piece to a good team…he just rather play for bad teams and just hoop :lol:
Dude was the main reason Chicago was 9th and 11th in defensive efficiency the last 2 years despite being surrounded by mediocre at best defenders.

He's the rare role player that would change a decent teams ceiling.
Thad Young is a legend :pimp:
1630335068201.jpeg

He was right there imo. Rose was in a class of his own. I’d put Wall together with Russ when Wall was at his peak- unfortunately it wasn’t sustainable. Major props to Westbrook for performing with that kind of athleticism and maintaining health, that’s super impressive plus elite genetics
Wall never had the vert of the other two. He was just taller

Dude was the main reason Chicago was 9th and 11th in defensive efficiency the last 2 years despite being surrounded by mediocre at best defenders.

He's the rare role player that would change a decent teams ceiling.

Averaged 4apg off the bench as a PF too. Turned into a damn good passer.

he just be CHILLIN tho :lol:

I thought DeAndre was decent with the Nets. So, they move Jarrett Allen to make more time for De’Andre, De’Andre has some decent-ish games, then they bench him to get more minutes for Claxton, bench Claxton, then let Blake and Uncle Jeff get the minutes. Cold world.

Scottie Pippen is one of those players who's actually hurt his legacy in retirement. I didn't even know that he was an arrogant a-hole until after he retired. The only bad thing I knew about Scottie was that he was cheap. The last couple of years, stories of come out about his terrible attitude and he only compounds this by giving bizarre interviews and switching up narratives whenever he wants.

He went from saying that LeBron is the 🐐, to LeBron is behind the Jordan and Kobe to LeBron one with no help expeditiously

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom