2021 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: Media Day...SHENANIGANS

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's well known Shaq was a lazy fatass (relatively, compared to the average person obviously not).
He's said it himself. That's where the "Didn't maximize his potential" thing comes from.

Still one of the greatest to ever do it. He just aint have the work ethic of some of the people ahead of him on the list and you gotta wonder what it would've been like if he did.

Imagine a better Shaq with a longer peak :sick: I wouldn't even bother to play the game at C back then, I'd pull an AD and demand to be a PF everywhere I go :lol:

imagine if dude committed to a suburban housewife lifestyle to some degree

yoga, decent diet and run a couple days out of the week

look what going vegan did for Chris Paul

It’s probably not easy to keep your motivation after winning two titles in a row let alone 3

Jordan got burned out and quit

It actually makes me think kobe was even more of a lunatic— The fact that he stayed driven all throughout that time is kind of insane

So you wanted him to win 5 titles instead of 4? By the time he left LA he was 32. For someone that big, that many miles and with no jump shot that’s already getting up there

I don’t think expecting a 5 peat in LAL was realistic now that we look back in hindsight. Maybe beating Detroit but when you play in the same conference as Duncan, you have to bake in that he’d get the best of you once or twice

To fulfill his potential was he supposed to get 5 or 6 rings?

Good point, I would say that it would be marginal improvements:
- Another one or two scoring titles
- Another MVP or two
- Maybe prolonged his prime by a couple of more years

Crazy how another MVP can be seen as a marginal improvement. Just goes to show how great he was. But also, those can lead to maybe another title too which would put him in the top tier status as @atlsfinest mentioned above.
Titles are out. Those Magic teams couldn’t rely on guys 3-12 when it mattered, ran off 3 straight with Kobe & Phil then fatigue caught up to the Lakers role players, & even if Shaq was healthy & in shape in ‘07, Wade was not. ‘08 C’s had depth all over the place. By the ‘09 season he’s 36 years old.

Another scoring title would be cool but he already has more of those than Bron Malone & tied with Cap. MVP would’ve been cool too but he’d still be regarded where he is right now with 4 titles & 3 FMVPs.

If Shaq worked harder and stayed in better shape he probably has a longer prime - the drop off after he won his ring in Miami was pretty significant.

But can’t say it would have resulted in more rings or MVPs; but would have maybe got him higher on the all-time points, and rebounds.

Ironically yall sound like Shaq when you talk about Shaq :lol:. Imma need 40 and 20 for your career big fella. That should be easy for you

orrrrrrrrrrr how about as a professional athlete, have a decent diet and stay in shape

For someone that big, that many miles and with no jump shot that’s already getting up there

shaq wasnt a normal guy for that size.. most of those guys end up with knee or other issues

I’m more inclined to look at dude like a bigger Lebron.. someone clearly built to be that big

the striking thing about most nba players are how thin they are when you see them in person.. shaq was something else, even amongst those dudes

will never forget how much bigger he was than everyone else in the ‘06 finals

If Shaq worked harder and stayed in better shape he probably has a longer prime - the drop off after he won his ring in Miami was pretty significant.

But can’t say it would have resulted in more rings or MVPs; but would have maybe got him higher on the all-time points, and rebounds.

there were drops while he still was with the lakers, but he was just that much of a dominant force

but it did get the lakers in the pistons finals.. but even in Miami he should have been in better shape.. but it was obvious how much extra weight dude was carrying

Longevity obviously goes to Bron. Bron still has a losing record in the finals right? Is peak Bron better than peak Shaq? Cause peak Shaq wasn’t losing playoff games. Peak Shaq doesn’t have a 2011 finals either

I’m all ears

When you 4-6 having a losing record is irrelevent. Only Bill Russell and Sam Jones have been to the finals more than Bron.

Prime Shaq was swept out the playoffs a couple times. Shaq as dominant as he was aint start winning like that til Kobe started to become who he was and they got Phil.

When you 4-6 having a losing record is irrelevent. Only Bill Russell and Sam Jones have been to the finals more than Bron.

Prime Shaq was swept out the playoffs a couple times. Shaq as dominant as he was aint start winning like that til Kobe started to become who he was and they got Phil.

ehhh I would not say it’s irrelevant.

Shaq took a finals L early like Bron did. Shaq needed Kobe like Bron needed help too. Everyone needs help. Goat arguments are useless but the gap between Shaq and Bron shouldn’t be as big as some in here are making it to be. That’s all

Didn't Shaq have 3 straight Finals MVP?

that’s one of the many reasons he’s a top 10 players ever

but he‘s just not certain dudes in spite of the overwhelming talent he had

jordan won 3, retired.. came back and won 3 more

Michael Phelps won 6 gold medals and 2 bronzes in ‘04.. then the 8 gold medals in ‘08.. AND then 4 golds and 2 silvers in ‘12.. and in his last olympics 5 golds and a silver

Bolt won the 100, 200 and 4 x 100 gold medals in 3 straight olympics

one of the annoying things with shaq, is hearing this dude talk to or about other players like we didn’t watch him.. I wouldn’t even say imagine if dude held himself to the BS he goes on about when talking to other dudes.. just imagine if dude committed to keeping his weight down

Like is Bron the “GOAT” because he reached the said expectations and potential everyone laid out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom