2021 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: Media Day...SHENANIGANS

Status
Not open for further replies.
What expectations did LeBron have to begin with?

What expectations? :lol:

si_cover_lebron-e1487176174981.jpg

617rIKqIxkL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Lowkey think the Lakers-Celtics saved the league again in 2008 after the Spurs-Cavs Finals. :lol:

League really went on an upswing from that point forward with Bron, KD entering their prime and Steph crashing the party.

That just shows he was a hyped up HS prospect. The MJ/GOAT talk? News to me.

Pretty much anybody that was 6-6 to 6-8 that jumped high was at some point compared to Mike. Bron wore 23 and being as great as he was in highschool the Mike comparisons was constant. Me personally I always said their games was totally different but the media don't work like that.

Pretty much anybody that was 6-6 to 6-8 that jumped high was at some point compared to Mike. Bron wore 23 and being as great as he was in highschool the Mike comparisons was constant. Me personally I always said their games was totally different but the media don't work like that.

I remember seeing LeBron described as a MJ/Magic hybrid because he was an elite passer and elite athlete.

Decided to skim the article. I guess the comparisons are there but just don't remember them, that's all.
If you was born after 91 you wouldn't remember but yes it was a lot of people being compared to Mike in some way. Bron, Grant, Kobe, Vince, etc.

I remember seeing LeBron described as a MJ/Magic hybrid because he was an elite passer and elite athlete.

Even athletically I thought Bron and Mike was different. Mike was like a ballerina in the air. Bron was/is a power dunker. I thought he was Vince vert with Nique's power.

That just shows he was a hyped up HS prospect. The MJ/GOAT talk? News to me.

Naw man. There were legit articles and talking heads that made the comparison.
Never seen anything like it. Zion may be the closest thing hype wise, and still that doesn't compare.
You heard about this high school kid schooling NBA players in open runs, but there was no social media so everything was really word of mouth.
It was just different.

When Shaq said on TNT this season the first title he was 345, the second title he was 375, and the third he was 395. That told me all I needed to know about his commitment to diet and conditioning. I never bought all that I put on weight to take the pounding. Man was just not into working out/ conditioning and diet. Which is fine because he was still unstoppable.

What expectations did LeBron have to begin with?

I'm just going to go ahead and assume that you're under 25 and you don't remember the LeBron James hype. It's not a stretch at all to say that he I came in the league with the highest expectations of any player ever.

Bob Costas told LeBron to his face that unless he is a first ballot Hall of famer he would be considered an underachiever... And this was before he had even played a single NBA game.

On the cover of Sports Illustrated in HS, high school games on ESPN.

Before LeBron's high school game ESPN showed this crazy montage comparing him to Jordan, Kareem, magic and Larry Bird...as a high schooler.

Danny Ainge said LeBron would have been the first overall pick as a junior in high school.

Anything short of being at all time great player would have made LeBron a bust. The fact that he met and far surpassed those crazy expectations is a testament to his greatness.

People expect to players like Cunningham, Zion and Anthony Edwards to be good, potentially franchise changing but no one is predicting top 25 ever type careers for these guys. LeBron is the only prospect I can remember who came into the league with those type of expectations.

Last edited:
I'm 28. First memories of the NBA were the Lakers 3-Peat, but didn't start watching actively until the 04-05 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom