2021 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: Media Day...SHENANIGANS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also a big problem if youre bron bidding against a billionaire, especially an old retired billionaire.

look at the level of enjoyment Ballmer gets watching those games and owning the clippers.
that's priceless, it's worth almost any amount of money.

if Balmer didn't own the clippers he'd be the forgotten failed former CEO of Microsoft
who laughed at the original iPhone when it was announced.

that's how a team with no stadium goes for 2 billion.
Ehhh I know a handful of people who own stakes in sports teams and only ONE of them actually loves the team. For the rest of them it's purely an investment thing.

Ballmer is the exception not the rule from what I have seen.

Ballmer at MS was really a genius and idiot at the same damn time

Mans completely ****ed up MS on mobile, not only with the iPhone but with letting Andriod take off. But his moves with servers with Azure made them money hand over fist

my understanding is the azure was a gates call, to aquire the company that led to azure.
and Nadella is the one who really made it a massive profit center.

so i aint even gunna give him full credit for that. :lol:

my understanding is the azure was a gates call, to aquire the company that led to azure.
and Nadella is the one who really made it a massive profit center.

so i aint even gunna give him full credit for that. :lol:
Well I give him credit for not ******* it up

Which he easier could

I dunno, maybe I got a soft spot for him because he is the one that decided to extend the Xbox 360 repair warranty when the Red Ring of Death was happening. Was one of the worst days of my young adult life when that joint happened. The whole neighborhood heard my screams of pain.

But Stevie got me back in the game free of charge. I appreciated that.

You knew the owner of a big 4 franchise?

given how major sports franchise values have escalated I think your sample size of 1 might be an exception that proves the rule.

I personally know the owner of the New Jersey Devils and 76'ers.

His youngest daughter Hannah used to date my old MD's youngest son, back when they went to Columbia Prep. Chaperoned them a few times :laughing

Most of the time it's an investment thang. antidope antidope is right.

His youngest daughter Hannah used to date my old MD's youngest son, back when they went to Columbia Prep. Chaperoned them a few times :laughing

I think your off anecdotal experience is belied by the revealed preference of the bidders.

If this were the case, sports franchise values would be strictly tied to their revenue potential.
they aren't, they are treated more like seats in an exclusive club, or pieces of art.

the fact that clippers don't own a stadium, doesn't matter
or the Brooklyn nets not having any fans
or the Utah Jazz having a tiny regional market population.

if it were strictly business investment, Utah Jazz don't sell for 1.7 billion.

One of my friends in college was good friends with a guy from the Spanos family that owns the Chargers. I met him a couple times. From my interactions with him, seemed like the family was pretty passionate about the team.

I learned early on that you just have to treat it like venture for them. Went into a room once going on and on about how they should look to improve the team and got cold staraes and a shoulder tap.
I think your off anecdotal experience is belied by the revealed preference of the bidders.

If this were the case, sports franchise values would be strictly tied to their revenue potential.
they aren't, they are treated more like seats in an exclusive club, or pieces of art.

Purely anecdotal but from the conversations I have been a part of, the intrinsic value derived from the caché of the team is a very distant second to the present value of future earnings when it comes to determining the price of what a team will sell for. It's been math driven.

@DCAllAfrican travel or nah 🤔

She got that wet in more ways than one too
wow.png

Sensory overload.

…. Do you have a background in anything related to business valuation?

I think both can be true

There are owners just in it as an investment, there are owners that get a lot of utility out of owning a team aside from the money

The thing is that the existence of both is what really bid up the prices of teams. Especially with the billionaires that love the idea of being the owner of the team. When it comes buying time, these dudes will be willing to pay a price premium over others. Or dudes that can't afford a majority share are willing to kick in with an ownership group.

If it were one or the other, team values would be lower. The fact both exist, and the popularity of the NBA keeps growing, and more media companies want sports content for their channels and apps, then you get a lot of upward pressure on the value of teams.

It's really a mixture of both, but at the end of the day, it's all about the bottom line.

I used to work with Woody and Chris Johnson on a couple of deals back in 2014. Got to work REALLY closely with the Johnson family office as well. They were VERY passionate about the team, and of course want them to win, because that means more butts on those seats.

But usually, the owners of these teams aren't really into the sport/team as we are as fans. Of course you have your outliers.

yah it's not black or white, obviously it's not completely divorced from economics.

both play a part, I just think the exclusivity drives more irrational bidding, which pushes the price higher, than people purely bidding off of investment value.

…. Do you have a background in anything related to business valuation?

of course not I read what other experts say on the topic.

here's warren buffet on the subject if you'd prefer a non sneaker forum poster;

Well, they're kind of like art. I mean, they go up in value because there's just a lot of rich people that want to own one, and there's more rich people than there are teams. So they compete for 'em. Some of them don't make much money, as you know, but if you've got a lot of money, what are you gonna do with it? Some people buy art, some people buy houses, some people buy boats. I invest, but I'm different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom