2022 NBA Offseason Thread: Preseason kicks off; Things are fine in Los Angeles, Draymond beats the charges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who said the standard for having your number retired league wide had anything to do with what you did "beyond" the sport?

Only 3 people in the major sports have their numbers retired league wide. The NHL didn't retire 99 because Wayne Gretsky did some noble **** off the ice. Why does the NBA retiring a number have to come with some civil rights clause?

Oh Gretzky has his 99 retired league wide?

Yup - Jordan is ABSOLUTELY getting his number retired eventually.

I can’t speak for Gretzky, but I recognize that having your number retired league-wide goes beyond the sport.

I love MJ the competitor but he doesn’t deserve that distinction over Bill.

Don’t believe he deserves it but I understand the case for him.

Sengun was playing for turkey in a previous game too

Their roster is lit

Tobey is playing once again for Slovenia, he should have been a Mav two seasons ago

I can’t speak for Gretzky, but I recognize that having your number retired league-wide goes beyond the sport.

Says WHO?

Again...only THREE people have this distinction and it was TWO up until last week. Where was the standard established that this stuff goes "beyond the sport"?

:emoji_wastebasket:

45.jpg

I bought one though

I love MJ the competitor but he doesn’t deserve that distinction over Bill.

Don’t believe he deserves it but I understand the case for him.
It wouldn’t mean Jordan is getting a higher distinction over Russell, though

He isn’t the standard or at least he doesn’t have to be

Who said the standard for having your number retired league wide had anything to do with what you did "beyond" the sport?

Only 3 people in the major sports have their numbers retired league wide. The NHL didn't retire 99 because Wayne Gretsky did some noble **** off the ice. Why does the NBA retiring a number have to come with some civil rights clause?

Obviously we don't know, but since there's only one person in the NBA with their number retired, we can only use that as the standard for now. We just had one of the most iconic basketball players tragically pass away and not have his number retired. (There's some nuance there) I can't speak on the NHL cause I'm so far detached from that sport and those fans. For now, 2/3 players with their number retired accomplishments went beyond their sport.

Even if you wanted to keep it at basketball, Bill was a trailblazer. Looking beyond the rings, he was the first black head coach in all of sports, first player-coach, & helped organize one of the first NBA protest. Dude helped integrate the league for players & front offices. As time goes on we'll be able to gauge the standard more, but we can only go off what we know and what the NBA said for now.

Obviously we don't know, but since there's only one person in the NBA with their number retired, we can only use that as the standard for now. We just had one of the most iconic basketball players tragically pass away and not have his number retired. (There's some nuance there) I can't speak on the NHL cause I'm so far detached from that sport and those fans. For now, 2/3 players with their number retired accomplishments went beyond their sport.

Even if you wanted to keep it at basketball, Bill was a trailblazer. Looking beyond the rings, he was the first black head coach in all of sports, first player-coach, & helped organize one of the first NBA protest. Dude helped integrate the league for players & front offices. As time goes on we'll be able to gauge the standard more, but we can only go off what we know for now.
I don’t think it’s too soon to consider what jordan did for the league and the game to be enough to also retire his number some day

He took the game global. He took what magic and bird did to another level

I don’t think it’s too soon to consider what jordan did for the league and the game to be enough to also retire his number some day

He took the game global. He took what magic and bird did to another level

I don't either, but with him being retired for over 20 years and not having his jersey retired, I don't think it'll happen until he passes away & I hope that's a loooong ways away. Don't see it happening some random year, but stranger things have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom