2022 NBA Offseason Thread: Preseason kicks off; Things are fine in Los Angeles, Draymond beats the charges

Status
Not open for further replies.
XZdj_tOw.jpg

nick. nick. nick. nick. nick. nick.

I think the precedent has been set that you have to be more than a legend of the game to get your number retired league wide. Jackie Robison, now Bill Russell the reasons are clear it’s more than just who they where as athletes but who they where as people and what they represented as people. I don’t think any athlete alive right now measures up to that currently. If they didn’t retire Kobe’s number after his tragic passing I don’t see Jordan’s or anyone else’s being retired league wide again most likely.

And this is why league-wide jersey retirements don't work. There are no broad-sweeping criteria. Let's just not do it ever.

• Sad
Reactions: HIM
If they didn’t retire Kobe’s number after his tragic passing I don’t see Jordan’s or anyone else’s being retired league wide again most likely.

Kobe was/is one of my favorite players ever.

But nobody was wearing 24 like that man.

What do you mean?

24 wasn’t worldwide like MJ’s 23. It didn’t have that type of influence.

Kobe was is one of my favorite players ever.

But nobody was wearing 24 like that man.

What do you mean?

24 wasn’t worldwide like MJ’s 23. It didn’t have that type of influence.

I’m not just talking about how many people wore it and influence but the circumstances in which numbers are retired sometimes.

What I’m saying is they already showing that a league wide number retirement is not just about how great you were on the court and your influence off it commercially world wide aint really a factor

I’m not just talking about how many people wore it and influence but the circumstances in which numbers are retired sometimes.

What I’m saying is they already showing that a league wide number retirement is not just about how great you were on the court and your influence off it commercially world wide aint really a factor

I know how you are with numbers. I love you A.

But 23 will be retired.

I know how you are with numbers. I love you A.

But 23 will be retired.
It’s no question how iconic it is but I’d be surprised if it was because of the reasons the other two in American sports where retired. It’s no disrespect to Jordan at all to say he don’t fit that specific standard that’s been set for it by Jackie Robison and Bill Russell.

It’s no question how iconic it is but I’d be surprised if it was because of the reasons the other two in American sports where retired. It’s no disrespect to Jordan at all to say he don’t fit that specific standard that’s been set for it by Jackie Robison and Bill Russell.

I didn’t say Jordan fits the Jackie/Bill Russell/Ali standard. He doesn’t.

But IMO 23 will be retired one day for a different standard - Global influence.

We’ve never a jersey number takeover the world like that (still). And honestly, we may never see it again.

I didn’t say Jordan fits the Jackie/Bill Russell/Ali standard. He doesn’t.

But IMO 23 will be retired one day for a different standard - Global influence.

We’ve never a jersey number takeover like that. And we may never see it again.
I know you meant saying it would be for a different standard I just don’t think that different standard a good or powerful enough reason in comparison to the current standard that’s been set imo. Not to say that global influence like we never seen before isn’t an incredible thing but it’s not as incredible as being a civil rights icon and legendary human being

Jordan's greatness strictly revolves around basketball.
He transcended the game but it's for everything he did on the court.
Bill & Jackie went beyond that so I don't think 23 will be retired either.
Plus who besides Lebron wears 23 and constantly bigs Jordan up as the reason?
23 isn't even a desirable number across sports like that today.

Jordan and magic paved the way for individualism and to be marketed as such

At least for players I don’t think there was anyone more influential than Jordan in that way

Goes without saying, the players should be thankful for him. They should retire his number based on that alone- it elevated the league as a whole too

I know you meant saying it would be for a different standard I just don’t think that different standard a good or powerful enough reason in comparison to the current standard that’s been set imo. Not to say that global influence like we never seen before isn’t an incredible thing but it’s not as incredible as being a civil rights icon and legendary human being

I agree with that tho.

All I’m saying is that it’s going to happen eventually. I don’t make the rules.

Jordan's greatness strictly revolves around basketball.
He transcended the game but it's for everything he did on the court.
Bill & Jackie went beyond that so I don't think 23 will be retired either.
Plus who besides Lebron wears 23 and constantly bigs Jordan up as the reason?
23 isn't even a desirable number across sports like that today.
Isn’t the narrative that Magic, bird and jordan took the league and finals out of being tape delayed?

Based on that plus their other influences/accomplishments I don’t think it’s unrealistic to retire one or all their numbers

Isn’t the narrative that Magic, bird and jordan took the league and finals out of being tape delayed?

Based on that plus their other influences/accomplishments I don’t think it’s unrealistic to retire one or all their numbers

Exactly. The “standard” will change.

There's a good chance 23 is eventually retired league wide
Both Mike and Bron wore the number, it deserves that much respect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom