2022 NBA Offseason Thread: Preseason kicks off; Things are fine in Los Angeles, Draymond beats the charges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn’t the narrative that Magic, bird and jordan took the league and finals out of being tape delayed?

Based on that plus their other influences/accomplishments I don’t think it’s unrealistic to retire one or all their numbers

Yup, and based on that I don't think the league will retire all 3 of their jerseys.
If you do one, you'd have to do all 3 and I don't see it. None of them come close to what Bill did beyond basketball.
& if you do them, you'd have to do Lebron as well. I think a commemorative patch suffices for the year.
It's a slippery slope for the league to start retiring numbers like that.
There's a reason Bill has been the only player ever in 75 years to get that. Don't think that should change.

Yup, and based on that I don't think the league will retire all 3 of their jerseys.
If you do one, you'd have to do all 3 and I don't see it. None of them come close to what Bill did beyond basketball.
& if you do them, you'd have to do Lebron as well. I think a commemorative patch suffices for the year.
There's a reason Bill has been the only player ever in 75 years to get that. Don't think that should change.

Here’s the thing tho.

Bird and Magic wore popular numbers for that time. 33 and 32 were being worn by everyone.

Jordan came out of nowhere wearing 23. He put it on the map and it’s been the most iconic number in the history of worldwide sports ever since.

It’s different. Plus he’s better than all of them. :lol:

Last season, more players wore 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25 than 23

I wouldn’t wear 23 either.

I don’t want that pressure.

Na bro - I’m good.

(But for the ones who do wear it. WE ALL KNOW why)

I don’t think bill is the minimum standard to be considered though

Didn’t the league level up like crazy directly thanks to Jordan? and the players today are all benefitting due to that

Here’s the thing tho.

Bird and Magic wore popular numbers for that time. 33 and 32 were being worn by everyone.

Jordan came out of nowhere wearing 23. He put it on the map and it’s been the most iconic number in the history of worldwide sports ever since.

It’s different. Plus he’s better than all of them. :lol:

This ain't the 90s. Put 23 against any single digit number and see who wins.
Go to any AAU tourney and see what numbers kids are wearing.
Kids & ball players who widely consider Bron as the GOAT have seen him lose wearing 23. There's no pressure.
23 is a nostalgia number for most of us in here but these kids don't give a damn and probably associate that with Bron today.

What numbers did you guys wear? In HS, I wore 22 and 35. I think in middle school I was 13.

Middle school 6. (Because of no one)

Freshman 1. (Because of no one)

Varsity 7 (because of Ronaldo). :lol:

I always thought single digit numbers looked the best tho.

Shouldn’t it be the other way around?

It costs more money to print more numbers :lol:

Nah it was about not buying new jerseys at all. Played freshman team in 9th grade the first couple weeks of the season and they gave us the hand me downs hand me downs.

Matter of fact, we wore Kelly oubre sized shorts in the peak of the baggy shorts era. :smh:

Who said the standard for having your number retired league wide had anything to do with what you did "beyond" the sport?

Only 3 people in the major sports have their numbers retired league wide. The NHL didn't retire 99 because Wayne Gretsky did some noble **** off the ice. Why does the NBA retiring a number have to come with some civil rights clause?

21 the best non 1-11 jersey number

Deion wore 21 on the Braves too right?

Always thought 21 was a solid baseball number. But that’s probably because all the Yankee single numbers are retired (except for Jeter) during that time.

What numbers did you guys wear? In HS, I wore 22 and 35. I think in middle school I was 13.

for baseball i was always #1

sometimes was always the smallest kid weight wise and back in the day #1 jersey was always a small lol

when i got to HS baseball and made all public is when i wore #4.. 2008 shew good times man

still my number to this day i always try to rock.. no meaning behind it or anything but i guess can shout out Miguel Tejada cause he made that #4 look clean.. i would switch from SS and 2nd base

for baseball i was always #1

sometimes was always the smallest kid weight wise and back in the day #1 jersey was always a small lol

when i got to HS baseball and made all public is when i wore #4.. 2008 shew good times man

still my number to this day i always try to rock.. no meaning behind it or anything but i guess can shout out Miguel Tejada cause he made that #4 look clean.. i would switch from SS and 2nd base

I remember that in middle school. Baseball and Basketball were like that.

The smaller the digits smaller the size :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom