2022 OFFICIAL NBA PLAYOFF THREAD - NBA FINALS TIME - GS 4-2 - STEVE GETS #4……ON NT - SUMMER JAM SCREEN RECEIPTS INCOMING……

Status
Not open for further replies.
Players are more skilled than ever before and I’m not arguing for a return to 90’s basketball. But I guess I’m just tired of every team for the most part playing the same style, and just the constant three-point shot hunting instead of just creating good open looks.

Pace & Space was great for the game and it did a lot but I would like to see the game trend back the other way a little bit. Would love to see postups actually be a valuable offensive tool (especially now that the league you know has centers who could dominate with it) instead of a relic.

Like if you eliminated the three ball, I’d be curious to see how many different strategies teams would have, think you would see some teams go small and quick, some teams go super big. As it stand now, pretty much every team is forced into trying to look the same if they want to be a contender.

i dunno man. im no youngin but guys could only dribble with one hand back then. they were pretty limited.
not all guess I would think. regardless of that, they can still protect the ball. that's what's important. anyway, that's what makes it funny, nowadays, with all the equipment, training and innovation that new younger players have, it is funny that people can't still make a decent free throw. :rofl:

Players are more skilled than ever before and I’m not arguing for a return to 90’s basketball. But I guess I’m just tired of every team for the most part playing the same style, and just the constant three-point shot hunting instead of just creating good open looks.

Pace & Space was great for the game and it did a lot but I would like to see the game trend back the other way a little bit. Would love to see postups actually be a valuable offensive tool (especially now that the league you know has centers who could dominate with it) instead of a relic.

Like if you eliminated the three ball, I’d be curious to see how many different strategies teams would have, think you would see some teams go small and quick, some teams go super big. As it stand now, pretty much every team is forced into trying to look the same if they want to be a contender.
I wouldn't mind people taking a lot of 3 balls but making 3 balls as your only option or strategy in a game makes it bad especially when a team is missing badly and kept on insisting on shooting 3s all game long. mind you that the 3 ball was invented to make the game more interesting, entertaining and exciting. I don't see it being the 3 if they suck so bad.

They should put a 4-pt circle right below the free throw line for jump shots and dudes that wanna get ballsy and try to dunk on folks

not all guess I would think. regardless of that, they can still protect the ball. that's what's important. anyway, that's what makes it funny, nowadays, with all the equipment, training and innovation that new younger players have, it is funny that people can't still make a decent free throw. :rofl:
It's actually crazy, because unless you were a horrible free throw shooter, it was a beginning or end of practice routine for us in high school, almost like an afterthought. I'm pretty sure I practiced more on drawing the charge more than hitting free throws. Coaches assume that if you had a decent jumpshots, than you should be able to hit them. In reality, it's nothing like a reflexive jumpshots that you throw up with muscle-memory. The whole crowd is locked on to you while you try to set a routine that would help you out up a pinpoint shot. Your mind definitely can get in the way. :lol:

None of these last four teams play the same though. Golden state takes shots only they can take while employing constant movement. The Mavs play through their all world point forward. The heat play through their center and SF who doesn’t even shoot 3s and he posts up. The Celtics play through their two wings.

The bucks play through Giannis who plays every position. The grizzlies were lead by their PG who lead the league in paint scoring. Embiid is a back to the basket big when he wants to be. I can go on.

The ending results of guys shooting open jump shots hasn’t changed. It’s just the distance. We ain’t running floppy for 16 foot jumpers anymore. We just run Spain PNR that’s either going to end up in a wide open 3, a lob, or an open 3 for a spot up guy.

None of these last four teams play the same though. Golden state takes shots only they can take while employing constant movement. The Mavs play through their all world point forward. The heat play through their center and SF who doesn’t even shoot 3s and he posts up. The Celtics play through their two wings.

The bucks play through Giannis who plays every position. The grizzlies were lead by their PG who lead the league in paint scoring. Embiid is a back to the basket big when he wants to be. I can go on.

The ending results of guys shooting open jump shots hasn’t changed. It’s just the distance. We ain’t running floppy for 16 foot jumpers anymore. We just run Spain PNR that’s either going to end up in a wide open 3, a lob, or an open 3 for a spot up guy.
Bam been MIA

Obviously there are slight stylistic varieties but basically you spread the floor and have the best guy with his ball in his hands running pick and roll and with 3/D guys around him and one true big.

Warriors have Steph who changes the architecture of the game like on one else ever (except shaq imo), so without them it’s all pretty similar. Yes mavs are slow, Jimmy can’t shot threes but they’re all looking and hunting the same shots etc.

And that’s fine, but it’s just the whole league is looking to do that. I think the free, open style of ball has been good for the league hit when teams are scoring 130+ in the regular season, it’s trended too far in the other direction imo.

Amazing that people don’t realize how skills evolve over time :lol: I’m not sure how that’s a big shock to some of y’all or a reason to slight the dudes in the past.

So many new developments for strength training which leads to better athleticism. It’s like that with every sport.

“Aw man the Model T wasn’t very fast or fuel efficient!” Things evolve folks, believe it or not.

0BE6BE6B-B28B-4BC6-876A-9E98ECA679C8.jpeg

0C17173B-F166-4D6C-BD69-6429C1FAE99D.jpeg

B96858EA-63B7-4908-9084-3EEE56388F82.jpeg

92910C04-E201-4E08-8760-CF9C29AAEFBC.jpeg

We're seeing this play out right now in the WCF. Dallas and GSW couldn't play any more differently offensively. Just because they both shoot a lot of threes doesn't mean they're at all similar stylistically in how they generate those threes.

In terms of going way overboard, I think the turning point came last season when the Clippers went super small and eliminated the Jazz.

Seeing the results now with Grant Williams shooting 18 threes and the way the Mavs blew the doors off the Suns to end their series.

Is Joe Johnson a HOF'er? Before you say no he was a 7x all-star. Only 1 player with 7 all-star selections missed the HOF and that dude was from the 1950's.

Is Joe Johnson a HOF'er? Before you say no he was a 7x all-star. Only 1 player with 7 all-star selections missed the HOF and that dude was from the 1950's.

HOF borderline a joke. Joe Johnson aint no damn HoFer.

Should Lamarcus Aldridge or Blake Griffin make the HoF?

I seen some debate on that and my answer is a hard no. I know its a basketball hall of fame and its probably too late but the NBA needs to tighten that ship up.

The bar is definitely far lower than the MLB and NFL. Then you have the whole Mitch Richmond argument for anyone that's questionable.

It’s a love and hate relationship with the 3 ball. It’s the reason games get out of hand so quickly. No team should realistically be down 20+ points in the first quarter.

The 3 ball actually ruined Lillard’s season. He couldn’t hit the backside of a barn this year. Pretty sure it didn’t help his team by continuing to launch them cause 3 is worth more than 2. I get it though, I guess, I think.

Oh boy the HOF debate. An American born player who has more “success” in international play is a joke aka Carmelo Anthony. He is not HOF worthy. Take away FIBA and Olympics and he has nothing other than a NCAA chip. “Elite” scorer at one time I guess with constant 10 for 27 shooting nights.

We’re witnessing the greatest free throw shooter to ever play the game in Steph.

I get what y’all are saying, but the delta between regular season basketball and playoff playoffs is becoming an issue and makes a lot of regular season games increasingly unwatchable.

I think a lot of this could be fixed with less games (82 games at the pace these guys play now is far too much).

Just my feelings, maybe I’m just a salty knick fan though who hasn’t enjoyed getting to watch a conpetent team my entire life.

This idea that going back to older rules would create more styles of play I think is just wrong imo.

as basketball has professionalized and coaching and front offices have expanded

there just aren't any dumb teams that would be playing some sub optimal style of play.

it would take a very short period of time for teams to optimize for the most efficient strategies. would probably be a lot of big centers and teams with the best rim protection would win.

you would just get a different type of same.

also I think the post up is still pretty valuable, guys who are really good at doing it are really pretty devastating,

it's just kids all wanna be Steph, they don't want to be Jokic or Embiid.
that's a tale as old as time that is never going to change.

With no 3 point he probably takes 17 open jumpers anyways. I read somewhere there isn’t a large difference between the number of jumpers taken in this era versus 20-30 years ago.

this is the thing, when I was a kid Antonio Davis was lining up 15 footers all day
on the Raptors. :lol:

what real difference does it make if he stands behind the 3 point line.
that way he creates space for the star players we actually came to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom