2022 OFFICIAL NBA PLAYOFF THREAD - NBA FINALS TIME - GS 4-2 - STEVE GETS #4……ON NT - SUMMER JAM SCREEN RECEIPTS INCOMING……

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NBA has gone into overtime with this whole "We are changing the spirit of these awards" thing, and it's honestly purely to create debate and drum up interest.
  • They just gave the most improved player to a guy who won RotY... That makes no sense.
  • A 6th seed won MVP in recent history... That makes no sense.
  • Non-Playoff guys are making all NBA teams... That makes no sense.
The MVP award in particular is now a disaster, this year we had five different running narratives for why XYZ person should win.

The only award that has some semblance of logic now is the 6MotY which was always a nonsense PPG award. But at least we have a basis. The consistency of basketball was what made it great. Let's not turn it into random nonsense like what Football is.

The NBA has gone into overtime with this whole "We are changing the spirit of these awards" thing, and it's honestly purely to create debate and drum up interest.
  • They just gave the most improved player to a guy who won RotY... That makes no sense.
  • A 6th seed won MVP in recent history... That makes no sense.
  • Non-Playoff guys are making all NBA teams... That makes no sense.
The MVP award in particular is now a disaster, this year we had five different running narratives for why XYZ person should win.

The only award that has some semblance of logic now is the 6MotY which was always a nonsense PPG award. But at least we have a basis. The consistency of basketball was what made it great. Let's not turn it into random nonsense like what Football is.

Speaking purely in terms of 2022, this one has me peeved

Another is kind of the CotY. Spo lead a team with zero All-NBA guys to the 1 seed. That's kind of absurd.

Also, Luka has now made First Team All-NBA in three of his first four seasons :wow: . But he's not a superstar or generational according to some :rolleyes (okay, maybe just one :lol:)

Another is kind of the CotY. Spo lead a team with zero All-NBA guys to the 1 seed. That's kind of absurd.

Also, Luka has now made First Team All-NBA in three of his first four seasons :wow: . But he's not a superstar or generational according to some :rolleyes (okay, maybe just one :lol:)

This Embiid thing is so disrespectful.

I don’t like this at all.

LIke what are we talking about. None of this makes ANY SENSE.

Lets not forget this.... 2012 when Tyson Chandler won DPoY but was 2nd Team All-Defense somehow... WHAT

What’s ironic is that went through the whole mess with the ASG making it FC and BC just so specific centers aren’t automatically voted in but Embiid has more total All NBA votes and points than Tatum but has to be on the 2nd team because #tradition

Just make it the 2 best BC players and 3 best FC players

Lets not forget this.... 2012 when Tyson Chandler won DPoY but was 2nd Team All-Defense somehow... WHAT

I swear I was thinking about this earlier and couldn't remember who it was :lol:

Not to point fingers but IMO it's clearly because they got sportswriters, broadcasters and media members voting on all these awards. It's kind of silly. That's how stuff like this happens:

Andre Iguodala:

Sam Amick, USA Today
Ken Berger, CBSSports.com
Hubie Brown, ESPN Radio
Jason Lloyd, Akron Beacon Journal
Rusty Simmons, San Francisco Chronicle
Marc Spears, Yahoo Sports
Marc Stein, ESPN.com

LeBron James:

Steve Aschburner, NBA.com
Howard Beck, Bleacher Report
Zach Lowe, Grantland
Jeff Van Gundy, ABC TV

A player on the losing team getting four votes for putting up 37/13/9 and the guy who won it and was one of his primary defenders put up 16/6/4. :smh:

I can't even remember...how do defenders of Iggy winning it justify it? Series is hazy in my mind right now.

Last edited:
Marc Gasol also won 2012-13 DPOY but was only 2nd team all-defense :lol:

Looks like 124 sportswriters vote for DPOY and a mix of 123 sportwriters AND broadcasters vote for All-Defense. So I am assuming the different pools of voters is what leads to these goofy outcomes but come on, man...the folks they swap in for the All-Defense can't be that much stupider :lol:

A $500 wager on the Dubs and a few too many hazy's fueled last nights transgressions. I would like to apologize for that. I fell for the media narrative that the Warriors were motivated to end the series, obviously that was a lie. Also, I would like to clarify that Luka is indeed a star in this league although #4 is on the way for the Dubs.

The Nuggets were down 3-0 to GS in the first round, and Denver won that Game 4.

Memphis was down 3-1 last round, and GS lost that clinching Game 5 in that 49-point blowout.

Now last night, Mavericks win Game 4 despite GS being up 3-0 in the series.

I swear I was thinking about this earlier and couldn't remember who it was :lol:

Not to point fingers but IMO it's clearly because they got sportswriters, broadcasters and media members voting on all these awards. It's kind of silly. That's how stuff like this happens:

Andre Iguodala:

Sam Amick, USA Today
Hubie Brown, ESPN Radio
Marc Stein, ESPN.com

LeBron James:

Zach Lowe, Grantland
Jeff Van Gundy, ABC TV

A player on the losing team getting four votes for putting up 37/13/9 and the guy who won it and was one of his primary defenders put up 16/6/4. :smh:

I can't even remember...how do defenders of Iggy winning it justify it? Series is hazy in my mind right now.

Cavs were up 2-1.

Iggy gets inserted into the starting lineup in G4. Tied with Curry in 2 outta the 3 straight wins in points for team leading scorer.

And this...
Defending LeBron
A year ago, Kawhi Leonard won the Finals MVP while guarding LeBron James. Leonard, one of the elite perimeter defenders in the league today did a magnificent job on James but it can be said that Iguodala accomplished a greater feat from an efficiency standpoint. Per ESPN Stats & Information, James shot 58% from the field against Leonard in the 2014 Finals and an abysmal 33% with Iguodala as the defender. While it is hard to 'stop' LeBron James, it is not impossible to wear him down.

As the primary defender on James, Iguodala contested and forced him into tough shots throughout the entire series. James was often seen trying to get a jumper up with the shot-clock winding down because of great on-ball defense by Iguodala in the isolation. Besides that, Iguodala has also been discipline by rarely switching off of James. ESPN Stats & Information states that of the 90 possessions where Iguodala started off on James, the Cavaliers could only force him to switch 18 times (20 percent).

According to SI's Lee Jenkins, Iguodala has literally been preparing for matchups against James, studying his tendencies and moves for years. Here are James' statistics with Iguodala on bench versus Iguodala on court:

Iguodala on Bench: 44% FG, 82% FT, 47% eFG, +30 +/-, 107.4 offrtg, 88.6 defrtg, +18.8 netrtg

Iguodala on Court: 38% FG, 66% FT, 41% eFG, -55 +/-, 94.1 offrtg, 109.7 defrtg, -15.5 netrtg

Catalyst for the team
The Warriors were exponentially better with Iguodala on the floor. By inserting him into the starting lineup, Golden State regained control of the pace of the game, playing small-ball to their advantage by exposing the Cavaliers' on offense. Iguodala helped open up the floor for the offense to thrive and he was often wide-open as a result. Furthermore, his versatility gave the Warriors' options to switch on pick-and-rolls while his ability to run the floor produced a number of fastbreak opportunities.

Iguodala's on court net rating was second best among Warriors' players behind only Marresse Speights who played sparingly. Additionally, Golden State had their lowest offensive rating with Iguodala off the court. These are the Warriors' numbers with Iguodala on bench compared to Iguodala on court:

Iguodala on Bench: 91.2 offrtg, 100.2 defrtg, -8.9 netrtg, 83.8 pts per 48 min

Iguodala on Court: 108.8 offrtg, 91.6 defrtg, +17.2 netrtg, 101.9 pts per 48 min

He was clearly the catalyst on both ends for GS turning that series around and the genesis of the death lineup, don't know why people try and ret-con it like he didn't deserve that FMVP.

Andre Iguodala:

Sam Amick, USA Today
Hubie Brown, ESPN Radio
Marc Stein, ESPN.com

LeBron James:

Zach Lowe, Grantland
Jeff Van Gundy, ABC TV

They hate green eyes curry. That's the justification.

Cavs were up 2-1.

Iggy gets inserted into the starting lineup in G4. Tied with Curry in 2 outta the 3 straight wins in points for team leading scorer.

And this...
Defending LeBron
A year ago, Kawhi Leonard won the Finals MVP while guarding LeBron James. Leonard, one of the elite perimeter defenders in the league today did a magnificent job on James but it can be said that Iguodala accomplished a greater feat from an efficiency standpoint. Per ESPN Stats & Information, James shot 58% from the field against Leonard in the 2014 Finals and an abysmal 33% with Iguodala as the defender. While it is hard to 'stop' LeBron James, it is not impossible to wear him down.

As the primary defender on James, Iguodala contested and forced him into tough shots throughout the entire series. James was often seen trying to get a jumper up with the shot-clock winding down because of great on-ball defense by Iguodala in the isolation. Besides that, Iguodala has also been discipline by rarely switching off of James. ESPN Stats & Information states that of the 90 possessions where Iguodala started off on James, the Cavaliers could only force him to switch 18 times (20 percent).

According to SI's Lee Jenkins, Iguodala has literally been preparing for matchups against James, studying his tendencies and moves for years. Here are James' statistics with Iguodala on bench versus Iguodala on court:

Iguodala on Bench: 44% FG, 82% FT, 47% eFG, +30 +/-, 107.4 offrtg, 88.6 defrtg, +18.8 netrtg

Iguodala on Court: 38% FG, 66% FT, 41% eFG, -55 +/-, 94.1 offrtg, 109.7 defrtg, -15.5 netrtg

Catalyst for the team
The Warriors were exponentially better with Iguodala on the floor. By inserting him into the starting lineup, Golden State regained control of the pace of the game, playing small-ball to their advantage by exposing the Cavaliers' on offense. Iguodala helped open up the floor for the offense to thrive and he was often wide-open as a result. Furthermore, his versatility gave the Warriors' options to switch on pick-and-rolls while his ability to run the floor produced a number of fastbreak opportunities.

Iguodala's on court net rating was second best among Warriors' players behind only Marresse Speights who played sparingly. Additionally, Golden State had their lowest offensive rating with Iguodala off the court. These are the Warriors' numbers with Iguodala on bench compared to Iguodala on court:

Iguodala on Court: 108.8 offrtg, 91.6 defrtg, +17.2 netrtg, 101.9 pts per 48 min

He was clearly the catalyst on both ends for GS turning that series around and the genesis of the death lineup, don't know why people try and ret-con it like he didn't deserve that FMVP.

"Spoiler: Iggy's D"

1630245.png

edit: the quick edit :lol:

Cavs were up 2-1.

And this...
Defending LeBron

Catalyst for the team

Can you tell us who they took out the starting line up? Replace Iggy with Shaun and the results are the same.
Can you tell us how many minutes Iggy was on the court when $t3ph wasn't on the court?

Am I tripping or are the first 4 “stats” in that embiid tweet just the same thing over and over again?

Scoring champion
first center to be scoring champ since x
First foreign scoring champ
First center to avg 30

We get it. He was the scoring champion.

Andre Iguodala:

Sam Amick, USA Today
Hubie Brown, ESPN Radio
Marc Stein, ESPN.com

LeBron James:

Zach Lowe, Grantland
Jeff Van Gundy, ABC TV

Starting Iggy was the adjustment that turned the series in golden states favor.

you have it in reverse,
in the past the MVP was decided based on narrative

and nowwe have been moving towards more objective criteria.

Am I tripping or are the first 4 “stats” in that embiid tweet just the same thing over and over again?

Scoring champion
first center to be scoring champ since x
First foreign scoring champ
First center to avg 30

We get it. He was the scoring champion.

exactly, according to this we should just decide all nba based on PPG.

This Embiid thing is so disrespectful.

I don’t like this at all.
Alot of those are repetitive empty stats. How many times can you bullet that he was scoring champ? “First player, who also indulges in finger painting, to win scoring champion”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom