2022 OFFICIAL NBA PLAYOFF THREAD - NBA FINALS TIME - GS 4-2 - STEVE GETS #4……ON NT - SUMMER JAM SCREEN RECEIPTS INCOMING……

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't help that JB isn't any good off the ball, either.

He's effectively been rendered useless by teams built like this for three postseasons now... Needs to be in a different spot.

can the mavs get buddy hield from the pacers somehow? pair Luka with a reliable 2 guard who moves off ball. buddy would be shooting career highs

Brunson just needs the ball in his hands as the lead guard. He’s too small to be off the ball. Standing in the corner.

The Mavs offense is also super predictable. Combine that with Luka being a ball hog is not a good mix. Luka reminds me of a young Kobe where he didn’t trust teammates at all. Gotta pair him with a legit big man, because a guard or a wing and itll just be your time my turn with neither playing defense. Another recipe for a 2nd round exit.

Brunson just needs the ball in his hands as the lead guard. He’s too small to be off the ball. Standing in the corner.

The Mavs offense is also super predictable. Combine that with Luka being a ball hog is not a good mix. Luka reminds me of a young Kobe where he didn’t trust teammates at all. Gotta pair him with a legit big man, because a guard or a wing and itll just be your time my turn with neither playing defense. Another recipe for a 2nd round exit.
Brunson isn’t doing anything with the ball in his hands. Can’t get by any of the bigger, better PHX defenders. Like osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh said, this isn’t Mitchell and Clarkson anymore.

Gotta pair him with a legit big man, because a guard or a wing and itll just be your time my turn with neither playing defense. Another recipe for a 2nd round exit.
Eh - I just think that kinda thing takes time. Gotta have someone that can just put their head down and go get it. Brunson's not THAT.

Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown were the your-turn-my-turn thing for awhile and they've largely figured it out.

JB does a ton of stuff really well, but he's just not that guy.

Gonna be interesting to see how it plays out. Cuz they need a roster shuffle. Probably ends up in signing him this offseason and trading him down the road. Sign and trades are tough to figure out because of the hard cap **** that kicks in.

Luka is gonna need a second great ISO scorer. If the Mavs are content to build around him like Harden on the D'antoni Rockets then they will need to find a CP3-caliber second scorer to take pressure off him and for defenses to respect. Mavs offensive system is all 5-out where Luka creates everything for shooters but when there's not another perimeter scorer that can open things up then what you see is the Mavs in this series vs. a good defense.

Wanna know how wins my Suns are away from the WCF....
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Watching what Chris Paul does with Phoenix and the level he's playing at right now... And thinking about where he was three years ago is wild.

Houston trades a bunch of stuff for him, then ran this man off for Russ. And then OKC traded him for Kelly Oubre, a bag of potato chips and one 1st rounder.

What the hell planet did all this happen on?

N41D N41D JB and Tatum work because they play defense. Plus it took a while for them to figure it out offensively. Rumors of trades were there for years.

If other teams are asking for Luka switches thats not a good look. It’s obvious Luka is super talented and despite being young, he’s a player that people will turn on fast. I just think big picture Luka can’t play with another ball dominant guard/wing.

Would you hate it? Getting him off the ball some should push the slash lines back towards Denver/OKC numbers his two years before his Detroit stint.

He's bigger - which they also need.

Luka/JB don't work and you gotta get something.
I wouldn't hate it. At the same time, Grant is gonna be up for an extension so idk how much they have the stomach for that

Brunson at best is a third option but they prob don't have flexibility to get a true #2 with what they currently have

They really only have THJ, Spencer and Powell as the expendable bait but idk who's gonna want that

Would suck to lose Brunson though. I'd be sick. At the same time a small guard who isn't even an elite shooter can't be your 2nd best player

Wonder who else could be had for a S&T

Brunson isn’t doing anything with the ball in his hands. Can’t get by any of the bigger, better PHX defenders. Like osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh said, this isn’t Mitchell and Clarkson anymore.

Outside of Bridges (whose a top defender) I don’t see much difference defensively between the Crowders/Cam Johnson and Royce Oneals etc. I’ve been noticing a whole lot of standing around by most Dallas guards while Luka forces a pick and pop and asks for a screen dribbling for 15 seconds. Then when Brunson gets the ball he has to take some dumb shot with 5 seconds left. I put him right in that Brogdon category (he’s def not better than FVV) but he needs to be a lead guard to play make. He can break down defenses, get switches, etc but the ball just isn’t in his hands like it was in round 1. Luka just doesn’t trust these guards against better teams.

Outside of Bridges (whose a top defender) I don’t see much difference defensively between the Crowders/Cam Johnson and Royce Oneals etc. I’ve been noticing a whole lot of standing around by most Dallas guards while Luka forces a pick and pop and asks for a screen dribbling for 15 seconds. Then when Brunson gets the ball he has to take some dumb shot with 5 seconds left. I put him right in that Brogdon category (he’s def not better than FVV) but he needs to be a lead guard to play make. He can break down defenses, get switches, etc but the ball just isn’t in his hands like it was in round 1. Luka just doesn’t trust these guards against better teams.

Basically this.

How much money you really want to give Jalen Brunson?

he's a nice player but....
Considering Spencer is getting basically 19 a year and someone like say Brogdon is getting 22 a year...

Considering that Dallas cannot replace Brunson with anyone if he were to leave because they are cap strapped....

Considering that there's teams with big cap room already throwing their interest at him...

Jalen Brunson is going to make between 20-25 a year... and Dallas is primed to overpay for him

N41D N41D JB and Tatum work because they play defense. Plus it took a while for them to figure it out offensively. Rumors of trades were there for years.

If other teams are asking for Luka switches thats not a good look. It’s obvious Luka is super talented and despite being young, he’s a player that people will turn on fast. I just think big picture Luka can’t play with another ball dominant guard/wing.
Until the Mavs have more versatility offensively, Luka’s gonna get hunted like this in the playoffs. He just is.

The Suns are doing what the Clippers did for two years. Suffocate Brunson, make Luka THE ONLY PLAYMAKER, and let him burn his legs out while he torches first halves of games.

Utah had plenty of guys that could attack Luka and he never got hunted like this because Dallas could do other stuff offensively in that series and Luka had legs for 48.

He’s not a miserable defender in general but you can turn him into one in a hurry right now.

All you gotta do is let him score 25 in a half but make him dribble the shot clock down every trip. And it’s not difficult for really good teams to do as things are currently constructed.

Ideally Dallas and Chicago just swap their free agent guards in Brunson for Lavine

With Dallas salary dumping some of their other pieces like THJ and Powell to make room

idk, somehow someway lol

Ideally Dallas and Chicago just swap their free agent guards in Brunson for Lavine

With Dallas salary dumping some of their other pieces like THJ and Powell to make room

idk, somehow someway lol
S&T’s hit you with a hard cap though.

I think the move ends up being you gotta pay Brunson and play the first half of the year out.

Luka is gonna need a second great ISO scorer. If the Mavs are content to build around him like Harden on the D'antoni Rockets then they will need to find a CP3-caliber second scorer to take pressure off him and for defenses to respect. Mavs offensive system is all 5-out where Luka creates everything for shooters but when there's not another perimeter scorer that can open things up then what you see is the Mavs in this series vs. a good defense.

Until the Mavs have more versatility offensively, Luka’s gonna get hunted like this in the playoffs. He just is.

The Suns are doing what the Clippers did for two years. Suffocate Brunson, make Luka THE ONLY PLAYMAKER, and let him burn his legs out while he torches first halves of games.

Utah had plenty of guys that could attack Luka and he never got hunted like this because Dallas could do other stuff offensively in that series and Luka had legs for 48.

He’s not a miserable defender in general but you can turn him into one in a hurry right now.

All you gotta do is let him score 25 in a half but make him dribble the shot clock down every trip. And it’s not difficult for really good teams to do as things are currently constructed.

Dallas needs an athletic big or just a serviceable one. They need to make some moves in the offseason.

Harden strikes me as the type to be happy when they lose the series with Embiid out. Now they got an excuse and Harden won’t be blamed for losing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom