2023 MLB Thread; Say Hey, everybody: Rest In Power, Willie

Bret Saberhagen is getting $250k a year from a team he hasn't played for in 28 years.
Bobby Bonilla is still getting paid by the Mets from a contract he signed in 1991 (and got traded to Florida 3 years in). Here’s some other wild deferred payments from Bobby Bonilla Day:

Bonilla's deferred salary with the Mets is the most famous July 1 payment in baseball, hands down, but it is not the only July 1 payment in the game. In fact, Bonilla has a second deferred salary agreement with the Baltimore Orioles, who still owe him $500,000 a year from 2004-28. July 1 is a good day in the Bonilla household.

Here are a few other notable deferred salary payment plans:

The Cincinnati Reds have paid Ken Griffey Jr. roughly $3.6 million each year since 2009. He will receive his final payment in 2024.

The Boston Red Sox have paid Manny Ramirez approximately $2 million each year since 2011 and will continue to do so through 2026.

The St. Louis Cardinals began paying Matt Holliday his deferred salary in 2020. He gets $1.5 million a year until 2029.

Beginning this year, the Orioles will pay Chris Davis $3.5 million annually through 2032. He then gets $1.7 million a year from 2033-37.

The Mets have paid Bret Saberhagen $250,000 each year since 2004 and will continue to do so through 2028.

The Red Sox will pay Rafael Devers $7.5 million annually from 2034 to 2043, thanks to his 11-year, $331 million contract that included a $75 million deferment.

These ball players that take deferred payments are smart, especially since we know they are or were paid market value during their career. I imagine there are quite a few active players with these types of contracts right now.

With the huge contract Ohtani is about to receive, I wonder how much of it he would agree to in deferred payments. The amount he’s about to receive, I can see him getting millions until he’s a hundred years old, if he lives that long.

I’m watching Mets/Padres on SNY and one of the guys on the Mets announcing crew is clowning the Padres for giving 36 y/o Yu Darvish a 6 yr deal, which is a fair point unless it’s coming from someone connected to the Mets, who just signed two near 40 year old pitchers to deals with absurd yearly salaries

Mets announcers are really funny and entertaining. Can’t lie.

Darling, Keith Hernandez, and Gary Cohen will go after everyone and anything - including the Mets.

Bobby Bonilla is still getting paid by the Mets from a contract he signed in 1991 (and got traded to Florida 3 years in). Here’s some other wild deferred payments from Bobby Bonilla Day:
Chris Davis made out good :lol: :smh:

Mets announcers are really funny and entertaining. Can’t lie.

Darling, Keith Hernandez, and Gary Cohen will go after everyone and anything - including the Mets.

I also like their crew, especially Darling. I just thought the irony was funny.

Not his fault the Mets made that deal.

OK what’s going on here? Are you one of those NY guys that shamelessly roots for both the Yankees and Mets?

OK what’s going on here? Are you one of those NY guys that shamelessly roots for both the Yankees and Mets?

No man :lol:

I know his son and daughter, grew up with them.

The towns in and around me have so many current and former Major Leaguers man - Mets and Yankees.

I’ve told you this before I think.

Look up Mookie Betts’ future payments schedule
It was posted in the dodger thread. Dodgers front office acting like they’re operating with the A’s budget. They have the money, just pay it up front. The have the highest average ticket price in the league and #1 attendance, they have the money.

It was posted in the dodger thread. Dodgers front office acting like they’re operating with the A’s budget. They have the money, just pay it up front. The have the highest average ticket price in the league and #1 attendance, they have the money.

You sure Mookie didn’t want it structured that way?

Back
Top Bottom