2023 Official MLB Season Thread

It’s gonna be a problem if it becomes a trend like NHL teams giving out 70 mil over 15 years lol.

For now if this report is true what can anyone else do about it?

What could the players association do about it?

How could they stop a contract that he wants to sign?

They MLBPA have done this before. When A-Rod tried to take less and go to the Red Sox.

The players want their money.

Ohtani is an exception. He’s probably still under his parents allowance.

The deferred compensation Article in the CBA is something the players agreed to though. There’s can’t necessarily have any fight on/to it as they signed off on it to happen essentially.

Because all we know is it takes one team to set a new precedent that every other team will try to copy...

We're saying a team could theoretically (and legally) field a starting lineup with the 9 highest contracts in MLB and not have to pay them anything if they all fully deferred? And team salary would be at basically zero for the season? (extreme example)

I never know what the MLBPA can or can’t do. I just know they’re the most powerful player-union in the world.

Doing this to save billionaires money doesn’t seem like something they’d want/endorse - but if they see a future in differed contracts then I’m sure they won’t complain.

Why would the PA be mad? That just leaves more money for the dodgers to spend on players (assuming they don’t defer everybody they sign)

They’re not international superstars like Ohtani who can make another $30M thru endorsements every single yea.

Some may want their money right now.

This is the MLBPA. Just never be surprised at what they can do.

Back
Top Bottom