2024 NIKE SB DUNK THREAD_____GRs and QSs added

Sheesh what shop is that??
I'm in Canada. It's called Coastline, it's a skateboard/surfing shop. Only store in the city that gets Dunk SB's. And ALL of them sit. They still have those black safari print Highs, and thermal stitch Highs as well. Snake eyes as well. In this city, people either wear Jordan's, nike runners, or vans or Jano type shoes. Nothing in between. A year ago I kinda knew the guy that did their ordering. He told me that it was only me and one other person that ever even asked about dunks there. The thing that really pissed me off was they randomly got the Black Lance Mountains about 3 months late last year. Of course all the JB beasts gobbled them up, I never had a shot :smh:

Cliff Notes:
I wouldn't be surprised if my local ditches Nike SB in the near future.

Last edited:
Yea nikes whole policy is messed up the skateshop right up the block from me couldn't keep up with the demand to even get good releases they really need to work on that

Sounds like my local. No one here buys dunks. They finally sold their last pair of BHM dunks after they heavily discounted them.... The BHM's from 2014
sick.gif
. They recently had to discount the 510s to get em to move too. I get frustrated they never get any SB's in, but it's because they can never sell the ones they DO get in.
Yep this is true. Which is why a lot of them try to hype up GRs. There are too many releases for the brick and mortar locals to keep selling Nike SB. Any release that gets hyped at all, a week before it drops, pictures of the next next release come out and everyone jumps on that train. Vicious cycle. That's why you see things sitting more and more, and new releases coming in less and less. It's not worth it to the locals unless your online store is really really really poppin.

Last edited:
From what I've personally seen, what really sells at smaller locals is janoskis. Nice price point and the younger generations love them, no matter the colorway.

At my local shops (luckily have two that get most all the dunks) none of the kids buy the dunks to skate in....
It's really just hypebeasts and older skaters like me that get them

One shop just started carrying SBs recently (last year?) so they try to make every release seem special
The other doesn't do much unless it's already hyped (both shops will charge over box for hyped releases, which sucks for someone like me that tries to buy local when possible.... But I get it as to why they do)

They have both told me how Nike dumps stuff on them and dangles the QS carrot in front of them.... Luckily for me both shops will gladly negotiate on stock that sits...... They still make money, I get a deal AND buy locally

I also buy my skate stuff from those two shops as well because I know being a skateshop now a days is real tough (and these are cool peeps, don't want them out on the street)

Cool pic^, although Weezy's not new to SBs. Shortly after the NLs dropped, there was a pic of him at some skatepark in the NL lows.
Lol

...Lil Wayne's been on SBs for a decade+ 

Lest we forget (or never knew)

Last edited:
Why do you guys think nike sb created their "support your local" promotion ?

So we can dig out the mess they put the shops in financially with their bs because shops are struggling to stay above water.

I don't understand that either.. Does Nike limit what these shops have access to?

I think a NSB account entails ordering a certain quantity of product from Nike on a monthly basis. It's hard to keep ordering new products when you have old product (some of these shops have 5+ year old shoes still in stock) still sitting.

Also, I don't think Nike has a buy-back program with NSB accounts like they do with major retailers (FTL, FNL, etc.).

Maybe @ATs Kicks can shed some light on this for us?

Last edited:
i love sb and if they dont go back to the basics down the road it could get alot worse for shops , especially the smaller ones. funny that they did a support your local when they are the reason alot of shops have gone under the past few years.
I think that's the problem... Nike SB is strangling shop owners.  In the early 2000s, they promised they wouldn't sell their skate shoes anywhere except core skate shops, and the model worked well for a long time. Shops got paid with Nike $$ and even though the team and non-dunk SBs weren't selling so well, the money from the dunks easily covered costs. Nike's market share grew and likewise, the number of models and styles they offered grew. Instead of doing the market research and putting the right products in skate shops, they just put hundreds of SKUs into a small shops and let them pick up the tab on Nike's failures. Then they collapsed 6.0 and started selling all the team SBs at the mall where the bigger retailers were able to run wider margins and stay afloat even without dunks. Skate shops now had to compete with the big box stores to sell their unwanted stock, and Nike would continue force on them to get the prized dunks. It's not unreasonable to think that 1 or 2 styles of a shoe could outsell and pay for 10 others on the shelves, but these are skate shops, and keeping supply is somewhat of a challenge already. No small shop is going to be able to move FSR of 30+ different shoes in the off season. My local saw this coming and ditched SB all together when they started folding the 6.0 brand into SB to sell at malls.

A lot of market analysts say Nike is creating their own death with their massive distribution channels. They've grown to a level where they have to keep the QTY pushing through the pipes without flooding the market they're still gaining share of. Eventually, they'll need to retract, even a little bit, and Nike's resource skeleton in place will starve retailers from a supply side. 

I think a NSB account entails ordering a certain quantity of product from Nike on a monthly basis. It's hard to keep ordering new products when you have old product (some of these shops have 5+ year old shoes still in stock) still sitting.

Also, I don't think Nike has a buy-back program with NSB accounts like they do with major retailers (FTL, FNL, etc.).

Are these shops not allowed to take the time to find other avenues for selling these SB'S? Here's why I'm questioning.. The SB market is HUGE people are constantly buying and new buyers are constantly being introduced.. I just think if you have issues with inventory or selling as a shop owner or manger you should take matters into your own hand.. Not blame the DC for essentially giving you what you wanted...

An SB account when used properly will enhance your business.... Not make your business
Some shop owners don't see this, they just see the hype of QS drops and think that will carry them

If you are a small shop then having an SB account is not a good idea

Our main skateshop here has several store locations AND a skatepark (21 years strong and they need a collab already)

Stocking a skate shop isn't easy though..

You don't just order the same stuff every month. Trends burn HARD in skateboarding. One month you might have the hottest gear out, and the next month, you might have a shop full of duds. Some stuff works, others doesnt. Good shops work to understand their own market and supply their customers with what sells and is in demand.

With Nike, they didn't get the option. If they wanted Nike, they had to take it all or nothing. Might be easy to say "simple, then don't", but if the next town over has a skateshop that sells to a different customer base but also carries all of the Nike SBs you don't, you might have to go out of business chasing down the gap.

Nike's product is in very high demand, and they use that demand to strong-arm retailers.

I love SBs as much as the next guy, but it's pretty obvious they're a terrible company as far as business ethics go.

Have any of you ever read a Nike SB/ Shop contract?

Last edited:
Stocking a skate shop isn't easy though..

You don't just order the same stuff every month. Trends burn HARD in skateboarding. One month you might have the hottest gear out, and the next month, you might have a shop full of duds. Some stuff works, others doesnt. Good shops work to understand their own market and supply their customers with what sells and is in demand.

With Nike, they didn't get the option. If they wanted Nike, they had to take it all or nothing. Might be easy to say "simple, then don't", but if the next town over has a skateshop that sells to a different customer base but also carries all of the Nike SBs you don't, you might have to go out of business chasing down the gap.

Nike's product is in very high demand, and they use that demand to strong-arm retailers.
I love SBs as much as the next guy, but it's pretty obvious they're a terrible company as far as business ethics go.

Have any of you ever read a Nike SB/ Shop contract?

how many people in here actually support SB other than Dunks? sometimes you have to look a little deeper than saying Nike is a terrible company from an ethics standpoint

Think you guys are over thinking it.. If Nike we not accretive to a business, a business would not use nike. Maybe there are business cycles but I doubt any nike retailer is saying nike is  "putting them under"

Back
Top Bottom