2024 NIKE SB DUNK THREAD_____GRs and QSs added

thanks John00 for all the shops for the Send Help 2s. starting to like them a lot more after i keep seeing more pictures.

Skate shops existed before SBs were ever created/popular. If a skate shop was to go out of business because Pac Sun starting carrying the SB line than they got their business model all messed up. Skate shops are SKATE SHOPS. they sell all kinds of things that involve SKATING. clothing. boards. other skate shoes. socks. hats. etc.

like others have said - buying shoes at local shops and talking to the shop owners etc - is just a lot more fun than buying at big corp stores who will probably never remember you.

I welcome the SB line at Pac Sun - maybe get deals and GRs more easily since I'm closer to the mall. but will continue to support the small shops when I'm around or during harder to get releases - it can be a positive thing - no need to pick sides.

I welcome the SB line at Pac Sun - maybe get deals and GRs more easily since I'm closer to the mall. but will continue to support the small shops when I'm around or during harder to get releases - it can be a positive thing - no need to pick sides.
not to detract. reps to the man.

but thats the whole point... if everyone just goes to small shops "when (he/she is) around" or "during harder to get releases" then they sit on the other product and don't make money... to make the small shop model work you have to be willing to cop everything from those guys and truly support them.

thanks John00 for all the shops for the Send Help 2s. starting to like them a lot more after i keep seeing more pictures.

Skate shops existed before SBs were ever created/popular. If a skate shop was to go out of business because Pac Sun starting carrying the SB line than they got their business model all messed up. Skate shops are SKATE SHOPS. they sell all kinds of things that involve SKATING. clothing. boards. other skate shoes. socks. hats. etc.

like others have said - buying shoes at local shops and talking to the shop owners etc - is just a lot more fun than buying at big corp stores who will probably never remember you.

I'm not saying that this will be the end of locals. There will be a bit of Darwinism in action and some that were probably teetering on the brink already might go belly up, but I don't think this will irreparably change things. That said, don't underestimate the impact of big chains pushing out even niche-based mom and pops. The same argument about skate shops being able to support themselves through other things would apply to all the smaller, specialized businesses that Walmarts have knocked out the game over the years. Business is business though - adapt or die, right?

Straight from a close friend (skate shop owner whose had an SB account since the beginning)
Skate shops do and did sell all kinds of things but the difference between now and then is that the skate industry has never had a company/brand insinuate themselves into the scene the same way a crack dealer does.

They created something with high demand and forced the retailers to dedicate more and more of their floor and rack space to it. At first it seems ok because it turns quickly and there is demand. But after they get you hooked, the problems set in. In order to keep getting that high you have to keep ordering more and more. It's not just shoes, now it's apparel, backpacks and accessories. They are trying to take over all categories. The retailers might not even notice it happening at first because they see dollar signs and the fact that the other brands aren't selling as well. So they go with it.

The problem arises when it becomes more widely distributed. Small retailers can't sell it as well because it's in the mall and on line and everywhere. It's not as interesting to the core customers and it's not driving ancillary customers either. It's not as simple as just stopping selling nike. It's not like shops can just put in other brands in it's place. Those brands that are still existing in the skate market are struggling because they have taken a big hit with nike eroding their market share through all retail channels. They also can't keep up with Nike's marketing and "innovation", legit or not. So if I were to just put a bunch of other brands on the wall I would sit on them. People just don't care about Lakai or Fallen or Emerica for that matter.

So, the over all market strategy for nike isn't just to blow up the SB brand, it's to first grab market share, then squeeze out the endemic brands. Then, squeeze out the skate shops that helped them build the brand, and channel everything to their volume accounts and then ultimately grab the Lion share of the sales though their website. Direct to consumer is what they see as the future. It doesn't matter what type of shoes they are selling or who they are selling them to. They just want to move all the dollars to their pocket.

Straight from a close friend (skate shop owner whose had an SB account since the beginning)
Skate shops do and did sell all kinds of things but the difference between now and then is that the skate industry has never had a company/brand insinuate themselves into the scene the same way a crack dealer does.

They created something with high demand and forced the retailers to dedicate more and more of their floor and rack space to it. At first it seems ok because it turns quickly and there is demand. But after they get you hooked, the problems set in. In order to keep getting that high you have to keep ordering more and more. It's not just shoes, now it's apparel, backpacks and accessories. They are trying to take over all categories. The retailers might not even notice it happening at first because they see dollar signs and the fact that the other brands aren't selling as well. So they go with it.

The problem arises when it becomes more widely distributed. Small retailers can't sell it as well because it's in the mall and on line and everywhere. It's not as interesting to the core customers and it's not driving ancillary customers either. It's not as simple as just stopping selling nike. It's not like shops can just put in other brands in it's place. Those brands that are still existing in the skate market are struggling because they have taken a big hit with nike eroding their market share through all retail channels. They also can't keep up with Nike's marketing and "innovation", legit or not. So if I were to just put a bunch of other brands on the wall I would sit on them. People just don't care about Lakai or Fallen or Emerica for that matter.

So, the over all market strategy for nike isn't just to blow up the SB brand, it's to first grab market share, then squeeze out the endemic brands. Then, squeeze out the skate shops that helped them build the brand, and channel everything to their volume accounts and then ultimately grab the Lion share of the sales though their website. Direct to consumer is what they see as the future. It doesn't matter what type of shoes they are selling or who they are selling them to. They just want to move all the dollars to their pocket.
That is the endgame because Nike benefits the most from it.

The old saying "try not to forget the little people" won't even apply if Nike has their way because the proverbial "little people" will be tossed into a ditch and buried.  The swoosh sells itself.  Nike as a whole is as in demand as it's ever been.  They're going to strike while the iron is hot and continue to squeeze every red cent out of the consumers.  B-grade Jordans are basically selling for the same price that A-grade pairs retail for.  Nike is going to continue to do whatever they see fit.  Business is booming, and it will continue to boom because once the new age Pokemon card shoe collectors get bored with this hobby, there will be millions lined up ready to replace them. 

Great points everyone. I see where everyone coming from. very informative. we all will have to wait and see.

Thanks for the Send Help Info 00.

Weighing in on the recent conversation.

Nike is giving the shaft to the mom and pop joints. Not just skate shops but any small shop that carries nike shoes. From their new store layout requirements for high tier accounts to the outrageous apparel requirements. From a consumer standpoint, it provides more accessibility. But overall it just sucks. A lot of us have gotten to know our locals. Some of mine I've gotten to know very well personally and are good people. 10 years ago, skate hardware was the main thing in skate shops. Now Nike shoes and certain apparel brands are the anchors for most of them. And Nike hands out these 'Nike Ambassador' badges like everything is all good, but now they turn around and expand the crap out of the nike SB line to mall stores in the area. It's no wonder smaller skate shops are getting burned the eff out.

I feel like Nike SB has been the last, truly 'consistent' division in terms of quality. Lots of good innovative combos of materials and colorways. The materials for the most part are good, they stand up well, and the quality of the builds are good. But take a stroll through any sportswear or urban account store and just look at all the crease monsters lining the shelves. I won't even getting started on Jordan Brand.... We usually don't have anything like that with Nike SB shoes. For the most part, the folks in this thread would disagree about a colorway preference 90% of the time before a quality complaint shows up.

TLDR; I didn't think it was too bad that SB's were showing up at Niketowns, but even further expansion to other big chains just doesn't seem good to me in the long run. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Wouldn't they just send the generic SB shoes/apparel to the malls and the more hyped up/colabs and colorways to the mom/pop indies. But who knows, Nike all about that bread and not so much on building/keeping relationship's with the little man that help build the SB brand.

Thanks for the Send Help Info 00.

Weighing in on the recent conversation.

Nike is giving the shaft to the mom and pop joints. Not just skate shops but any small shop that carries nike shoes. From their new store layout requirements for high tier accounts to the outrageous apparel requirements. From a consumer standpoint, it provides more accessibility. But overall it just sucks. A lot of us have gotten to know our locals. Some of mine I've gotten to know very well personally and are good people. 10 years ago, skate hardware was the main thing in skate shops. Now Nike shoes and certain apparel brands are the anchors for most of them. And Nike hands out these 'Nike Ambassador' badges like everything is all good, but now they turn around and expand the crap out of the nike SB line to mall stores in the area. It's no wonder smaller skate shops are getting burned the eff out.

I feel like Nike SB has been the last, truly 'consistent' division in terms of quality. Lots of good innovative combos of materials and colorways. The materials for the most part are good, they stand up well, and the quality of the builds are good. But take a stroll through any sportswear or urban account store and just look at all the crease monsters lining the shelves. I won't even getting started on Jordan Brand.... We usually don't have anything like that with Nike SB shoes. For the most part, the folks in this thread would disagree about a colorway preference 90% of the time before a quality complaint shows up.

TLDR; I didn't think it was too bad that SB's were showing up at Niketowns, but even further expansion to other big chains just doesn't seem good to me in the long run. Just my 2 cents.
having worked in a sneaker store (sportswear, not skate) over 15 years, it's kinda sad nowadays the way people shop. product knowledge was a huge thing in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s... now people come in asking for "___ that ____ wore in that video/award show/performance" or "____ saw in that commercial" or the ever painful "whats the new retros??"   and everyone is looking for the same thing. throwing down $200 or more on a pair and beating them up like a pair of chucks.

now, that sportswear beast has a firm grasp on SB.  this could be the new cash cow to appease shareholders.
Wouldn't they just send the generic SB shoes/apparel to the malls and the more hyped up/colabs and colorways to the mom/pop indies. But who knows, Nike all about that bread and not so much on building/keeping relationship's with the little man that help build the SB brand.

Last edited:
I personally think this will Weaken the SB brand in the long run, and Nike will HAVE to go back to the mom and pop/skater route, just like they did a few years back. As far as SB's are concerned, I think alot of people will be less inclined to wear sb's the more widely available they are.

Repped togusa for that sweet photo. Repped 00 multiple times for obvious reasons.

Verticalurge.com today should have the Send Help 2s available for online purchase in the afternoon, saw it on their twitter.

I personally think this will Weaken the SB brand in the long run, and Nike will HAVE to go back to the mom and pop/skater route, just like they did a few years back. As far as SB's are concerned, I think alot of people will be less inclined to wear sb's the more widely available they are.
the fear is that the mom and pop shops won't be there later in the long run to even fall back on.

Back
Top Bottom