2024 NIKE SB DUNK THREAD_____GRs and QSs added

Are these considered historic shoes? :lol:
E0C3B7E1-EEAB-4990-8491-AB1675CE37FE.jpeg
1A3E1464-2D55-44D9-A2DA-8118369C7402.jpeg
7E8A062C-E55D-4C18-B8B8-E39236A47E27.jpeg

59A211B8-7BAB-4CBE-A7EF-B124A29DEA9D.jpeg

Speaking of, just dug these out from deep in the closet

Hate that Warren Lotas has ANY tie to sneaker culture,
As a hobby customizer i feel he has defamed the ART OF customs/bespokes into straight up fakes/fugazzis base mentality it sucks.
At the least the MENTHOLS and CONSOLIDATED BS were one colorway only

Last edited:
I dunno b. I buy sneakers because I like how they look and/or feel (comfort). They are not historical objects to me. That's some crazy hypebeastery IMO. When I look at Warren Lotas's shoes, apparel and "designs", I see unappealing and unoriginal looking gear, then I see the flock of sheep behind him. Maybe you're right though, maybe $600 is a good price for a piece of history now and you can off them to another one of his sheep in a few years for even more.
i mean, we ARE buying shoes that originally released in the 80s/90's etc and other retros. I think to a degree the history matters. If it was all about colorways a lot more models would get traction. Nostalgia will never be too far removed from sneaker culture. Not saying because i think this way that means you do or have to. I would just be pretty surprised if history/nostalgia had no impact on your/our relationship to sneakers.

i mean, we ARE buying shoes that originally released in the 80s/90's etc and other retros. I think to a degree the history matters. If it was all about colorways a lot more models would get traction. Nostalgia will never be too far removed from sneaker culture. Not saying because i think this way that means you do or have to. I would just be pretty surprised if history/nostalgia had no impact on your/our relationship to sneakers.
You are right, most of the silhouettes I currently own were designed in the 1980s and 1990s. I recognize that they are classics and timeless staples but I truly don't factor that into my purchasing decision in the sense that OP did when he said he was thinking about buying something because of its (alleged) historical significance. OP's point was specifically to say that the Warren Lotas shoes were a part of a moment in "sneaker history" and that is why he was considering purchasing them. I do not do that. Like I said, I buy sneakers because I like how they look and/or feel (comfort). Sometimes I'll cop an OG instead of a retro, like when I sold my 2019 viotechs to fund 02s, but that is because the quality/comfort is far superior.

F Fadakar actually made a good point with his chocolate milk story. Dude loved chocolate milk but the social status dunks don't remind him at all of chocolate milk. So why would he, a chocolate milk fan, buy something that's not good and not representative of the thing that he likes? The story and history don't mean **** if the product is wack.

You are right, most of the silhouettes I currently own were designed in the 1980s and 1990s. I recognize that they are classics and timeless staples but I truly don't factor that into my purchasing decision in the sense that OP did when he said he was thinking about buying something because of its (alleged) historical significance. OP's point was specifically to say that the Warren Lotas shoes were a part of a moment in "sneaker history" and that is why he was considering purchasing them. I do not do that. Like I said, I buy sneakers because I like how they look and/or feel (comfort). Sometimes I'll cop an OG instead of a retro, like when I sold my 2019 viotechs to fund 02s, but that is because the quality/comfort is far superior.

F Fadakar actually made a good point with his chocolate milk story. Dude loved chocolate milk but the social status dunks don't remind him at all of chocolate milk. So why would he, a chocolate milk fan, buy something that's not good and not representative of the thing that he likes? The story and history don't mean **** if the product is wack.
that makes sense. i guess there's a difference between buying a shoe to have a piece of history and buying a shoes because of it's historical significance. That being said, i agree with your sentiment 100%. Buying to have a piece of history is a collectors mentality which i've been trying to distance myself from. cop to rock. Nothing wrong with collecting but, i personally don't like having a ton of kicks that i know i will never wear or hardly wear. I also don't like keeping kicks simply because i like the idea of owning it. If it won't hit concrete within a reasonable amount of time i have to let them go. So i definitely wouldn't buy a sneaker to have a piece of history. To his point though, i think we will remember this era with all the fake shenanigans. Which is apart of the history. albeit a part i don't care to own a piece of.

Yeah as far as history, doesn't mean much to me cause I got into sneakers in the yeezy era so I just buy what I like. For me comfort and aesthetics come first, then quality, and the story should be the cherry on top but after those chocolate milks that's the first time I've had the inspo actually detract from the colorway. Now I know if it's something I care about it can help the shoe as much as hurt it. Like for another example, I loved those AMM 3s already but after hearing the story they meant so much more, instantly elevated them to the top of my collection. Only shoe I absolutely had to have once I started collecting were the DeLorean dunks cause those were my first L, which goes back to nostalgia.

I think a lot of retroes have meaning not necessarily because of their history but because we all collectively made memories of or with them at the same time. We don't really live in an time where society experiences **** at the same time anymore (unless it's a natural disaster or pandemic |l), there are way too many subgroups doing their own thing now so I think history is going to be even less important going forward unless it's something like a milestone for a brand with a collaboration or something.

Yeah as far as history, doesn't mean much to me cause I got into sneakers in the yeezy era so I just buy what I like. For me comfort and aesthetics come first, then quality, and the story should be the cherry on top but after those chocolate milks that's the first time I've had the inspo actually detract from the colorway. Now I know if it's something I care about it can help the shoe as much as hurt it. Like for another example, I loved those AMM 3s already but after hearing the story they meant so much more, instantly elevated them to the top of my collection. Only shoe I absolutely had to have once I started collecting were the DeLorean dunks cause those were my first L, which goes back to nostalgia.

I think a lot of retroes have meaning not necessarily because of their history but because we all collectively made memories of or with them at the same time. We don't really live in an time where society experiences **** at the same time anymore (unless it's a natural disaster or pandemic |l), there are way too many subgroups doing their own thing now so I think history is going to be even less important going forward unless it's something like a milestone for a brand with a collaboration or something.
Good point. we definitely don't have that many shared experiences anymore, even in a niche community like sneaker culture. It's even divided up into so many subgroups that all you have to go on is your personal experiences. I remember seeing MJ in the 11's and Last Shot 14's. I remember where I was and I remember talking about later that summer because we were all like, "what sneakers are those?". I remember my homie having Penny Hardaway posters in his room with Penny 1's on. Short story long, even if "history" means something, it means different things to different people because we don't have shared experiences like we used to. I wouldn't trade positions ever but sometimes i wish i could see sneakers (alot of things) through the eyes of some one younger than me.

Anyone wanna do some TL;DR to the recent posts?

Cmon yall:sick::lol::smh:
this nike talk not twitter 🤣. I got into Nike talk late (didn't have no nikes to talk about lol) but, many a night i'd be looking over my cousins shoulder back in the day when he was on NT chopping it up. Not saying everyone post was novel long but, they got into it. I love sneakers and i love hearing everyone's perspective on sneakers. even the perspectives i don't agree with. If NT was only "this is what i copped, this is what's dropping, thats dope/that's trash" i probably wouldn't tune in

Good point. we definitely don't have that many shared experiences anymore, even in a niche community like sneaker culture. It's even divided up into so many subgroups that all you have to go on is your personal experiences. I remember seeing MJ in the 11's and Last Shot 14's. I remember where I was and I remember talking about later that summer because we were all like, "what sneakers are those?". I remember my homie having Penny Hardaway posters in his room with Penny 1's on. Short story long, even if "history" means something, it means different things to different people because we don't have shared experiences like we used to. I wouldn't trade positions ever but sometimes i wish i could see sneakers (alot of things) through the eyes of some one younger than me.
Unfortunately many of them just see $$$. Not all though.

Back
Top Bottom