2025 NBA Draft Thread

On this.. Think he should be somewhere between KAT and ayton if anything. Don’t see him being a KP or Rudy

Might take some time. Kat was being guarded by harden
I just don't think he's as talented as either of those guys offensively. Both of them have better face up games and are more physically imposing than Mobley.

I just don't think he's as talented as either of those guys offensively. Both of them have better face up games and are more physically imposing than Mobley.
I’m higher on his offensive potential than that. I think he has more potential facing than ayton did /does

Interesting. He’s not the shooter Ayton was as a prospect, but he could definitely improve.
He isn’t?

12-40 for Mobley from 3 and 12-35 for ayton
134-193 ft for Mobley and 140-191 for ayton

Mobley looks very comfortable catch and shoot as well as face and shoot. Tape of him attacking close outs too. Solid mechanics that should even improve

He’s lighter on his feet and more dexterity imo.

His rise been crazy. I’ve been watching son grind out tape and put up videos for years. That **** paying off for sure. He’s doing draft **** for locked on podcasts now that’s a hella good look.. He put in all that work and it’s for sure going to pay off. Shoutout to him.

Yea I didn’t know he was taking trips overseas to watch the international games either. He’s definitely putting in the work.

pmatic pmatic would you mind posting the story,, brother man? Thank you for all the awesome articles :nthat:

Zach Harper’s NBA Mock Draft 2.0: Jalen Green moves up, plus other top-10 shake-ups and trade deals to ponder

We are less than three weeks away from the NBA Draft, and workouts are starting to trickle in for teams almost as much as trade and draft rumors. We’ll be updating this mock with the latest theories on who will be taken in which spots, and whatever rumors/trades are popping up either as signs of things to come or distractions to galvanize the rumor mill into some reactionary trade discussions.

Here is my Mock Draft 2.0.

Why am I doing mock drafts? This is what I said last week.

One of my favorite days of the NBA calendar is the NBA Draft. I’ve always enjoyed the spectacle. I love the flurry of moves. The moments of players realizing their lifelong dreams and becoming the elite in their field always gives me the feels. I also just love what it means for the league’s calendar. It’s the official start to the next season, as we’re about to clear the way for the offseason moves, training camp, preseason and then the next march toward the Larry O’Brien trophy.

Long before I joined this business in 2009, I was always poring over mocks and potential trades for the upcoming NBA Draft. I would even sit down and write out my own mock drafts on a legal pad. The scouting and projecting aspects of the draft do it for me. It’s a big reason why I wanted to join in on the mock drafting on The Athletic. Sam Vecenie and John Hollinger do a phenomenal job leading our draft coverage. Vecenie is a machine. I can tell you from personal experience that I can mention a random 10th man on a Summer League roster who has no chance of making the NBA, and Sam will have a full breakdown for me in the flow of the conversation. Hollinger is a mental database for all these players and drafts of the past. They boggle my mind on their level of retention on all these guys and the process.

What do I want to bring to this? My mock draft is here to add another voice, albeit a smaller one, to the proceedings. I’ve done deep dives on these guys throughout the past couple of months. I’ve studied the team needs and the makeup of the franchises moving forward. I’ve talked to scouts and front office people about the direction of these picks. So I want to bring in where I think teams should or would go with each selection, and whether or not a trade might be something we see.

In essence, I’m not trying to be the Chris Bosh to the LeBron James/Dwyane Wade of the Vecenie/Hollinger draft coverage. I’m good at being Mario Chalmers. A lot of irrational confidence. A voice that is louder than it should be. Constantly being yelled at by the bigger teammates because of something I did or said. Ultimately, I love the draft and the fun it brings. So let’s have fun in this mock draft space.

1. Detroit Pistons – Cade Cunningham, G/F, Oklahoma State, 19 years old
No change here from the previous mock.

Previous analysis: The Pistons are going to take Cade Cunningham. We can get into the thought exercises of whether or not it’s fine to consider someone else like USC big man Evan Mobley or guards Jalen Green or Jalen Suggs. Go ahead and give them all a look. They’re good players and really intriguing prospects. But let me ask you a question: Did you happen to see if any of those guys were Cade Cunningham? No, they’re not?

Then go with Cunningham. He’s 6-foot-8 with a 7-foot wingspan. He can create out of the pick-and-roll for everybody. He’s a fantastic catch-and-shoot guy, whether he’s defended or wide open. He can make every play imaginable. Compare him to Luka Doncic. Compare him to Grant Hill. Cunningham has the build and the potential for either. Maybe he’ll struggle to defend smaller guys, but he’s the top prospect and the only pick for Detroit.

Is a trade possible? It would take an unreasonable offer to get Troy Weaver to trade out of taking Cunningham. But hey, for the hell of it, James Edwards and many of our other beat writers went through eight potential deals!

2. Houston Rockets – Jalen Green, G, G League, 19 years old
Previous pick: Jalen Suggs
We’ve swapped out one Jalen for another, with Jalen Green being the pick at No. 2 this week. The reason? We’ve got a lot of smokescreens coming out of Houston at the moment.

Right now, it sounds like Green, Jalen Suggs and Mobley are all in the mix at No. 2. Mobley would likely be third in the hierarchy of likelihoods with a trepidation pairing him next to Christian Wood. Green slots in here at No. 2 this week because there are a lot of people who believe he’s the second-best prospect in the draft. And he might be. Green projects as a high-level scorer, and he has a star quality about him.

Green might be the best way to make the fan base forget this team is in rebuilding mode. He’s incredibly athletic and uber-exciting, and he’s going to put on a show plenty of nights. We could easily see a rookie campaign like we just saw in Minnesota with Anthony Edwards. Some scouts and executives love the moxie of Green throwing up a blazing middle finger to the NCAA and forging a path through the G League instead. Here’s where it gets interesting and the smokescreens really come out.

According to league sources, it’s believed the Rockets have been fixated on Cunningham but don’t believe in offering up to Detroit what it would take to move into the top spot. That leaves them just deciding to pick the next best player at No. 2, right? Not necessarily. Houston could look to trade out of No. 2 in exchange for a more definite young star, i.e. someone already in the league. But league sources also have echoed sentiments that Houston could throw a lot of stuff out into the ether and see if it spurs any kind of rush toward offering the Rockets unbalanced trades in Houston’s favor. Confusion is the name of the game right now.

Is a trade possible? As mentioned above, there are a lot of smokescreens. A trade is believed to be a solid possibility, but I still think the Rockets just take their best prospect at No. 2.

3. Cleveland Cavaliers – Evan Mobley, C, USC, 20 years old
No change here, either.

Previous analysis: Evan Mobley as the guy for the Cleveland Cavaliers at No. 3 feels like a no-brainer. He’s going to be a really nice prospect to develop because of his versatility. Jarrett Allen’s presence on the Cavs makes the fit a little awkward, assuming they re-sign him in restricted free agency this summer, but the hope is that both guys can play a mix of perimeter ball and also hang around the basket. We’ve seen Allen flirt with a 3-point shot in the past. Mobley will likely need some significant development with his shooting to feel comfortable there.

The Cavs can also re-sign Allen and go with a rotation of him and Mobley for a couple of years until it’s obvious that Mobley needs to be the full-time guy. While his shooting is still a work in progress, the potential is obvious. He can hit little pop jumpers out of a pick situation, and eventually, that comfort should extend to 3-point range. Mobley’s going to be a monster in the pick-and-roll, both scoring around the hoop and making plays for others. Defensively, he’s going to be a difference-maker and maybe the rare rookie who is good right away at it. Mobley is a franchise big man in the making.

Is a trade possible? The Cavs do seem open to adding a piece that’s going to help them win now. Maybe that involves trading Collin Sexton or another young piece already on the roster to acquire a veteran who can get this team back into the playoff mix, but most likely, a trade would have to do with moving this pick. Koby Altman is aggressive, but I think they stick at No. 3.

4. Toronto Raptors – Jalen Suggs, G, Gonzaga, 20 years old
Previous pick: Jalen Green
Green going higher in this mock leaves Jalen Suggs as the best player available at this point. He would also be a great pick for the Raptors to end up with after receiving some lottery magic in their favor. Suggs is a natural leader on the court, and there isn’t a lot he can’t do well. His feel for the game is tremendous, and I would expect him to have a positive impact on a team right away.

Suggs to the Raptors gives them a lot of flexibility. The pressure to bring back Kyle Lowry in free agency is no longer there. With your next backcourt including Suggs and Fred VanVleet, it might make more sense for the Raptors to work out a sign-and-trade with Lowry and try to bring back some picks or a trade exception to use later. Maybe you get a nice role player in the mix? You can move forward with a core of Suggs, VanVleet, Pascal Siakam, Chris Boucher and OG Anunoby. A healthy, calmer season for the Raptors should see that core back in the playoffs, and it gives them their lead guard for the next 15 years.

Is a trade possible? We’re still waiting to see the status of Masai Ujiri and whether or not he moves on from Toronto. The Raptors are where this draft gets interesting. If they decide to blow it up, trade Siakam and try to get even younger, they could really make a huge splash here. Or they could move this pick for veteran help that vaults them into the playoffs. Most likely, they keep the pick and take the best player available.

5. Orlando Magic – Scottie Barnes, F, Florida State, 19 years old
Previous pick: Jonathan Kuminga
While Jonathan Kuminga showed well in pre-draft workouts, there are growing concerns among some scouts and executives that the shot isn’t much better than the concerns held against him for the last year or so. He shot less than 40 percent from the field and less than 25 percent from 3-point range in his time in the G League last season. He’s only 18 years old, so it’s not a huge deal, but it may be enough between rolling the dice with him and rolling the dice with Scottie Barnes out of Florida State.

We’ll probably see a lot of flip-flopping between these two guys here at No. 5 throughout the rest of the way unless someone gets one of those secret promises. Kuminga is a great idea as a prospect, but we know Barnes is going to be, at worst, a great defender. Throwing that frame with a 7-foot-2 wingspan next to Jonathan Isaac at the forward positions means scoring against you is going to be a pain. The Magic aren’t trying to win now, so they can be more patient with Barnes and any scoring progress he may carve out. Right now, I think Barnes is the pick, but again, I expect this to change often.

Is a trade possible? The Magic should be locked in with the fifth pick, although there’s always the chance they want to get someone like Suggs or Mobley. If that’s the case, would Cleveland be willing to move down for No. 5 and No. 8 as the initial framework of a deal?

6. Oklahoma City Thunder – Jonathan Kuminga, G/F, G-League Ignite, 18 years old
Previous pick: Scottie Barnes
Jonathan Kuminga falling to the Thunder here isn’t the worst thing in the world, especially not for him. While Orlando is committing to the rebuild, finally, the Thunder have been dead-set on player development for a couple of years now in a post-Russell Westbrook world. We saw an extreme example of that last season when they sent Al Horford home and made sure the young guys got as much time on the court as possible. As things get back to normal and we get more practice time for teams, the development program of the Thunder should be even more effective.

That’s why Kuminga to the Thunder might be the best-case scenario for him as a prospect. There won’t be pressure to show results now. The Thunder know this will be a true rebuilding process, which is why they have dozens of picks ahead of them in the next few drafts. Kuminga, as a prospect, could be pretty special. Having him next to Shai Gilgeous-Alexander means he never has the pressure of becoming the top offensive option. Maybe we see more of a progression as we saw with Siakam in Toronto. I love Kuminga landing here.

Is a trade possible? It’s the Thunder. They have three first-round picks and three second-round picks in this draft. Sam Presti is always looking to make a trade.

7. Golden State Warriors (via Minnesota) – Keon Johnson, G, Tennessee, 19 years old
Previous pick: Josh Giddey
The more I think about what could benefit the Warriors the most in this draft, the more I just think about how much they could use competent wing players. Getting Klay Thompson back on the floor for the first time in two-plus years will be the biggest addition to this team. We saw just how meaningful it was last season when Andrew Wiggins would have a good game or Kelly Oubre was making shots. The Warriors need good, athletic wings next to their stars to truly play the style of basketball that makes them the most successful.

It’s why I like Keon Johnson here. He’s the craziest leaper in the draft, and he has phenomenal speed control and body control when attacking. He’s maybe 6-foot-5, so it would be nice if he was a little taller, but he makes up for it a little with a wingspan just over 6-foot-7. I think he can easily refine that jumper to be effective when all that gravity is going toward the Splash Brothers. If the Warriors walk away with two good wings, it’s a huge draft for them.

Is a trade possible? I still think we have to be aware of the Warriors’ aggressive approach to finding more stars. With No. 7, No. 14 and even James Wiseman, they have a great trade package to throw at someone if they believe they can grab another star next to their champions. I’m not convinced the Warriors keep these picks.

8. Orlando Magic (via Chicago) – Davion Mitchell, G, Baylor, 22 years old
Previous pick: Keon Johnson
With Johnson off the board here, I think the Magic go for Davion Mitchell. People disagree quite a bit on where he should land in the lottery. He’s not a very big guard, and some fans may look at a team with Markelle Fultz, R.J. Hampton and Cole Anthony and wonder why the Magic would go with Mitchell here. At 22 years old, he won’t be a typical rookie trying to figure out how to play basketball at a high level. He has a lot of maturity to his game, and if you buy the leap in 3-point shooting last season, then it’s hard not to love his approach on offense.

The Magic will likely play a lot of different combinations at guard over the next couple of years to figure out what they have. They’re going to need someone at the position to actually make shots, and Mitchell can do that. The biggest concern comes defensively (because of his size) and buying the shooting (he’s a bad free-throw shooter). He’s still a good, intelligent defensive player, and his jumper looks good, but it’s tough to pinpoint where he might end up.

Is a trade possible? As I stated with Orlando before, the possibility of packaging this with the fifth selection could be significant in trying to move up. There’s also the chance they can move down from this pick with a team that has its eye on a top-10 guy.

9. Sacramento Kings – Kai Jones, C, Texas, 20 years old
No change here. I’m still very high on Jones and think he’s a perfect fit here.

Previous analysis: This is probably too high for Jones, and he’s more likely to be somewhere near the end of the lottery, but I think he’s exactly what the Sacramento Kings need. He’s top 10 on my big board, and he fills a position the Kings have struggled to fill consistently, all the way back to selecting Willie Cauley-Stein in 2015. Jones can anchor a good defensive unit for extended stretches. He’s basically Bam Adebayo in terms of his versatility and effectiveness on that end.

Offensively, he’s a guy who should be able to stretch the floor some and wreck the rim when he’s around it. He was surprisingly bad as a pick-and-roll big man this past season, turning the ball over a lot. Jones doesn’t have the best hands, so that’s where a lot of the fumbles happen for him. When he has the ball, he has the ability to drive right to the basket, but there isn’t an array of moves from him. It will be a lot of attacking a closeout defender. With Richaun Holmes hitting free agency, the Kings need a new big man.

Is a trade possible? The Kings really need to keep trying to add significant players to the mix, and they can still grab one at No. 9. Maybe packaging this pick and Buddy Hield can grab them someone to help end that playoff drought, but it’s doubtful.

10. New Orleans Pelicans – Josh Giddey, G/F, Australia, 18 years old
Previous pick: Davion Mitchell
The Pelicans grabbing Josh Giddey here could signal two things. First, the pick is on the move. Giddey has a lot of people intrigued despite his inability to shoot the ball because he’s a tall wing who can really make plays for others. If you’re looking to move into the top 10, you can do a lot worse than grabbing a “project” like Giddey and seeing if you can turn him into a guy who initiates the offense and also is eventually capable of knocking down shots as part of a scoring barrage.

The second thing this could signal is the Pelicans keep the pick and believe Giddey can help solve some of their playmaking stagnation. Lonzo Ball will be a restricted free agent, and while it’s reasonable to expect he returns, he’s not picking teams apart with his passing in the half court. A lot of his strength passing comes from getting the ball up the floor for quick strikes. We saw the Pelicans unlock a little something with Zion Williamson getting more playmaking trust toward the end of the season, and a player like Giddey could work really well with that.

Is a trade possible? The Pelicans already have so many young guys, and people around the NBA are expecting them to move this pick for some veteran help, according to league sources. How significant of a player the 10th pick in this draft would bring back is where the confusion hits for a lot of people prognosticating this stuff. David Griffin is always active with these trades, though.

11. Charlotte Hornets – James Bouknight, G, Connecticut, 20 years old
No change here. I love Bouknight in Charlotte.

Previous analysis: I’m probably higher on Bouknight than most, but I know Sam Vecenie has him high on his big board. I have him high on mine too. I love the idea of him next to LaMelo Ball over the next decade or so. The Hornets have a lot of guard depth, but I’m not sure they should go through another season of Devonte’ Graham shooting under 40 percent from the field. Bouknight has good enough size, and he’s going to really score the ball well. He’ll probably be what they hoped Malik Monk could be all this time.

Ideally, they’d grab a defensive-minded big man here, though I don’t think anybody available is going to fill that void at No. 11. With Bouknight, I believe in his jumper more than I believe the bad numbers from his jumper. He shot just under 30 percent on all jumpers this season. That’s brutal. But I think LaMelo setting him up will eliminate a lot of the noise we see in his misses. With the mindset to just catch and fire, the results should come. Terry Rozier may only be around for one more season too, so there’s room in the rotation fairly soon.

Is a trade possible? Mitch Kupchak was very aggressive in his first draft with the team, but he hasn’t made a big draft-day trade since. They’ve been accumulating good, young talent, and I think the Hornets are unlikely to trade out of this pick.

12. San Antonio Spurs – Jalen Johnson, F, Duke, 19 years old
No change at 12 for the Spurs.

Previous analysis: I’m not buying the 3-point shooting of Johnson off 18 attempts in his truncated freshman season at Duke. I’m especially not buying it when he shot 63.2 percent from deep. What I am buying is him bringing everything else he does on a court to San Antonio, and then the Spurs handing his shooting mechanics over to coach Chip Engelland. That feels like a match made in heaven for both sides. He has good size as a modern forward and is a really good playmaker for that position.

There are things to worry about with Johnson, but I’m not sure how many of them would be exposed in a competent organization. We know the Spurs will approach things the right way on both ends of the floor, and that should limit his limitations. They could end up with a young core that has Lonnie Walker IV, Dejounte Murray and Johnson in the mix. That’s a lot of athleticism and explosiveness. He would be a great eventual replacement for Rudy Gay at forward.

Is a trade possible? While it seems unlikely the Spurs would move their pick, keep an eye on them being active with the trade machine around the draft. The Spurs have to figure out where they want to be as a franchise and what their plan is moving forward. They’re kind of stuck in the middle right now. Murray and Derrick White could both be gettable, according to league sources.

13. Indiana Pacers – Franz Wagner, F, Michigan, 19 years old
I’m sticking with Wagner at No. 13 to the Pacers. Top 10 talent on many boards. Too good for the Pacers to pass up.

Previous analysis: It’s very possible Wagner doesn’t make it out of the top 10. Maybe New Orleans or Sacramento want his ability to play on both ends of the floor. I like the fit with Indiana, though. A lot of people are convinced Wagner will be a good 3-and-D guy at the NBA level. Defensively, he’s great off the ball and fantastic in a team concept, and I think he’ll be able to compete against most perimeter matchups (except the ones that nobody can really guard).

I don’t know about him as a shooter. The numbers haven’t been great in his two years at Michigan. His jumper looks odd too. He shoots a lot from the middle of his chest, and he brings it low every time. I don’t know if it’s quick enough to have that shooting motion with a defender closing hard on him. Wagner will be a good forward to make the extra pass, but that shot will need to prove to be lethal.

Is a trade possible? Kevin Pritchard hasn’t really done draft-day picks with his first-rounders. The only time the Pacers parted with their first-rounder in recent memory was sending it to Milwaukee in the Malcolm Brogdon sign-and-trade. The Pacers are likely to keep this pick.

14. Golden State Warriors – Moses Moody, G/F, Arkansas, 19 years old
Moses Moody to the Warriors at No. 14 is still my favorite late-lottery-pick idea.

Previous analysis: If he’s still around, I love the idea of Moody landing with the Warriors. Moody is such an impressive 3-and-D wing prospect. He’s 6-foot-6 with a 7-foot wingspan. He’s tireless as a defender and makes your life hell when you’re trying to score or even just get open. He’s not as good as Mikal Bridges, but he defends in a very similar manner. He’s physical, he’s quick, and he’s annoying.

On offense, he’s a good shooter. Not a great shooter, but a good shooter. There’s realistic room for improvement. He’s fine when he’s defended on his jumper, he’s OK off the dribble, but he’s lethal when he’s left open. I’d love to see if he can eventually be a guy who attacks closeouts, though for now, the shooting will do.

Is a trade possible? As I mentioned above, I think the Warriors are in a great place to try to move one or both of their picks in a much bigger deal for a veteran. One thing to note here: The Warriors are unlikely to go after a big man in this draft if they keep both picks. They’ll be hoping to grab someone like Bobby Portis in free agency this summer.

15. Washington Wizards – Isaiah Jackson, C, Kentucky, 19 years old
Previous pick: Alperen Sengun
I still like the idea of a big man going to the Wizards. Maybe they’ll opt for Corey Kispert if he’s still available, but I think their need for a big man is there. We don’t know when or how Thomas Bryant will be back from his torn ACL. Robin Lopez is a free agent. And while Daniel Gafford was one of the best pickups at the trade deadline, you need some depth. Isaiah Jackson would be that. Previously, I had Alperen Sengun in this position, but maybe the throwback big man isn’t what the Wizards are looking for.

Jackson can learn a lot from Gafford. Jackson isn’t as strong as Gafford, but they’re both crazy athletes. They both love to jump at everything. At some point, young, athletic big men need to learn when to jump and how to affect the opponent without selling out athletically at the drop of a hat. Jackson could give them some great depth, and then maybe keeping Bryant around post-injury becomes a luxury. Jackson could end up being far more cost-effective for them.

Fred Katz had some other options scouted here for the Wizards, and Jackson wasn’t one of them, but the majority of those players are off the board at No. 15 in this mock.

Is a trade possible? I can’t imagine the Wizards are looking to move their first-round picks, just in case the Bradley Beal situation gets dire at any point. Tommy Sheppard won’t be shortsighted in moving a young player now to get a veteran unless it’s a no-brainer.

16. Oklahoma City Thunder (via Boston) – Corey Kispert, G, Gonzaga, 22 years old
Some believe Corey Kispert will go much higher after a good pre-draft showing. He stays at No. 16 to OKC for now.

Previous analysis: The Thunder are going to need some shooters on the squad at some point, so Kispert makes a lot of sense. Plenty of people like him as a late lottery option, but I think more toward the middle of the first round makes sense. I’m not convinced the defense will be there at the NBA level outside of a team concept. He doesn’t have good athleticism, and he doesn’t have long arms. So there are a lot of limitations, and I’m not certain he’ll be much of a scorer in terms of generating his own shot.

However, he can flat-out shoot the ball. Elite shooter. Elite moving without the ball. The Joe Harris comparisons are pretty apt and not lazy just because he’s a bearded, white shooter. I wouldn’t expect him to do much off the dribble unless it’s one dribble to the side to avoid a closing defender.

Is a trade possible? Sam Presti is always looking to move picks or acquire picks, so yes, I think a trade is possible.

17. Memphis Grizzlies – Chris Duarte, G, Oregon, 24 years old
Chris Duarte at 17 still may seem high to some, but his fit with Memphis would be great.

Previous analysis: The Memphis Grizzlies aren’t a poor shooting team, but they don’t have the profile of a great shooting team. Chris Duarte can help change that. Sure, he’s already 24 years old, and that can be a red flag for draft prospects. You don’t typically want to draft someone who is less than a year from being able to rent a car. Except Duarte is a great shooter and a smart option for the Grizzlies. He had a 60 percent effective field goal percentage on all jump shots last season. It’s a big turnaround from the previous year at Oregon, but his shot mechanics are legit.

The question for him revolves around what else he’ll bring. Can he keep defenses honest in the pick-and-roll with playmaking, or will they know he’s always looking to score? Say he’s able to defend within the team concept. Will he get hunted and cooked in isolation? Regardless, having this guy around to spread the floor and force hesitant decisions by help defenders will make life a lot easier for Ja Morant and company.

Is a trade possible? The Grizzlies have not sped up their timeline once in the last couple of years since they started realizing they’re a competitive team and not tanking. I don’t expect a trade here, unless it’s moving up or down a couple of spots with future second-round picks involved.

18. Oklahoma City Thunder (via Miami) – Usman Garuba, F, Spain, 19 years old
Previous pick: Isaiah Jackson
Big jump here for Usman Garuba, who was previously 23rd to Houston. With Isaiah Jackson off the board and the Thunder already taking a couple of wings, grabbing a big man makes sense here. And of course, it’s another project, so it means the chance for development while keeping the rebuild pace intact. Garuba is one of the best defensive prospects in the draft. He’s somewhere in the 6-foot-9 range, but his wingspan is believed to be around 7-foot-3. He can cover ground, and he can eat up space.

Offensively, he’s going to be super raw, but that’s just fine for the Thunder. They can shuttle him between the big squad and the G League. They can throw him into the program and see what comes out of him in the next two years as he hits legal drinking age and starts showing everything he can do. Maybe some are thinking another Serge Ibaka for the Thunder, but his offensive game is far less refined. Defensively though, he might end up being more versatile.

Is a trade possible? Is Sam Presti still running the team?

19. New York Knicks – Jared Butler, G, Baylor, 20 years old
As long as Jared Butler is cleared with his health, still love him at 19 to the Knicks.

Previous analysis: Feels like a perfect marriage between what Tom Thibodeau would want to coach and what the New York Knicks need for their depth issues. It’s possible they’ll resolve those depth issues in the backcourt with re-signing their own free agents. Derrick Rose, Alec Burks, Elfrid Payton and Reggie Bullock are all free agents. Frank Ntilikina could be a restricted free agent. It’s why I love the idea of bringing Butler into the mix for the Knicks at No. 19. This is all assuming Butler receives a clean bill of health.

Tenacious on-ball defender and he can shoot the ball. That’s exactly what the Knicks want and what they need moving forward. Butler doesn’t have great size for a versatile guard, but he’s good enough defensively to compete against multiple positions. He’s so good in the pick-and-roll, and while he’s not great getting to the hoop, he’s fantastic pulling up for that jumper. Bringing back Rose and having Immanuel Quickley and Butler as your main attacking guards would be fun.

Is a trade possible? Now we get to see just how patient the Thibodeau Knicks are. He wasn’t patient when he was running Minnesota, and we know he and Leon Rose are in lockstep here. The Knicks are a prime candidate to package picks for a veteran.

20. Atlanta Hawks – Ziaire Williams, G/F, Stanford, 19 years old
Previous pick: Tre Mann
I previously had the Atlanta Hawks going with a backup for Trae Young, but more realistically, they probably have a veteran come in and handle those duties, especially with the timeline of the franchise and the core getting an acceleration during this postseason. Instead, I’m pivoting to Ziaire Wiliams out of Stanford with this pick. As we saw when Bogdan Bogdanovic played through a knee injury and they lost De’Andre Hunter due to surgery, the wing position can be pretty fickle in the NBA. I love the idea of the Hawks loading up on another young, talented wing.

The 20th pick might be late for Williams, so this value would be incredible. It wouldn’t shock me if he was taken just outside the lottery by a team like Washington or OKC. He has great size for a wing, and he can really handle the ball. He didn’t shoot the 3-ball well at Stanford, but he’s a good enough free-throw shooter to feel like he’ll figure it out. He’s slight of build, which may hurt his on-ball defense, but he’s fantastic in help.

Is a trade possible? Travis Schlenk has been a master of the draft so far, and adding a cost-effective option to his rotation makes sense here. No need to expect a deal as of right now.

21. New York Knicks (via Dallas) – Jaden Springer, G, Tennessee, 18 years old
Previous pick: Ziaire Williams
With Williams off the board, Jaden Springer makes a ton of sense. The Knicks have so many perimeter spots potentially open due to free agency. I think Springer will really be able to shoot the ball at the NBA level, and he has good evidence to suggest that to be the case. I doubt he’ll be much more of an offensive player than a catch-and-shoot guy, but he’ll make up for that with his defense. He’s the perfect type of wing for Tom Thibodeau if they keep this pick.

Is a trade possible? As I mentioned above at No. 19, a patient Knicks team will use both of these selections. Thibodeau isn’t typically one for patience.

22. Los Angeles Lakers – Sharife Cooper, G, Auburn, 19 years old
No change here for the Lakers at 22.

Previous analysis: Feels like Dennis Schroder is out the door for the Los Angeles Lakers, so they’re going to need some point guard depth eventually. Sharife Cooper could be the guy here, although everybody will be disappointed there was an error listing him at 6-foot-4 instead of 6-foot-1. Still, Cooper is a pretty fun talent at the position. He’s a great passer, and he can score without fear. He’s working on his jumper religiously, but it needs a ton of work.

Is a trade possible? The Lakers are in ‘Win Now’ mode with the clock ticking on LeBron James. I think exploring a trade of this pick and Kyle Kuzma for a helpful veteran is high on their priority list.

23. Houston Rockets (via Portland) – Alperen Sengun, C, Turkey, 19 years old
Previous pick: Usman Garuba
I’m not sure if Alperen Sengun actually makes sense for the Rockets’ long-term vision, but the Turkish League MVP falling to No. 23 when some think he might be a lottery pick feels like the Rockets should roll the dice here. He can really score despite limited athleticism. He looks like he’ll be able to shoot it. And it’s such a low-risk, high-reward type of value for the Rockets that Sengun has to be one of the back-to-back picks in this scenario.

Is a trade possible? The Rockets could absolutely keep both of these picks in the 20s to fill out the roster and the future with cost-effective options, but they can also try to move up into the teens by sending both of these picks toward someone.

24. Houston Rockets (via Milwaukee) – Trey Murphy, G/F, Virginia, 20 years old
Previous pick: Jeremiah Robinson-Earl
You can’t have too many wings, especially in a rebuilding process. Bringing a real 3-and-D type of prospect to the Rockets here with their third first-round pick makes a ton of sense. Trey Murphy is such a good shooter from deep and the line that it’s a little hard to fathom that he should fall this far. Good workouts could really catapult him up the ranks to maybe even be in that Ziaire Williams range. Wouldn’t shock me if he ended up not making it to the 20s.

Is a trade possible? What he said right above.

25. LA Clippers – Joshua Primo, G, Alabama, 18 years old
Previous pick: Cameron Thomas
Joshua Primo is a little bit of a project here, but the Clippers have rarely looked to the draft as a place to grab players to contribute now. He’s 6-foot-5 with a 6-foot-9 wingspan, and he’ll probably be able to shoot at the NBA level. He’s not much of a playmaker, so unlocking that part of his game when players close out hard on him will be big. Also figuring out what he can defend in the NBA. But mostly, he just needs to do some physical maturing before we start answering those questions.

Is a trade possible? A lot will depend on what they think happens with the Kawhi Leonard player option/free-agency scenario this summer. If they get the sense Leonard may hit the road, there’s no need to move this pick in hopes of acquiring someone to help them out.

26. Denver Nuggets – Tre Mann, G, Florida, 20 years old
Previous pick: Jaden Springer
Jamal Murray… we don’t know when he’ll be back. We don’t even know if we can definitely expect him to return next season. The Nuggets need some depth in the backcourt, which proved to be a problem for them in the postseason. You probably don’t want to play the 26th pick right away if you’re hoping to be a title contender, but if it comes to it, I think you can trust Tre Mann to knock down shots. He could probably compete at running a second unit pretty early into his rookie season, but defense will be an issue.

Is a trade possible? Tim Connelly is always pretty aggressive in improving the team, but they’ve been so good with the draft that I expect them to add another good young player to the mix.

27. Brooklyn Nets – Kessler Edwards, G/F, Pepperdine, 20 years old
No change here at No. 27 for the Nets, but I also wonder if they’ll keep the pick.

Previous analysis: I love Kessler Edwards, and I think he could immediately be in the rotation for the Brooklyn Nets. All three years of his time at Pepperdine had him as a growing offensive weapon. His shot is pure. He can score at an elite level in transition. Edwards can take guys down into the post. He operates well in the pick-and-roll. He also has a good wingspan and great height, and his ability to defend in the team concept should work at the NBA level.

Is a trade possible? I don’t really expect the Nets to have a rookie on the roster and in the mix when they’re trying to win titles now, but anything is possible.

28. Philadelphia 76ers – Ayo Dosunmu, G, Illinois, 21 years old
No change here, although I think we could see Ayo Dosunmu fly up the draft ranks in the next week or so.

Previous analysis: Tough to know which way the Philadelphia 76ers may go, but getting more options in the backcourt seems to be the safest bet. I’d love Dosunmu here. His shot was all over the place in his time at Illinois, but he comes off a very encouraging season, hitting nearly 40 percent from deep. Dosunmu can score, and he’s a very good defender with a great wingspan. I’m not sure you’d want him as a full-time point guard, but he’ll really work next to Shake Milton off the bench.

Is a trade possible? Daryl Morey loves to trade, but he also loves cost-effective assets. The contract of the 28th pick is about as cost-effective as it gets.

29. Phoenix Suns – Nah’Shon Hyland, G, VCU, 20 years old
Previous pick: Greg Brown
Nah’Shon Hyland looks like a pretty fun prospect, especially when you factor in that “Bones” is his nickname. Bones Hyland doesn’t just sound like the villain in a Nicolas Cage movie. He’s a bucket-getter and showed immense improvement from his freshman to sophomore year at VCU. Hyland looks to be a good shooter and had success from deep both seasons, although his efficiency fell as he got a higher volume of shots. His free-throw shooting dramatically improved to help you feel better about the outside shooting. “Bones” isn’t just the show that airs before the NBA on TNT anymore. It’s now a backup guard for the Suns in this mock.

Is a trade possible? The Phoenix Suns have been stellar lately in the draft, and there’s no reason to expect a trade out of the pick right now.

30. Utah Jazz – Jeremiah Robinson-Earl, F, Villanova, 20 years old
Previous pick: Trey Murphy
The Jazz love players like Jeremiah Robinson-Earl. He’s a forward who should be able to compete at multiple positions. He isn’t a great shooter, but the Jazz believe in their development process. His IQ is through the roof, so he would fit in with what Quin Snyder wants to do. He could go much higher in the first round. Some have him in the second round. We’ll slot him here for now.

Is a trade possible? After the front-office shakeup in Utah, I expect them to keep this pick or maybe try to even move up a little in the first round.

Back
Top Bottom