2025 NBA Draft Thread

Man I love watching Alpern Sengun

but if im being honest with myself, I always overrated high skill, unorthodox players.

I have no doubt he's going to be a pretty effective NBA player, but unless he turns into Jokic
he's probably not going to stay on floor in late round playoff series.

If he was Jokic sized id feel a lot better about making the John Hollinger hail mary #4 prospect ranking.

but he's not,
so hard to see how you can take a guy who could be a rich mans Domatas Sabonis number 4.

You should be heated if the Warriors planned on drafting and keeping ANYONE in this draft that will be available when they pick.

I like a lot of these players, that could help them win by year 2 at least or packaged later. Not that many players available and make sense right now.

Why would Houston do that? Wood is on a steal of a desk and he’s young.
Only under contract for 2 more seasons though. If I'm rebuilding, I'd rather just have more players and assets that will be under team control for longer term.

He's a good player, but that team isn't winning anything in the next 2 seasons.

Only under contract for 2 more seasons though. If I'm rebuilding, I'd rather just have more players and assets that will be under team control for longer term.

He's a good player, but that team isn't winning anything in the next 2 seasons.
I’m just so averse to Wiseman that I probably still wouldn’t want to do it :lol:. 7 in this draft is also not that appealing but I hear you

Why would Houston do that? Wood is on a steal of a desk and he’s young.

what Bsox said. 2 yrs. injury prone. Who knows.

good player don’t get me wrong though. Some people saying he isn’t even worth a lotto pick so for 7 that may be enough much less throw in Wiseman. Jury is still out on Wiseman and I can still see him turning it around - barely any college experience combined with coming into a tough situation at GSW. Bigs take a while.

Pipe dream would be wood, 23, 24 for a top 4 or even 5 pick and I would think the Rockets would jump at that.

I’m just so averse to Wiseman that I probably still wouldn’t want to do it :lol:. 7 in this draft is also not that appealing but I hear you
I just think it's really tough to judge Wiseman too much. Hadn't played a competitive game in a year, draft process in COVID times, no summer league, hardly any practices, and was expected to play a big role on a team trying to win. I didn't love him as a prospect, but I think you have to give him some time. He's huge and shows some flashes of real skill. It's also not like any of the other bigs drafted early in that class did anything either.

Getting to play 30 min a game for a rebuilding team is what he needs. Reps without pressure/expectations. With that 7 pick you can definitely get somebody with some upside, or try to package it with other picks for something else, who knows.

I just think it's really tough to judge Wiseman too much. Hadn't played a competitive game in a year, draft process in COVID times, no summer league, hardly any practices, and was expected to play a big role on a team trying to win. I didn't love him as a prospect, but I think you have to give him some time. He's huge and shows some flashes of real skill. It's also not like any of the other bigs drafted early in that class did anything either.

Getting to play 30 min a game for a rebuilding team is what he needs. Reps without pressure/expectations. With that 7 pick you can definitely get somebody with some upside, or try to package it with other picks for something else, who knows.
I think the biggest worries are he just doesn’t know how to play basketball, doesn’t have a good feel for the game, has an extremely limited offensive bag, and has a longggg way to go defensively too. I just don’t think his ceiling is that high — especially with how the league is trending.

I think the biggest worries are he just doesn’t know how to play basketball, doesn’t have a good feel for the game, has an extremely limited offensive bag, and has a longggg way to go defensively too. I just don’t think his ceiling is that high — especially with how the league is trending.
I completely agree. He's a total mess of skills at this point. He thinks he's a guard. He's fine as a prospect for a young rebuilding team but he never made sense to me for GSW. I get they looked at him as a defensive anchor type but I think they undersold how raw he was overall. He has bricks for hands as well. He's a weird *** player.

He is in a good environment though so maybe they can figure out something with him.

NBA Draft confidential: Coaches, execs debate Scottie Barnes vs. Jonathan Kuminga, top wings and sleepers

A week out from a presidential election, any advance staff worth its salt knows, for the most part, what the electorate in that given cycle will look like. Who’s likeliest to vote, why, where, and how.

A week out from the NBA draft, most of the guys who should never have declared in the first place have pulled out and are arranging to return to college, or their pro teams abroad. And the guys who can move the needle most next Thursday have at least some idea of the two or three teams likeliest to call their names early in the first round. A couple of them top our list of wings that college scouts, team execs and college and pro coaches believe have the best chance to make an immediate impact in the league. The two top wing prospects, for some time now, have been Florida State freshman Scottie Barnes and the G League Ignite’s Jonathan Kuminga. They headline a deep group of very talented players who could provide teams well into the second round with significant value.

A reminder, though: This is not a mock draft.

This is just a cross-section of opinions from people who I’ve come to trust over the decades — people who aren’t in the business of lying. They tell me the truth — sometimes, a cold truth — and I don’t name them. It’s been a fair exchange over the years. They tell me what they like and don’t like about the prospects, if the young men are coachable or not, who they think their games pattern after, and so on. As basketball has evolved, so have the position definitions. There aren’t “ones” or “twos” any more; there are just guards, wings and bigs.

We started with guards a couple of weeks ago, are writing about wings now and will focus on bigs the morning of the draft next Thursday.

Scottie and Jonathan
Barnes is 19; Kuminga, 18. Both have overcome tough circumstances to be where they are now – Barnes’ family had to move several times in his childhood due to hardships; Kuminga, who speaks multiple languages, left his native Congo in 2015 only with his brother to try and make a better life in the States. He quickly became one of the top high schoolers in the country, with blue bloods Duke, Kentucky, Auburn and Texas Tech vying for him. But he chose the G League route. He’s not as assured as Barnes of being a top-six lock, but it’s still more likely than not at this stage.

“To all my African brothers who are chasing their dreams in America, we all know how tough it is to deal with people who are looking out for their own benefit instead of yours,” he wrote in The Players Tribune last year. “People who don’t appreciate or understand the pain and struggles you went through just to get to this point. They don’t know yet of your genius, but they will find out soon. The discrimination, bullying and disrespect we experience isn’t fair, but, my brothers, your only choice is to make your dreams come true and make your motherland proud. Keep pushing, stay patient and keep working hard.”

Camp Barnes
USA Basketball member: Scottie’s got some flaws to him, but the one flaw he doesn’t have is that he is a frickin’ winner. If you want to win … you’re going to draft Scottie Barnes. When he came to us, before his freshman year in high school, I knew then he was going to be something special. He has taken coaching. He has really worked on his shot. He has really worked on his form shooting, just to get better. He’s certainly not a great shooter by any means, but he’s a scorer. He can score. But he didn’t look to score a lot of times. But he knows he can impact the game doing everything else.

College head coach 1 (his team played Florida State last season): He does a lot of things very, very good. He’ll defend. He’ll rebound. He can guard almost anybody. Long arms and an NBA body. Not a shooter. You have to concern yourself on how you’d guard him and how effective he’ll be. He’s not a jump shooter. You’re not going to run him off of screens, maybe spot up once in a while. He’s probably a Ben Simmons right now. Long arms and the ball skills; played multiple positions. I like guys who are really good transporters. A transporter is someone who can put the ball on the floor and go by you… it’s in his hands and out of his hands. He’s going to be good at post feeding, if there’s another good post player in the NBA. I think he’s going to be comfortable after gaining some experience guarding a lot of positions. He’s not going to make it easy on anyone. He guarded a 5-foot-9, 5-foot-10 guy in an AAU game when Scottie was a junior. He asked the coach to guard him in the second half and he did a phenomenal job. The shot is a lot better than it was when he was in the 10th grade.

Western Conference Executive 1: I think Scottie Barnes is a big-timer, man. I don’t care about the shooting or anything; there’s ways around that. There are just guys that grab you. This kid, first of all, he’s got big size. He’s listed at 6-foot-9 but he’s probably 6-foot-8 ½ in sneakers, three-quarters. That’s good enough. His length is big-time. It’s like 7-foot-2 or something, 7-foot-3.

(Editor’s Note: Barnes’ wingspan was measured at 7-foot-2.75 at the Chicago Combine.)

Got huge hands. Defensively, he’s one of the elite guys in the draft. All this switching, that’s no problem at all for him. He gets out in passing lanes; he gets his hands on the ball; he gets the ball back for his team. That’s all great. But his passing, at that size, is really elite. And his vision and his ability in the open court. He’s so long-legged, long striding, they outlet the ball to him off a defensive rebound, well inside his backcourt. Two, maybe at the most three dribbles, he’s way down deep in the lane, and really rolling. And there’s all sorts of things he can do along the way — the pass ahead, scoring himself.

This year, even though his scoring is not at the forefront of his traits, he had one game-winning layup and one game-tying layup … reading about him and watching him, he strikes me as someone who’s upbeat all the time. There’s big energy that’s at play all the time. He’s said this in interviews, and I believe it when I watched him, he really takes joy in other’s success. It’s not just about him – me, my brand, my numbers. They’re up 25 or 30 on Miami and his center (Balsa Koprivica) takes a charge, and Scottie’s going berserk, going down there on the floor and picking him up and hugging him, pumping. When they come off the floor, the walk-ons are gravitating to him, and the managers are coming over and he’s hugging those. That’s huge, man. … Me, personally, and I may have some bias, but I’m taking him over Kuminga.

Eastern Conference Executive 1: Jonathan’s more talented offensively. Scottie gives you something completely different. He could be a backup point guard, he could play some five, he can start, he can come off the bench. He’s an incredible role guy. Kind of like Draymond (Green), a little bit, but bigger and more physical, if that’s even possible. I do worry about his scoring. I worry about his shooting. But by all accounts, an incredible prospect. Unbelievable kid. I think people trust him a little bit more. But very, very close in everybody’s rankings. … Scottie was the fake sixth man (last year); he still played like a starter. They all don’t play more than 30 minutes a game (at Florida State); they’re all at 28. It’s really hard to evaluate. Chicago saw beyond that; they saw the size, the sheer size of Patrick Williams, and his skill set, and disregarded the production. So you have to take that with a grain of salt, because (FSU coach Leonard Hamilton’s) going to have a 10- to 12-man rotation. If Scottie was playing 35 minutes a night, that production would have been far up.

Camp Kuminga
G League Team Executive: He’s super confident, super athletic. Obviously a physical specimen. He’ll shoot the ball better (in the NBA). He has great rotation. The shot’s kind of flat (now). He’s got to get a little arc on it. … He’s getting to the basket a little further away, and all of a sudden he’s dunking that ****. I think he’s a capable defender. I’ve seen him hone in and defend. He’s competitive. I think he’s one of those super confident young guys. Every shot, he thinks he can make the shot.

He started off real well in the bubble, then I think he struggled a little bit. Probably shot selection and all that. It’s identifying the times that he has to make others better, make the extra pass and let others make him better. That’ll come with maturity. But he’s connected. There’s a mentality that everybody doesn’t have when you shoot. You can go 2 of 11 and have supreme confidence that you’ll make the next one. I think he’ll get better ballhandling. He can get to spots. He can take bumps. He can make his own space at times. I think he’ll be capable of posting up. I think his game will expand. He’s definitely capable of rebounding.

Western Conference Executive 1: Kuminga’s got big-time talent. He’s got athleticism and size. When he’s on his game, he’s the best player on the floor. He’s not a shooter, but he gets on rolls. When he wants to defend — and that’s the operative word — he can be pretty good. I don’t see him as a faciliatator at the next level; he’s going to score. Kuminga, today, is more of a scorer (than Barnes). Scottie’s a pass-first guy.

Eastern Conference Executive 1: Where would he have gone in last year’s draft? Last year’s draft had a lot of questions. LaMelo (Ball) played 11 games, and overseas. (James) Wiseman played, what, three games? And Anthony Edwards was awesome, but he really wasn’t great in terms of winning. And with all those questions, Jonathan would have gone top-three last year. He’s rangy, he’s multifaceted, can guard. I think the shooting will come. He has a pretty impressive story as well, coming over from Congo at 13, with his brother. I think he gets help up by the noise around him and the people around him. But if you’re really doing your background on him, he had to navigate being 13 in a country by himself without his parents. A really high-level prospect that a lot of people wanted to get their hands on. I think it’s really impressive that he navigated it. He didn’t have the parents to say ‘hey, back the **** off.’ It was just him and his brother navigating different high schools and different AAU tournaments and all the other ****. I actually see it the other way; I think it’s really impressive.

Eastern Conference Executive 2: Kuminga is equally as raw (as Barnes) but is likely ahead of the curve offensively. Both could be defensive monsters. Switchability on the defensive end is a huge plus.

G League coach: He’s a monster. Physically, the way he can run, the way he can get up in the air, he’s powerful. He’s the one dude who, the day he got there, you could probably put him on an NBA court and he physically could have held his own. When he got to that next level of strength and conditioning…all the veterans on that G League team were running from him. They didn’t know how strong he was. He would make his pivot and move dudes out of the way. He has the mindset. He wants to be in that LeBron, Kobe, Harden conversation. He doesn’t shy away from it at all. He’s willing to fail, and keep working at it, and fail again until he figures it out.

He came here by himself at 13. He has a hell of a story. Think about the kind of people with his gift, in New York, or the east coast, that gravitated toward him. He got the worst of the worst. Those scumbags who were all trying to make a dollar off of him. These high-level AAU kids, 90 percent of them, you have to treat them like abused children because they’ve been preyed on by adults.

After the top two wings, multiple prospects could go in the mid- to late lottery, starting with Michigan sophomore Franz Wagner, the younger brother of Orlando big Mo Wagner; 18-year-old Australian Josh Giddey, who played for Adelaide in Australia’s NBL; Duke freshman Jalen Johnson, whose decision to leave Durham in February, before the end of last season, and prepare for the draft wasn’t universally supported; Gonzaga senior Corey Kispert, who shot 44 percent behind the arc for the national runners-up, and Oregon’s Chris Duarte, whose age as an NBA rookie – 24 – would be optimal in just about any other industry other than professional basketball.

Pro-Wagner
Western Conference Executive 2: He can play. The shooting is something that’s a bit of a struggle, but if you check out his numbers, the closest comparison I’ve made to him is Gordon Hayward. If you were to take a look at Gordon Hayward’s numbers when he was at Butler, his shooting numbers were worse than Wagner’s. That gives you hope that, if Wagner becomes as good a shooter as Hayward has in the pros, Wagner’s a hell of a player.

(Editor’s Note: Hayward shot almost 45 percent on 3s at Butler his freshman season, but dropped to 29 percent as a sophomore. Wagner shot 31 percent on 3s as a freshman at Michigan, but 34 percent as a sophomore.)

College assistant coach 1 (his team played Michigan last season): He is an incredible defender. Incredible. He needs to expand his offensive game a little bit. He’s very unselfish offensively. He looked like he was okay being, like, a third option or fourth option on Michigan’s offense. You can’t be evaluated by averaging 11 or 12 points a game. That’s not what he brought. He just did everything well. Even though (Luka) Garza was the MVP of the league, and he deserved to be, this kid might be the best player in the league, or the best pro potential. They played him at 3 and 4 at Michigan. I think he’s going to have a better pro career than Mo. …Really runs the floor. Overall, he doesn’t have a real weakness if he fine-tunes his shot. If he concentrates on that he’s going to be a hell of a player.

Western Conference Executive 1: I could see a team at like 7, 8, 9 jumping up and taking him. ‘Cause you got a big wing who got better in college. Is a versatile defender. Jack of all trades, but not elite in one – but has no glaring weakness. His shot wasn’t very good as a freshman; it got better this year. But the international guys say he really shot it in Germany when he was growing up, so that will improve. You’ve got a guy at 6-foot-9 or 6-foot-10 that can guard multiple positions, be a secondary ballhandler for you, has no problem taking a defensive rebound and going with it. And can guard multiple positions. He won’t be a defensive stopper, but he’ll be a plus defender.

Giddy About Giddey
Eastern Conference Executive 1: A lot of teams have to kind of take a swing. We couldn’t get into the country (last year). With LaMelo, it was different; it was before the world ended. We had scouts go out and visit and go to games before he shut it down. You’re really going by tape and a few practices (Giddey) had in the States. But he is talented. He knows how to play. He’s got great size and he’s very, very skilled. He has great vision. Physically, he has to get stronger. But when you look at that Australian team, they had eight NBA players. It’s not like he’s not playing against real dudes. He’s playing against real players and some guys that have had some meaningful careers in the NBA, and are still good in the NBA. Seeing him in that atmosphere, he belonged. He’s tall, so he can see some things. He can execute cross-court passes, one hand, both hands, that are really beautiful. You get those one-handed hook passes to the corner. That kind of stuff.

Western Conference Executive 1: It’s not like he was a known commodity for three or four years, with guys making trips year after year to see him. So that really forks in favor of a prospect. Because they don’t have time to pick you apart. …He’s a hell of a passer. …He’s one of the elite passers in this draft. Him and Barnes and Cade Cunningham. Probably the guy that’s the most skilled in terms of passers is (Auburn guard) Sharife Cooper. … (Giddey) just came onboard in the last year. Really passes the ball; got big size in the backcourt. The shot’s coming along. Below average athlete, I’ll be honest, for a guard. And the defense is going to be challenging. But the kid is a big-time worker, consumed by basketball.

For Your Consideration…Another Jalen – Johnson
Western Conference Executive 3:: He’s a talent. But he’s bounced around to different high schools. Left Duke early. All concerns.

Eastern Conference Executive 3: The big thing I would say about it is the football guys don’t get killed for this. Football guys don’t play in bowl games, don’t play in anything, and they still get drafted — people don’t look at them funny. Why are we penalizing this kid for doing what he thinks is right. I don’t really see him as a wing; I see him as a hybrid, which helps his cause. With his size and strength, athleticism, I see wings in the draft. But he might be at the top of the list of versatile forwards. I’d put him and Scottie Barnes in the same category. They can pretty much guard anybody and they’re skilled enough that they can play two through four. The NBA has kind of revolutionized taking a tight end off the football field. Draymond (Green) would be the poster child for that. Now we have (Scottie Barnes) and this kid and all these guys that fit into that category right now. I think the talent is there and the skill level.

Western Conference Executive 4: He’s a short-contract guy. You have to keep him incentivized to keep him on the straight and narrow.

Club Kispert
College assistant coach 2 (his team played Gonzaga): He reminds me of Wally Szczerbiak in college, when Wally was at Miami of Ohio. Same shot, same type of player. Good player. Got better the longer he stayed in college. I don’t know about starter right away, but he’s going to be a good rotation guy because he shoots the ball so well. Catch-and-shoot is really good, but he moves well without the basketball. He played off of (Jalen) Suggs. The better player on that team was (Drew) Timme, who stayed in school. He was the best player. He just doesn’t project to be an NBA guy because he doesn’t have the athleticism. But they had an All-Star team, and they were very efficient, which you don’t see a lot. Not the best defender, but he knows positioning. He knows where to be, what places not to be. Not a lockdown defender by no means, but he has a high enough IQ to kind of cut you off at spots. (Gonzaga) had a fast break like the 1986 Lakers. They were the fastest team in the country. He’s sneaky athletic.

FOD (Fans of Duarte)
Eastern Conference Executive 4: He can do stuff off the dribble now. He’s expanded his game where he can put it on the floor and create a little bit. And he tries to compete at both ends.

College assistant coach 2 (his team played Oregon): Elite feel for the game, very good shooter. If he was a freshman, he would probably be a top five pick. He was arguably our best overall wing/guard (in the conference) the last two years. He has a lot of upside to me. Now, the NBA doesn’t see it because he’s older. But he’s really freaking good. He can shoot the ball. He’s going to be a very good pro ’cause he understands the game. And with him being older, he’s more mature. … Starting, that may be a stretch, ’cause wherever he goes, it’s probably going to have a guy that’s probably more seasoned. But as far as being a rotation guy like how Desmond Bane was used in Memphis, for sure like that. He can shoot the NBA 3 comfortably. He can be a secondary playmaker. He handled a lot of playmaking for the team this year being that he was the best player. He can facilitate and make others better.

College assistant coach 3 (his team also played Oregon): Bucket-getter. Scorer. Polished offensive weapon. Shot is good down the stretch. He was their guy and kept getting better. (Oregon coach Dana) Altman has always done a great job of getting his scorers to develop in decision-making and playmaking. I thought he progressed. I thought he was good as a junior but he took another step last year. Just makes buckets. More outside, catch-and-shoot. Got a little dribble drive, midrange. Getting to the basket is the weaker of the three (levels). But he shoots it so well and he’s got a good midrange – and he’s a good slasher.

Where he progressed as a scorer is, while he still averaged 18 a game, he’s getting other dudes better as well. Athletic wing scorer off the bench that can come in and definitely give you a scoring punch. …When you play for Dana, if you’re a high-scoring dude, you learn how to be efficient. Good athleticism, not great. I thought his game matured playing there. He made strides (in playmaking), but it would only be off of his scoring. He’s coming in to score. His value is scoring. And in the NBA, his highest value would be knocking down the 3 … if you’re a team that needs an immediate contributor, he’s set up to do that. If you’re a team that wanted a guy with more upside, he’s probably not your guy. I don’t think there’s much upside other than the 3 becoming even more consistent.

More Attention-Getters
Their likely positioning is after the lottery and before the end of the first round. But Alabama’s Herb Jones, Stanford’s Ziaire Williams, Virginia’s Trey Murphy, G League Ignite’s Isaiah Todd and Villanova’s Jeremiah Robinson-Earl all have supporters. They also have some work to do.

JT Thor, Auburn

College head coach 2 (his team played Auburn): He is long and athletic. Potential to be a good perimeter ballhandler. He shoots it decently. Not lethal but it’s not broken. He’s way longer in person than on film. Great athlete. Potential to guard one through five. Good offensive rebounder. Doesn’t quite have an elite skill. Good at a lot of stuff, not great. Doesn’t have a great inside game. More perimeter-oriented. Could be more physical. We wanted to take away his offensive rebounding and transition points for sure. Tried to make him a scorer and playmaker. Still raw but has a lot of potential.

College head coach 3 (his team also played Auburn): He was supposed to be in high school last year. He had 26 points (Editor’s Note: 24) against Kentucky as an 18-year-old. He was supposed to be at Norcross High School (in Georgia) last year. He’s a freak. Ridiculous length. Better, more athletic Wenyen Gabriel. All he needs is more size and strength.

Sam Hauser, Virginia

College head coach 1 (his team played Virginia): Interesting. I don’t know. He can make 3s, he’s got good range, good size, he’ll defend a little bit. I don’t think he’s a three and he’s too small to be a four.

Joe Wieskamp, Iowa

College assistant coach 1 (his team played Iowa): His numbers, his measurements at the pre-draft camp were off the charts. (Wieskamp had a 42-inch vertical jump in Chicago) His wingspan (6-foot-11). Much taller (6-foot-7 1/4) than people thought he was. Jumping ability. The kid has always been a very, very good shooter. Had he played on a team that didn’t have (Luka) Garza and (Jordan) Bohannon, who took a lot of shots, he would even have had a much higher scoring average. He plays very well at both ends. He takes pride in his defense. But he’s known as a shooter. Comes off down screens. He’s going to have to learn to run a lot of screen and roll with him dribbling. They pin down for him or drive and kick to him.

Trendon Watford, LSU

College head coach 3 (his team played LSU): I think he’s a ******* winner. The biggest issue is he can’t shoot it consistently. And it’s always been his bugaboo. And it’s just not gone away. He cannot shake that. But he can really play. He can really take it to the basket. Can really finish. Can put it down with either hand. Decent float game. He can pass the ball. He does a great job with his pump fake at drawing fouls. He can play facing or with his back to the basket. I think he’s going to wind up a decent defender at a bunch of positions. He’s got a high IQ. But he’s never believed in that jump shot, or that free throw. But I really like him. I like his toughness, I like his confidence.

College head coach 2 (his team also played LSU): Can do a little bit of everything. Can make shots if you give him space, can drive it if you close out too hard, can post up as well. Underrated passer. Good rebounder especially at the offensive end. Can draw fouls. Plays with a bravado. Not overly athletic. Struggled to just blow by guys. Tried to use brute strength. Shot a lot of floaters. Good at them but should be more aggressive. Not all that interested on the defensive end. Do not foul. Good foul shooter. Make him be a shooter off the bounce. No catch-and-shoot but do not let him get by you. Keep him off the offensive glass. Bother his dribble he will turn it over. Attack him on the other end. They did a good job hiding him defensively this year with the matchup zone.

Isaiah Livers, Michigan

College assistant coach 1 (his team played Michigan): One of the main reasons Michigan didn’t go further and did not win the Big Ten and go further was because they couldn’t overcome his injury. …He’s had multiple injuries in his career. Earlier in his career, he was injured. But the guy’s played even better than I thought he would play. He really turned into a great player for them when he was healthy. He attacks in transition. He’s got very good leaping ability. He can make 3s. Has a great frame to him. Seems like he was okay to coach. It was a big loss for them. I heard he’s back playing now, but just recently.

Romeo Weems, DePaul

College assistant coach 4 (his team played DePaul): He’s a good athlete, but I don’t think he’s like, the guy right now. He needs more seasoning, more college. Just more of a potential guy to follow up on. Good athlete. Good size for the wing spot. Can make a 3 here and there.

Aaron Henry, Michigan State

College assistant coach 1 (his team played Michigan State): By far their best player on a down team. Good midrange. Decent 3-point shooter, but midrange and getting the ball to the rim off the dribble drive was his forte. They got hot late in the year and saved their streak of getting in the tournament. And he carried them. He was by far their best clutch player. I think he had a love-hate relationship with (Tom) Izzo. But he’s a good player. He’s been coached hard, that’s the thing I love about him. And he’s a winner.

D.J. Stewart, Mississippi State

College head coach 3 (his team played Mississippi State): Left and lefter guy. He goes left, and then he goes lefter. He’s got a great float game. Long, athletic. Makes tough shots. Excellent driver. Can put it on the floor with either hand. Does a great job of probing with angles. Have to square him up. Doesn’t play above the rim. He’s an improved catch-and-shoot guy. Can score off of pindowns. A year ago, it was all off the bounce. Last year, he became a better catch-and-stick guy.

Random question, but is Corey Kispert for sure much better than Joe Wieskamp? Both about the same size.

Kispert was 19/5/2 on 53/44 splits. Turns 23 in March.

Wieskamp was 15/7/2 on 49/46 splits. Turns 22 next month.

Didn't watch Iowa as much, but the thing that stood out about Kispert (at least on the college level) was he was a pretty good athlete. Felt like he had a lot of run outs and would body guys. Probably won't happen at the NBA level though.

Didn't watch Iowa as much, but the thing that stood out about Kispert (at least on the college level) was he was a pretty good athlete. Felt like he had a lot of run outs and would body guys. Probably won't happen at the NBA level though.
I think Kispert is definitely stronger. Wieskamp tested pretty good athletically at the combine though. 42 inch vertical with 6'11" wingspan.

Not saying he should be drafted before him or anything like that, but could be very good value for someone in the 2nd round.

Back
Top Bottom