2025 NBA Draft Thread

Is it really that crazy?

Am I missing something with Zaire Williams? :lol:

I'd say he's in the same boat as Jaden McDaniels last year. You're getting drafted based on size/potential...both had forgettable years. Late first round...possibly 2nd sounds about right.

Brandon Boston played himself out of the top 30 right? Did Zaire Williams have a definite better season than he did?

Last edited:
Is it really that crazy?

I'd say he's in the same boat as Jaden McDaniels last year. You're getting drafted based on size/potential...both had forgettable years. Late first round...possibly 2nd sounds about right.

Brandon Boston played himself out of the top 30 right? Did Zaire Williams have a definitely better season than he did?

he legit said the same thing to me when we last face timed. I had a similar feeling about McDaniels too

Everything I’ve read it’s JT Thor and Hyland that have jumped. Quentin Grimes too. They are just a couple of names but I can’t remember reading about an improved draft stock for Williams. Aware me

Hypothetically, would you rather have Corey Kispert or Chris Durarte & Trey Murphy?

Thats a tough one.

I think Murphy is a back up with no starter potential. He’s got a ratchet, goes after boards, moves without the ball well. Can’t play defense (slow lateral movement). Obi replacement for how we’re using him.

Kispert is solid, reminds me of Pacers Doug Mcdermott. Borderline starter potential.

I honestly think Duarte is the only one in this group with full time starter potential. Idk how true the attitude and terrible workout rumors are either.

Is it really that crazy?

Brandon Boston played himself out of the top 30 right? Did Zaire Williams have a definitely better season than he did?
There were a lot of issues for him. You could pick out other deficiencies in prospects before you put him out of the top 30

Hard not to think Cliff Alexander when looking at Duren. 6’8-6’9 centers with no real range don’t translate well to the pro’s. Cliff’s just came when he stepped foot onto campus at KU

If you’re a guy who’s a project and had a mediocre year then sliding is to be expected unless the athletic profile is just that ridiculous.

Remember when we were talking Ayton/Mobley/etc and the risks of taking a big so high but Ayton has a game winner and played well?

Remember when we were talking Ayton/Mobley/etc and the risks of taking a big so high but Ayton has a game winner and played well?
Teams would still pick trae , Luka and maybe even Shai it’s not a slight on Ayton it’s just that guards are so much more valuable

1. Detroit Pistons
Cade Cunningham | 6-foot-8, lead ballhandler | 19 years old, freshman | Oklahoma State
The player: Cunningham is the clear No. 1 player in this draft, a 6-foot-8 primary playmaker who profiles as a dynamic All-NBA mismatch nightmare. If you need him to play the point, he can do that. His time at Montverde Academy showed he is a smart, unselfish passer who can make all of the necessary reads. If you need him to play as a scoring threat, though, he can do that too. Cunningham was the primary scoring option this past season for Oklahoma State, carrying a substandard roster to an extremely impressive season while averaging 20 points per game and shooting over 40 percent from 3. On top of it, he’s a good, multi-positional defender who always knows where he needs to be in help and in switches. Cunningham is the total package, one of the safest players to enter the draft in a while.

The fit: Cunningham remains the overwhelming favorite to be the first overall pick to the Detroit Pistons. The Pistons have done a great job of building out young role players throughout the last year, particularly Saddiq Bey, Isaiah Stewart and Killian Hayes. Cunningham is perfectly positioned to be the straw that stirs the drink as the elite player who pushes everyone down one slot in the pecking order. He fits with Hayes well as the primary ballhandler next to Hayes in the secondary role, although I think the team will need to go out and get an explosive, creative athlete to pair with those two in the backcourt as a trio just to consistently pressure the defense. But with Cunningham, the Pistons have absolutely fast-tracked their rebuild. I don’t know that they’ll push for the playoffs in 2022, but I would anticipate they do in 2023.

2. Houston Rockets
Jalen Green | 6-6 guard | 19 years old | G League Ignite
The player: One of the better scoring prospects of the last decade. Green isn’t quite as powerful as Anthony Edwards but has a similar level of quick-twitch and converts that twitch into powerful leaping and finishing off both one foot and two around the basket. I also like Green’s pull-up game and shooting and think it’s a bit ahead of where Edwards was last season. Green has a bit better touch entering the NBA and a bit more of a polished in-between game. He still has a ways to go in terms of making decisions and providing real defensive value on a consistent basis, but he’s one of the surest bets to average at least 20 points per game at some point in his career.

The fit: To this point, I do not believe any decision has been made with Houston. The sense I get is that the Rockets will call the Pistons about the No. 1 overall pick, but they’re unlikely to gain much traction. At No. 2, I believe Green, Evan Mobley and Jalen Suggs are all still being discussed. Remember: It would be unlikely the Rockets have made a final decision at this point if only because they just brought in a new director of scouting in Chris Wallace about 10 days ago. Green’s name is the one I’ve heard most with the Rockets at this point, so he’s slotted here. The Rockets desperately need explosive talent, regardless of how it “fits.” There is no discussion of “fit” when you don’t have the guy already on the roster. Green is about as good of a scoring prospect as I’ve scouted in the last eight years. He’ll be a 20-plus-point-per-game scorer in his career.

3. Cleveland Cavaliers
Evan Mobley | 7-0 center | 20 years old, freshman | USC
The player: Mobley is a very well-rounded center prospect, a much stronger fit for the modern NBA than last year’s top-two pick James Wiseman. Mobley is a tremendous defender with incredible instincts, both as a rim protector and away from the basket. He’s good in pick-and-coverages due to how fluid and mobile his hips and feet are. Offensively, he is really comfortable handling the ball and making plays as a passer. He has some upside as a shot creator out of dribble handoffs and short rolls. USC even used him as a pick-and-roll ballhandler at times. He has the potential to step away and shoot too, as he made 12 3s this past season. He carried USC to the Elite Eight, one of the best seasons in school history. He is another potential All-Star-level talent.

The fit: Mobley is, by far, the name I’ve heard most for the Cavaliers. You may be asking, “Why would the Cavaliers take a center after they just traded for Jarrett Allen and already have a terrific option in Larry Nance?” Honestly, that’s a real perspective that I think is valid. I would probably take Suggs. But you know what? They really need defensive ability, and Mobley has a higher defensive upside than anybody in this class. Even if he wouldn’t be my pick, I still like the pick for Cleveland. His upside is real. If they’re going to take Mobley, I would strongly urge that the Cavs do not re-sign Allen and instead look to sign-and-trade him with his restricted free agency rights. That would just be using far too much money for the frontcourt in a perimeter-oriented NBA. But a Darius Garland-Evan Mobley pick-and-roll has to be exciting to Cavaliers fans.

4. Toronto Raptors
Jalen Suggs | 6-5 guard | 20 years old, freshman | Gonzaga
The player: A powerful guard with a well-rounded game, Suggs profiles nicely as a lead initiator in the NBA. He has terrific athleticism and quick-twitch, mixed with power and explosion as a dunker. He pairs that with a real skill level and feel for the game. He plays an attack-oriented but patient brand of basketball while maintaining control. When engaged, he’s a tremendous on-ball defender. There just aren’t a ton of holes with Suggs, and he has the look of a future All-Star if the jumper improves by a small margin. He just needs to iron out some of the wild tendencies in his game as well as tighten up his jumper a bit.

The fit: I don’t think this pick is a done deal yet. Sources certainly believe the Raptors are indeed considering Scottie Barnes in addition to the consensus top-four names. Additionally, this pick is thought to be available for the right price in a trade-down scenario. But Suggs at No. 4 would be a home run for the Raptors. His mixture in between Fred VanVleet in the backcourt and OG Anunoby on the wing would be tremendous due to his athleticism and creativity. He can put legitimate pressure on the rim in a way few others in this class can, which is something the Raptors could use. He also has the high-energy defensive mindset that Nick Nurse loves when he’s locked in. And while he keeps working out his jumper — which isn’t bad; it just needs some time to work its way into consistency — the Raptors would really be able to space the floor around him. I’d simply just sit here if I were them and take the player in the top-four who falls.

5. Orlando Magic
Scottie Barnes | 6-9 forward | 19 years old, freshman | Florida State
The player: At 6-foot-9 with a 7-foot-3 wingspan and a strong, powerful frame, Barnes has prototypical size and length for the wing and switchable big position. His lateral agility also is strong, allowing him to be the one prospect in this class who can genuinely switch one through five right now. So few players in the NBA are this big, this long and this fluid and also consistently play as hard as Barnes does with such infectious energy. Offensively, there is some work to do, but he’s a tremendous passer with a high feel for the game, having averaged over four assists per game for Florida State while playing some point guard. The swing skill will be the jump shot. If Barnes makes shots, he’ll be a terrific starter with some All-Star upside if things break right.

The fit: Barnes fits everything this front office has looked for in the past to a T. He has great positional size, he’s strong, he’s a great teammate, he plays with infectious energy, he’s an awesome defender and he has real ball skills for his position. But the Magic wouldn’t be alone in liking Barnes. Multiple teams I’ve spoken with actually have Barnes as a top-four prospect in this class, ahead of Suggs, Green or Mobley. I don’t necessarily love the roster fit here, but the player simply ticks all the boxes Orlando looks for. I believe the Magic are much more likely, at this point, to select Barnes than Jonathan Kuminga, the other player typically associated with this pick. One other note: don’t be surprised if Orlando tries to move up on draft night, as the team is thought to like Jalen Suggs.

6. Oklahoma City Thunder
Jonathan Kuminga | 6-7 wing/forward | 18 years old | G League Ignite
The player: Kuminga had an up-and-down experience with the G League Ignite this year. He’s an athletic wing with real shot-creation potential due to his body control and power. He’s a terrific driver who gets into the paint, and he plays really hard. He cuts well, and while he didn’t shoot it well this past season, I don’t think his shot off the catch is broken by any stretch. Still, he shot 25 percent from 3. He also struggled a bit on defense within the construct of what the Ignite wanted to do as a team, but he has all of the tools you look for with a 7-foot-plus wingspan and real athleticism and strength. He averaged 16 points and seven rebounds in his first professional experience and profiles well as a starting wing with real All-Star upside if the shot comes around.

The fit: Kuminga has turned into one of the true wild cards of draft night. I think his range starts here and lasts down even until the 11 or 12 range. Things with his situation are that uncertain right now. However, where he lands will have a significant cascading effect on the rest of the proceedings. The Thunder are notoriously secretive, but the name that has come up most as a potential party-crasher in the top-six is James Bouknight. A Bouknight choice would particularly create some confusion down the order, as there is some uncertainty regarding how teams below this level feel about Kuminga. Also, don’t forget Sam Presti is one of the most active general managers on the trade market. Teams are trying to navigate his season with the Ignite and are struggling to come up with where they fall on him. Is he more Jeff Green or Jaylen Brown? Or somewhere in the middle like Harrison Barnes? Each individual team feels differently, and he’s something of a polarizing player. The Thunder can afford to take a flier, given that they have one of the best developmental programs in the NBA. I’m going for Kuminga for now, but there is a real chance this adjusts with more information.

7. Golden State Warriors (via MIN)
James Bouknight | 6-5 wing | 20 years old, sophomore | Connecticut
The player: Bouknight is a terrific athlete with great scoring acumen. At 6-foot-5 with long arms, he has good size for the off-guard position. His game is built off the playground. He has tremendous shake and potential to be a genuine three-level scorer in the NBA. He’s a tremendous finisher for a guard who absorbs contact and finishes through it. Anything you’re looking for in a guy’s bag from a craft perspective, Bouknight has it, and it’s a fun game to watch. Ultimately, he needs to prove he can knock down shots at a bit of a better clip, given that it needs to be a genuine plus skill with what his game will be.

The fit: The Warriors are in a really interesting place. As always, a lot of information seems to emanate from their front office. Bouknight, Moses Moody, and Josh Giddey are the three names I’ve gotten most consistently for them. They fit a combination of what the front office wants to do (maximize the asset value) and what the coaching staff/players want (compete now and get players who can help them do that sooner rather than later). Additionally, the Warriors are strongly considering the possibility that Kuminga could fall into their range, heading down to Miami to see a workout with him later this week in Miami. Golden State is constantly in the trade rumor mill with this and the 14th pick, so don’t be stunned to see that continue. As much as the players may want to draft a player who could help them sooner rather than later, it’s much more likely that a trade for a veteran would accomplish that task even better. It’s worth noting, again, that Bouknight could be off the board here.

8. Orlando Magic (via CHI)
Alperen Sengun | 6-10 big | 19 years old, international | Besiktas
The player: Sengun won the Turkish League MVP after putting up one of the most productive teenage seasons in recent European basketball history. From a scouting perspective, he can finish inside, has a great nose for the basket and a great feel for getting separation. His hands are elite. Plus, he’s started showing the kind of dexterity and ability that will allow him to take guys off the bounce and score. The only problem comes on defense, where I’m a bit skeptical until he proves he can man up in space. But the offensive upside is legitimately good enough to be worthy of a top-10 pick.

The fit: The Magic are one of the few teams that will have Sengun in for a workout and are thought to be interested in the high-scoring Turkish star as a potential replacement for Nikola Vucevic, whom the team traded away at the deadline to acquire this selection among other assets. Plenty of other names have come up here as well, including Bouknight, Moody and Franz Wagner. Kuminga falling here would also create an interesting choice if they take Barnes. Given the presence of two picks, the Magic are also thought to be a potential trade partner for teams.

9. Sacramento Kings
Franz Wagner | 6-9 forward | 19 years old, sophomore | Michigan
The player: Wagner is an interesting 3-and-D prospect at 6-foot-9. His movement is terrific, with great lateral quickness. He can guard a variety of perimeter players on the ball, but his off-ball instincts are absolutely spectacular. He knows exactly where to be positionally, and his reactivity to get deflections is outstanding. The big question revolves around his shot, which comes and goes far too often. Sometimes, he looks like a legit 40 percent 3-point shooter in the future. Other times, he looks like a 30 percent guy and totally non-confident in the jumper mechanics. Whichever one he is will determine his career. If he becomes that high-level shooter, he’ll be a very high-level role player who starts. If he doesn’t, he’s more in the vein of his brother, Moritz, as an end-of-the-rotation guy.

The fit: Three things have consistently come up when discussing what the Kings are thinking with sources around the league. First, that they would love to take a bigger wing/forward. Second, that defense is important to them in this pick. And third, that analytics will play a bigger role here than in other situations league-wide, given Monte McNair’s background and ownership’s emphasis on being data-driven. Wagner is the guy that ticks all the boxes there as a 6-foot-9 player with real defensive acumen who is actually younger than quite a few of the one-and-dones in this class. This pick is also thought to have come up in trade discussions as the Kings look to compete for a playoff spot next year.

10. New Orleans Pelicans
Josh Giddey | 6-8 wing | 18 years old | Adelaide
The player: Giddey had a terrific season in Australia, averaging 11 points, seven rebounds and seven assists, leading the league in helpers and finishing sixth in rebounding as an 18-year-old. He needs to tighten up his handle a bit and keep improving as a shooter, but the skill set here is perfect for that of a secondary playmaker at the next level due to how quickly he processes the game. Giddey should be a very high-level role player who starts, with some upside for more if the jumper gets figured out.

The fit: I have less of a feel for the Pelicans than any other team in the top 10. They have a tendency to draft younger (Kira Lewis, Zion Williamson and Jaxson Hayes were all teenagers when they were picked, and Nickeil Alexander-Walker was 20 years old) under this regime. Plus, their backcourt of the future could use a bit more size. I’ve gone Giddey here, who would be a pretty great replacement for Lonzo Ball, given that Ball is a free agent and no guarantee to re-sign in New Orleans. One other note on Giddey: he has a lot of fans in ranges of the draft that aren’t his projected range, including Toronto — one of the few teams to send personnel to see him live this year in Australia. Don’t be surprised to see a team target him in a trade situation.

11. Charlotte Hornets
Moses Moody | 6-6 wing | 19 years old, freshman | Arkansas
The player: Moody is a terrific 3-and-D wing option at 6-foot-6 with a 7-foot wingspan. He is switchable on defense, with good feet and a tough mindset. Offensively, he hits shots with a smooth stroke off the catch. He took a ton of contested shots this past season as Arkansas’ go-to guy, which led to some of his inefficiencies. But he also showcased some difficult shot-making ability off the move. The big things to work on here are his passing ability and finishing — and he’s not a wild athlete by any stretch. But it’s tough to find teenagers who are this good at shooting and defending with a platform to improve his other aspects as well.

The fit: The Hornets desperately need a long-term answer at center with Cody Zeller entering free agency this offseason. Having said that, they have an awful lot of cap space they can use this summer to fill that need, and sources around the league believe they are likely to target a center when using that space to try to take another leap up the Eastern Conference hierarchy. So it wouldn’t stun me to see a guard go here. I’ve gone Moody, whom teams are excited about. Why? Because he was a productive college player that fills a genuine 3-and-D need next to LaMelo Ball long-term. I’m a big fan of Moody’s shot making and think this would be about as perfect a fit as you’ll find.

12. San Antonio Spurs
Jalen Johnson | 6-8 forward | 19 years old, freshman | Duke
The player: We’re in the part of the draft where there are some flawed but interesting prospects who have high upsides but low floors. Johnson is a tremendous ballhandler and transition player for his size at the four. His best skill, though, is his passing ability. He’s very creative in how he sees over the defense, and he makes a lot of tough reads. The problem is that he’s not a particularly adept half-court scoring threat. Teams will just play the pass against him because he doesn’t shoot it confidently yet and doesn’t have an in-between floater game yet. If he ever shoots it, though, he has a good shot to turn into a real starter.

Johnson left Duke early this year and departed IMG Academy midway through his senior season, and NBA teams are working through his intel report to make a determination on how much they believe he’d fit within their organizations.

The fit: Another extremely polarizing player on whom scouts are all over the map. This is wild card No. 2. I’ve spent more time digging into Johnson’s draft standing than any other player this year. I’ve talked to a couple of executives for teams in the teens that have told me their team will not be selecting him. I’ve also talked to four different sources that seem to think Johnson is a lock in the lottery. Honestly, I’m not sure what to think. What I do know is that teams have some real questions about Johnson’s intel report that they’re still working through. When that is the case with one-and-done guys, they have a tendency to fall on draft night. Johnson’s range starts around here and reaches into the 20s. It’s wider than you’d think if a decision or two falls against him. He fits really well with the Spurs as a point forward, though, as they need further playmaking in the frontcourt.

13. Indiana Pacers
Davion Mitchell | 6-3 guard | 22 years old, junior | Baylor
The player: Mitchell was arguably the best two-way player in the country. He won the national Defensive Player of the Year award due to his toughness at the point of attack. He took on a variety of assignments too, from smaller guards all the way up to guys like Cade Cunningham. The key reason for his rise, though, came on offense, where Mitchell actualized the tools he has in terms of speed and quickness and became an extremely high-level table-setter as a passer. On top of that, he hit nearly 45 percent from 3. His game looks tailor-made and ready to play in the NBA. He’s one of the most competitive players in the draft, a tough dude who just keeps getting better every time we see him.

The fit: The Pacers are pretty set across the board positionally. The team did have a ball-movement-heavy offense last year, though, and Rick Carlisle likely wouldn’t mind a similar offensive system with versatile players. They also might need further defensive play at the point of attack, where Mitchell is absolutely superb. Really though, this is just kind of a value pick for me as the Pacers can just afford to take the guy that they think is best, given everything they already have. I’ll also just note, though, that Mitchell’s range is a bit wider than what people think. I don’t really see him as truly being in the mix for anyone at this point until No. 11, unless a team moves up.

14. Golden State Warriors
Chris Duarte | 6-6 guard | 24 years old, senior | Oregon
The player: Some evaluators have docked Duarte for his age, as he’d be the oldest prospect in the first round. But I think his game is so tailor-made for the NBA that he’s not going to have any problem making an immediate impact. He’s an All-Defense member in the Pac-12 and a genuine playmaker with how disruptive his hands are in the backcourt with length at 6-foot-6. And on offense, he’s a legit 40-plus percent 3-point shooter who also can handle the ball and make comfortable decisions. Duarte has high-level role player written all over him. He chose to sit out the 2021 NBA Draft Combine, leading some teams to speculate that he has a promise from someone.

The fit: This is on the higher end for Duarte, a name that has come up as someone the Warriors are particularly interested in because they believe he can be a part of the team’s rotation as soon as this season. His ability to shoot and defend would be different from anything else the team currently has in the backcourt. Again, I think they’d love for Moody to get here, something that isn’t out of the realm of possibility. Keon Johnson is another name that has come up. Also, don’t be stunned if this is looked at as a trade spot for opposing teams that want to try to get back in for a specific player.

15. Washington Wizards
Corey Kispert | 6-7 wing | 22 years old, senior | Gonzaga
The player: Arguably the best shooter in the class, Kispert shot 53 percent from the field and 44 percent from 3 this past season while averaging 19 points per game for the nearly undefeated Gonzaga Bulldogs. He’s going to shoot the hell out of the ball, and he’s going to make elite decisions. NBA sources have compared him very similarly to Joe Harris, who has led the league in 3-point percentage in two of the last three seasons. There are some questions on defense, as Kispert doesn’t have the quickest feet in the world. But he’s a confident player who was the leader of Gonzaga’s team this past season, an elite character guy who will keep working and should stick as a very high-level role player.

The fit: No team needs shooting more than the Wizards at this point. Really, the only two reliable guys they have on their roster heading into next season in that regard are Bradley Beal and Davis Bertans. Garrison Mathews is a free agent and will need to be signed. Kispert is about as reliable a shooter as you’ll find, the best in this draft class. The assumption on him right now is that he lands somewhere in the No. 10 to No. 20 range. Duarte and Trey Murphy are other names that have come up here as the Wizards look for potential role players this year.

16. Oklahoma City Thunder (via BOS)
Isaiah Jackson | 6-10 center | 19 years old, freshman | Kentucky
The player: Jackson decided to stay in the 2021 NBA Draft after some thought, and it makes sense. He’s a likely top-20 pick due to his tools. He’s 6-foot-10 with a 7-foot-3 wingspan and all sorts of twitchy explosiveness. He is the prototypical run-and-jump, play-finishing, shot-swatting center prospect and has the athleticism to legitimately do it. He also had a monster close to the season, averaging 13 points, seven rebounds and two blocks over his final seven games. If things break right, he’ll be an effective defender who is low-usage as a gravity lob threat on offense.

The fit: The Thunder are seen as likely to come away from the 2021 NBA Draft with at least one big man, given that there aren’t any true bigs on the roster right now. Jackson is the name I’ve heard most associated with them in that regard, as he’s a high-character player who has high upside on defense. Kai Jones also has come up as a possibility. Obviously though, with picks No. 16 and 18, Presti will be active in the trade market and will scour to see what’s available.

17. Memphis Grizzlies
Trey Murphy | 6-9 wing | 21 years old, junior | Virginia
The player: A tailor-made 3-and-D fit for today’s NBA. Murphy hit 43.3 percent from 3 and 92.7 percent from the foul line this past season at 6-foot-9. He has extremely clean mechanics that project exceedingly well toward success at the next level. But more than that, he’s also a strong defender who moves his feet well and can slide to cut off penetration from opposing drivers. He’s switchable onto perimeter players right now, and as he keeps getting stronger — he’s a late bloomer physically who was 5-foot-8 as a freshman in high school — he has some potential to slide up the lineup defensively. He’s a name I’ve heard a lot of enthusiasm about from teams as we near the draft.

The fit: There has been arguably no more successful team in the draft in recent years than the Grizzlies. Murphy and Jaden Springer are the two names I’ve heard most for Memphis at No. 17, although they are thought to be one of the teams to have explored moving up. Murphy tick a lot of the boxes as a plus-character guy for an organization that genuinely cares about it, along with being a high-level floor spacer and defender to put next to Ja Morant, who we all know will be the creative driving force in Memphis for the foreseeable future.

18. Oklahoma City Thunder (via MIA)
Jared Butler | 6-3 guard | 20 years old, junior | Baylor
The player: Butler was as decorated a college player as you’ll find this past season, a first-team All-American who has worked his way into a genuine draft prospect over the last two years. He’s a 6-foot-3 scoring guard who can knock down shots from the outside both directly off the catch and off the pull-up. He averaged nearly 17 points per game while shooting almost 42 percent from 3 and taking tough shots too. Plus, he was All-Defense in the Big 12 and generally does a good job of playing within scheme and locking down opposing players.

The fit: Butler is a complicated evaluation for teams. He’s been cleared by the NBA after going before its fitness to play panel due to a personal health matter. However, all that means is the league won’t stop him from playing or a team from selecting him. Each team will have to make an individual determination regarding his situation and decide how comfortable it is. I’ve heard anything from the teens to the early second round for Butler. His situation will undeniably be one of the stories of draft night. For the Thunder, he’d be a perfect backcourt complement for Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Lu Dort.

19. New York Knicks
Usman Garuba | 6-8 big | 19 years old | Real Madrid
The player: Defense, defense, defense. Garuba is already one of the best defenders in Europe as a teenager and profiles as a potential All-Defense Team guy in the NBA by the time he’s 25. He can defend on the interior, with terrific fundamentals for verticality and weakside shot blocking. His ability to slide his feet and drop his hips laterally is ridiculous, and his instincts as a pick-and-roll defender are terrific. The problems come on offense. He’s still not a particularly effective player on that end, but there have been signs of progress. He has been making more 3s recently, but it’s going to take some time. He can also pass the ball out of short rolls a bit, and he’s not totally afraid to put the ball on the deck.

The fit: Tom Thibodeau’s favorite player is Taj Gibson. There are a lot of similarities between Garuba and Gibson, as both are absolutely elite defenders positionally. The difference is that Garuba has a bit more athleticism and pop than Gibson ever did, and thus has a real chance to be the kind of impact defender it’s worth consistently keeping on the court. Also, the Knicks will be very familiar with Garuba, as he’s repped by CAA. While I do think that connection to the current front office has been slightly overblown, I also believe it’ll help in regard to familiarity with a player they might not have gotten a chance to see overseas this year.

20. Atlanta Hawks
Keon Johnson | 6-5 wing | 19 years old, freshman | Tennessee
The player: An elite athlete, Johnson has the kind of twitch and explosion most players only dream of possessing. At 6-foot-5, he can jump out of the gym and has burst as a driver. He’s also an elite defender on the ball already, where he uses that length and quickness to cause issues for players at the one through three spots. He’s just very raw on offense. The jumper needs work, as he’s essentially a non-shooter right now — at least efficiently. He also needs to work on his handle and driving ability. But once Tennessee let him loose late in the season, Johnson was pretty good. He averaged 14.4 points, four rebounds and three assists over his final 12 games, including a bevy of impressive highlights that showcase what his upside is if he can keep rounding out his game.

The fit: Another wild card. Johnson is an extremely polarizing player for front offices. Some love his athletic upside and see him as a real potential offensive playmaker. Others just strongly believe that he’s not going to shoot it, and that he’s a bit too loose with the ball. I’ve heard anywhere from top 10 to mid-20s for Johnson from teams. But unfortunately, someone just kind of has to fall on draft night. In this iteration of the mock, Johnson is one of those fallers. It wouldn’t surprise me if I get intel later in the week that says to move him up. No one I’ve spoken with has a great feel for the Hawks right now after their deep run in the playoffs. They’re pretty set across the board positionally, with the only true need being a backup point guard for Trae Young if Lou Williams was to depart. Johnson isn’t really that, but he’s a great on-ball defender that would complement Young in the backcourt.

27. Brooklyn Nets
Ziaire Williams | 6-9 wing | 19 years old, freshman | Stanford
The player: A complicated evaluation. Williams had a tough year at Stanford, as the team lived out of hotels for the first six weeks of the season, then he left the team in the middle of the season due to a death in the family before returning for the final few games. On the court, he had some true highs, such as a triple-double against Washington. He also averaged 13 points, six rebounds and three assists prior to his month-long departure. Still, his inefficiency left a bad lasting impression in most evaluators’ eyes, and he struggled to deal with the physicality of the game at what looked to be about 175 pounds. Williams is a project, although one with major upside if the right team ends up with him.

The fit: The Nets are competing for a title and can afford to take a home run swing on a late first-round pick if only because it’s unlikely many of these guys would be able to hold down a rotation spot on a title contender right now. Williams has a long way to go, but it’s hard to imagine someone better for his game to be around every day than Kevin Durant. He’s definitely seen as a wild card who could go all over the board on draft day.

28. Philadelphia 76ers
Ayo Dosunmu | 6-5 guard | 21 years old, junior | Illinois
The player: Dosunmu was one of the best players in college basketball this past season, posting 20 points, six rebounds and five assists while leading Illinois to a terrific season. Simply put, he’s pro-ready and should be able to make an impact early due to his athleticism, vision, defensive ability, length and poise. Having said that, I can tell you there are scouts who are not enamored with him because of his jumper. He hit 39 percent this past season on under 100 attempts, and over the course of his career, he’s hit 34.5 percent of his 300-plus 3-point attempts. It’s a bit of a wonky shot mechanically that scouts worry about in terms of consistency. Teams also aren’t sure if he’s a lead guard or an off-guard from a vision and playmaking perspective. But he’s also considered a leader and a high-character guy, so there is some faith he’ll keep improving.

The fit: The 76ers seem likely to move Ben Simmons this summer given all of the reporting. That would totally reshape the roster and open up a few different avenues. Dosunmu isn’t a great shooter, but he’s a high-level defender on the perimeter who also has some real offensive game. As usual, though, sources have continued to note that Daryl Morey has a tendency not to use his draft picks, so don’t be surprised if this pick comes up as a potential trade option.

29. Phoenix Suns
Sharife Cooper | 6-1 guard | 20 years old, freshman | Auburn
The player: One look at Cooper’s numbers will tell you a lot. He averaged over 20 points and eight assists per game in an extremely high-usage role for Auburn after becoming eligible to play (the NCAA held him out for half the season while looking into amateurism concerns). Cooper’s ballhandling acumen is absurd, as he keeps the ball close to the ground and tight to his body while creatively contorting his body, changing paces and adjusting directions. His live-dribble passing also is an extremely high-level skill. The intersection of those two skills should allow him to at least be a backup in the NBA. Where the upside will come is with his shooting and defense. He’s terrible at both right now. And he’s extremely small, making it highly unlikely the defense is going to come along. For Cooper to reach his ceiling, it involves getting better as a shooter.

The fit: The good news for the Suns is that they have very few real needs. Backup center is definitely one, but that is easily filled in free agency by myriad options. Backup point guard (and a legitimate option as a long-term point guard of the future for after the Chris Paul era ends) also is a real need given that Cam Payne has made himself quite a bit of money this season with his standout performances. Cooper would be a killer fit here in that regard. He could end up going about 10 spots higher than this on draft night as well. He has a very wide range, and it’s a bit telling that he has not been invited to the NBA Draft Green Room yet.

30. Utah Jazz
Herbert Jones | 6-7 wing |22 years old, senior | Alabama
The player: Jones is one of the best defensive players in the draft, a 6-foot-7 wing with a 7-foot wingspan who can legitimately guard one through four. On top of that, he can really handle the ball and make passing reads, sometimes even running the point for Alabama on his way to SEC Player of the Year and SEC Defensive Player of the Year. The big question is with the jumper. Personally, I’m a bit skeptical of it and have real concerns about him ever shooting at the level expected of a low-usage NBA wing. But if he does, he’ll be an NBA role player for a decade.

The fit: The Jazz are certainly looking for athletic defensive players who can help them win a title next year. Jones fits that billing perfectly. The only issue is that he can’t shoot, something that is very coveted within their offense. They’d need to believe they can fix the jumper for this one to work.

Round two of Vecenie's mock draft:
Round 2
31. Milwaukee (via HOU): Quentin Grimes | 6-5 guard | 21 years old, junior | Houston

32. New York (via DET): Austin Reaves | 6-5 guard | 23 years old, senior | Oklahoma

33. Orlando: Bones Hyland | 6-3 guard | 20 years old | VCU

34. Oklahoma City: JT Thor | 6-10 forward | 19 years old | Auburn

35. New Orleans (via CLE): Joe Wieskamp | 6-7 wing | 21 years old, junior | Iowa

36. Oklahoma City (via MIN): Tre Mann | 6-4 guard | 20 years old, sophomore | Florida

37. Detroit (via TOR): Brandon Boston Jr. | 6-7 wing | 19 years old, freshman | Kentucky

38. Chicago (via NO): Day’Ron Sharpe | 6-11 center | 19 years old, freshman | North Carolina

39. Sacramento: Jeremiah Robinson-Earl | 6-10 forward | 20 years old, sophomore | Villanova

40. New Orleans (via CHI): Santi Aldama | 6-11 big | 20 years old, sophomore | Loyola (MD)

41. San Antonio: Isaiah Todd | 6-10 big | 19 years old | G League Ignite

42. Detroit (via CHA): Josh Christopher | 6-4 guard | 19 years old, freshman | Arizona State

43. New Orleans (via WAS): Filip Petrusev | 7-0 center | 21 years old | Mega

44. Brooklyn (via IND): Joel Ayayi | 6-5 guard | 21 years old, junior | Gonzaga

45. Boston: Jason Preston | 6-4 guard | 22 years old, junior | Ohio

46. Toronto (via MEM): Juhann Begarin | 6-6 wing | 18 years old | Paris

47. Toronto (via GSW): Isaiah Livers | 6-7 wing | 22 years old, senior | Michigan

48. Atlanta (via MIA): Greg Brown | 6-8 forward | 19 years old, freshman | Texas

49. Brooklyn (via ATL): Sandro Mamukelashvili | 6-11 big | 22 years old, senior | Seton Hall

50. Philadelphia (via NYK): David Johnson | 6-5 guard | 20 years old, sophomore | Louisville

51. Memphis (via POR): Kessler Edwards | 6-8 wing | 20 years old, junior | Pepperdine

52. Detroit (via LAL): Vrenz Bleijenbergh | 6-10 wing | 20 years old | Antwerp

53. New Orleans (via DAL): Aaron Henry | 6-5 wing | 21 years old, junior | Michigan State

54. Indiana (via MIL): Charles Bassey | 6-10 center | 20 years old, junior | Western Kentucky

55. Oklahoma City (via DEN): Neemias Queta | 7-0 center | 21 years old, junior | Utah State

56. Charlotte (via LAC): Justin Champagnie | 6-7 forward | 20 years old | Pittsburgh

57. Charlotte (via BKN): Jericho Sims | 6-10 big | 22 years old, senior | Texas

58. New York (via PHI): Luka Garza | 6-11 center | 22 years old, senior | Iowa

59. Brooklyn (via PHX): Moses Wright | 6-9 big | 22 years old, senior | Georgia Tech

60. Indiana (via UTA): Matthew Hurt | 6-9 guard | 20 years old, sophomore | Duke

I’m rolling with Trey Murphy and he from the crib. Completely flew under the Raleigh/Durham radar.

Last edited:
Really looking like Duarte and Murphy may be gone by #22. :smh:

I need to do a deeper dive into Springer or Thomas.

‘His shooting is atrocious’: NBA scouts critique the top 2021 Draft prospects

The world is getting back to normal, but Finch’s world is still out of sorts. Next Thursday is the NBA Draft — his biggest night of the year — and yet it has only been nine months, instead of the usual 12, since the last draft night. Normally the draft happens in late June, but this year it’s happening in late July. And instead of spending last winter jetting around the country, driving countless rental cars and staying in reasonably priced hotels, Finch spent most of his time sitting in front of his flat screen, hovering over his computer, and working the phones in an effort to give the best advice to the folks in his organization who will make the final calls.

So it was a different kind of road to get here … but here we are. And Finch is ready.

For those of you who are uninitiated on the concept of Finch, allow me to initiate you. Over the last two weeks, I asked five NBA scouts their opinions on 50 of the top prospects who will be considered for selection on July 29. In exchange for their candor — brutal, in many cases, as you’ll see — I granted my quintet of sources full anonymity. Then I condensed their opinions into a paragraph as if they were uttered by a single person named Finch. That nom de guerre was invented by my former Sports Illustrated colleague Alex Wolff, who chose it because Finch is the surname of the protagonist Scout from “To Kill A Mockingbird,” the greatest novel ever written.

It was a huge detriment for Finch to be unable to attend college games for most of last season. It robbed him of the chance to eyeball players from courtside, and then chat up coaches, trainers, reporters and other bird dogs to get a sense for how a player acts away from the games. “You can get a lot of information just by showing up early and hanging around the court before a game,” Finch told me. “I only went to a couple of games this season, and they wouldn’t let me on the floor.”

So yeah, it’s been different, but a welcome sense of familiarity will return next Thursday. Before we unveil the Finch 50, some hoop thoughts on what follows:

• Since college basketball is my bailiwick, I once again did not include the top international players on my list, although I did ask Finch about three of the 19-year-olds who played for the NBA G League’s Ignite team.
• There were, of course, differences of opinions amongst the five scouts, but the quotes below represent the best possible consensus. If a scout proffered an opinion that felt like an outlier, I did not include it.
• In some years, there is a modicum of dissent as to who the number one pick should be. This year there is no modicum. None of my scouts remotely suggested that anyone but Cade Cunningham should be selected first.
• Drafts usually feature a top tier of players, followed by a considerable dropoff. Some years that tier consists of just one player. Some years it’s two or three. This year it’s five. Cunningham will go first, and the next four players are set (in whatever order): Jalen Green, Jonathan Kuminga, Evan Mobley and Jalen Suggs.
• The most dangerous place to pick — and be picked — is the second half of the lottery. The top four or five players every year are pretty close to can’t miss, and if they don’t pan out it’s usually the player, not the team, who gets blamed. But that label of being a “lottery pick” can be an albatross, much like being a “McDonald’s All-American” can ruin a kid when he gets to college. Better to be selected at the end of the first round, develop under the radar, and then get labeled a “sleeper” if things go well.
• Assets that Finch values most, in order: 1. Efficient 3-point shooting 2. Elite athleticism 3. Defensive versatility
• In Finch’s parlance, young is good, old is bad. And only in an NBA draft is 24 considered “old.”

And now, on to Finch’s 50, in alphabetical order: (A list of who’s included.)

Joel Ayayi, 6-5 junior guard, Gonzaga. “Swiss Army knife, does a lot of things well, but I don’t think he processes the game like a point guard. I don’t see him running a team. Physically he’s a little weak. He’s been around for a while, and his game isn’t very different from what it was when he came in. Downhill attacker. He was able to blend in with good players at Gonzaga, which is mostly a good thing. But you wonder if he’s capable of being a front line guy, or will he just be a career backup? I’m not convinced he can gain the weight he needs. He’ll be a good second-round pick for somebody.”

Scottie Barnes, 6-9 freshman forward, Florida State. “Love Scottie. Freak body. Defensively he can guard one through five. If he can become a shooter he’ll be an all-star. But if he can’t then it’s a problem because no one will guard him. A kid who works that hard at everything else, I don’t doubt that’s going to come around. He can’t shoot like Draymond Green yet, but everything else he does reminds me of Draymond. He’s shown he’s willing to be a good complementary player.”

Charles Bassey, 6-11 junior center, Western Kentucky. “He’s not an elite athlete but he’s big, he’s strong, he rebounds, he can make a free throw. Kind of knows who he is. He could be a capable backup center. It was good to finally see him healthy. His skill set is not great. Not much of a playmaker at his position. I don’t know how much his outside shooting improved. He didn’t have anyone at Western Kentucky who could get him the ball. He fights pretty hard on the boards. His rebounding is going to translate.”

Brandon Boston Jr., 6-7 freshman guard, Kentucky. “I don’t know what he’s doing sometimes. I was expecting a lot more from him this year, but he’s got some offensive potential. His strength and feel are a problem. He couldn’t finish at the rim. Good size and length, gets to his spots, just didn’t make shots for whatever reason. I know he’s saying he hurt his finger. He looks the part, but he doesn’t engage. Definitely not a high-motor kid. He’s not an explosive, high twitch guy. He has more functional athleticism. He seemed like a decent kid in his interview.”

James Bouknight, 6-5 sophomore guard, UConn. “He killed it at his pro day, made every shot, but I’m not buying him as a shooter. He could be a good scorer like Jordan Clarkson. Shot the hell out of it at the Chicago pre-draft camp. He’s going to be a pretty good rebounder. You can’t make it in our league if you can’t create your own shot. He didn’t shoot it well from 3 in college and was really turnover-prone, but I think he knows what the hell he’s doing. His stroke’s not broken. Nice kid.”

Chaundee Brown, 6-5 senior guard, Michigan. “He’s an end-of-bench rotation guy, maybe. Glue guy who plays hard. Strong shooting guard, has the skills of an undersized power forward. His midrange shot is OK, but when he gets deep his mechanics start to really fluctuate. You see a couple of flashes, but you don’t have a lot of consistency. He wants to float around the perimeter. He’s a tease. Probably a late second-round guy and you put him on a two-way contract and see if he can develop.”

Greg Brown, 6-9 freshman forward, Texas. “He’s sexy, but I just can’t tell you what he does. He shoots 3s or dunks, that’s it. No skill, no feel for the game. His interview was very disappointing. If he buys into being defensive-minded and using his athleticism as a shot-blocker, he could wind up having a place in our league. He gets too caught up in being a wing. He rebounds a little bit. I’m guessing he goes second round but there’s a lot of buyer beware with him. You’ve got to have a really strong assistant or player development guy to work with him.”

Jared Butler, 6-3 junior guard, Baylor. “Oh man, what an unbelievable kid. He was so impressive in our interview. He’s really small. Not a super quick athlete. A winner and big-time shot-maker. He could be in the 20s without that medical issue. This kid could run for president. He checks all the boxes in terms of culture.”

Josh Christopher, 6-5 freshman guard, Arizona State. “I give him credit for playing at the combine. A lot of top guys didn’t. He’s got a motor, he competes, he’s a downhill attacker. He’s a little undersized at the wing. Didn’t play up to his expectations in college. He got hurt and then basically never played again. It’s not like he tore his ACL. He’s a big, strong kid. He’s not going to move the ball, he’s more of a score-first guy. Raw but competitive. He’s really talented. Early second round, I’d say.”

Sharife Cooper, 6-1 freshman guard Auburn. “Wow, what a great kid. He’s bigger than I thought. Really knows how to change speeds to get in the paint. The poor shooting is really hard to overcome, but he’ll be in the first round because he’s just so elite at getting to spots and making plays. Also at that size, who’s he gonna guard? I don’t think he defends worth a ****. If he was a 35 percent 3-point shooter he’d be at the top of the lottery. He’s got that ball on a string. In our league you have to be able to shoot it. He plays hard and he loves basketball.”

Cade Cunningham, 6-8 freshman guard, Oklahoma State. “Clear No. 1 pick. He’s not a really good athlete and doesn’t have the quickest first step, but he’s got a chance to be a high-level two-way player because of his versatility at both ends. He doesn’t have to dominate the ball. He’s the ultimate leader, he’s the best teammate, he’s a responsible kid. Smaller point guards can get up under him. The only thing I would question maybe a little bit is I’m not sure he’ll be able to defend point guards. He’ll have to adapt. He’s not some electric, dynamic athlete but neither is Luka Doncic. He has a smart athleticism.”

Ayo Dosunmu, 6-5 junior guard, Illinois. “I’m not as high on Ayo as some others. He’s got great size, but I worry about his playmaking, I worry about his shooting. He’s probably a third guard or a backup. He loves watching film, he’s a junkie. He’s a good piece. His body looked terrific in Chicago. Aggressive downhill attacker. Just needs to get more consistent with his shooting. He wants to guard, which is impressive. I don’t trust him as a shooter. I hate his mechanics.”

Chris Duarte, 6-6 senior guard, Oregon. “That’s my man crush right there. He’s not what you think of when you think of a juco kid. He plays the right way, he plays really hard. Tough, physical kid. He’s just a basketball player. I know he’s 24, but whoever drafts him is getting someone who can play right away. He can dribble, pass, shoot, he guards, got a good feel. Just doesn’t have a lot of weaknesses.”

Luka Garza, 6-11 senior center, Iowa. “He’s a non-athlete and he knows it. Maybe the greatest interview I’ve ever had. He lost 30 pounds. Does that change his ability to rebound and push people off the block? He needs to be a lights-out shooter because all that **** he got away with in the Big Ten will be hard for him to do in our league. He did some workouts in Chicago and he shot the ball very well. All he does is produce. I can’t count him out. He’s not going to get the same usage in the NBA as he did in college, so his ability to do some of the high-motor stuff is going to be important. He has physical limitations defending pick-and-rolls.”

RaiQuan Gray, 6-8 junior forward, Florida State. “He measured the highest body fat (17.3 percent) at the combine. His shooting is inconsistent, but he’s capable. He has a chance because he’s got size, he handles the ball very well, very smart basketball player. Anytime you’re a captain on a Leonard Hamilton team, you’re about the right stuff. Moves his feet extremely well for a big kid. Not ideal size for his position. Probably a mid- to late second-round pick. Maybe a G League candidate.”

Jalen Green, 6-6 guard, NBA G League. “I could see him leading the league in scoring in a couple of years. He’s a highlight tape waiting to happen. His playmaking for others has to improve. He’s not a point guard who can facilitate — he’s more of a wing. He’s in the gym, he wants to get better. The sky’s the limit for this kid. My biggest question is how quickly can he get to a point where he understands how to play? He needs to learn to harness that athletic ability. He’s got that Zach LaVine, Bradley Beal stuff in his game. He’s thin now but he’ll get stronger.”

Quentin Grimes, 6-5 junior guard, Houston. “He was the best player at the combine. He showed a little more off the dribble than people thought he had. Had an awesome year at Houston. He’s not the best athlete, he’s not the best ballhandler, but he can make shots. I could see him going late first round. He’s been very well-coached. At the end of the day I’m not sure he does anything special enough. He has a definitive NBA skill, and that’s shooting. He has a good level of mental toughness. He’s not a great defender, but he’s not a liability.”

Sam Hauser, 6-8 senior forward, Virginia. “He’s not the quickest guy, but he really makes shots at a high level. Could he be like Dean Wade? Could he be Matt Bonner? He can be Georges Niang. He’s tougher than you think. His shooting disappointed me in Chicago, but because of his size and his shooting ability people will take a chance on him. He’ll be a mid-second-round pick because he does one thing very well, and that one thing is pretty important. I don’t think he’s going to be switchable defensively. He can’t run, he can’t jump, but he can stay in that corner and make shots.”

Aaron Henry, 6-6 junior forward, Michigan State. “I feel like there’s 10 of him in the G League. I want to like him, I just don’t know if he can make enough shots. He’s physical, but I don’t think there’s much there yet, skill-wise. He’s a pretty good passer, got a little midrange to him. He could get too big if he doesn’t manage his weight. Michigan State needed him to be really good, and he didn’t elevate them. He’s a versatile guy at both ends. He’s going to guard multiple positions. Early to mid-second round, I think.”

Nah’Shon Hyland, 6-3 sophomore guard, VCU. “Helped himself in Chicago. He’s skinny, and I don’t think he’ll gain a lot of weight, but he can really score. He’s going to have to learn to pass more. He’s not a vertical athlete, but he’s twitchy, and he’s clever. He’s a scorer much more than a shooter. That’s one area he needs to improve, but I think he will because he’s a gym rat. Full of personality. Worst case he goes in the mid-30s and gets some guaranteed money.”

Matthew Hurt, 6-9 sophomore forward, Duke. “Should have gone back to Duke. Defensively he’s got to improve. Really needs to add strength to improve his lateral movement. I’m not going to say he can’t make it in the NBA, but if he doesn’t he can go overseas and make a lot of money. He struggled shooting the ball in Chicago. I’m not sure he has the mentality to overcome a lot of his stuff. He makes things more difficult than they have to be. He was disappointing with his body fat at the combine (15.2 percent). He’s a non-athlete. I don’t know who he guards.”

Isaiah Jackson, 6-10 freshman forward, Kentucky. “Long, lean, has elite defensive potential. Can really block shots. But his offense needs to catch up. He’s going to be more of a rim runner, catch-and-finish guy. He has to get so much stronger. I think he can be in the Daniel Gafford mold. I’m not sure I see his passing coming along. He’ll wind up being a terrific defender and rebounder in our league. You worry about him being able to pick up weight and maintain it. He’s an undersized center, really thin, has limited skill. Running and jumping isn’t a skill.”

David Johnson, 6-5 sophomore guard, Louisville. “Big-bodied, strong guard. Probably more of a combo. I don’t know if you want him running your team. He’s gotta improve his shooting. He didn’t shoot it well at the combine. I like his size. I like his potential. He has a lack of confidence. He’s not a takeover guy. You watch him, and you want to say, ‘Come on, man, you’re good, let’s go.’ I don’t think this year was great for him playing more off the ball. He’s got legit size. His offense isn’t broken, he just needs more reps.”

Jalen Johnson, 6-9 freshman forward, Duke. “When you meet him, he’s got tremendous size. An impressive looking player and athlete. Lotta question marks, though. Why did he choose so many high schools? Why did he quit Duke? It just seems like he runs away from adversity. I don’t trust his shooting right now. My question is, when the game grinds to halfcourt, is he the same athlete? You’re talking about a guy with a lot of physical upside. He’s going to be a first-round pick, but I wouldn’t feel good about taking him. In our league, he’s going to have to become a better shooter. I don’t think he’s malicious. He’s not a bad kid. He’s got top 10 talent, but I think he falls to the 20s.”

Keon Johnson, 6-5 freshman guard, Tennessee. “Freaky, freaky athlete. Not very polished offensively. Doesn’t shoot it great, not sure about his decision-making. If that clicks, with his size and athleticism, you’re going to have a really good player. In today’s world of positionless basketball, he can play and defend three positions. He needs to establish more variety to get his shots. If he learns to make better plays for others he’ll wind up being a star in our league. He got exposed at Tennessee because he couldn’t make a shot. His shot isn’t broken, he just needs reps. Off-the-charts unbelievable kid.”

Carlik Jones, 6-1 senior guard, Louisville. “He’s got some challenges in front of him, but he’s a tough ****. He can score that ball. Makes plays for others, and he’s a winner. His size and athleticism holds him back. Plays really well in ball screens. He’s more of a scorer than a passer. Not a tremendous defender, but he’s good enough, and he’s extremely competitive. I wouldn’t be surprised if he winds up sticking in the league like Jordan McLaughlin. He didn’t have high assist numbers, but he hit guys in areas for them to score. I don’t know if he gets drafted.”

Herbert Jones, 6-8 senior forward, Alabama. “Talk about a guy with elite toughness. He played his junior year with a broken hand. He can guard one through five, he’s a playmaker with the ball. The shooting piece really needs to improve. I know his shooting percentages improved, but he still has a funky looking shot. He could have a Torrey Craig kind of impact on a playoff team. He does a lot of little things. You have to have the right coach who understands what you have with this guy.”

Kai Jones, 6-11 sophomore forward, Texas. “People have him in the lottery, but I don’t see it. I don’t think he knows how good he is. He could go to the Olympics as a track athlete. He’s shown enough flashes with his perimeter game that you feel like you could take a chance on him. You just have to be patient. You see the physical potential, but you gotta get more done, man. There’s a lot to work with there. He’s a ball of energy at both ends of the floor. He’ll thrive in transition in our league. He’s always around the ball. I don’t think he’s a great low post player because he’s too small.”

Corey Kispert, 6-7 senior guard, Gonzaga. “He can make shots at a high level. He’s gotten better off the bounce and finishing at the rim. He’s got legit size at 6-7. He got exposed defensively in that Baylor game. He hasn’t shown he can guard big-time athletes, and that’s all he’s going to see in the NBA. I’d say he’s a streaky shooter more than an excellent shooter. He’s a fluid runner in the fullcourt but not as good of a mover in the halfcourt. His shot can be flat at times, but you can’t argue with the results. He’s a finished product.”

Jonathan Kuminga, 6-8 forward, NBA G League. “He’s a freak. Clearly the most gifted athlete in the draft. Can guard one through four. He can make a shot, but he’s not the greatest decision-maker. But he’s not even 19 and he’s got loads of potential. I’m not sure how committed he is. I thought he was great at the beginning of the bubble, but then he faded. I think his motor runs inconsistently, but when it’s running high he’s special. He’s pretty explosive for his size. He’s Pascal Siakam.”

Isaiah Livers, 6-7 senior forward, Michigan. “He’s had a rough couple of years with his injuries. He’s pretty limited with the ball in his hands. Defensively he’s just okay. It wouldn’t shock me if he goes undrafted but eventually makes his way. He’s a good shooter, not elite. The problem is, who does he guard? A four man will post him up, and he certainly can’t guard a wing. His lateral quickness is a problem. He’s a good kid, he’ll be coachable. Pretty marginal athlete, but his ability to shoot and make the right reads will help. I’d say he’s mid-second round.”

Tre Mann, 6-5 sophomore guard, Florida. “I’m a big Tre Mann guy. In high school he reminded me of Stephen Curry. He’s going to have some challenges athletically. Really good size. High-level scoring combo guard. His body’s got to improve, and he’s gotta get better defensively. He’s done a great job adding muscle to his body. I don’t think he’s a point guard, I think he’s more of a two. He wants nothing to do with physical activity. He shies away from contact.”

Miles McBride, 6-2 sophomore guard, West Virginia. “He really helped himself in Chicago. If I were an agent of another player, I wouldn’t want him going into a workout with this guy. His competitiveness is elite. He’s not a true point guard. I wouldn’t have him run your team. Big time on-ball defender and clutch shot-maker. He’s not big but, he’s got those long arms. He’s got a really nice little elbow pullup game. I look at him as an emotional leader. I think he can sneak into the first round. There’s a lot to like about him.”

Davion Mitchell, 6-2 senior guard Baylor. “He’s small, not as long as you think. But he’s a high-level competitor and winner, and he’s gotten better each year at playmaking for others. Just an incredible will to compete, and from what I understand he’s a great teammate. Safe pick. I wonder how good his point guard skills are. He’s made himself into a good shooter where you can’t go underneath ball screens on him.”

Evan Mobley, 7-0 freshman forward, USC. “His impact on that USC team was incredible. He’s got to get a lot stronger to be able to handle the physicality of playing the five in our league. He can knock down a 17-footer now, but he has to be able to move it back a few feet. Chris Bosh got there, why couldn’t he? I used to think he was too nice but not anymore. Not a great rim protector but he’s big enough to deter people. My main concern is stability in his base and whether he can pick up weight. You wonder if he loves the game. Will he get into the weight room and change his body?”

Moses Moody, 6-6 freshman guard, Arkansas. “One of the safer picks in the draft. He’ll be a classic 3-and-D guy. I’d like to see more nasty in him. He played the right way as a freshman. The Arkansas staff speaks the world of him. He’s average sized for a shooting guard, but he’s a strong physical kid. He’s not selfish, and he’s a pretty willing defender. His athleticism isn’t dynamic. I don’t know how well he changes directions one on one. He’s not a great shooter, but he’s got a little wiggle to him.”

Trey Murphy III, 6-9 junior forward, Virginia. “He’s a lot bigger than I thought. Big-time athlete. He’s 6-9 and he can shoot and guard. Those guys don’t grow on trees. I’ve been surprised at how well he moves defensively. He’ll probably go in the first round because people see potential for him to defend on the perimeter against smaller guys. He can actually defend a four. Nice kid, very happy go lucky. For a guy with all that length and athleticism, he didn’t rebound it well in college. He needs to be a better finisher. He needs to be a tougher, more hard-nosed player. If you let him jump off two feet he will rock your world. He doesn’t have a great handle but he can do what Cam Johnson does.”

Daishen Nix, 6-5 guard, NBA G League. “He’s got good size and can really pass, but his shooting is atrocious. That’s a problem if you’re a point guard. He’s got to get his body right. Can get in the paint, but he really struggles to finish at the rim. I know he had COVID-19. and he gained a lot of weight during the season. He lost a lot of the weight but did not play particularly well in Chicago. Kind of reminds me of Andre Miller, a stocky strong point guard. The work ethic goes up and down, but he’s a gamer. Someone will take a swing at him in the second round.”

Joshua Primo, 6-6 freshman guard, Alabama. “He’s 18, the youngest kid in the draft. Whoever drafts him is getting a top 15 talent a year early. His shooting is not great, but he’s got some defensive versatility. You look at his face, it doesn’t look like a razor has ever touched it. But he does have a body that I could see developing. He’s got good overall core strength. By all accounts he has an incredible work ethic. A lot of people peg him as being just a shooter, but he’s better off the dribble than people thought. I could see a team with multiple picks taking him.”

Jeremiah Robinson-Earl, 6-9 sophomore forward, Villanova. “I love Villanova guys. They’re all about the right stuff. The only thing holding him back is his shooting. He might be one of the highest IQ guys in the draft. He could be like a Georges Niang, but Georges is a 43 percent 3-point shooter. He’s a little below average athletically, but his mind is so good it makes up for it. He needs to be a poor man’s Al Horford. He’s not the most physical kid, but I think he’ll do enough rebounding wise. He doesn’t have a lot of vertical pop. His shooting mechanics are not flawed, but he needs to develop consistency there.”

Day’Ron Sharpe, 6-11 freshman forward, North Carolina. “He’s not the quickest guy, but he’s got pretty decent feet. He’s not much of a scorer but he’s an underrated facilitator. You can run offense through him a little bit. He’s a really good prospect in today’s NBA. He’s a rim-roller dunker, he can switch a ball screen. He’s a Clint Capela, Rudy Gobert type of player in terms of their offense. The concern is he’s a little bit of a dinosaur offensively. He doesn’t really excel at anything at the moment. He’ll add tremendous value if he can become a pick-and-pop guy. From what I hear he’s gotten into terrific shape. He’s got a decent skill set.”

Jericho Sims, 6-10 senior forward, Texas. “Nobody helped himself more at the combine than Jericho. He’s freaky bouncy, he plays hard. Not very skilled, he’s more of a dunker, rim runner, lob finisher. His feel is not very good. I wouldn’t call him a great rebounder. Lateral movement is a question. Will he be able to switch off a screen? He only does one or two things well, but he does those really well. Moves his feet better than I’ve seen in a big in a long time. I don’t think he makes smart decisions. I don’t want the ball in his hands. He needs to show consistent energy. You can’t throw it to him on the block. He can’t make a free throw.”

Jaden Springer, 6-4 freshman guard, Tennessee. “I don’t see it with him. He’s not a point guard, he’s not an elite athlete, he doesn’t shoot it. He looks like a G League guy to me. All I heard coming into last season was what a great athlete he was. I know he played with a bad ankle so I’ll give him a pass for not showing it. I don’t quite understand where the upside is with him. He’s an OK shooter, not a terrific shooter. There’s some upside on the defensive side. I don’t think he has an identity. Is he a scorer or a point guard?”

Jalen Suggs, 6-4 freshman guard, Gonzaga. “He’s not the most talented player in the draft skill-wise, but he’s gonna rip your heart out to win a drill. The only thing I would question is his shooting. He will impact your organization and help you win games. I’ve heard his workouts have been great, but people are surprised how much work his passing needs. He’s got unbelievable confidence and swagger. He’s in the Jamal Murray model. If there’s a weakness, he’s got average size for his position. In our league he’s not gonna get to the basket like he did in college. He can be a little turnover prone.”

Cameron Thomas, 6-4 freshman guard, LSU. “He just wakes up and gets you 20. He’s not the biggest dude. He’s not a good athlete, he doesn’t put pressure on the rim, he doesn’t play any defense. Clearly one of the most confident players in this draft. There’s no shot he doesn’t like, so he has to rein that in and be more efficient. He was allowed to do a lot of things at LSU that I just don’t see him being allowed to do as a rookie in the NBA. He’s a hard worker and his teammates trust him to make shots. Doesn’t really do much outside of scoring. I’d say late first round, but it has to be a niche for him. He drew a **** ton of fouls, but a rookie is not going to get those calls.”

Franz Wagner, 6-9 sophomore forward, Michigan. “He’s big, he’s versatile. Doesn’t do anything great but gives you a little bit of everything. It’s weird because he’s got good shooting form; it just doesn’t go in. I don’t feel good when it leaves his hands. He’s not confident enough in himself. Excellent passer for his size, good defender. The major question is his shooting and lateral athleticism. Super intriguing. Really good size and skill. Not the toughest kid. I’d say 10 to late teens.”

Joe Wieskamp, 6-6 junior guard, Iowa. “He could be a smaller Duncan Robinson. He can really shoot it. He’s longer than you think. He’s a second-round pick, and I think he makes a rotation because he makes shots. Defensively he’s going to struggle. He’s not the toughest kid. Helped himself a lot in Chicago. Shot the ball well, tested well. Got a 6-11 wing span. I would take a chance on him. You wonder if he’s too mild-mannered.”

Aaron Wiggins, 6-6 junior guard, Maryland. “He’s a little bit of a dime a dozen. Average size, average athlete, good shooter but not elite. He’s shown flashes in college. He’s got a good midrange game. I just don’t trust him as a shooter. He’s a good athlete, plays hard, he’ll help you rebound. He’ll be able to help teams defensively right away. Three-and-D guy. Shooting is the biggest missing ingredient.”

Ziaire Williams, 6-8 freshman forward, Stanford. “Loads of potential, but he had a very disappointing season. I know he had COVID issues and other things going on. He’s a 6-8 shot maker so there’s potential there. Other than Jalen Johnson, I think Ziaire has the biggest potential to drop. He gets bumped off his line a lot. I don’t think he’s the toughest kid physically. I’ve heard complaints from his coaches at every level about his work habits. There’s a lot to like there, as a 3-point shooting hybrid forward. He’s really smart, so much that I wonder if he really loves basketball, or if has so many other interests.”

McKinley Wright IV, 6-0 senior guard, Colorado. “Just a pit bull winner. He’s gonna make a roster at some point even if he goes undrafted. He’s got elite speed in the open court. He had a very good few days in Chicago. Size is a concern, but he’s got good quickness, he can score. Really good speed and burst. Not quite as good a vertical athlete. Cannot shoot at all. An Ish Smith type. When we interviewed guys from the Pac-12 and asked who was the toughest guy in the league to guard, his name came up a lot.”

Back
Top Bottom