2025 NBA Draft Thread

Just give me Kai Jones or one of Moody/Bouknight for Charlotte.

seems like #7 will have a big effect

Charlotte is in a good spot. They have solid depth at the guard position, need another forward and def a big.

One of Devonte/Malik will be gone soon and Rozier is in the last year of his deal. Won’t be able to keep both miles and PJ imo. Zellar and Biz are both free agents so only Vernon and Nick Richards as the bigs for now.

wouldn’t surprise me if they extend an offer sheet to Jarrett Allen

One of Devonte/Malik will be gone soon and Rozier is in the last year of his deal. Won’t be able to keep both miles and PJ imo. Zellar and Biz are both free agents so only Vernon and Nick Richards as the bigs for now.

wouldn’t surprise me if they extend an offer sheet to Jarrett Allen

1626754411809.png

Emoni Bates, 6-8 forward, Bates Fundamentals
Needless to say, Bates was at the very top of my list of guys I wanted to see. I understand that the people who rank him so high and speak so well of his game have seen him a lot more than I have, and there’s a reason he was named Gatorade National Player of the Year as a sophomore. Still, I came away rather underwhelmed. Bates had an awesome game the night before I arrived, but he was really bad during the game I saw on Friday. He was uninterested, uninvolved, and he took a lot of awful shots. Bates ended up making 6-of-16 from the floor as his team lost by 20 points. Many of the coaches I was sitting with were also seeing him for the first time and had the same reaction. On the other hand, a veteran scout whom I respect simply shrugged. He insisted Bates was the real thing. “Sometimes the bad shots go in, sometimes they don’t,” he said.

Bates did play better the next two games — he made some of those tough shots, including a ridiculous fallaway 3-pointer from deep in the corner — but I still saw a lot of deficiencies. He is very slightly built, and for long stretches he seemed unengaged. Like a lot of players at this stage, Bates has little understanding of how to impact a game when he doesn’t have the ball. His best asset is his ballhandling, and when he is determined enough he can get to the rim almost anytime he wants. I wouldn’t say he’s great at finishing over size, but it’s impossible for defenders to stay in front of him. His defense wasn’t bad — it was nonexistent. On several occasions, I saw him try to defend a fast break that ended in a dunk.

It’s easy to see Bates’ potential. He is tall, long, and during flashes he shows an array of offensive skills. But the general consensus amongst coaches and scouts I talked to is that, while Bates hasn’t exactly regressed over the last year or two, he has not made the progress they expected. He was recently bumped down to No. 2 in the 247Sports composite rankings for the Class of 2022. That’s still very high, obviously, but it’s also a sign that things are not moving in a good direction. As has been well-documented, Bates attends a school in Michigan that was started by his family. His father, E.J., keeps his circle extremely tight — so tight, in fact, that he doesn’t like outside coaches and trainers to work with Emoni. So it’s fair to ask whether not being in a traditional school or a powerhouse prep program is hurting Bates’ progress. Time will tell.

Another thing I noticed about Bates is that you didn’t see a whole lot of big-name coaches at his games. That’s because nobody thinks he will spend a minute in college. He will most likely end up in the NBA G League, where he will get first-rate coaching, training and competitive exposure. It will be interesting to see how ready he is.
Jalen Duren, 6-9 forward, Team Final
This is one strong dude. Duren is a throwback big man. He doesn’t have much shooting range, but he does have some ability to create and pass off the dribble. He made some plays that reminded me of Julius Randle at this stage. Like a lot of players I saw, Duren goes long stretches without playing hard, but when he turns it on he can dominate the paint, especially on defense. Clearly a player at his size and position will need to become a much better shooter to succeed in the pros, but Duren could step into any college game right now and be a major force. Duren recently passed Bates on a lot of the national recruiting rankings, but he doesn’t have a stranglehold on that spot. He’s really good, but he’s not transcendent.

Duren is from Delaware and began his high school career in Philadelphia but is currently playing for Montverde Academy in Florida. He is still technically listed in the Class of 2022 but is widely expected to reclassify to ’21 very soon, and he has plenty of options as to where he will play this fall. The G League and the Australian National Basketball League are two of them, but if he goes to college his top three choices are Kentucky, Memphis and Miami. Why Miami? Because in April, Jim Larranaga hired D.J. Irving, who was an assistant coach at Roman Catholic High School in Philadelphia, where Duren played before transferring to Montverde. Irving also coached in the Team Final program, whose alums include former Hurricanes Lonnie Walker, Davon Reed and Ja’Quan Newton. It’s not often that we can say Miami has landed the No. 1 basketball recruit in the country, but a lot of people who are in the know believe that’s where this is headed.
D.J. Wagner, 6-3 guard, N.J. Scholars
Wagner is the consensus No. 1 prospect in the Class of 2023, so you’d think he was set up to disappoint a first-time viewer. Yet it took me all of five minutes to see that this kid is worth the hype. He has terrific size for a point guard, he’s ridiculously quick, and he made some artful midrange shots. Wagner is a weak 3-point shooter, but there’s no reason he can’t develop that range. I heard some comments that he can get a little too selfish at times on offense, but I didn’t see any of that. Wagner is an elite driver, facilitator and passer. He makes superb decisions and is always under control. He’s amazing at finishing around the rim, and he plays with a great spirit.

Wagner descends from basketball royalty. His grandfather, Milt, won an NCAA championship at Louisville in 1986. His father, Dajuan, played a year at Memphis and went on to become the No. 6 pick in the 2002 NBA Draft, though his pro career was cut short by injuries. All three Wagners played for Camden High in New Jersey, which itself is rare. D.J. is by all accounts a good student and a high-character kid. He was described to me as humble, well-spoken and appreciative of the chance to play, and while his father isn’t exactly shielding him from media exposure, he’s not going out of his way to make sure he gets it, either. If Wagner goes to college, it would be a huge shock if he ends up anywhere but Kentucky, whose coach, John Calipari, coached his dad at Memphis. Wagner’s brother, Kareem Watkins, also joined Kentucky as a walk-on last season.

Spot on assessments for both Bates and Duren.

If anyone watched Bates’ EYBL games and not just YT highlight reels…his deficiencies were on full display. Might have to rescind that “generational talent” label. I hope the G-League can iron out some things. Would have been good for him to spend some time getting coached away from his nest like Lamelo did for his senior year.

Don’t get it with Duren at all. He’s strong and blocks shots. Don’t see anything else. The Bam comparisons feel complexion-driven. I wouldn’t dare spend a top 3 pick on him tho. I’m not sure he’s a better prospect than Wiseman was.

Couple times I seen Duren just came way thinking he clearly bigger and stronger than anybody else, looks like yo be in the weight room already unlike most of his class mates :lol:

Skill wise and NBA potential I can’t call it cuz everything he does in high school relies on pure size/strength….Gotta see what he does in the G League or college

Couple times I seen Duren just came way thinking he clearly bigger and stronger than anybody else, looks like yo be in the weight room already unlike most of his class mates :lol:

Skill wise and NBA potential I can’t call it cuz everything he does in high school relies on pure size/strength….Gotta see what he does in the G League or college

Even projecting ahead based on what he's shown...I don't see him as a Tier 1 type of big that warrants a high pick. And I'm calling ducktales on him being 6'10. At least with Wiseman...he's 7'1 and if you squint hard you can see what it looks like if he does max out long term.
Duren is more Isaiah Stewart than a Tier 1 type. Which isn't bad at all...Stewart is going to make some money, but I'm just not buying the #1 ranking and potential franchise guy idea. As low as I am on Bates right now, he's still a better prospect.

Duren is draft eligible next year right?

VARNELL HILL VARNELL HILL yea he gotta officially reclassify, not sure of the status on that yet but should be doing that soon with semesters starting next month…And I’m with you on the tier he projects to be on but you know high school rankings luv bigs so I’m not surprised :lol:

I like Sharife Cooper for the Rockets if he's around for one of their late 1st round picks. KPJr, Green, and Cooper is nice young backcourt nucleus.

As we get closer, I'm really not that big a fan of the Knicks packaging 19 & 21 to move up to say 12 or 13.

Don't think there's that big a talent disparity between those picks.

As we get closer, I'm really not that big a fan of the Knicks packaging 19 & 21 to move up to say 12 or 13.

Don't think there's that big a talent disparity between those picks.

Seems like the consensus is they have someone targeted in that range. No idea what bust were about to draft. Have a feeling they want Davion or Kispert (Duncan Robinson rumors)

Seems like the consensus is they have someone targeted in that range. No idea what bust were about to draft. Have a feeling they want Davion or Kispert (Duncan Robinson rumors)

Hypothetically, would you rather have Corey Kispert or Chris Durarte & Trey Murphy?

Back
Top Bottom