24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

I just checked my score on my credit card online statement and it said it was 788. I guess paying my credit card in full last month really shot up my score, which was 721 last month. I learned from an early age on how crucial credit is. I'm not ruining my credit for anyone, not even family. I work to hard to get my score the way it is now.
Don't lend to anyone at all.

I just checked my score on my credit card online statement and it said it was 788. I guess paying my credit card in full last month really shot up my score, which was 721 last month. I learned from an early age on how crucial credit is. I'm not ruining my credit for anyone, not even family. I work to hard to get my score the way it is now.

My family is always asking me to co-sign for something lol. Just last week my cousin asked me to co-sign for a $5,000 mattress set. I don't even sleep on anything that luxurious. Why in the hell would I help somebody else sleep better than me? People are crazy. I don't co-sign anything but jokes.

You know somebody's priorities are all ****** when a cousin asks you to co-sign on a $5,000 mattress.

I put my parents first and above everything. I didn't have much knowledge on credit back then and my parents wanted me to apply for a store credit card for them which I did because they needed it. Till this day that's the only card in my credit profile I dislike cause I don't like store cards, I only have prime cards now. The only upside is that it did help build my credit in terms of history of length and on time payments so I guess I can't complain lol but I'll never add another store card to my credit profile again or even apply or take out loans etc for anyone anymore. I built my credit well and added only specific cards I like and wouldn't wanna ruin it now that I take credit serious and shaped it and got everything under control to my liking.

Last edited:
Chase only transferred $1200 of my $4800 Discover balance
mean.gif

When I signed up I thought they would transfer the entire Discover balance.

I would do anything for my family. My parents cosigned on my student loans, what do I look like not extending credit to them if they ever needed, and my money is my brothers money.

I refinanced my parents off of my loans though, those things were never their problem.

If denied don't apply for any credit for six months. It's a red alert for to other creditors...

Got declined. What are my next steps just wait it out or try to get a card with my bank? Or call and see if they can do something about it?

Got declined. What are my next steps just wait it out or try to get a card with my bank? Or call and see if they can do something about it?

Get on credit karma. See what are your odds on the card that are on their with your score. If you have bad to no credit, go with a secured card like capital one.

I had no credit and got denied multiple times before i got accepted by capital one. Gotta start somewhere. Now im at a 780

Someone stole my cc info. :x I have no idea how they did it since I haven't used it in a month.

Someone stole my cc info. :x I have no idea how they did it since I haven't used it in a month.

You don't have to use it for somebody to get a hold of it. RFID scanners can be used. If you pass within a couple feet of one they can get your info.

Cosigning for my parents and brothers has actually helped me out with my history but I wouldnt do it for anyone random ever

Last edited:
Yo question for everoyne, Ive had the same cc for the last 5 years with a low limit of 500. Ive never paid a dime in interest and was looking to up my loan amount to about 2500.

I called my Credit Union today only to find out that my card is discountinued and for me to do anything I would have to close out my old one.Now I am thinking of buying a home in the next 6-24 months and am curious to know how a move like this could help/ hurt my credit score and histroy.

Can anyone chime in and help a brotha out?

Yo question for everoyne, Ive had the same cc for the last 5 years with a low limit of 500. Ive never paid a dime in interest and was looking to up my loan amount to about 2500.

I called my Credit Union today only to find out that my card is discountinued and for me to do anything I would have to close out my old one.Now I am thinking of buying a home in the next 6-24 months and am curious to know how a move like this could help/ hurt my credit score and histroy.

Can anyone chime in and help a brotha out?

Don't close it out. That will drop your score cause your average age of accounts will drop. If you're thinking of buying a home in a year or more then just apply for a new card. Inquiries don't affect your score after a year I think. But they stay on your report for 2

Feel like I've been stuck at 740 for the past year. I've been carrying a 5k balance on one cc this past 2 years. But I'm about to pay it off in the next 2-3 months. That should bring the score up, right?

Dont they usually "upgrade" the card? So your join date would be the same if that were the case

You would think so, but they havent even upped my limit or offered to do so

Don't close it out. That will drop your score cause your average age of accounts will drop. If you're thinking of buying a home in a year or more then just apply for a new card. Inquiries don't affect your score after a year I think. But they stay on your report for 2

Thanks I was thinking this but wasn't sure if this would be a better option. Thanks a lot repped

Feel like I've been stuck at 740 for the past year. I've been carrying a 5k balance on one cc this past 2 years. But I'm about to pay it off in the next 2-3 months. That should bring the score up, right?

Suprised you still have a 740 with a 5k balance. You must have a really high limit on that card.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom