24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

I've earned almost $600 travel credit for a card I opened last sept. It's worth it.
What CC do you've?
Barclay. Look for cards with good signup bonus.

I've earned almost $600 travel credit for a card I opened last sept. It's worth it.

How much have you spent to get that? $6000? lol
Does it matter? It was money I was going to spend anyway. And I've have yet to spend or will spend 1cent to interest.

What CC do you've?
Barclay. Look for cards with good signup bonus.

How much have you spent to get that? $6000? lol
Does it matter? It was money I was going to spend anyway. And I've have yet to spend or will spend 1cent to interest.

That's what I'm saying. If your good with your money get a CC with rewards so you get a lil something back. That's why I got the discover card. it's a win-win (if your good with handling money/budget)

Whats up family wanted to see what advice others had. I have 3 cards no debt just paid them all off recently but i need to make a purchase of about 2000 ill pay that off in a couple months but i need to buy the item asap and im debating on putting all on my card and being stuck with the interest which will suck while im paying the balance on my card or if i should open a credit line at the store. Thier deal is 18 months interest free which wont take me anywhere near that long to pay, but im not gonna be using the card from the store again and i really dont want to open another card that after its balance is done i wont use again.

Last edited:
Whats up family wanted to see what advice others had. I have 3 cards no debt just paid them all off recently but i need to make a purchase of about 2000 ill pay that off in a couple months but i need to buy the item asap and im debating on putting all on my card and being stuck with the interest which will suck while im paying the balance on my card or if i should open a credit line at the store. Thier deal is 18 months interest free which wont take me anywhere near that long to pay, but im not gonna be using the card from the store again and i really dont want to open another card that after its balance is done i wont use again.

I'd go with the store card. Interest free is nice, and since you're going to be opening and closing in such a short amount of time, it shouldn't adversely affect your credit score.

4. Be mindful of your bills/debts. Don't let anything ever default, or go to collections, because that will drop your credit score hard. You're a grown up, be grown up about your finances.

Yep, my credit is completely shot because of a bogus parking ticket that went to collections. It was in a private lot (a lot I used almost every day for about six months), and the ticket didn't print out of the kiosk. I contacted the company immediately to let them know I paid for the parking spot, they said it'd be fine. Got a ticket (because of course I did). I called them again, they said to provide my bank statement showing I paid for the spot. I faxed it and e-mailed a scan of it, with the ticket and my ID and everything. Got a late notice on the ticket, they told me to send all the info again, so I did. Few weeks later, I get a bill from a collections agency. That $8 parking spot has destroyed my credit. I can't even rent a car.

I've done everything in my power to maintain some semblance of a decent credit score. I pay my card off in full every month, and only once missed a payment (was out of town) and they waived it because I was in good standing (I didn't even ask them to, they offered to waive it). It's just so frustrating.

4. Be mindful of your bills/debts. Don't let anything ever default, or go to collections, because that will drop your credit score hard. You're a grown up, be grown up about your finances.

Yep, my credit is completely shot because of a bogus parking ticket that went to collections. It was in a private lot (a lot I used almost every day for about six months), and the ticket didn't print out of the kiosk. I contacted the company immediately to let them know I paid for the parking spot, they said it'd be fine. Got a ticket (because of course I did). I called them again, they said to provide my bank statement showing I paid for the spot. I faxed it and e-mailed a scan of it, with the ticket and my ID and everything. Got a late notice on the ticket, they told me to send all the info again, so I did. Few weeks later, I get a bill from a collections agency. That $8 parking spot has destroyed my credit. I can't even rent a car.

I've done everything in my power to maintain some semblance of a decent credit score. I pay my card off in full every month, and only once missed a payment (was out of town) and they waived it because I was in good standing (I didn't even ask them to, they offered to waive it). It's just so frustrating.

Yeah man, sometimes **** like that just sucks. You can't control it, which makes it even more infuriating because something as important as your personal credit score is in the hands of complete strangers.

Just keep working on paying off that credit card and hopefully you'll get to where you need to be. Good habits are the most important, and it sounds like you have a pretty strong foundation when it comes to financial knowledge :pimp:

Amex kept sending me letters everyday to get a card for the last few months, finally went and got approved.

dont even know why :lol:

Yeah man, sometimes **** like that just sucks. You can't control it, which makes it even more infuriating because something as important as your personal credit score is in the hands of complete strangers.

Just keep working on paying off that credit card and hopefully you'll get to where you need to be. Good habits are the most important, and it sounds like you have a pretty strong foundation when it comes to financial knowledge :pimp:

The thing that bugs me is that it has nothing to do with being irresponsible with a credit card. I literally paid for something in cash (debit card), and have a bank statement to prove it, and my credit is destroyed because the minimum wage ******s on the other end couldn't figure it out. It's not like I got a parking ticket from the city because a meter ran out or I was in a No Parking zone.

Anyway, the good news is my parents credit score is like in the 820s, or something like that. If I ever need a co-signer for anything in the near future, I'm solid. I've proven to be responsible enough in every other way.

Besides credit cards how else can you boost your score?

I have a few hard checks and 2 credit cards and mine is only 720

What is it that you "have" to buy now?

It'll take 8 to 10 years for that to drop off your report. Just keep maintaining and it should go back up.

I don't know my credit score but I had the same thing happen over my mortgage. They autograft it on the 1st Friday which coincides with my payday then call and email/mail me a receipt that it went through. So as always, the first came and I was good. Then I get a call ont he 16th talking abut I haven't paid for the month. I log into my bank and see the payment went through then somehow got credited back a few days later. Log into the USBank site and see it as have reing never gone through, insufficient funds, even though the receipt is even on there saying it did. Somehow their system rejected the payment, and/or then tried to charge it again when it was already in and got an insufficient, I don't know but clearly not my fault when you tell me I'm good, everything shows I am, then wait til after the 15th (they report on the 15th) to call me and tell me something went wrong. So I paid it and a major penalty but they still reported it to the credit agencies. I work a Govt contractor job too so I have to maintain good credit for clearance's purpose. Lose my clearance and I lose my job, instantly. Whole system is a bunch of ********. I need to look at mine again in fact. Last time I did, I found a whole bunch of companies and overdue debts for things I never heard of before, for some reason almost all the collection agencies be out of California too. Don't know what that means but something I noticed

And don’t tell me debt is not a big deal. Debt will cut off your legs and laugh at you as you grovel in the dirt begging for mercy. If you don’t need it, don’t get it. If you can’t afford it, don’t get it. If you’re already in debt, get out quickly. If you think you’ll never get out, you’re right, you won’t. -Osavi Osar-Emokpae

I'm 20... applied for my credit card today with bofa. I got half secured with cash rewards and a 500 dollar limit. Also no interest for 1 year

I plan on only using my CC for gas for now.. any advice?

Last edited:
I'm 20... applied for my credit card today with bofa. I got half secured with cash rewards and a 500 dollar limit. Also no interest for 1 year

I plan on only using my CC for gas for now.. any advice?

Simple.

Use it strictly for gas, and pay it off every month.

I gotta get back to having good credit. I had a decent score until something came up and it went to ****. I now am on the road to trying to make it better.

Quick question if I pay off my cc in full and then close it will it affect my credit score negatively?

Back
Top Bottom