24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

For the west coast heads trying to hit Europe, British Airways has some amazing fares going on right now including to London in the $300 - 400 range.

Last Friday I booked a round way trip to Barcelona this April for $272.

Really wish my home airport was JFK, LAX or SFO. Flights out of San Diego are expensive af most times.

Got a trip to cancun this March and flights are $600. Need to use my TYP via Citi Prestige too before they nerf it.

Uber to sy, cross and take the flight from tj

It'd be cheaper for me to fly AA with my points out of SD.

And of course this article pops up 2 hours ago:

http://thepointsguy.com/2017/02/dea...om&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=MilesFeed.com

I have a bank of America cc and a capital one card as well.

Neither have benefits. Now that my credit is nearing the 7s (it finally in the low 5s) can I con tact each company and see if I qualify for a different card under each company? Like replace (upgrade in a way).

Does it reset my credit history on the card?

Really looking to get a card with bonuses because I have a decent amount of money flowing through my debit card weekly

I have a bank of America cc and a capital one card as well.

Neither have benefits. Now that my credit is nearing the 7s (it finally in the low 5s) can I con tact each company and see if I qualify for a different card under each company? Like replace (upgrade in a way).

Does it reset my credit history on the card?

Really looking to get a card with bonuses because I have a decent amount of money flowing through my debit card weekly
There should be an option to check this on your online accounts.

Or you can call them up and see what's up.

Okay now i'm starting to get a little uneasy, I reported the other day that i tried using credit wise/citibank to get a reading of my score, I then tried the free discovery reading and they also told me that i didn't have enough credit history to get a score. Problem is i have almost three years with my credit card & have gotten my scores in the past (a few months since i last checked). I used my freecredit report earlier & checked my credit report, everything seems to be fine, all info is represented, i haven't moved etc etc

Has anyone else had this problem? i want to req a card but i don't wanna do it if it's showing that i have no history :smh:

This issue is still going on and it's pissing me off now because i want to apply for a new card, but i don't wanna risk a hard pull if somehow my credit keeps popping up as "not enough history"

Anyone with a Chase Sapphire Reserve willing to give their 2 cents on how they like or dislike the card ?

Anyone with a Chase Sapphire Reserve willing to give their 2 cents on how they like or dislike the card ?
I like the card, despite the $450 annual fee. I mainly got it due to the generous 100k bonus for the 4k spend in 90 days. It's got other benefits that I take advantage of as well: travel reimbursement ($300), TSA/Global entry reimbursement (~$100), primary rental car insurance coverage (don't have to pay for additional car rental insurance coverage), trip insurance, concierge services, and price protections. So in terms of dollars for dollars, I've gained enough value from the card to offset the price of the $450 annual fee from the card's perks alone. When I factor in the 100k bonus, I'm deriving at least $1500 of value depending on how I use the points (hotels, flights, etc.). So year 1 of having the CSR has definitely been worthwhile for me.  

I'm unsure that I'll keep the card for year 2 due to the high annual fee and less travel next year, however I'm open to keeping it and that'll depend on what my annual rewards look like around December to gauge whether it'll be worth keeping. 

Hope that helps, fam. 

You should be able to easily get over $2K in value with the 100K sign up bonus in year 1. If you don't think the card is worth the fee, cancel it. It's a no brainer with the 100K sign up bonus.

Well I was thinking of the car isn't for me after the first year I'll downgrade to chase unlimited. The $450 AF is what has me thinking.

When you make purchases that go under the $300 travel credit does it still earn you points? Essentially double dipping since you earn points while you get reimbursed for those purchases.

You should be able to easily get over $2K in value with the 100K sign up bonus in year 1. If you don't think the card is worth the fee, cancel it. It's a no brainer with the 100K sign up bonus.
How can one get over $2k value with the 100k sign up bonus? Put me on, fam. 
nerd.gif

I've been using my UR points on flights and hotels and don't think I'll derive more than $1500 unless I'm strictly using it on hotels and resorts. I don't really derive much value from higher end hotels, so I typically spend more of my points on flights. Perhaps that's where I'm coming up short of the $2k figure. 

I too have been looking how to get the most out of the 100,000 points reward..been researching and it seems like the best way to is transfer points to a partner like Hyatt

anyone got input/experience?

How can one get over $2k value with the 100k sign up bonus? Put me on, fam. :nerd:

I've been using my UR points on flights and hotels and don't think I'll derive more than $1500 unless I'm strictly using it on hotels and resorts. I don't really derive much value from higher end hotels, so I typically spend more of my points on flights. Perhaps that's where I'm coming up short of the $2k figure. 

TPG values Chase UR poitns at 2.1 cents per point. I love transferring points to Hyatt. I'm going to Paris in May. Two nights at the Hotel Du Louvre would cost me $473/night but only 20K Hyatt points. I'd be getting a value of 2.35 cents per point if I stayed there.

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/08/best-ways-to-use-100k-ultimate-rewards-points/

Last edited:
I forgot to mention the $300 travel credit resets after your December statement so you'd be able to use the travel credit twice in year 1.

@Arrogant  Salute to you sir. Lmk if you guys are hiring no troll. 

I'm seeing on my Discover Card statement its showing my credit fico score of 734. Is that accurate?

If anyone can help, how can I check my credit score for my chase CC

Lastly, which chase card works best with racking up points towards flights.

Thanks!
anyone?

Different cards will pull from different credit bureaus.
So yes it is accurate, but remember that a different bureau may have a slightly different score.

Do you currently have a chase card that gives you your credit score?

laugh.gif
damn. What did you do different this month? Utilization?
All my CCs had credits/negative balances (I returned a bunch of Christmas stuff)

My damn Discover CC reported -$800 and I barely spent $ in January

laugh.gif

Last edited:
Do you have a super short credit history? I didn't think utilization would affect score by that much.

Do you have a super short credit history? I didn't think utilization would affect score by that much.

It will if you don't show any credit usage. His cards are in negative therefore looks like he's not using any credit. Wish I could remember the guys username who was arguing with me about that a while back saying not showing any credit usage wouldn't drop your score much :lol:

It will if you don't show any credit usage. His cards are in negative therefore looks like he's not using any credit. Wish I could remember the guys username who was arguing with me about that a while back saying not showing any credit usage wouldn't drop your score much
laugh.gif
Yup lol for best scores you want to report 1%-10% on one card , 0% on all other cards.

TPG values Chase UR poitns at 2.1 cents per point. I love transferring points to Hyatt. I'm going to Paris in May. Two nights at the Hotel Du Louvre would cost me $473/night but only 20K Hyatt points. I'd be getting a value of 2.35 cents per point if I stayed there.

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/08/best-ways-to-use-100k-ultimate-rewards-points/
Can you explain how you search / transfer the UR points?

I have the CSR as well (already at $3100 and only got it about 3 weeks ago) and want to plan a Euro trip.  I've heard of these people getting $20k business-class flights using points only and what not, but I wonder how hard it is to finesse that?  Just find the flight you want, then transfer points over, etc.   Or do you have to wait for specific times where the points have the most value?

Back
Top Bottom