24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

The Slate seems to be an "easier" card to qualify for in my experience, but there isn't much benefit from them. I'd rather have the Freedom Unlimited and get cash back on everything.

Got approved for capital one quick sliver cash back card. One step to building my credit

Just got approved for the freedom, meant to apply for the freedom unlimited. :smh:
I’ll try to call in the morning and see if they can upgrade it.

For those with Chase cards, do you have the Freedom or Freedom Unlimited? Any reason why you chose one over the other? I'm asking because I have a Freedom and I'm looking to pair it with a Sapphire Preferred - would switching my Freedom to an Unlimited help any more with rewards points or not really?

For those with Chase cards, do you have the Freedom or Freedom Unlimited? Any reason why you chose one over the other? I'm asking because I have a Freedom and I'm looking to pair it with a Sapphire Preferred - would switching my Freedom to an Unlimited help any more with rewards points or not really?

Depends on your personal spending habits. Do you regularly use the rotating 5% categories? If not, freedom unlimited will likely be better for you since it’s 1.5% on everything

My score just hit 679. So close to that 700 club. :pimp:
Makes me wanna apply for a new card. :lol:
Long climb back from 560s to 672.

Thinking of aiming for an AmEx when my score really recovers and stopping there. I already have 6 different cards. Gotta start consolidating those accounts I don't need anymore.

Anyone got any AmEx suggestions for someone around the mid 700s?

Depends on your personal spending habits. Do you regularly use the rotating 5% categories? If not, freedom unlimited will likely be better for you since it’s 1.5% on everything

I chose the Freedom Unlimited for this very reason. I use my FU for pretty much everything for the cash/points and pay it off right away while still keeping small balance.

Yeah the chase lady told me I can upgrade to the freedom unlimited now but I won’t get the $150 bonus. Gonna use the bonus from the freedom then upgrade.

Long climb back from 560s to 672.

Thinking of aiming for an AmEx when my score really recovers and stopping there. I already have 6 different cards. Gotta start consolidating those accounts I don't need anymore.

Anyone got any AmEx suggestions for someone around the mid 700s?

I use the Blue Cash everyday (3% cash back on groceries), no fee. There's also the Blue Cash preferred version that has 6% back on groceries with a fee.

I had regular freedom and switched to unlimited. I use my credit card for every purchase though so the math easily shook out for me

I applied for 4 cards between mid July and October, getting those cash back bonuses. Now my score finally dropped from 756 > 740 > 713. Since December 2015 I’ve made $2425 from 6 cards and 2 bank accounts ($975 from discover) so i def milked it :lol:

I’m gonna have to take out a car loan in like a month tho so it’s kind of bad timing

Which cards? Not a bad juug

I had an old auto loan removed from my report and I didn't necessarily want that to happen. How do I go about fixing that?

You can get your actual Fico Score 8 and credit reports from all 3 bureaus for $1 to see where you stand. Check out Credit Check Total and sign up. Once you get your scores, cancel the trial membership immediately otherwise they'll charge $30/month.

CK shows vantage scores, not Fico 8.
OK word thanks

I just had my credit ran for a mortgage about a month ago and I was sitting at 689. It wasn't totally updated either so I'm probably really across the 690 threshold at least.

Made big leaps in the past year. I just turned 25, had ran my credit cards up all stupid. Now I'm only utilizing like 25%. Should only improve from here on out really.

Which cards? Not a bad juug

6BB14D35-81BD-47F9-BFEA-FB7AA4CEF33E.png

That was my hold up w/ keeping my Plat since it was my oldest (8 years :sick:). Everything stays the same, except the card type (same number, apr, blah blah) so you good.

Ended up getting the upgrade and they bumped my credit like $3k without me asking :pimp:

The NFCU members out here.....you guys see they have an AMEX card you can get with them now? Also they are doing the less than $499 spent you get 6 months no interest and spend more than $500 you get 12 months no interest? The Amex had me intrigued.

Anybody ever have any luck getting old student loans missed payments removed from their credit? That's really all that's wrecking my scored currently.

Yo was that discover cash back from a IT match cash back card? I just signed up for it this week , when it comes in I was thinking I should just use it for all purchases to max out the match

Yup I made exactly 450 during my matching period then the rest afterwards. I could have made more because i only used it for like 6 months out of the 12. I would def recommend using it for everything. I mean why not? You’re getting money back on money you’d be spending anyway

Back
Top Bottom