24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

FICO Is About To Change Credit Scores. Here's Why It Matters

Credit scores for many Americans are about to change — even if they don't do anything.

The changes will be extensive. About 40 million Americans are likely to see their credit scores drop by 20 points or more, and an equal number should go up by as much, according to Joanne Gaskin, vice president of scores and analytics at FICO, the company at the heart of the credit scoring system.

Personal loans are growing faster than any other consumer debt category; Americans owe more than $300 billion on them. There are all kinds of personal loan offers in the mail, online and on TV. Many promise to lower your interest rate by consolidating credit card debt into a single loan.

For the first time, Gaskin says, FICO is breaking out personal loans as a distinct category to determine whether borrowers use them responsibly.

Why does that matter?

Let's say you pay off all your credit cards with a personal loan. Under the old system, your credit score might go up. But under the new approach, FICO will look back over a period of time — as far as two years — to see whether you've used the loan to reduce your high-interest credit card debt or whether you're using plastic as much as before, running up new revolving balances and falling deeper into debt.

"What we find is that potentially that consumer's credit file carries more risk than what was apparent," Gaskin says.

If your finances are in good shape and you already have a good credit score, you're likely to see your score improve, she says. But Gaskin says those whose scores will decline are typically people in the lower FICO score range, about 580 and below. (FICO scores range from 300 to 850.)

That's not good news for people who are struggling financially, says Marisabel Torres with the Center for Responsible Lending. "It sounds like we're penalizing people for getting into a bad situation."

Torres says people who already have low scores are most likely to see their scores go even lower — and that will worsen inequities in the credit system. With personal loans, people with good credit can qualify for good terms. But Torres says predatory lenders charge people with lower incomes very high interest rates.

Damn. People getting ****ed over just getting the pile on compounded.

So, I considered myself pretty decent with credit now. After reading a couple books, and a list of articles. In 2016 i had a 540 credit score, now I'm at like a 710, highest I've been was 730. My utilization rate percentage is around 9 percent..

On to the main point of this post.. For some reason, I knew my 9 percent interest rate on my car loan was high but I bugged out and just let it ride, because I've never refinanced ever. So, I posted a question in here mentioning I had 9% interest on my car loan. And I forgot who it was, was like man refinance that ****...

Finally refinanced it... Ya boy got that 3.6 percent rate on the refi...

So, I considered myself pretty decent with credit now. After reading a couple books, and a list of articles. In 2016 i had a 540 credit score, now I'm at like a 710, highest I've been was 730. My utilization rate percentage is around 9 percent..

On to the main point of this post.. For some reason, I knew my 9 percent interest rate on my car loan was high but I bugged out and just let it ride, because I've never refinanced ever. So, I posted a question in here mentioning I had 9% interest on my car loan. And I forgot who it was, was like man refinance that ****...

Finally refinanced it... Ya boy got that 3.6 percent rate on the refi...
If you don't me asking, how much were you paying and how much are you paying now on your loan?

I'll update later.
I'm at work.. I just got the push notification that my loan refi was approved and for at said rate..
I'm paying $330 currently.

^I love seeing this ish. This is why credit scores matter, and we should all be working to max it out. Unless you paying everything cash $..
From 9%-->3.65% is thousands in savings (depending on loan amount/years, but most likely).

Amex just increased my limit to 28k... glad I shredded that damn think. I'm supposed to on a promotion 10% apr, but I'm pretty sure they've been over charging me.

Loving the metal card. The bonus miles are getting me to Tokyo for only $62 out of pocket
IMG_20200208_131531 (1).jpg

Plain ol blue card. Started with the gold a few years ago to get a buncha flyer miles that I still haven't used, people keep tryin to steal em. Anyway I downgraded to the blue card because I don't like the idea of paying for a credit card

Yeah I use it for work travel so it’s worth it for me. The Lyft 10x is decent and I already have something like 600k in points so gotta stick with it.

Yeah I use it for work travel so it’s worth it for me. The Lyft 10x is decent and I already have something like 600k in points so gotta stick with it.

Same here. I have like 580k Chase UR points (across like 6 cards; CSR, CF, and 4 Chase business cards).

Keeping the CSR almost specifically for the 1.5x bonus when using their portal

turbospartan turbospartan yeah using for my honeymoon

Went into WF recently and my customer support person was like YOU HAVE 100K points, you gotta use them!

What other non-Chase cards do you have / use? I've stuck mostly with Chase as they seem to have the best overall package (sign up bonus, ease of use, UR portal, etc.). Have an old Capital One card, and an even older MSU credit union Visa that I've had for like 17 years now - both rarely get used.

2 things

-A few weeks ago my mom needed to make a decent size purchase so I recommended that she sign up for the Chase sapphire reserve and get the 60k bonus. She applied, got an email that they would let her know soon, but after 2 weeks they hadn’t responded and she went ahead with the purchase. Then of course a few days later chase responded and she got approved for the card and just got it the other day. But now she probably won’t meet the minimum spend. Anyone know if she just goes and makes a money order out to me, I cash it, and give her the cash, if that counts towards the minimum spend for chase? If there’s a fee or anything with the MO it’s alright as long as the minimum $4000 spend is met through chase

-checked my mail for the first time in like a month+ and I had letters that 2 of my first CC’s that I signed up for we’re going to close imminently because they were inactive for 18+ months. Sucks! I would have done a small charge to keep them active

I need to close this store card I opened back in 2018 that I don't use but I don't know if it would hurt my credit score

I need to close this store card I opened back in 2018 that I don't use but I don't know if it would hurt my credit score

Unfortunately, it will hurt your credit score.

In general, try to avoid opening store credit cards. Normally, their interest rates are high and offer minimal rewards/points.

2 things

-A few weeks ago my mom needed to make a decent size purchase so I recommended that she sign up for the Chase sapphire reserve and get the 60k bonus. She applied, got an email that they would let her know soon, but after 2 weeks they hadn’t responded and she went ahead with the purchase. Then of course a few days later chase responded and she got approved for the card and just got it the other day. But now she probably won’t meet the minimum spend. Anyone know if she just goes and makes a money order out to me, I cash it, and give her the cash, if that counts towards the minimum spend for chase? If there’s a fee or anything with the MO it’s alright as long as the minimum $4000 spend is met through chase

-checked my mail for the first time in like a month+ and I had letters that 2 of my first CC’s that I signed up for we’re going to close imminently because they were inactive for 18+ months. Sucks! I would have done a small charge to keep them active
what she order
she may be able to jut take the receipt there
and redo the payment with a refund and buy back
with her chase card

Pardon me if my approach to this is thread is wrong.

In December of 2019, I hung out with my brother in law and we were just talking about finances. He's big on it. I put my pride aside and I picked his brain on financial literacy and freedom. It felt embarrassing to say it out loud, but my credit score was 560. Both my TransUnion and Equifax. I was behind on my cards, had a medical bill pending and another in collections:

Capital One: Balance: $4,000 (estimated) Limit: $3,500
Gamestop Card: Balance $2,800 (estimated) Limit: $2,350
Medical bills: 1K

So I created a spreadsheet of everything I owed, again very humbling, and I went to work. My goal was to increase my score by 100pts by December 2020. No buying sneakers, no buying clothes, no fun. Just paying bills.

When I got paid, I would play a round robin of paying a big chunk to highest balances with the highest interest rate and then make micropayments to the others. I would make micropayments every week. $20 or $50, it didn't matter. I would pay something every week to bring that balance down and keep finance charges at bay. I continued that process and 3 months later I surpassed my goal.

All accounts have a 0 balance and my Equifax is now 710 and TransUnion is at 666 (should update in 7 days, Capital One hasn't reported my 0 balance). I've switched over to a Venture One card from Capital One to gain points in case I use it. All plastic has been locked up. The only time I use a card is my Apple Card and that's because I get cash back. However, I pay it off every week. My focus is solely on utilization now.

I will say this though. After doing this, I am a bit embarrassed and angry with myself for not doing this before. I sat down and though about it and asked myself, "Why didn't you think of this 2-5 years ago??" Screw it, it's done and done.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom