24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

What do you guys think? Think I’m good?
Trying to apply for the chase sapphire preferred
This is the credit checker on the chase app
A2EEEA12-EC8B-4869-9D3A-81ACFE1DA6E5.png

Try to find your actual FICO score. Those vantage scores aren't very accurate. They can be off by 30-50 points at times
I’m guessing it’s gonna be around 753-760. My discover and BofA apps have it around there but they haven’t updated in a month, since I had 3 hard inquires fall off

I just wanted to make sure for this one since if I didn’t get approved I’d have to wait a while cause I’d be over the 5/24 rule. I’ve been churning for like 4 years and this was like the last card I needed..After I get this bonus I need to figure out what my main cards gonna be

Just applied and got accepted :pimp: :pimp: ..Sucks I missed out on the extra $200 in the sign up bonus but I referred myself with my moms account so that’s an extra $150 to make up for it at least

Last edited:
Damn so I forgot to pay my BofA card and I was a day late and now they charged me a $25 late fee. Think if I call they’ll remove it? And what can I do to remove the late payment from my credit history? I haven’t missed a payment in my 5 years
Bro this happened to me with BoA last year. I had autopay set up to pay the monthly balance but somehow they missed a payment one month and reported it to the credit bureaus.

I feel we are not the only ones and this is a potential class action lawsuit

Discover finally gave me a CLI after 5 years. I tried online a couple months ago and they denied me for low utilization. I always pay off my balance every month. So I copped my girls engagement ring with my card and left like a $1600 balance then tried for another increase. They instantly approved me. Feels like a scam but I understand how the game goes, just gotta be responsible and use your credit as leverage.

Discover finally gave me a CLI after 5 years. I tried online a couple months ago and they denied me for low utilization. I always pay off my balance every month. So I copped my girls engagement ring with my card and left like a $1600 balance then tried for another increase. They instantly approved me. Feels like a scam but I understand how the game goes, just gotta be responsible and use your credit as leverage.

Uncle Junior in The Sopranos broke down credit card companies perfectly in this clip.

Starts at 00:18 and ends at 00:38

Let me give a brief history on my crappy credit and how I've been able to hit 760s in less than a year.
I never really cared to much about credit, and would pay late and pay minimum on low balanced cards ($1200). Went through a rough patch 5 years ago and a few accounts went into collections.
About 1.5 years ago, a family member hooked me up with a navy federal account. I didn't use it till I used them to purchase a used car at a low rate. At the time my score was about 620 with collections and derogs and a utilization of about 75% of low limit cards. I listened to Ramseys money make over, took some tips and payed off my low limit cards. I was able to get 2 cards from navy fed at 25k, each. Once that happened my score jumped to 720s. I paid off one account in collections which was about 2.5k and disputed another and surprisingly, the dispute was in my favor. Currently I'm at 25% utilization, no derogs, no collections. I use one card to pay rent and stack the points. The other card I use here and there. I plan on adding my son to my credit account so he can build his credit off of me and teach him, lessons I learned. My biggest surprise was winning disputes through credit karma. It was crazy easy and didn't even have to talk to anyone. I suggest utilizing it cause you never know. My whole goal was to get my credit up to Par for when I'm ready to get into the real estate game. For you guys having a hard time building, check out your credit unions

Got increased from 750 to 1800 w/o asking (stopped requesting a year ago)

Discover funny but fye

Let me give a brief history on my crappy credit and how I've been able to hit 760s in less than a year.
I never really cared to much about credit, and would pay late and pay minimum on low balanced cards ($1200). Went through a rough patch 5 years ago and a few accounts went into collections.
About 1.5 years ago, a family member hooked me up with a navy federal account. I didn't use it till I used them to purchase a used car at a low rate. At the time my score was about 620 with collections and derogs and a utilization of about 75% of low limit cards. I listened to Ramseys money make over, took some tips and payed off my low limit cards. I was able to get 2 cards from navy fed at 25k, each. Once that happened my score jumped to 720s. I paid off one account in collections which was about 2.5k and disputed another and surprisingly, the dispute was in my favor. Currently I'm at 25% utilization, no derogs, no collections. I use one card to pay rent and stack the points. The other card I use here and there. I plan on adding my son to my credit account so he can build his credit off of me and teach him, lessons I learned. My biggest surprise was winning disputes through credit karma. It was crazy easy and didn't even have to talk to anyone. I suggest utilizing it cause you never know. My whole goal was to get my credit up to Par for when I'm ready to get into the real estate game. For you guys having a hard time building, check out your credit unions

I love Navy Fed. My homey put me on to them a couple years ago because he does business with them. It'll be 2 years for me next year and they're my main FI. I started with a secured card and graduated to the Cash Rewards then PC'd to Plat. Time for a CLI from them now that I think about it. Great work on the credit repair and thanks for sharing!!

Easy $400

Did you already do this one? I've been waiting to see what counts as "DD" for CapOne, as I don't want to actually change my payroll DD to them.

Budget is trying to charge me almost $300 for replacing a lost key to the moving truck. Tempted to just tell them to go **** off as I really don't need credit for anything right now or in the future outside of a washer/dryer and new sectional. I think I might just go ahead and open up a new card for it before it hits my credit, **** them.

Easy $400

Opened my account and got my DD setup yesterday. Not sure if I entered in the promo code and I'll be calling after I meet the requirements to ensure that I get the bonus.

Budget is trying to charge me almost $300 for replacing a lost key to the moving truck. Tempted to just tell them to go **** off as I really don't need credit for anything right now or in the future outside of a washer/dryer and new sectional. I think I might just go ahead and open up a new card for it before it hits my credit, **** them.

You won't need anything for years to come?

Yea that doesn't sound like a future proof decision at all. That's going to stay on your report for 7 years and it's going to have a significant impact on your scores for the majority of that time span.

I would go over the rental agreement and be clear on what the terms were, and if you are actually liable, try to work it out with them first.

But end of the day, $300 isn't worth having a collection account on your report man. Who knows what opportunities you might want to leverage with good credit years from now, it's just not a question you can possibly answer now.

You need to figure that out. Call your credit card company and get them in on the dispute< Might help. Or like dude said above at least try some fact checking negotiating first.

Back
Top Bottom