25 Year-Old Poses as High School Student to Play Basketball Vol. Ball is Life

He is not wrong.

I used to play ball with some cats that were a bit older than I was and who ended up here. Most had graduated HS but when they arrived in the US, they were mysteriously able to enroll in junior/senior year of their respective HS.

It used to be much more prevalent in soccer until the early 2000s. Outside of players like Eto'o (who was recruited at an early age by Real Madrid), it was pretty much expected that pro soccer players from Africa were older than the age on their official paperwork.

article-2558313-1B72BDB800000578-214_634x417.jpg

"17 years old"

In this pic he looks as old as my dad (my dad is 56)

I remember Freddy Adu's old *** was an open secret. Had a mutual acquaintance who played on Potomac with him.

Washed by the time he arrived at Monaco.

Satchel-Paige-Feature-image.jpg

I admit this discussion is a bit of a stretch to bring up Satchel Paige, but there have been posts less on topic so hey.

I went to school with a guy who had a mustache when we were in kindergarten. Swore he half Puerto Rican half werewolf.

There was this one kid in my middle school who had a full beard. He would always shave but had thick stubble everyday

Sometimes its really a scam agent says ive got this 19 year old player who wants to try out guy says hes 6’11 dude comes here standing 6’6. The video the dude showed was a one on one workout with lowered rims i guess.

Asks him his age dude talks to his agent in a different language then answers 19 in English. He didn’t look 19 too.

aside from trying to talk to a 14 year old,,, i aint mad at him..... most people love sports, and wish they could have played varsity in hs, get looked at by colleges. get recruitment letters .... be loved by people based on winning and putting up stats..... dude lived his best basketball life for those months......

i cant go back to high school,,,, all that homework, and classwork,,,,,,,lol... in college you could get by in other ways,,, hs not so much

I understand the impulse, the desire to want to go back in time and be a better version of yourself during your teens and your 20's. It seems a cruel joke that the time in your life where you have a decent chance of playing competitive and organized sports is when you are way too young to understand its broader significance or the fact that it is such a fleeting part of your life.

When I was playing basketball in high school, I could never see the big picture and appreciate the process associated with it. In my early 20's, I was alone in my local gym and after putting up some jump shots, I proceeded to run a bunch of suicides, one after the other. Afterward, I was breathing hard and realized that I voluntarily did something that I had to be forced to do just a few years prior. I thought about how great it would have been to understand the value of conditioning back in high school.

With all of that said, you are not supposed to pose as high school students. You're basically cheating athletically and academically.

I remember meeting Freddy Adu when I was age 20 and thinking "Ain't no way in hell this dude is 3 years younger than me"

The thing that I find really sad about dude's story is the fact that he saw basketball as the sole means of improving his situation. It was either I'm going to make it with basketball or I'm going to be a criminal (stealing, dealing; and, possibly, killing). At a deeper level, I can't help but feel sorry for this guy. To me, he's a casualty or the end result of the ongoing war against black folks in this country: a person who is marginalized physically (when he becomes institutionalized) and mentally (one who sees no way out but to engage in criminal behavior). I hope this experience leaves an impression that forces him to question his life and role our unjust society has forced him to play.

Back
Top Bottom