48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by paliplaya2010

Originally Posted by ElVaquero87

So after 68 pages, how many still believe the answer is 2? I always liked math because the rules for it haven't changed in hundreds, maybe thousands of years but apparently I've been made aware there can now be several answers depending on the instructions
eyes.gif
. Those who say 2 need to go back to their elementary school teacher and have it taught to them again, because that's what this problem is, 6th grade math.

i think the answer is 288, my uncle, head of his math department, who has wrote 3 math textbooks and has his own math, says the answer is 2. i told him im not convinced. he laughed and said theres no convincing this is math and 2 is the answer. so before u call people stupid like i felt like doing until I checked, make sure ur right.

For any upper division math students, if yall use the chaos theory its cuz my uncle. Now try n tell him that an undergrad student is right n he's wrong or someone on a message bored is proving him wrong... lol

Originally Posted by paliplaya2010

Originally Posted by ElVaquero87

So after 68 pages, how many still believe the answer is 2? I always liked math because the rules for it haven't changed in hundreds, maybe thousands of years but apparently I've been made aware there can now be several answers depending on the instructions
eyes.gif
. Those who say 2 need to go back to their elementary school teacher and have it taught to them again, because that's what this problem is, 6th grade math.

i think the answer is 288, my uncle, head of his math department, who has wrote 3 math textbooks and has his own math, says the answer is 2. i told him im not convinced. he laughed and said theres no convincing this is math and 2 is the answer. so before u call people stupid like i felt like doing until I checked, make sure ur right.

For any upper division math students, if yall use the chaos theory its cuz my uncle. Now try n tell him that an undergrad student is right n he's wrong or someone on a message bored is proving him wrong... lol

It is two. Why has no one proven that the first step is to do the ENTIRE paranthesis first.

2(9+3) MUST be solved completely first. Wow!

It is two. Why has no one proven that the first step is to do the ENTIRE paranthesis first.

Originally Posted by ncmalko1

You obviously didn't read the responses. Wow!

You obviously didn't read the responses. Wow!

laugh.gif
, Someone needs to refresh themselves.  For probably not the final time, you do INSIDE the parenthesis ONLY.  the number outside the parenthesis and the resultant of inside the parenthesis then become multiplication.

Team 2 has no proof to back themselves up.

THEABOVE switched teams, that wraps this up.

Oh yeah... the answer is in my sig.

laugh.gif
, Someone needs to refresh themselves.  For probably not the final time, you do INSIDE the parenthesis ONLY.  the number outside the parenthesis and the resultant of inside the parenthesis then become multiplication.

Team 2 has no proof to back themselves up.

THEABOVE switched teams, that wraps this up.

Oh yeah... the answer is in my sig.

For this whole debate it comes down to three groups of people

1) This group of people are following PEMDAS exactly as its written. They believe you need to multiply before you divide. This group's answer is 2.

2) This group of people believe that 2(12) needs to be done first because the 2 is attached to the parenthesis. This group believes that the first order of operations is not only to solve whats IN the parenthesis, but whats attached to it also. This group believes the answer is 2.

3) This group believes that once the 9+3 is added, the parenthesis part of the equation is completed. Then you follow the order of operations. Since multiplication and division are equal in terms of order, you work from left to right. This group believes the answer is 288.

Group 3 FTW.

For this whole debate it comes down to three groups of people

1) This group of people are following PEMDAS exactly as its written. They believe you need to multiply before you divide. This group's answer is 2.

2) This group of people believe that 2(12) needs to be done first because the 2 is attached to the parenthesis. This group believes that the first order of operations is not only to solve whats IN the parenthesis, but whats attached to it also. This group believes the answer is 2.

3) This group believes that once the 9+3 is added, the parenthesis part of the equation is completed. Then you follow the order of operations. Since multiplication and division are equal in terms of order, you work from left to right. This group believes the answer is 288.

Group 3 FTW.

I asked 2 math teacher and an engineer and all 3 verified that you use pemdas after the entire bracket calculations are done. The answer is two.

I asked 2 math teacher and an engineer and all 3 verified that you use pemdas after the entire bracket calculations are done. The answer is two.

laugh.gif
, this is the best Team 2 can come up with.  Hear-say is inadmissible.  Proof?

laugh.gif
, this is the best Team 2 can come up with.  Hear-say is inadmissible.  Proof?

How can the answer be two when the entire parenthesis is 9+3. If we are going by what you are saying the answer is 288 since the 2 is not in the parenthesis/bracket

How can the answer be two when the entire parenthesis is 9+3. If we are going by what you are saying the answer is 288 since the 2 is not in the parenthesis/bracket

Originally Posted by waystinthyme

Originally Posted by Dragon

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

FOR THE 2 BELIEVERS ONLY!

SOLVE QUESTION 7 ON THIS PAGE
http://amby.com/educate/ord-op/pretest.html

/ether
/thread
this is just giving more reinforcement for the 2 believers, if that was your plan. I got everything right.....

again, you didn't go to the website, answer the question or check your score...if you did, you'd see that the answer to the question is 33. meaning you have to divide 36 by 4, before multiplying 9 (36 divided by 4) by the amount in the parenthesis (3; which we got from 5-2). 

this supports team 288, not team 2. 

you are free to join, once you realize you're wrong...we won't fault you for your previously held beliefs.

-waystinthyme

O.k. Team 2 please respond?

Originally Posted by waystinthyme

Originally Posted by Dragon

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

FOR THE 2 BELIEVERS ONLY!

SOLVE QUESTION 7 ON THIS PAGE
http://amby.com/educate/ord-op/pretest.html

/ether
/thread
this is just giving more reinforcement for the 2 believers, if that was your plan. I got everything right.....

again, you didn't go to the website, answer the question or check your score...if you did, you'd see that the answer to the question is 33. meaning you have to divide 36 by 4, before multiplying 9 (36 divided by 4) by the amount in the parenthesis (3; which we got from 5-2). 

this supports team 288, not team 2. 

you are free to join, once you realize you're wrong...we won't fault you for your previously held beliefs.

-waystinthyme

O.k. Team 2 please respond?

Back
Top Bottom