48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by prymone

Originally Posted by CertifiedSW

Originally Posted by alan713

It had to be 2, if you put the whole problem over 2 and divide every term by 2, you would get 24÷1(9+3) which will equal to two.

WHAT?
I'm out. 

u seem dissapointed? he checked his work, it worked out, answer is 2
No, I'm baffled. What the hell does that even have to do with the problem? Who cares if his answer comes out to 2?!?!
That's just like me saying, "look simplify everything to 1+1 and you get 2 so the answer must be 2"

What the @#$# does that have to do with the problem? 

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

Originally Posted by yungchris504

No it doesnt. The difference between what you wrote is implying that it is all one term when it is not they become 2 separate terms when you distribute.

as seen here

http://www.algebrahelp.co...ing/distribution/pg2.htm

the parenthesis HAS to go.
I kept the parenthesis so that means a 1 can be distributed 
roll.gif
why does 1 need to be distributed now? Do you agree to the idea that 2(9+3) according to the distributive theorem creates 2 different terms now? And if that is the indication the problem works out to 11.666666667
it doesn't though.

2(9+3)
(2*9  + 2*3)
(18 + 6)
(24)

then 48/24=2

that's how you properly distribute

No it doesnt. The difference between what you wrote is implying that it is all one term when it is not they become 2 separate terms when you distribute.

as seen here

the parenthesis HAS to go.
roll.gif
why does 1 need to be distributed now? Do you agree to the idea that 2(9+3) according to the distributive theorem creates 2 different terms now? And if that is the indication the problem works out to 11.666666667
it doesn't though.

2(9+3)
(2*9  + 2*3)
(18 + 6)
(24)

then 48/24=2

Originally Posted by do work son

roll.gif
it doesn't though.

2(9+3)
(2*9  + 2*3)
(18 + 6)
(24)

then 48/24=2

By distributing you are MULTIPLYING. Thus, you ARE NOT following order of operations. You're supposed to add 9+3 first before you do anything.
Why is this so difficult to understand? Why?

Team 2 right now:

1be3660549867e990b3ae55a9caa8d66ac7f56cf.gif

Trying to bring everything home but failing so miserably. 

roll.gif

Here is a question for you 
what is the difference between   48/1 and 48.

Nothing. 

You do not have to write 48/1. 

so X(a+b) = 1*( Xa+Xb) . Is that wrong?

I never said anything about the 1 I have no idea why you even included it seems redundant. What is wrong though is x(a+b) does not equal (xa + xb) it equals (xa) + (xb). One states that xa and xb must be added TOGETHER the other states they are 2 seperate terms that eventually lead to addition for xb. Are you saying the distributive theorem does not give 2 terms and it only gives 1 term? if so you are wrong and the link i posted proves that it creates 2 separate terms.

roll.gif

Here is a question for you 
what is the difference between   48/1 and 48.

Nothing. 

You do not have to write 48/1. 

so X(a+b) = 1*( Xa+Xb) . Is that wrong?

I never said anything about the 1 I have no idea why you even included it seems redundant. What is wrong though is x(a+b) does not equal (xa + xb) it equals (xa) + (xb). One states that xa and xb must be added TOGETHER the other states they are 2 seperate terms that eventually lead to addition for xb. Are you saying the distributive theorem does not give 2 terms and it only gives 1 term? if so you are wrong and the link i posted proves that it creates 2 separate terms.

roll.gif
it doesn't though.

2(9+3)
(2*9  + 2*3)
(18 + 6)
(24)

then 48/24=2

By distributing you are MULTIPLYING. Thus, you ARE NOT following order of operations. You're supposed to add 9+3 first before you do anything.

Team 2 right now:

No One changed anything. I even wrote it with variables.

Let me write it so you understand

A + B = B + A (check)
(Xa + Xb) = X(a+b) (check)

Z ÷ (Xa + Xb) can we factor out the X yes we can ---> Z ÷ X(a+b)
eek.gif
How credible do you really think you are when you stated that you dont need to solve/simplify whats in the parenthesis first?

are you going to disprove the proof he just showed?

A + B = B + A (check)

Since you & others seem to keep ignoring this.
Yes, you can apply distribution. Distribution is an act of multiplication.
BUT they are not truly applicable to the problem at hand.
That last example is not correct. You would ge
t z ÷ [X(a+b)].
If you had Z
÷X(a+b) , the distribution is an act of multiplication.
BUT there is division first.
In that example, you would be distributing [Z
÷X(a)]+[Z÷X(b)]
THAT IS HOW DISTRIBUTION WORKS!
There is division first. It has to be included in this distribution.
IT IS FACT.

[48
÷2(9)]+[48÷2(3)]
That is how you distribute. You follow order of operations, division and then multiplication within each bracket.
[24(9)]+[24(3)]
216+72 = 288

roll.gif
it doesn't though.

2(9+3)
(2*9  + 2*3)
(18 + 6)
(24)

then 48/24=2

Son here you go peep this page

The distributive property creates 2 seperate terms HOW CAN THEY BECOME 2 SEPARATE TERMS WHEN YOU ARE GROUPING THEM AS ONE?

WHAT?
I'm out. 

No, I'm baffled. What the hell does that even have to do with the problem? Who cares if his answer comes out to 2?!?!
That's just like me saying, "look simplify everything to 1+1 and you get 2 so the answer must be 2"

It has everything to do with the problem, if it is simplified then there is no way you can get a 288 out of it.

WHAT?
I'm out. 

It has everything to do with the problem, if it is simplified then there is no way you can get a 288 out of it.

roll.gif
it doesn't though.

2(9+3)
(2*9  + 2*3)
(18 + 6)
(24)

then 48/24=2

Son here you go peep this page

The distributive property creates 2 seperate terms HOW CAN THEY BECOME 2 SEPARATE TERMS WHEN YOU ARE GROUPING THEM AS ONE?

forgot all about Khan Academy.org it's a really good site, if you're still in school.
There are a lot of videos on distributive property and Order of Op.

Notice in this vid, he doesn't go distributing all willy nilly when there is no need to

@ around 1:53

forgot all about Khan Academy.org it's a really good site, if you're still in school.
There are a lot of videos on distributive property and Order of Op.

Notice in this vid, he doesn't go distributing all willy nilly when there is no need to

@ around 1:53

No One changed anything. I even wrote it with variables.

Let me write it so you understand

A + B = B + A (check)

eek.gif
How credible do you really think you are when you stated that you dont need to solve/simplify whats in the parenthesis first?

are you going to disprove the proof he just showed?

A + B = B + A (check)

Since you & others seem to keep ignoring this.
Yes, you can apply distribution. Distribution is an act of multiplication.
BUT they are not truly applicable to the problem at hand.
That last example is not correct. You would ge
t z ÷ [X(a+b)].
If you had Z
÷X(a+b) , the distribution is an act of multiplication.
BUT there is division first.
In that example, you would be distributing [Z
÷X(a)]+[Z÷X(b)]
THAT IS HOW DISTRIBUTION WORKS!
There is division first. It has to be included in this distribution.
IT IS FACT.

[48
÷2(9)]+[48÷2(3)]
That is how you distribute. You follow order of operations, division and then multiplication within each bracket.
[24(9)]+[24(3)]
216+72 = 288

Originally Posted by dmxgod

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

FAIL.
Every Math teacher would tell you the same thing..

PEMDAS FTW
Its a damn shame what the american education system has turned into if teachers are saying this
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
..nice ignorant statement..but spend a week in the life of a teacher..try teaching Math to students with disabilities/at risk youth/students who are unmotivated/and lack support..hell try teaching all the core subject areas to students like I mentioned..
tired.gif

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

FAIL.

PEMDAS FTW
Its a damn shame what the american education system has turned into if teachers are saying this
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
..nice ignorant statement..but spend a week in the life of a teacher..try teaching Math to students with disabilities/at risk youth/students who are unmotivated/and lack support..hell try teaching all the core subject areas to students like I mentioned..
tired.gif

roll.gif
it doesn't though.

2(9+3)
(2*9  + 2*3)
(18 + 6)
(24)

then 48/24=2

Team 2 right now:

the reason you do PEMDAS is to simplify all the terms, so to simplify 2(9+3) you are multiplying to satisfy the parenthesis (the first step of pemdas) even if you add the inside first, the next step would be to multiply the 2 and (12) to simplify and get rid of the parenthesis

PEMDAS FTW
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
..nice ignorant statement..but spend a week in the life of a teacher..try teaching Math to students with disabilities/at risk youth/students who are unmotivated/and lack the support..hell try teaching all the core subject areas to students like I mentioned..
tired.gif
im supposed to feel sorry cuz your girl helps at youth risk? the women is still wrong. If jesus said the answer was 2 id tell him to sit down and explain to him he is wrong.

roll.gif
it doesn't though.

2(9+3)
(2*9  + 2*3)
(18 + 6)
(24)

then 48/24=2

Team 2 right now:

the reason you do PEMDAS is to simplify all the terms, so to simplify 2(9+3) you are multiplying to satisfy the parenthesis (the first step of pemdas) even if you add the inside first, the next step would be to multiply the 2 and (12) to simplify and get rid of the parenthesis

PEMDAS FTW
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
..nice ignorant statement..but spend a week in the life of a teacher..try teaching Math to students with disabilities/at risk youth/students who are unmotivated/and lack the support..hell try teaching all the core subject areas to students like I mentioned..
tired.gif
im supposed to feel sorry cuz your girl helps at youth risk? the women is still wrong. If jesus said the answer was 2 id tell him to sit down and explain to him he is wrong.

it doesn't though.

2(9+3)
(2*9  + 2*3)
(18 + 6)
(24)

then 48/24=2

Team 2 right now:

So we are back to multiplying before dividing?
roll.gif
roll.gif

you guys literally go full circle with your excuses

C'mon, after 100+ pages it should be clear that the answer is 288 to the problem as written. All the people getting 2 are adding a set of parentheses that aren't there in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom