48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by yungchris504

Originally Posted by Mo Greene

Originally Posted by dmxgod

..nice ignorant statement..but spend a week in the life of a teacher..try teaching Math to students with disabilities/at risk youth/students who are unmotivated/and lack support..hell try teaching all the core subject areas to students like I mentioned..
tired.gif

she helps at-risk students, so that means she is right about going in order with PEMDAS [/team 2 logic]

Like my man Put in Work says remove the division symbol and turn it into a multiplication problem by writing the reciprocal 
so

the reciprocal of 48 / 2(9+3) = 48/1 * 1(2(9+3) = 48 * (1/12) = 2
you just proved yourself wrong
48/1 * 1[2(9+3)]
48/1 * 1[2(12)]

48/1 * 1[24]

..nice ignorant statement..but spend a week in the life of a teacher..try teaching Math to students with disabilities/at risk youth/students who are unmotivated/and lack support..hell try teaching all the core subject areas to students like I mentioned..
tired.gif

she helps at-risk students, so that means she is right about going in order with PEMDAS [/team 2 logic]

Like my man Put in Work says remove the division symbol and turn it into a multiplication problem by writing the reciprocal 
so

If you want to turn it into a multiplication problem by using the reciprocal, the only thing you need to do is change divided by 2 into times .5.
48 times .5 times 12. It doesn't matter what order you do it in.
You are using the wrong denominator. The numerator is 48. The denominator is 2.
You guys are just ignoring what we are saying trying to prove that you are right. It is just ridiculous now. Seriously.

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

Every Math teacher would tell you the same thing..

PEMDAS FTW
Its a damn shame what the american education system has turned into if teachers are saying this
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif

roll.gif

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

Every Math teacher would tell you the same thing..

PEMDAS FTW
Its a damn shame what the american education system has turned into if teachers are saying this
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif

roll.gif

tired.gif

so

If you want to turn it into a multiplication problem by using the reciprocal, the only thing you need to do is change divided by 2 into times .5.
48 times .5 times 12. It doesn't matter what order you do it in.
You are using the wrong denominator. The numerator is 48. The denominator is 2.
You guys are just ignoring what we are saying trying to prove that you are right. It is just ridiculous now. Seriously.

Originally Posted by CertifiedSW

so

Lol wow. You guys stay changing the problem as much as you can. 
"Yeah let's find the reciprocal, ignore order of operations, and throw a whole bunch of parentheses in there so we can show em how we got 2!" 
I didn't change the problem instead of dividing I am now multiplying by reciprocals
what is 48 / 2 = 24 ok what is (48 / 1) * (1/2) = 2 same damn thing. It is math as long as you follow the rules you can manipulate any equation you want. 

so

"Yeah let's find the reciprocal, ignore order of operations, and throw a whole bunch of parentheses in there so we can show em how we got 2!" 
I didn't change the problem instead of dividing I am now multiplying by reciprocals
what is 48 / 2 = 24 ok what is (48 / 1) * (1/2) = 2 same damn thing. It is math as long as you follow the rules you can manipulate any equation you want. 

so

Which you don't know how to properly do it.
(48 / 1) * (1/2) = 24 not 2.
And then you multiply 24 by 12, which is 288. You just keep proving that it is 288.

so

And then you multiply 24 by 12, which is 288. You just keep proving that it is 288.

Originally Posted by alan713

No, I'm baffled. What the hell does that even have to do with the problem? Who cares if his answer comes out to 2?!?!
That's just like me saying, "look simplify everything to 1+1 and you get 2 so the answer must be 2"

What the @#$# does that have to do with the problem? 
It has everything to do with the problem, if it is simplified then there is no way you can get a 288 out of it.
Yeah my bad, it actually does relate to the problem. But if you do what you did you end up with 24/1(9+3)
See how from here you now follow the order of operations rule. So you go from left to right since multiplication and division are of the same rank.

So you would do 24/1 = 24

24(12) = 288
Can we agree that 1(9+3) is equal to (9+3)?

No, I'm baffled. What the hell does that even have to do with the problem? Who cares if his answer comes out to 2?!?!
That's just like me saying, "look simplify everything to 1+1 and you get 2 so the answer must be 2"

What the @#$# does that have to do with the problem? 
It has everything to do with the problem, if it is simplified then there is no way you can get a 288 out of it.
Yeah my bad, it actually does relate to the problem. But if you do what you did you end up with 24/1(9+3)
See how from here you now follow the order of operations rule. So you go from left to right since multiplication and division are of the same rank.

24(12) = 288

24(12) = 288
There's no doubt in my mind that it does. But you are doing the equation wrong. Come on man, it's right there in front of your face.
You're proving yourself wrong right now because you are doing MULTIPLICATION FIRST. You're not supposed to! You divide 24/1 first.

THEN, you do multiplication. Look at my response and follow out the steps man. 

People getting an answer of 2 are stubborn as hell. You guys have been proven wrong time and time again yet you guys still persist on saying the answer is 2. I don't understand why. 

PEMDAS:

MULTIPLICATION AND DIVISION ARE OF THE SAME RANK AND THUS YOU GO FROM LEFT TO RIGHT WHEN BOTH ARE SEEN IN ONE PROBLEM.

I don't know how many times this has to be reiterated, if you understand this concept (which is very simple) you should more than easily understand the problem. 

24(12) = 288
There's no doubt in my mind that it does. But you are doing the equation wrong. Come on man, it's right there in front of your face.
You're proving yourself wrong right now because you are doing MULTIPLICATION FIRST. You're not supposed to! You divide 24/1 first.

THEN, you do multiplication. Look at my response and follow out the steps man. 

People getting an answer of 2 are stubborn as hell. You guys have been proven wrong time and time again yet you guys still persist on saying the answer is 2. I don't understand why. 

PEMDAS:

MULTIPLICATION AND DIVISION ARE OF THE SAME RANK AND THUS YOU GO FROM LEFT TO RIGHT WHEN BOTH ARE SEEN IN ONE PROBLEM.

I don't know how many times this has to be reiterated, if you understand this concept (which is very simple) you should more than easily understand the problem. 

so

48/1 * 1/[2(9+3)]
48/1 * 1/[2(12)]

48/1 * 1/[24]

288  2
you are right. I wrote the problem wrong I forgot to add the / between the 1 and 2. I am surprise team 288 didn't catch that.I fixed it above though

so

48/1 * 1/[2(9+3)]
48/1 * 1/[2(12)]

48/1 * 1/[24]

288  2
you are right. I wrote the problem wrong I forgot to add the / between the 1 and 2. I am surprise team 288 didn't catch that.I fixed it above though

Originally Posted by snakeyes17

damn that is incorrect too I been going at this too much 
I meant 24 it was just a typo

so

48/1 * 1/[2(9+3)]
48/1 * 1/[2(12)]

48/1 * 1/[24]

288  2
That's not the reciprocal man. 48 is divided by 2. (9+3) is divided by 1.
The problem is not 48 divided by (2(9+3)) or [2(9+3)]
Stop adding in things that aren't there.
The only thing in the denominator is 2. 48 divided by 2. That is multiplied by (9+3)
I don't understand how you cannot grasp that.

Originally Posted by snakeyes17

damn that is incorrect too I been going at this too much 
I meant 24 it was just a typo

so

48/1 * 1/[2(9+3)]
48/1 * 1/[2(12)]

48/1 * 1/[24]

288  2
That's not the reciprocal man. 48 is divided by 2. (9+3) is divided by 1.
The problem is not 48 divided by (2(9+3)) or [2(9+3)]
Stop adding in things that aren't there.
The only thing in the denominator is 2. 48 divided by 2. That is multiplied by (9+3)
I don't understand how you cannot grasp that.

someone from team 2 PLEASE simplfy 48/2/12 and explain how they did it.

I knew American education was garbage, but this....smh

Originally Posted by il prescelto

I'll just put it out there.
Left to right, only division.
48 divided by 2 is 24.
24 divided by 12 is 2.
I don't know what the point of your post is?

Originally Posted by il prescelto

I'll just put it out there.
Left to right, only division.
48 divided by 2 is 24.
24 divided by 12 is 2.
I don't know what the point of your post is?

the answer is 288 how is this still open

48 / 2 *(9+3)

Simple order of operations left to right with * and / having the same order of precedence. 48 / 2 will always be the first operation.

Damn dudes really be arguing about math like this???

LOL

Whats the big deal? its just a number

#@#% math too btw

Back
Top Bottom