48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by snakeyes17

Originally Posted by do work son

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

How credible do you really think you are when you stated that you dont need to solve/simplify whats in the parenthesis first?

are you going to disprove the proof he just showed?

A + B = B + A (check)
(Xa + Xb) = X(a+b) (check)

Z ÷ (Xa + Xb) can we factor out the X yes we can ---> Z ÷ X(a+b)
Since you & others seem to keep ignoring this.
Yes, you can apply distribution. Distribution is an act of multiplication.
BUT they are not truly applicable to the problem at hand.
That last example is not correct. You would ge
t z ÷ [X(a+b)].
If you had Z
÷X(a+b) , the distribution is an act of multiplication.
BUT there is division first.
In that example, you would be distributing [Z
÷X(a)]+[Z÷X(b)]
THAT IS HOW DISTRIBUTION WORKS!
There is division first. It has to be included in this distribution.
IT IS FACT.

[48
÷2(9)]+[48÷2(3)]
That is how you distribute. You follow order of operations, division and then multiplication within each bracket.
[24(9)]+[24(3)]
216+72 = 288
What if I wrote it as 
Z ÷ (Xa + Xb) 

tell me what this equation is once the X is factored out of the parenthesis 

How credible do you really think you are when you stated that you dont need to solve/simplify whats in the parenthesis first?

A + B = B + A (check)

t z ÷ [X(a+b)].
If you had Z
÷X(a)]+[Z÷X(b)]
IT IS FACT.

[48
÷2(9)]+[48÷2(3)]
That is how you distribute. You follow order of operations, division and then multiplication within each bracket.
[24(9)]+[24(3)]
216+72 = 288
What if I wrote it as 
Z ÷ (Xa + Xb) 

C'mon, after 100+ pages it should be clear that the answer is 288 to the problem as written. All the people getting 2 are adding a set of parentheses that aren't there in the first place.

Originally Posted by CertifiedSW

it doesn't though.

2(9+3)
(2*9  + 2*3)
(18 + 6)
(24)

then 48/24=2

that's how you properly distribute
By distributing you are MULTIPLYING. Thus, you ARE NOT following order of operations. You're supposed to add 9+3 first before you do anything.
Why is this so difficult to understand? Why?

Team 2 right now:

1be3660549867e990b3ae55a9caa8d66ac7f56cf.gif

Trying to bring everything home but failing so miserably. 

the reason you do PEMDAS is to simplify all the terms, so to simplify 2(9+3) you are multiplying to satisfy the parenthesis (the first step of pemdas) even if you add the inside first, the next step would be to multiply the 2 and (12) to simplify and get rid of the parenthesis
So we are back to multiplying before dividing?
roll.gif
roll.gif

you guys literally go full circle with your excuses

it doesn't though.

2(9+3)
(2*9  + 2*3)
(18 + 6)
(24)

then 48/24=2

By distributing you are MULTIPLYING. Thus, you ARE NOT following order of operations. You're supposed to add 9+3 first before you do anything.

Team 2 right now:

the reason you do PEMDAS is to simplify all the terms, so to simplify 2(9+3) you are multiplying to satisfy the parenthesis (the first step of pemdas) even if you add the inside first, the next step would be to multiply the 2 and (12) to simplify and get rid of the parenthesis
No it isn't. PEMDAS is used to solve the problem. Parentheses, the first step, is to solve what is inside. Then you do division, and then multiplication.
2 and (12) exist because parentheses had to be used to solve 9+3 first. After that, the intended purpose of them has been satisfied. That is why we say 2(12) is the same as 2*12. No action must be taken within the parentheses. Division occurs first, then multiplication.
You don't have to "get rid" of the parentheses. You have to simplify what is within them. You get rid of them but solving the problem according to the order of operations.

it doesn't though.

2(9+3)
(2*9  + 2*3)
(18 + 6)
(24)

then 48/24=2

Team 2 right now:

No it isn't. PEMDAS is used to solve the problem. Parentheses, the first step, is to solve what is inside. Then you do division, and then multiplication.
2 and (12) exist because parentheses had to be used to solve 9+3 first. After that, the intended purpose of them has been satisfied. That is why we say 2(12) is the same as 2*12. No action must be taken within the parentheses. Division occurs first, then multiplication.
You don't have to "get rid" of the parentheses. You have to simplify what is within them. You get rid of them but solving the problem according to the order of operations.

Originally Posted by alan713

Originally Posted by prymone

u seem dissapointed? he checked his work, it worked out, answer is 2
No, I'm baffled. What the hell does that even have to do with the problem? Who cares if his answer comes out to 2?!?!
That's just like me saying, "look simplify everything to 1+1 and you get 2 so the answer must be 2"

What the @#$# does that have to do with the problem? 
It has everything to do with the problem, if it is simplified then there is no way you can get a 288 out of it.
Yeah my bad, it actually does relate to the problem. But if you do what you did you end up with 24/1(9+3)
See how from here you now follow the order of operations rule. So you go from left to right since multiplication and division are of the same rank.

So you would do 24/1 = 24

24(12) = 288

Originally Posted by alan713

Originally Posted by prymone

u seem dissapointed? he checked his work, it worked out, answer is 2
No, I'm baffled. What the hell does that even have to do with the problem? Who cares if his answer comes out to 2?!?!
That's just like me saying, "look simplify everything to 1+1 and you get 2 so the answer must be 2"

What the @#$# does that have to do with the problem? 
It has everything to do with the problem, if it is simplified then there is no way you can get a 288 out of it.
Yeah my bad, it actually does relate to the problem. But if you do what you did you end up with 24/1(9+3)
See how from here you now follow the order of operations rule. So you go from left to right since multiplication and division are of the same rank.

So you would do 24/1 = 24

24(12) = 288

Originally Posted by dmxgod

Every Math teacher would tell you the same thing..

PEMDAS FTW
Its a damn shame what the american education system has turned into if teachers are saying this
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
..nice ignorant statement..but spend a week in the life of a teacher..try teaching Math to students with disabilities/at risk youth/students who are unmotivated/and lack support..hell try teaching all the core subject areas to students like I mentioned..
tired.gif
I studied to become and Pre-school-4th (Generalist) Grade teacher.  At some point in this lifetime I plan on actually getting in the classroom
so I would never make light of how hard a teachers job is especially a SPED teacher or a middle school teacher, but the fact is that teaching

PEMDAS (with multiplication taking priority over Division) is just incorrect.

PEMDAS FTW
Its a damn shame what the american education system has turned into if teachers are saying this
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
..nice ignorant statement..but spend a week in the life of a teacher..try teaching Math to students with disabilities/at risk youth/students who are unmotivated/and lack support..hell try teaching all the core subject areas to students like I mentioned..
tired.gif
I studied to become and Pre-school-4th (Generalist) Grade teacher.  At some point in this lifetime I plan on actually getting in the classroom
so I would never make light of how hard a teachers job is especially a SPED teacher or a middle school teacher, but the fact is that teaching

PEMDAS (with multiplication taking priority over Division) is just incorrect.

PEMDAS FTW
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif

she helps at-risk students, so that means she is right about going in order with PEMDAS [/team 2 logic]

Originally Posted by yungchris504

A + B = B + A (check)

t z ÷ [X(a+b)].
If you had Z
÷X(a)]+[Z÷X(b)]
IT IS FACT.

[48
÷2(9)]+[48÷2(3)]
[24(9)]+[24(3)]
216+72 = 288
What if I wrote it as 
Z ÷ (Xa + Xb) 

I don't even know what you are asking me to do, and that is not an equation.
I addressed that all, Z ÷ (Xa + Xb)  is the same thing which I quoted...
Just read what I quoted, it will explain exactly what I wanted to say.

PEMDAS FTW
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif

she helps at-risk students, so that means she is right about going in order with PEMDAS [/team 2 logic]

A + B = B + A (check)

t z ÷ [X(a+b)].
If you had Z
÷X(a)]+[Z÷X(b)]
IT IS FACT.

[48
÷2(9)]+[48÷2(3)]
[24(9)]+[24(3)]
216+72 = 288
What if I wrote it as 
Z ÷ (Xa + Xb) 

I don't even know what you are asking me to do, and that is not an equation.
I addressed that all, Z ÷ (Xa + Xb)  is the same thing which I quoted...
Just read what I quoted, it will explain exactly what I wanted to say.

Originally Posted by Mo Greene

tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif

laugh.gif
 QFT.
I mean, I completely respect what your girl is doing but there is no excuse for just flat out being wrong. 

tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif

Like my man Put in Work says remove the division symbol and turn it into a multiplication problem by writing the reciprocal 
so

the reciprocal of 48 / 2(9+3) = 48/1 * 1(2(9+3) = 48 * (1/12) = 2

tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif

laugh.gif
 QFT.
I mean, I completely respect what your girl is doing but there is no excuse for just flat out being wrong. 

tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif

Like my man Put in Work says remove the division symbol and turn it into a multiplication problem by writing the reciprocal 
so

tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif

tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif

tired.gif

so

Lol wow. You guys stay changing the problem as much as you can. 
"Yeah let's find the reciprocal, ignore order of operations, and throw a whole bunch of parentheses in there so we can show em how we got 2!" 

tired.gif

so

Lol wow. You guys stay changing the problem as much as you can. 
"Yeah let's find the reciprocal, ignore order of operations, and throw a whole bunch of parentheses in there so we can show em how we got 2!" 

tired.gif

so

you just proved yourself wrong
48/1 * 1[2(9+3)]
48/1 * 1[2(12)]

48/1 * 1[24]

Back
Top Bottom