48÷2(9+3) = ???

the answer is 288 how is this still open

48 / 2 *(9+3)

Simple order of operations left to right with * and / having the same order of precedence. 48 / 2 will always be the first operation.

Damn dudes really be arguing about math like this???

LOL

Whats the big deal? its just a number

#@#% math too btw

Originally Posted by snakeyes17

Originally Posted by il prescelto

someone from team 2 PLEASE simplfy 48/2/12 and explain how they did it.

I knew American education was garbage, but this....smh

I'll just put it out there.
Left to right, only division.
48 divided by 2 is 24.
24 divided by 12 is 2.
I don't know what the point of your post is?

yeah but you're team 288 hahaha, I expect you to get 2. My understanding is that (at least some) Team 2 people agree on going left to right, but think that the 2 HAS to be "distributed" ( btw distribution is just multiplication, no need to use another term, they're the same, and you guys are just confusing yourselves) before dividing, because in their mind ()'s come before division. I would expect those Team 2 people to go left to right in the expression I posted, and since there are no ()'s anywhere, they would divide 48 by 2, get 24, divide that by 12, and get 2 (as you correctly explained). Those people would realize that they get the same answer (2), but the two problems are different. One is 48/2(12), the other is 48/2/12; they're obviously different.

"the reason you do PEMDAS is to simplify all the terms, so to simplify 2(9+3) you are multiplying to satisfy the parenthesis (the first step of pemdas) even if you add the inside first, the next step would be to multiply the 2 and (12) to simplify and get rid of the parenthesis".  I would expect this person, for example, to get 2...and then be utterly confused because they are experiencing cognitive dissonance, and as a consequence try to somehow justify their work or explain how my problem actually yields 288.

Originally Posted by snakeyes17

Originally Posted by il prescelto

someone from team 2 PLEASE simplfy 48/2/12 and explain how they did it.

I knew American education was garbage, but this....smh

I'll just put it out there.
Left to right, only division.
48 divided by 2 is 24.
24 divided by 12 is 2.
I don't know what the point of your post is?

yeah but you're team 288 hahaha, I expect you to get 2. My understanding is that (at least some) Team 2 people agree on going left to right, but think that the 2 HAS to be "distributed" ( btw distribution is just multiplication, no need to use another term, they're the same, and you guys are just confusing yourselves) before dividing, because in their mind ()'s come before division. I would expect those Team 2 people to go left to right in the expression I posted, and since there are no ()'s anywhere, they would divide 48 by 2, get 24, divide that by 12, and get 2 (as you correctly explained). Those people would realize that they get the same answer (2), but the two problems are different. One is 48/2(12), the other is 48/2/12; they're obviously different.

"the reason you do PEMDAS is to simplify all the terms, so to simplify 2(9+3) you are multiplying to satisfy the parenthesis (the first step of pemdas) even if you add the inside first, the next step would be to multiply the 2 and (12) to simplify and get rid of the parenthesis".  I would expect this person, for example, to get 2...and then be utterly confused because they are experiencing cognitive dissonance, and as a consequence try to somehow justify their work or explain how my problem actually yields 288.

30t6p3b.gif

this thread is full of people who want to act like distribution is something completely different from multiplication (its not) and therefore doesnt have to follow order of operations

distribution is multiplication and therefore comes after division in this problem

team 288: youre putting multiplication before division, stop
team 2: its not multiplication, its distribution
team 288:
indifferent.gif

and whats this dividing the whole problem by 2 results in the answe still being 2 BS on the previous page?  like how the hell is your answer not 1
sick.gif

this thread is full of people who want to act like distribution is something completely different from multiplication (its not) and therefore doesnt have to follow order of operations

distribution is multiplication and therefore comes after division in this problem

team 288: youre putting multiplication before division, stop
team 2: its not multiplication, its distribution
team 288:
indifferent.gif

and whats this dividing the whole problem by 2 results in the answe still being 2 BS on the previous page?  like how the hell is your answer not 1
sick.gif

Can't we all just come to the fact that in America, we were never taught math the right way? I mean come on, we have a customary measuring system.

This is just proof once again that America screwed us up.

Can't we all just come to the fact that in America, we were never taught math the right way? I mean come on, we have a customary measuring system.

This is just proof once again that America screwed us up.

Back
Top Bottom