5 Albums That Should Already Be Considered Classics

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT... there is only one person in here that think "It's Dark and Hell Is Hot" is a classic?. :smh:
bone thugs E.1999 eternal is also a classic

Last edited:
WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT... there is only one person in here that think "It's Dark and Hell Is Hot" is a classic?. :smh:
bone thugs E.1999 eternal is also a classic

I think I'm the only one to mention it. :smh:

"It's dark and hell is hot" is a classic.

I'm probably one of the few people who doesn't think GRODT is a classic

Actually, I thought I was the only one who doesn't think it's a classic...I agree wit you gee...Truthfully, I'll take Power of a Dollar over Get Rich or Die Trying any day of the week.

"They say the good die young, I guess us crooked ninjas live a long time..."

edit - Imma following the directions.

- Kanye West, 808s & Heartbreak. This more than his other release (which are classics too) usher in a whole new era for music IMO, most especially rap.
- Kid Cudi, Man on the Moon II: The Legend of Mr. Rager
- Lupe Fiasco, Food & Liquor
- Kendrick Lamar, good kid, m.A.A.d city. Classic (All time great even) the day it hit.
- OutKast, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below. This was a game changer too.

My 2 cents for what it's worth...

Last edited:
Imma start off by saying I'm bias against the south. I'm sorry, but that's my honest truth. I respect a few southern rappers (Luda, Face, T.I. up to and including "King", Trick), but lyrically, I find most southern music to be subpar. Fight me.

Somebody had mentioned "The Dynasty"...anything with Amil on it automatically eliminates it from being a classic, even if she's only on 1 or 2 tracks. That album was the beginning of the end for Bleek too.

My contributions (and I think they have all been mentioned) are;

"It's Dark and Hell is Hot" - dope from beginning to end; only features were Sheek, the Lox, and Ma$e.

"Capital Punishment" - I actually didn't see anyone mention this. First latin to go platinum. Pun woulda prevented a lot of corniness from ever materializing...I wont' get into details though

"Supreme Clientelle" - Arguably the greatest album to come out of the Wu camp...Most people are going to go with OB4CL...i'm not gonna fight with you...a few will say Ironman is better than Supreme...we'll agree to disagree

"A Gangster and a Gentlemen" - I'd say this is NOT a classic album, but certainly worthy of honorable mention. I just wanna include the Lox somehow, some way, but their albums are almost ALWAYS subpar. And for the record "Money, Power, Respect" >>>> "We are the Streets". Any time Swizz produces an entire album, it comes out weak...

"The Infamous" - wait, does this album actually need to be discussed? Or are we all in agreement that this is a classic? In truth, I'd take The Infamous over Reasonable Doubt...that's not a knock on RD, but "Eye for an Eye", "Survival of the Fittest", "Shook Ones pt 2", and "Temperature's Rising" are better than the top 4 on RD.

LOVE having hip hop conversations.

Also, Drake is terrible.

Imma start off by saying I'm bias against the south. I'm sorry, but that's my honest truth. I respect a few southern rappers (Luda, Face, T.I. up to and including "King", Trick), but lyrically, I find most southern music to be subpar. Fight me.

Somebody had mentioned "The Dynasty"...anything with Amil on it automatically eliminates it from being a classic, even if she's only on 1 or 2 tracks. That album was the beginning of the end for Bleek too.

"It's Dark and Hell is Hot" - dope from beginning to end; only features were Sheek, the Lox, and Ma$e.

"Capital Punishment" - I actually didn't see anyone mention this. First latin to go platinum. Pun woulda prevented a lot of corniness from ever materializing...I wont' get into details though

"Supreme Clientelle" - Arguably the greatest album to come out of the Wu camp...Most people are going to go with OB4CL...i'm not gonna fight with you...a few will say Ironman is better than Supreme...we'll agree to disagree

"A Gangster and a Gentlemen" - I'd say this is NOT a classic album, but certainly worthy of honorable mention. I just wanna include the Lox somehow, some way, but their albums are almost ALWAYS subpar. And for the record "Money, Power, Respect" >>>> "We are the Streets". Any time Swizz produces an entire album, it comes out weak...

"The Infamous" - wait, does this album actually need to be discussed? Or are we all in agreement that this is a classic? In truth, I'd take The Infamous over Reasonable Doubt...that's not a knock on RD, but "Eye for an Eye", "Survival of the Fittest", "Shook Ones pt 2", and "Temperature's Rising" are better than the top 4 on RD.

Also, Drake is terrible.

I can't agree with you on that fam, yeah the albums you listed are dope but to sweep the whole south under the rug nah we have a disconnection there so ATLiens not a classic AQUEMINI or TI c'mon and the Dynasty in regards to HOV was a collab album of the whole ROC which changed the hiphop scene for a while most of those tracks were bangers from top to bottom

i don't mess with a lot of southern rap either, but there is some talent down there

j cole, little brother, curren$y

drake is real man, people don't like him because they think he's gay, but one think about drake, he doesn't act like something he's not

also, we can stop mentioning be, grotd, infamous, and yeezy, this committee has already deemed them classics, no arguing it

oh and of course gkmc lol

Also, Drake is terrible.

Hard Knock Life isn't a classic? :lol:

"The Infamous" - wait, does this album actually need to be discussed? Or are we all in agreement that this is a classic? In truth, I'd take The Infamous over Reasonable Doubt...that's not a knock on RD, but "Eye for an Eye", "Survival of the Fittest", "Shook Ones pt 2", and "Temperature's Rising" are better tha

I LOVE having hip hop conversations.

Also, Drake is terrible.

Hush, no you don't. Clearly your first statement made anything you said afterwards irrelevant. As if great Hip-Hop only exists or flourishes on the East Coast. :rolleyes

Black Album
GRODT
Late Registration
MBDTF
Good Kid M.A.A.D City - I agree, an instant classic
K.R.I.T Wuz Here - this is a personal classic for me so eff what ya'll talkin about lol
TM 101 - Can hate all you want but paved the way for trap rap as a mainstream, marketable genre of hip-hop. Yes the Clipse and others did it before but everyone became a D-Boy after TM 101 dropped :lol:
Tha Carter 3 - For the simple fact that it sold a Mil in a week. Period. In this day and age that's unheard of in Hip Hop. IDGAF what ya'll say and I don't even cut for Carter 3 that hard.

Not recent and I'm sure in alot of circles are considered classics but they haven't been mentioned yet so I'll say...
Twista - Adrenaline Rush
UGK - Ridin' Dirty
UGK - Dirty Money

I honestly think there are plenty more recent albums that deserve a "classic" title.

- Preciate it.

I can't agree with you on that fam, yeah the albums you listed are dope but to sweep the whole south under the rug nah we have a disconnection there so ATLiens not a classic AQUEMINI or TI c'mon and the Dynasty in regards to HOV was a collab album of the whole ROC which changed the hiphop scene for a while most of those tracks were bangers from top to bottom

I actually forgot to include Outkast...that's my bad. You won't get an arguement from me about Aquemini or ATLiens...I prefer Aquemini to ATLiens. But the point of that disclaimer was to first and foremost present my bias. I don't give southern rappers a fair shake. It is what it is. I actually included TI in my list of southern rappers I like, but TI hasn't put out anything good since King, in my opinion.

Collab albums weren't new to Dynasty. Ruff Ryders already held down the collab albums, years before teh Dynasty album. And I'll take Ryde or Die vol 1 over Dynasty. I also find that album to be top heavy. Once you get to the song with snoop, it kinda falls off except for 1-900 hustler.

Hush, no you don't. Clearly your first statement made anything you said afterwards irrelevant. As if great Hip-Hop only exists or flourishes on the East Coast. :rolleyes

Black Album
GRODT
Late Registration
MBDTF
Good Kid M.A.A.D City - I agree, an instant classic
K.R.I.T Wuz Here - this is a personal classic for me so eff what ya'll talkin about lol
TM 101 - Can hate all you want but paved the way for trap rap as a mainstream, marketable genre of hip-hop. Yes the Clipse and others did it before but everyone became a D-Boy after TM 101 dropped :lol:
Tha Carter 3 - For the simple fact that it sold a Mil in a week. Period. In this day and age that's unheard of in Hip Hop. IDGAF what ya'll say and I don't even cut for Carter 3 that hard.

Not recent and I'm sure in alot of circles are considered classics but they haven't been mentioned yet so I'll say...
Twista - Adrenaline Rush
UGK - Ridin' Dirty
UGK - Dirty Money

I honestly think there are plenty more recent albums that deserve a "classic" title.

- Preciate it.

LOL...there's always someone who thinks their opinions are "righter" than others.

We talkin bout music homie...which by definition is subjective. I stated my subjectivity up front.

We can agree to disagree, which is why, as I stated, I love having hip hop conversations, but I dont pretend to like everything. Souther rap, for the most part, is not my cup of tea. Does that offend you? That's unfortunate.

And I do think the west coast dropped a series of classics in the early-mid 90's...I dont' think great hip hop ONLY flourishes in the east coast, but I DO think that MOST great hip hop flourishes on the east coast.

As for your list...I can actually agree with you on someo fhose selections.I wont comment on KRIT or any of the albums following that for reasons stated above, but i can see why people say GRODT is a classic (i just disagree) and MBDTF is, in my opinion, Kanye's best or 2nd best album (Late Registration being the other).

Why do some of you guys get so upset when people aren't of the same mind as you...? Reminds me of the JB section...lol.

Back
Top Bottom