5 Albums That Should Already Be Considered Classics

Two more that I'm surprised haven't been mentioned are

Word of Mouf
Chicken and Beer

I think Word of Mouf is pretty worthy of the title. Chicken and Beer is a VERY good album but I don't know if I'd call that one a classic even though it was commercially more successful.

What y'all think of Kiss The Game Goodbye?

- Preciate it.

:lol: after listening to Vol. 2 I stand corrected. It's a B+ album at best. Vol. 3 is better, but there are 3-4 songs that need skipping.

The def of a classic should be CD's that need zero skipping.

Hmmm time for me to dabble in this thread....

Get rich, thug motivation 101 and kanye's first 3 are the next albums that will gain the classics tag. Get rich for bridging hardcore rap back with main stream popularity. CD,LR and Graduation for being a new genre of hip hop and of course TM101 for....it's adlibs. But I do want to recognize an album that when brought up would get the classic title but is rarely ever brought up. I'm talking about one of the greatest hip hop albums ever: Only built 4 Cuban linx. Maybe because growing up in NY made me a hardcore wu-head at the perfect time but Raekwon's first solo effort is undoubtedly made a mark on hip hop. From wu- gambinos, to glaciers of ice this album is nuts. Def a classic. And I've said this time and time again, In my life time vol 2. HKL is Jay's coming out album. To me personally it's his best but people have a soft spot for reasonable doubt. I remember when reasonable doubt came out and know one was really listening to it....cause we were all still bumping tical and OB4CL. Don't forget about ironman too but I digress........

:lol: after listening to Vol. 2 I stand corrected. It's a B+ album at best. Vol. 3 is better, but there are 3-4 songs that need skipping.

Told you! I deserve a rep dammit! :lol:

laugh.gif
after listening to Vol. 2 I stand corrected. It's a B+ album at best. Vol. 3 is better, but there are 3-4 songs that need skipping.

3-4? There wasnt that many man. Name these songs.

Then lets define classic by NT standards and stick to them...

NT definition:
Highly lyrical
Flawless production
Transcends genre
Changes the way future hip hop albums are released/made
Has an extremely high replay value (20+ years later it'll still be a go-to)
Has no skippable tracks
Skits tie the album together
First of it's kind? (is that even possible at this point?)

About right?

- Preciate it.

NT definition:
Highly lyrical
Flawless production
Transcends genre
Has no skippable tracks

About right?

- Preciate it.

this should be enough.

NT definition:
Highly lyrical
Flawless production
Transcends genre
Has no skippable tracks

About right?

- Preciate it.

I think "changes the way albums are" is a little over the top.

By that standard it's only like 10 to 15 real classics.

But I agree with everything else. And 20 years is a little long. You should know in a decade.

I was kinda being funny with that list. I think those standards are a little high. I mean c'mon, an album has to change the face of music to be considered a classic? In that case there are only like 2 or 3 hip hop classics. Some of those Wu-Tang and East Coast albums that have been named can be taken off the list then cuz clearly those are regional classics. Ain't nobody outside of NY checking for Ironman :rofl:

Before ya'll get butt hurt, by no means am I saying albums like that aren't GREAT albums and arguably classics, but by those standards I posted it would seem to me that a classic album would need to be universally accepted and renowned.

For the same reason that YOUR favorite album does not make it a classic, YOU not liking an album doesn't NOT make it a classic. I think we can all agree on that.

- Preciate it.

I'm gonna have to say Below the Heavens by Blu and Exile.

From lyrics to production to the way the entire album flows is nearly flawless imo.

any conversation regarding Vol 2: Hard Knock Life not being a classic is ludicrous.

Last edited:
any conversation regarding Vol 2: Hard Knock Life not being a classic is ludicrous.

Volume 1 was better.....................

Anyway my contribution..............

Carter III
Drake Thank Me Later
Nas/Damian - Distant Relatives
Ross- God Forgives I Dont
Kanye- My Dark Beatiful Twisted Fantasy

Back
Top Bottom